PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft The official feedback thread after watching OL draft prospects in Bowls.

Frankie
12-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Give us your analysis of how the well known or obscure college O-linemen did in bowl games. Were you impressed or disappointed? I am no real expert, but I will start:

I watched Ryan Clady last night and to my layman's eyes he looked impressive. To the best of my recollection, he did not give up a sack. Always took his man the long way around. Very athletic. No beer guts. Showed excellent footwork and power. For the plays the Boise State was calling he was able to show his pass blocking more than his run blocking. They were running to the right more often than to the left. I would love to see this guy in red and gold next year. If we end up with a top 5 pick, it would be perfect for us to trade down just enough to get him. But looks like we won't be trading down too far to get him at value. He is probably a top ten pick.I doubt that Jake Long will impress me any more than Clady did.

Frankie
12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Anybody else see the game and wanna chime in about Clady before other O-linemen are put on display in Bowl Games?

HonestChieffan
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I missed all the bowls. How did the Illini look?

El Jefe
12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I missed all the bowls. How did the Illini look?

They havent played, the Rose Bowl is Jan 1st.

Micjones
12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
If we traded down to, say, 10 and got Clady...
We'd pick up at least a #2, no?

SBK
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
If we traded down to, say, 10 and got Clady...
We'd pick up at least a #2, no?

I posted this in another thread too. A few years ago Cleveland traded up to 6 from 7 with Detroit. For that honor they also gave up their #2. So dropping to 10 would be more than that for sure.

Still not a fan of doing that though.

HonestChieffan
12-26-2007, 03:26 PM
How did Mizzou do?

Mecca
12-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I watched Clady get bitch slapped by a no name DE on Hawaii....

We should be looking at all top level prospects not just Olinemen.

BigRedChief
12-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I posted this in another thread too. A few years ago Cleveland traded up to 6 from 7 with Detroit. For that honor they also gave up their #2. So dropping to 10 would be more than that for sure.

Still not a fan of doing that though.
There is a mathmatical formula the NFL uses to place a value on a draft pick. I'd sure like to know what it is. Rep to the poster who finds it.

Mecca
12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
That chart is posted in the other thread about trading down...hold on a sec I'll go find it...

Mecca
12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Behold...

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pvc.gif

Coogs
12-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Anybody else see the game and wanna chime in about Clady before other O-linemen are put on display in Bowl Games?

I saw the game, and the game that Mecca was talking about against Hawaii as well. Early in the Hawaii game he looked really good. Late in the Hawaii game, not quite as impressive.

Against East Carolina, I thought he looked very good. The part that impressed me the most against the Pirates was how he would engage against one player, and if there was some sort of stut or blitz comming to his outside, how easy it was for him to pass his first player off to the guard, and slide out and pick up the other rusher, and pretty much stone that player from even getting close to the QB.

Small sample space for me in only seeing parts of two games, but I would not be upset if Clady wound up a Chief. Looks like tons of potential there.

HolmeZz
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
No thanks on Clady. Not where we'll be picking.

BigRedChief
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Behold...

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pvc.gif
Thank you sir :clap:

Coogs
12-26-2007, 04:06 PM

I was watching ESPN last Sunday night somewhere around 10:00PM. One of the talking heads at ESPN had his top 5 draft picks, and the Chiefs were picking 5th. Clady was his pick for the Chiefs.

Doesn't mean a darn thing. Just thought it was interesting some dude had Clady going to us at the 5th pick. He must not think that spot is too high.

HolmeZz
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I was watching ESPN last Sunday night somewhere around 10:00PM. One of the talking heads at ESPN had his top 5 draft picks, and the Chiefs were picking 5th. Clady was his pick for the Chiefs.

Doesn't mean a darn thing. Just thought it was interesting some dude had Clady going to us at the 5th pick. He must not think that spot is too high.

Yes. There are plenty of scouts overrating Clady.

Mecca
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
People keep giving the Chiefs the best OT on the board regardless, it has nothing to do with player value and more to do with need...

They know the Chiefs well...

Pablo
12-26-2007, 04:10 PM
The only game I saw Clady play in, he did exceedingly well. Given that was against a no-name DE out of East Carolina.

I'm sure Jake Long faced much better athletes in the Big 10 conference week in, week out. The only game I really watched him in seriously was the OSU/Michigan game, and Gholston raped him a few times, but he is one of the top DE's in the game, and a first-rounder as well.

HolmeZz
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
The only game I saw Clady play in, he did exceedingly well. Given that was against a no-name DE out of East Carolina.

I'm sure Jake Long faced much better athletes in the Big 10 conference week in, week out. The only game I really watched him in seriously was the OSU/Michigan game, and Gholston raped him a few times, but he is one of the top DE's in the game, and a first-rounder as well.

Long does face better competition, though he really hasn't seen much legitimate next level talent outside of Gholston.

The major difference would be that Clady doesn't do one thing great. Long does.

Coogs
12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
People keep giving the Chiefs the best OT on the board regardless, it has nothing to do with player value and more to do with need...

They know the Chiefs well...

I would totally agree.

Coogs
12-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Here is an interesting little blurb from cnnsi concerning Buffalo in their weekly powere rankings poll. Sort of fits the Chiefs future as well...

Buffalo Bills (7-8)
The score was 14-7, Buffalo, when LT Jason Peters went down with a groin pull. The floodgates opened. Trent Edwards came apart. The offense came apart. The Bills' defense kept coming onto the field with short rest and got overwhelmed. Yeah, one guy makes that much difference, if he's in a skill position, which describes left tackle.

Frankie
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Against East Carolina, I thought he looked very good. The part that impressed me the most against the Pirates was how he would engage against one player, and if there was some sort of stut or blitz comming to his outside, how easy it was for him to pass his first player off to the guard, and slide out and pick up the other rusher, and pretty much stone that player from even getting close to the QB.
Exactly what impressed me the most.

Frankie
12-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Senioe Bowl, combines,.... he might justify being a top ten pick. But I would really love it if we traded down a few positions, got more picks and got him in the 10-12 range. Right now he seems to be a in that area.

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 05:45 PM
if we end up #3, we get a mid 2nd just for trading down 1 spot...this is the value of a high pick..

hypothetically, someone below gets a stiffy for Ryan (or even better, McFadden is there)...we can extract a ransom for a couple of spots...unlikely, sure, but look at the Dallas had last year much lower with Quinn...

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought Clady looked very fluid and athletic, and technically sound....but the competition wasn't much, and I seriously doubt he is worth a top 10 pick...

Mecca
12-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Start thinking about who would move for who.....If you want a team to move for Ryan, hope we pick ahead of Atlanta.

McFadden the first team that pops to my mind is the Raiders but that's just a guess.

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Start thinking about who would move for who.....If you want a team to move for Ryan, hope we pick ahead of Atlanta.

McFadden the first team that pops to my mind is the Raiders but that's just a guess.

haven't even thought of who, I'd just like to be in a position where we could capitalize...i'm day dreaming about the Gods being on our side for once...

Frankie
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Up, for Jake Long and other OL feedbacks.

suds79
01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Jake Long is on now. Michigan just scored on their 1st drive and he's pretty impressive.

- Massive guy, seems to control the pass rusher pretty easily.
- Announcers said he hasn't had a penalty and has only given up 1 sack all year.
- Michigan definitely runs a lot to left behind Long. Hart had a few big gainers in the 1st drive running to the left.

Frankie
01-08-2008, 12:01 AM
OK, Ohio State lost to LSU. Any feedback on OSU LT Alex Boone? How did you think he looked?

Frankie
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Let me repeat. HOW DID BOONE LOOK?!

El Jefe
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Boone looked really good, I was very impressed, I thought he would have trouble in this game. We did give up some sacks, but Boeckman just held onto the ball too long. I thought Boone did a great job, even though the game went back, Boone and Rehring did a great job on Dorsey, we ran right at him on our TD, and we did not stray away from his side, we ran right down his throat.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Laurenitis looked like crap against LSU

he couldn't hold Rich Scanlon's jock

Chiefnj2
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Let me repeat. HOW DID BOONE LOOK?!

Boone looked good.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Players declared for 2008 NFL Draft
Name School Position Year
Branden Albert Virginia OG Junior
Martell Bennett Texas A&M TE Junior
Davone Bess Hawaii WR Junior
Calais Campbell Miami DE Junior
Jamaal Charles Texas RB Junior
Ryan Clady Boise State OL Junior
Anthony Collins Kansas OT Junior
Jermicha Finley Texas TE Sophomore
Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech CB Junior
James Hardy Indiana WR Junior
Derrick Harvey Florida DE Junior
Erin Henderson Maryland LB Junior
Jack Ikegwuonu Wisconsin CB Junior
Kevin Smith UCF RB Junior
Taj Smith Syracuse WR Junior
Aqib Talib Kansas CB Junior

Frankie
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Laurenitis looked like crap against LSU.
That's what I thought too. He did lead in tackles but that doesn't mean he played well.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I watched Clady get bitch slapped by a no name DE on Hawaii....

We should be looking at all top level prospects not just Olinemen.

Yep, Clady's a way overrated player

GoHuge
01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Yep, Clady's a way overrated playerSo we'll probably trade up to get him :)

KChiefs1
12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Give us your analysis of how the well known or obscure college O-linemen did in bowl games. Were you impressed or disappointed? I am no real expert, but I will start:

I watched Ryan Clady last night and to my layman's eyes he looked impressive. To the best of my recollection, he did not give up a sack. Always took his man the long way around. Very athletic. No beer guts. Showed excellent footwork and power. For the plays the Boise State was calling he was able to show his pass blocking more than his run blocking. They were running to the right more often than to the left. I would love to see this guy in red and gold next year. If we end up with a top 5 pick, it would be perfect for us to trade down just enough to get him. But looks like we won't be trading down too far to get him at value. He is probably a top ten pick.I doubt that Jake Long will impress me any more than Clady did.

The more things change the more they stay the same....

Frankie I'd like to see more of your evaluation's because you nailed this one.
:thumb:

the Talking Can
12-26-2008, 08:23 PM
if we end up #3, we get a mid 2nd just for trading down 1 spot...this is the value of a high pick..

hypothetically, someone below gets a stiffy for Ryan (or even better, McFadden is there)...we can extract a ransom for a couple of spots...unlikely, sure, but look at the Dallas had last year much lower with Quinn...

:banghead:

sounds like a true fan

Frankie
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
The more things change the more they stay the same....

Frankie I'd like to see more of your evaluation's because you nailed this one.
:thumb:

Thank you sir. I humbly accept your encouraging comment. May it give me enough insight and courage to make more such evaluations this year. ;)

beach tribe
12-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Thank you sir. I humbly accept your encouraging comment. May it give me enough insight and courage to make more such evaluations this year. ;)

I like these old threads. Shows what the self proclaimed experts really know, and are the reason you will hardly ever see mecca making a post endorsing or bashing a guy because he doesn't like being held accountable for his opinions.

ohiobronco2
12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I like these old threads. Shows what the self proclaimed experts really know, and are the reason you will hardly ever see mecca making a post endorsing or bashing a guy because he doesn't like being held accountable for his opinions.

I read one of Mecca's expert posts about Flacco. I can't exactly recall the specifics, but he stated he wouldn't be a very good pro QB. Now I will say that statistically he isn't great, but he is the QB of a 10-5 team, his rookie season. Thats pretty good to me.

Frankie
12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Mecca, Tribal Warfare and a few other ones I have no problem with and read their evaluations with some interest. In fact I read all CPer evaluations with interest. It's just that these folks have the attitude that they cannot be wrong and the rest of us are stupid. They are still slamming me a year later in debates about Stafford and how I "hated" Matt Ryan. The fact that I didn't "hate" Ryan be damned. I was arguing a year ago that Ryan's final year in the college did not justify him, IMO, as a top 5 pick. And the fact that we badly needed to hit on an LT last year before we even thought about putting a high price QB behind that joke of a line. I thought with that in mind, Long or Clady where much more important to us then.

milkman
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Mecca, Tribal Warfare and a few other ones I have no problem with and read their evaluations with some interest. In fact I read all CPer evaluations with interest. It's just that these folks have the attitude that they cannot be wrong and the rest of us are stupid. They are still slamming me a year later in debates about Stafford and how I "hated" Matt Ryan. The fact that I didn't "hate" Ryan be damned. I was arguing a year ago that Ryan's final year in the college did not justify him, IMO, as a top 5 pick. And the fact that we badly needed to hit on an LT last year before we even thought about putting a high price QB behind that joke of a line. I thought with that in mind, Long or Clady where much more important to us then.

And you're still wrong.

If you have the chance to draft a potential QBoTF, you draft him, even if you have to sit him for a couple of years while you assemble other pieces.

You can't pass on one with the idea of drafting another in a future draft, cause there's no gaurantee one will be available when you have all the other pieces in place.

Frankie
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
And you're still wrong.

If you have the chance to draft a potential QBoTF, you draft him, even if you have to sit him for a couple of years while you assemble other pieces.

You can't pass on one with the idea of drafting another in a future draft, cause there's no gaurantee one will be available when you have all the other pieces in place.

That's right. Milkman was the other one. I couldn't remember who the 3rd one was.

About what you just posted, there was an unresolved issue of one Brodie Croyle who seemed to be talented but finally proved the detractors right about his fragility. I still say my preference to build up the line first while giving Croyle one year was more logical.

Mecca
12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I read one of Mecca's expert posts about Flacco. I can't exactly recall the specifics, but he stated he wouldn't be a very good pro QB. Now I will say that statistically he isn't great, but he is the QB of a 10-5 team, his rookie season. Thats pretty good to me.

And I will tell you that you play odds with QB's, a guy from division 2 that moved from 3rd round to 1st round on workouts and arm strength is going to raise some flags for me. Baltimore took 2 QB's who were the same thing going into the draft, big armed workout risers, Flacco appears to be working out, the other Boller did not. You play the odds.

milkman
12-27-2008, 05:48 PM
That's right. Milkman was the other one. I couldn't remember who the 3rd one was.

About what you just posted, there was an unresolved issue of one Brodie Croyle who seemed to be talented but finally proved the detractors right about his fragility. I still say my preference to build up the line first while giving Croyle one year was more logical.

So you ignore the most important position on the field because you hope you have a QB, who hasn't even begun to show he has a future, and because you don't have a superior roster for a young QB to play with.

You don't get chances at top tier QB prospects every year.

Hell, think of one time in the last 20 years that the Chiefs had a shot at a top tier QB prospect.

And you're going to pass because you want to build the rest of the team first?

That's how you end up with the Steve Bono's and Elvis GrBac's of the world.

Frankie
12-28-2008, 01:22 AM
And I will tell you that you play odds with QB's, a guy from division 2 that moved from 3rd round to 1st round on workouts and arm strength is going to raise some flags for me. Baltimore took 2 QB's who were the same thing going into the draft, big armed workout risers, Flacco appears to be working out, the other Boller did not. You play the odds.

Very true. The same goes for first round QBs. Hence my argument that just because Ryan panned out it does not prove Stafford will too.

beach tribe
12-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Very true. The same goes for first round QBs. Hence my argument that just because Ryan panned out it does not prove Stafford will too.

You still take the chance. Period.

ohiobronco2
12-28-2008, 11:34 AM

You play the odds with every prospect. There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect. Even draft experts consistently look like morons. Mel Kiper said that both Leinart and Young would have better careers than Cutler and he's considered one of the best. Point is, if professionals can be wrong, so can biased "experts" on message boards.