PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Young Turks at the top of the list for rebuilding franchises

Deberg_1990
12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Now this is timely. Its Kuharich time baby!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/23/week16/1.html

1. Scott Pioli, 42, New England. Smart. Ready, if he ever chooses to leave his good friend Belichick's side, which he'll likely have to do if he ever wants to have his football acumen recognized.

2. Chris Polian, 35, Indianapolis. Working under his prominent dad, Bill, Polian has risen to vice president of football operations and tried to learn lessons from top baseball execs. Tough and precocious.

3. Jeff Ireland, 38, Dallas. Thorough and ultra-prepared, with a reasoned opinion about every player he scouts. Unemotional and methodical.

Close: Philadelphia GM Tom Heckert, 40 (who might be available because Andy Reid has final authority with the Eagles); Baltimore director of pro personnel George Kokinis, 40; Green Bay personnel analyst John Schneider, 36.

Teams looking for more veteran guys could look at former Saints GM Bill Kuharich, 54, now the Chiefs' VP for player personnel, or Chris Mara, 50, the Giants' VP for player evaluation.

Those aren't the only ones, but they're a start, and they're not the usual suspects.

Guru
12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
UGH. I will live with it but it isn't much different than Carl leading. maybe he will surprise us.

blueballs
12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Mara
doesn't a Mara own the Giants

dirk digler
12-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't see Pioli leaving but i think the Chiefs should go after Chris Polian. I think that would be awesome if they could get him

Zouk
12-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I just wish Carl was out of the chair last offseason when the LJ decision came up.

the Talking Can
12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
sign them

Mr. Laz
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
1. Scott Pioli, 42, New England. Smart. Ready, if he ever chooses to leave his good friend Belichick's side, which he'll likely have to do if he ever wants to have his football acumen recognized.

2. Chris Polian, 35, Indianapolis. Working under his prominent dad, Bill, Polian has risen to vice president of football operations and tried to learn lessons from top baseball execs. Tough and precocious.

===============

pioli would be my 1st choice but Polian might be a good one too.

Deberg_1990
12-24-2007, 10:33 AM
pioli would be my 1st choice but Polian might be a good one too.

Its all up to Clark. How bold and daring does he want to be? How passionate to be a winner is he??

I no longer fault Carl. I blame the Hunts.

the Talking Can
12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
3. Jeff Ireland, 38, Dallas. Thorough and ultra-prepared, with a reasoned opinion about every player he scouts. Unemotional and methodical.

know nothing about him, but this is the description of a GM I want...plus he's part of an aggressive, $$$ spending, winning franchise...no way he'd rest on his laurels for 15 years like Carl...

dirk digler
12-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Its all up to Clark. How bold and daring does he want to be? How passionate to be a winner is he??

I am starting to lean this way as well. If no change is made after the season then the Hunts need to be held accountable. No more excuses.

Mr. Laz
12-24-2007, 10:39 AM

nice post ...... i concur

after all this, if Carl is still GM next year then we all know the real scoop.

DaneMcCloud
12-24-2007, 11:01 AM
1pioli would be my 1st choice but Polian might be a good one too.

Pioli would never leave Boston for Kansas City. NO way.

The only place Pioli would go is to Miami, to work for his father-in-law, Bill Parcells.

pikesome
12-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Pioli would never leave Boston for Kansas City. NO way.

The only place Pioli would go is to Miami, to work for his father-in-law, Bill Parcells.

Depends, if he wants to make a name for himself KC would be a better choice. Get out from under others' shadows. Although Pioli hasn't gone anywhere yet so you have to wonder if he wants any more credit/recognition. Maybe he's happy being part of a winner without his name being top of the marquee.

mcan
12-24-2007, 11:21 AM
When it comes to front office personel, the Chiefs can get ANYBODY they want. If they really want to, they can steal anybody they want from another team. Anybody with a brain would take this job, as it's the most secure front office job in the world of professional football. It's also one of the few GM positions in the league that have a "hands off" ownership policy. It's a dream job, and I don't blame Carl for not voluntarily stepping down.

eazyb81
12-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I would take anyone to get rid of Carl.

That said, I would bet my life savings that Clark will keep the status quo heading into next year.

I've said it before, but it's hilarious how the Royals are better managed than the Chiefs are now.

pikesome
12-24-2007, 11:30 AM
When it comes to front office personel, the Chiefs can get ANYBODY they want. If they really want to, they can steal anybody they want from another team. Anybody with a brain would take this job, as it's the most secure front office job in the world of professional football. It's also one of the few GM positions in the league that have a "hands off" ownership policy. It's a dream job, and I don't blame Carl for not voluntarily stepping down.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that the GM job in KC is a top flight spot. Provided the Hunts pay well, there's very little bad about the job. The only drawback is living/working in KC and I can't see that as a major negative for someone at that level in the NFL. The biggest problem would be the rabid, somewhat impatient fans and I'm guessing that if the mental retarded spawn of Hitler and Stalin replaced CP here he'd get a few years grace before the fans got fed up.

OnTheWarpath58
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Baltimore director of pro personnel George Kokinis, 40;

Finally. someone pimping him other than me.

I think this guy would be a great fit, and is realistic, unlike Pioli, which is exactly why it won't happen.

headsnap
12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
sign them

Dammit Carl!!! :cuss:

Guru
12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I am starting to lean this way as well. If no change is made after the season then the Hunts need to be held accountable. No more excuses.
I am Guru and I approve of this post. :)

DaneMcCloud
12-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Depends, if he wants to make a name for himself KC would be a better choice. Get out from under others' shadows. Although Pioli hasn't gone anywhere yet so you have to wonder if he wants any more credit/recognition. Maybe he's happy being part of a winner without his name being top of the marquee.

There's a lot of "Ifs" in your conjecture.

Personally, I can't see Pioli leaving Boston for any other team than the Dolphins at this point. He's an East Coast guy and Parcells is his father-in-law.

If he truly wanted to leave, Miami would be the destination.