PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Wilson's War

eazyb81
12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this movie looks horrible? I have no idea what it's even about and at this point I don't care. They play those stupid commercials all the time...

"You ain't James Bond"

"You ain't Thomas Jefferson so let's call it even"

Uh, is that supposed to be funny? Blech, just embarrassingly awful.

Third Eye
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Agreed. I like both Hanks and Hoffman, but the movie looks bad.

PunkinDrublic
12-22-2007, 03:10 PM
It might still be good. It's not supposed to be a comedy.

|Zach|
12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Looked decent to me.

eazyb81
12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
It might still be good. It's not supposed to be a comedy.

Really? To me it seems like they're trying to show it as a bio/comedy flick.

I don't know, I'm just so sick of hearing that stupid line that doesn't even make sense. That part is definitely supposed to be funny - to who, I have no idea.

JBucc
12-22-2007, 03:19 PM
It's because one of them's a congressman and the other's CIA. Get it? HAHA hilarious.

Demonpenz
12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
i smell oscar

headsnap
12-22-2007, 03:26 PM
not enough explosions and CGI for ya?

Adept Havelock
12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
The book was excellent. As for the film, I'll give it a shot here in a few days.

not enough explosions and CGI for ya?

"Charlie Wilson's War" probably won't communicate the nuances of the Afghan struggle against Soviet Occupation as well as Rambo 3 did.

irishjayhawk
12-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Hoffman and Hanks were really good. How Roberts got a Golden Globe nomination is beyond me seeing as her screen time barely nets 15 minutes.

I'm mixed about the film. I love how it was put together and the story.

What I hated was the message(s).

KcMizzou
12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
It looked ok... I bet if I watched it, I'd like it. (great cast) But nothing about it excites me.

DMAC
12-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Tom Hanks needs to stop this bullshite and do Bachelor Party 2.

blueballs
12-22-2007, 06:28 PM
John Kitna fingerbangs kittens

ChiefaRoo
12-22-2007, 06:39 PM
This movie will either be Forrest Gump good or Ladykillers bad.

tburg
12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
pure propaganda...

KcMizzou
12-22-2007, 06:42 PM
This movie will either be Forrest Gump good or Ladykillers bad.I thought Forrest Gump was wildly overrated.

That's just me, though.

ChiefaRoo
12-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I thought Forrest Gump was wildly overrated.

That's just me, though.
Really? I just watched it on DVD the other night and it's a really good flick IMO. When you see it chopped up and edited on TNT it loses something.

KcMizzou
12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Really? I just watched it on DVD the other night and it's a really good flick IMO. When you see it chopped up and edited on TNT it loses something.Oh, it's a good movie.. but man, the hype around that one...

I just didn't think it was that good.

It did have a great soundtrack though... I love a movie with great music.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this movie looks horrible? I have no idea what it's even about and at this point I don't care. They play those stupid commercials all the time...

"You ain't James Bond"

"You ain't Thomas Jefferson so let's call it even"

Uh, is that supposed to be funny? Blech, just embarrassingly awful.

Its actually writen by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing)

One of the best writers in the business.

I think the problem is the concept of the film is a little hard to sell in a 15-30 second commercial.

Demonpenz
12-22-2007, 07:07 PM
how phillip seymore hoffman gets work is a question mark for me. He was ok in Along came polly but for me he is a fatter jack black

Deberg_1990
12-22-2007, 07:10 PM
how phillip seymore hoffman gets work is a question mark for me. He was ok in Along came polly but for me he is a fatter jack black

Your kidding right??

Hes one of the best character actors around.

KcMizzou
12-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Your kidding right??
You should know better than to even ask that question.

irishjayhawk
12-22-2007, 07:30 PM

ROFL

Clearly you haven't seen his films. You know, like Capote or Before the Devil knows You're dead.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
ROFL

Clearly you haven't seen his films. You know, like Capote or Before the Devil knows You're dead.

I watched "Scent of a Woman" a few weeks back and noticed he had a small part in it. I didnt realize he had been around that long, but hes been making movies for awhile now.

irishjayhawk
12-22-2007, 07:39 PM
I watched "Scent of a Woman" a few weeks back and noticed he had a small part in it. I didnt realize he had been around that long, but hes been making movies for awhile now.

He's in Twister, believe it or not.

schneider221
12-22-2007, 07:42 PM

lets get it straight here... he was great in along came polly

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2007, 07:54 PM
It's getting good reviews. I don't know who made the propaganda comment but it was ignorant. I won't go see it (big screen = for CGI flicks), but it's definitely a PPV.

irishjayhawk
12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
It's getting good reviews. I don't know who made the propaganda comment but it was ignorant. I won't go see it (big screen = for CGI flicks), but it's definitely a PPV.

It's pretty close to propaganda. That is, the message the film is trying to convey is. Pure and simple.

Though it's much better articulated and more entertaining than Lions for Lambs, which was a true Prop. Film.

64 Chief
12-22-2007, 08:57 PM
This story is all true, I was there at the time. Charlie Wilson was a liberal Democrat congressman ( who was into drugs, drinking and orgies) who funded the 1980's Afghan war against the Soviets. While the Soviets were beaten in large part because of his efforts, an unintended consequence was the funding and rise of Osama Bin Laden.

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
A liberal? WHAT? HOLLYWOOD LOVES LIBERALS!?!??! OUTRAGE!!!

Third Eye
12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Why was the comment ignorant? That is what it looks like to me, and is exactly why I won't waste my time with it.

L.A. Chieffan
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
They ripped off Rambo III

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Why was the comment ignorant? That is what it looks like to me, and is exactly why I won't waste my time with it.

It's a true goddamn story. It's not some bullshit like Lions for Lambs.

Smed1065
12-22-2007, 09:00 PM
The history channel has a show this week about Charlie Wilson.

Must just be lucky timing..

LOL

Third Eye
12-22-2007, 09:01 PM
It's a true goddamn story. It's not some bullshit like Lions for Lambs.
I assume you mean it was BASED on a true story. Hell, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was BASED on a true story, but nothing remotely like that happened.

Thig Lyfe
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
lets get it straight here... he was great in along came polly

He was the ONLY good thing about that movie.

L.A. Chieffan
12-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Well Dude, we just don't know...

Bob Dole
12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Little known fact: Charlie Wilson's indescretions while in office also made possible the greatest QB in NFL history, Tony Romo.

64 Chief
12-22-2007, 09:18 PM
This is a true story, not propaganda. Propaganda for what-outrageous behavior by congressman. If anything our elected representatives are even more morally bankrupt than the wild behavior depicted in this movie.

Adept Havelock
12-22-2007, 09:34 PM

That's just me, though.

My only problem with Forrest Gump was how much the novel it's based on (and the film itself) ripped off "Being There".

J Diddy
12-22-2007, 10:44 PM

That's just me, though.

yep it's just you

and eminem rules

Third Eye
12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
My only problem with Forrest Gump was how much the novel it's based on (and the film itself) ripped off "Being There".
My only problem with Forrest is that it robbed Pulp Fiction of Best Movie.

J Diddy
12-22-2007, 10:48 PM
My only problem with Forrest is that it robbed Pulp Fiction of Best Movie.Michael Conner Humphreys (b. 1985 in Independence, Mississippi, U.S.) was an American child actor best known for playing the role of Forrest as a boy in the 1994 Oscar-winning Drama film, Forrest Gump. He also played a small role in the Hallmark movie "A Painted House." He is currently in the U.S. Army, stationed in Ft. Riley, Kansas, with 2-70th Combined Arms Battalion

Sully
12-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I saw this movie last night, and I really liked it... a lot. Hanks and Hoffman were great. Hanks has to be the greatest actor ever... I can't think of someone who plays so many different characters, and pulls them off brilliantly. Hoffman was good, and funny to boot. Roberts...eh, she wasn't in it all that much.

Sorkin writing it, to me, was the real draw. West Wing is my favorite show of all time, and I loved SportsNight, American President, and even Studio 60. His writing has a rythm and snappiness to it that is almost like music. He could write a commercial for paint, and I'd probably buy a ticket to see it.

I'm not sure how this could be viewed as propaganda. DOes it have a message? Yeah... but as far as I can tell, it's a pretty truthful, and without angle-type of message. Of course, I'm a liberal, so maybe I couldn't see past my leanings to see how the message skews toward propaganda... I'd like to hear the reasoning there.

Anyhow, I'd recommend it. I'd have rather seen National Treasure, but my wife hasn't seen the first one, yet. So we have to rent that one before going to see the second one. But I was very happy with seeing this one. It was worth the money.

Lancetastic
12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Did anyone see the special on the History Channel tonight with actual interviews with Charlie Wilson, etc.? It was two hours long and very interesting.

Third Eye
12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm not sure how this could be viewed as propaganda. DOes it have a message? Yeah... but as far as I can tell, it's a pretty truthful, and without angle-type of message. Of course, I'm a liberal, so maybe I couldn't see past my leanings to see how the message skews toward propaganda... I'd like to hear the reasoning there.

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=210890

CoMoChief
12-23-2007, 07:29 AM
I watched the real biography story behind it all on the History Channel. It's a great story, and after watching it I wanna see the movie.

Basically it's about how we helped Afghanistan in the Cold War in their win over the Soviets by giving them stinger missles to stop the air strikes from the Soviets and other military weapons/tactics.

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 07:40 AM
so who plays Osama?

Chiefless
12-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Hollywood cut any direct reference to Osama from the film. His name is not even mentioned. Is it true that it's up for a best comedy/musical Golden globe? Because, that film is FAR from a comedy.

InChiefsHell
12-23-2007, 09:13 AM
I watched the History channel show on it last night. It was interesting. I thought it was pretty interesting that a liberal Democrat was so anti-communist as to fund a war to overthrow the Soviets...my how things have changed.

They touched on the fact that while we did help to overthrow the Soviets in Afghanistan, the vacuum of power left paved the way for the Taliban and Al-Quaida. I don't have a problem with the truth of that...hell, if anything it drives home the point that we can't just give up on Iraq, we have to finish the job this time...

But, I don't know what slant the movie takes. I'll probably wait till it's out on DVD. I really like Hanks, so I'll see it.

the Talking Can
12-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Does the film hint at the repercussions of arming the soon-to-be Al Qaida, or just pretend that everything was peachy?

Demonpenz
12-23-2007, 09:43 AM
lying in bed just like charlie wilson did.

Sully
12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I watched the History channel show on it last night. It was interesting. I thought it was pretty interesting that a liberal Democrat was so anti-communist as to fund a war to overthrow the Soviets...my how things have changed.

They touched on the fact that while we did help to overthrow the Soviets in Afghanistan, the vacuum of power left paved the way for the Taliban and Al-Quaida. I don't have a problem with the truth of that...hell, if anything it drives home the point that we can't just give up on Iraq, we have to finish the job this time...

But, I don't know what slant the movie takes. I'll probably wait till it's out on DVD. I really like Hanks, so I'll see it.
The only real slant it took was at the end, and the discussions of how, after spending billions on weapons, why couldn't we have spent a few million to help them set up an infrastructure of education and commerce. I think it's a fair point.

Sully
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Does the film hint at the repercussions of arming the soon-to-be Al Qaida, or just pretend that everything was peachy?
It goes beyond "hinting" at it. Hoffman uses a fable to bring the point home, but the last few minutes of the movie, as well as Wilson's quote after the screen goes dark pretty much explain it.

Sully
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=210890
Just read your link...

... I think the author takes two very miniscule parts of the story as a whole, and the entire tone of the movie, and makes mountains out of molehills. The movie in no way tries to hide from the fact that, though it may have been a good thing to do what we did, it caused dire circumstances down the road.

Now, Wilson's quote at the end of the movie, that "They ****ed it up." Does seem to attempt to absolve him personally of much of the blame for later events, but I think the theme of the movie is more about what happens after the war, rather than being a simplistic valentine to Wilson (although I can see how it can be viewed as such, that's just not what I came away with).

irishjayhawk
12-23-2007, 01:18 PM
The only real slant it took was at the end, and the discussions of how, after spending billions on weapons, why couldn't we have spent a few million to help them set up an infrastructure of education and commerce. I think it's a fair point.

Right....and connect that to the reasons we can't or shouldn't leave Iraq....

I'm not saying it IS propoganda but it's damn close.

Again, I liked how the film was put together and it was entertaining. Clearly, the best character was Hoffman. But I didn't like the message(s). And, yes, it was well written.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2007, 01:19 PM
It goes beyond "hinting" at it. Hoffman uses a fable to bring the point home, but the last few minutes of the movie, as well as Wilson's quote after the screen goes dark pretty much explain it.

If we're going by the average movie goer or average american, there is no question that the quote will be just that: a quote. People don't read into movies really.

So, in all honesty, Can, it doesn't.

Halfcan
12-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Yep the movie looks lame.

Demonpenz
12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
there was a movie where the whole premisis is tomas semor hoffman sniffing gasoline way to go coach!

DenverChief
06-10-2008, 01:03 AM
excellent movie...just got done watching it