PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul will quit on February 6

banyon
12-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Ron Paul Tops $6 Million in One Day
By JAMES BELTRAN – 3 days ago

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul so far has raised more than $18 million in the final three months of the year, an aide to the Texas congressman said Monday.

The campaign's fourth-quarter fundraising total of $18.2 million includes a one-day haul of $6.2 million raised Sunday through the Internet, said campaign spokesman Jesse Benton.

Paul, a 10-term congressman with libertarian views, said his fundraising success ensures he'll continue to campaign regardless of how he fares in the Iowa caucuses on Jan. 3, the first contest on the presidential nominating calendar.

"We have the support, the momentum and the money," Paul told The Associated Press after an event in downtown Des Moines.

Paul said he'd stay in the race at least until Feb. 5, when two dozen states hold contests.

"Nobody would understand if I faded out before Feb. 5," he said.

Paul registers mostly in upper single digits and is way behind his major rivals in most polls in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, states that vote early next year, but he was optimistic his standing would improve as more people learn about him.

He has benefited from an enthusiastic core of supporters who, among other things, have launched a Ron Paul blimp. On Sunday, they held a one-day online fundraiser that included a re-enactment of the Boston Tea Party — an event meant to promote Paul's call for freedom. It was similar to a fundraiser Nov. 5 in which Paul set a one-day, online GOP presidential fundraising record by raking in $4.2 million.

Paul beams with pride when discussing his "uncharacteristic" group of supporters, many of whom are drawn by his opposition to the war in Iraq.

"The crowds are so interesting," he said. "Some of the people sitting together, you'll have people there with hairdos that are different and purple hair, sitting next to a banker or a doctor. I think that's delightful."

Paul is the only GOP presidential candidate calling for a quick withdrawal of troops from Iraq. He also supports limiting federal spending, opposes the federal income tax and urges Americans to push for a fiscally responsible government.

He said he encourages supporters to dream up other creative ideas such as blimps and tea parties to get his message across.

"If you're working that hard and investing your time and your money, you better have some fun," Paul said. "This gets too boring if it gets too serious."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iY-dAdE8H0DRIJmiuNG9yqasmIgwD8TJHMHO1

recxjake
12-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I doubt it... he will run 3rd party.

1. Republican ticket
2. Democrat ticket
3. Paul
4. Bloomberg
5. Green ticket
6. Christian Conservative ticket if necessary

A lot of $$, a lot of candidates this year I think.

banyon
12-21-2007, 08:32 AM
I doubt it... he will run 3rd party.

1. Republican ticket
2. Democrat ticket
3. Paul
4. Bloomberg
5. Green ticket
6. Christian Conservative ticket if necessary

A lot of $$, a lot of candidates this year I think.

PAUL: No, I don’t plan to run in a third party. That’s not my goal. But if we have a candidate that loves the war and loves the neo-con position of promoting our –

jAZ
12-21-2007, 08:32 AM
He should run in the General Election as well.

Taco John
12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
What a reach... If Bloomberg runs, and the Republicans have to move towards a Brokered convention, that scenario favors a Ron Paul presidency.

banyon
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
What a reach... If Bloomberg runs, and the Republicans have to move towards a Brokered convention, that scenario favors a Ron Paul presidency.

It's not rock solid, but I think it's pretty close to the mark.

In any event it would be about when he quits the campaign for the Republican nomination, even if he stages an indy campaign later.

And you think the establishment at the convention is really going to pick Paul?

You've been complaining for months about the disrespect Paul supporters get at even relatively minor straw polls/caucuses, but you think that trend is not going to continue at a national event with security and all?

Taco John
12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
It's not rock solid, but I think it's pretty close to the mark.

In any event it would be about when he quits the campaign for the Republican nomination, even if he stages an indy campaign later.

You're not even close. Ron Paul has already talked about his late state strategy. You're taking a quote and spinning its context way out of meaning.

Taco John
12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
You've been complaining for months about the disrespect Paul supporters get at even relatively minor straw polls/caucuses, but you think that trend is not going to continue at a national event with security and all?

What are you talking about? Ron paul dominates straw polls and mock caucuses.

banyon
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
What are you talking about? Ron paul dominates straw polls and mock caucuses.

I'm not talking about the numbers, I'm talking about people getting shut out, not allowed to participate, etc.

Taco John
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't think that you understand: Ron Paul intends on winning this whole thing. He has not made plans to drop out. He won't do that until he's forced to due to lack of support.

Iowanian
12-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Just think how much good could be done with the money ronPaul is wasting on this election....

Taco John
12-21-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm not talking about the numbers, I'm talking about people getting shut out, not allowed to participate, etc.

They can't shut down a convention. Just because a Fred Thompson supporting straw poll shut down due to too many Ron Paul supporters doesn't mean that they're going to be able to do that once St. Paul rolls around.

For what it's worth, Ron Paul won another Straw poll:
http://www.aikenstandard.com/2007redesign/news/290572708960974.php

banyon
12-21-2007, 08:58 AM
You're not even close. Ron Paul has already talked about his late state strategy. You're taking a quote and spinning its context way out of meaning.

What is his "late state strategy"? Wait until the nomination is locked up by someone else and spend all of his campaign $ on a squadron of blimps to patrol Alaska and score a symbolic victory there?

Taco John
12-21-2007, 09:04 AM
What is his "late state strategy"? Wait until the nomination is locked up by someone else and spend all of his campaign $ on a squadron of blimps to patrol Alaska and score a symbolic victory there?

Edwards screws some whore and you get all pissy. Sorry if your guy screwed you over.

Cochise
12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
The caucus format probably favors him more than the others, because they remove the results further from the true measure of support among the general public. But regardless, I am not sure how someone who finishes fourth or fifth in all the races after super tuesday will be able to continue to be seen as a serious candidate.

banyon
12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Edwards screws some whore and you get all pissy. Sorry if your guy screwed you over.

Allegedly. (ahem)

Eh, I'm not pissy. I'm just razzin' ya.

Seriously, though, what is the "late state strategy"? Is it the same as Giuliani's?

Cochise
12-21-2007, 09:27 AM
What will happen IMO is that after super tuesday, all the states will be split by some fraction between Romney and Huckabee. Whoever wins Iowa will probably win, especially if they win New Hampshire too. We could see one person have all the states leading up to then. Paul will not be mathematically eliminated at that point and so he'll press on.

But when you consider the money it's taken for him to just get into the high single digits, it's hard to believe that there's enough money out there to put him in the lead, especially if as we suspect he doesn't have a state after the 5th. Probably won't be as easy to convince people to donate once hope more or less dries up.

He's an admirable guy, and his people have run an inspired campaign... they don't have anything to be ashamed of except being homers I guess.

Taco John
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Seriously, though, what is the "late state strategy"? Is it the same as Giuliani's?

The late state strategy is the post February 5th strategy. Ron Paul is running a national campaign. Seriously: he intends to win. He's been a long shot every time he's run.

The polls don't show it, but the fundraising does, and the campaign feels very good about where they sit in the early states. One contact that I've been talking to shared that the campaign believes that they've hit their precinct goals in Iowa and will have at least 25k show up to caucus for Ron Paul... This is prior to them spending money on the infomercial there that will be blasted through this weekend, and the outreach that they have started this and next week.

New Hampshire is looking good too. They are winning the lawn sign primary by a wide margin, and have a very fervent grass roots base there. There are thoughts that Ron Paul could win New Hampshire, regardless of what the phone polling says. Phone polling has no way of measuring newcomers to the process, and especially no way of measuring young voters. The polls don't scare us. We don't even consider them, because we know they're flawed. Is it going to be easy? No. But we're going to be competitive.

We're going to be competitive pretty much everywhere. There are enough people plugged in right now to ensure that we're going to make a showing - primaries are notorious for their low turnout. The Ron Paul movement is notorious for their high turnout.

It isn't even a thought that Ron Paul would be finished by February 6th. Nobody is even considering this... We know that there is no Republican front runner and that even if we don't win, we'll be able to show a plurality and even win a few delegates along the way. If this thing goes brokered, we feel like we've got a very strong chance, because they'll have to consolidate against us.

All we have to do is hold on long enough to get our message out. Once we do that, we convert enough people who go through a fundamental transformation from apathetic non-voter to wouldn't miss the vote for the world.

That's right. We believe that we're going to win.

Adept Havelock
12-21-2007, 11:13 AM

I believe a "Late State" strategy is akin to letting the other team score two or three touchdowns, because you are somehow convinced you can come back to win in the fourth quarter.

The only time I've seen that strategy work was against the Oakland Raiders of the early to mid 1990's.

That's right. We believe that we're going to win.

As did Lord Cardigan at the Battle of Baklava.

Taco John
12-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Just to be clear: Ron Paul's strategy is three phases: Early states, Feb 5th States, and post Feb 5 states.

The post Feb 5th states is what I was referring to when I said that he has a late state strategy. This is to contrast the idea that he intends to drop out on February 6th. Currently, there's no evidence that he intends to do that.

chasedude
12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Just think how much good could be done with the money ronPaul is wasting on this election....

On ALL of them! Not just Mr. Paul but Ms. Clinton, Mr. Obama... etc.

banyon
12-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Compared with the federal budget, what we spend on elections is peanuts.

It took more to make Titanic and Waterworld than Bush spent on the last campaign.

ClevelandBronco
12-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Think of how much good it's doing now. It's employing people and making profits.

What would you do with it?

Taco John
12-21-2007, 11:29 AM
One thing I want to note... Ron Paul was polling at 1-2% in Iowa when he registered 9% of the vote at the Ames Iowa Straw poll. ABC/Wash Post currently has Paul at 8%.

banyon
12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Think of how much good it's doing now. It's employing people and making profits.

We could use the money to pay off approximately 1/22870th of the national debt.

If we save the money every four years, we can have it paid in full in the year AD 93487 (factoring out interest and assuming we keep a balanced budget somehow).

patteeu
12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
One thing I want to note... Ron Paul was polling at 1-2% in Iowa when he registered 9% of the vote at the Ames Iowa Straw poll. ABC/Wash Post currently has Paul at 8%.

A quick calculation tells me that Ron Paul should get somewhere between 72% and 144% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses. That's certainly impressive.

Iowanian
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Since Ronpaul has no chance to win.....

I'd take his funding and use it to.....buy a coat for as many kids who need them as I could, improve 10 delapidated schools....Buy a few Tomahawk missiles.

jAZ
12-21-2007, 01:51 PM
The polls don't show it, but the fundraising does
What are the stats WRT to the number of contributions of Ron vs the other GOP candidates (not total dollars, but total donors)?

Taco John
12-21-2007, 03:47 PM
A quick calculation tells me that Ron Paul should get somewhere between 72% and 144% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses. That's certainly impressive.

I'm pretty sure that's enough to win a delegate or two...

Taco John
12-21-2007, 03:48 PM
What are the stats WRT to the number of contributions of Ron vs the other GOP candidates (not total dollars, but total donors)?

That's a number I wish I knew, but nobody else is reporting that in real time.

I'd wager that it's a pretty significant gulf between the numbers.

ClevelandBronco
12-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Since Ronpaul has no chance to win.....

I'd take his funding and use it to.....buy a coat for as many kids who need them as I could, improve 10 delapidated schools....Buy a few Tomahawk missiles.

Let's just launch the Tomahawks into a dilapidated school full of coatless kids and we'll pocket the difference. I won't say anything if you won't.

ClevelandBronco
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Maybe that's "schoolful." Like spoonful.

A schoolful of children.

Whatever.

SBK
12-21-2007, 09:07 PM

You're wrong about that, he's going to win the dem nomination too. The general election will be Ron Paul v Ron Paul.

patteeu
12-22-2007, 07:30 AM
You're wrong about that, he's going to win the dem nomination too. The general election will be Ron Paul v Ron Paul.

LMAO