PDA

View Full Version : Colt Brennan in the 2nd round anyone?

Pablo
12-24-2007, 12:44 PM
If the QB position is such a big issue to some folks, why not draft Long, Ellis, or Dorsey in the 1st in they're available and look to snag Colt Brennan in the early 2nd round? Last time I checked he was slated to go Mid-2nd, somewhere around 50.

I've personally watched Brohm, Ryan, and Woodson, and they haven't impressed me any more than Colt Brennan has. He'd come a hell of lot cheaper than the other three would, and he has all of the same physical and mental tools as the others.

I understand the knock for his system QB play, but that doesn't change the fact that he is accurate, or that he is a proven winner and may bring a good mentality with him. If we're going to gamble on a QB with a first day pick, this isn't the year to pick a QB up in the 1st round.

A far from impressive class, but Brennan has been largely overlooked and under-valued, he could provide a young, cheap alternate, and competition.

banyon
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Not the worst idea.

chiefbowe82
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
lets just develop croyle first

JBucc
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't really care that he played in a passing system. If he's smart he can learn as well as some QB who played in a regular offense, it just might take a little longer. I think the only reason he was at Hawaii is because he robbed someone at Colorado or something. He's no Timmy Chang. He's got a strong arm and decent athletic ability, made some amazing passes in the games I saw. His release is a bit low but fast and I haven't seen Vince Young have that many problems with batted balls.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
This is what I'll say. I like Colt Brennan more than most..he isn't the prospect a guy like Ryan is. But Brennan when you watch him does seem to have "it" he makes plays and does what it takes...

Also we can not rely on Croyle to where we say "OMG we can't take a QB" he's to injury prone to ever be relied upon.

suds79
12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Not a bad idea.

But I can only support that IF the Chiefs feel like he's the best guy.

Let's not forget that the #1 most important position on any team is the QB. So if you feel like you have a franchise QB early, you take him no matter what.

Plus this draft if deep in OT.

splatbass
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
A better idea than drafting one in the first for sure. I want to give Croyle a chance, but I think Colt would be a good pick in the second if they want a QB. I've watched him play a lot, being a UH fan, and I think he is more than a system QB.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 12:53 PM
No.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Holmezz despises Brennan for some reason.

Deberg_1990
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Sure why not. Hes the next David Klinger or Andre Ware.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I am on the Colt bandwagon. This guy h as over a 70 percent completion ratio while being down in the 4th quarter. I know its not against top tier talent, but thats still damned impressive.

Pablo
12-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't love Brennan...but I don't dislike him.

Ryan is the top prospect in this draft, and he's got great physical tools, but I've watched him just throw the ball up and expect God or one of his WR's to make a play quite a few times.

Ryan has the best potential or the three, Woodson could be a good QB, but I don't see any reason to totally overlook Brennan. I've only been able to catch like 4 games he's been at the helm, and I've been fairly impressed with those games.

Sure-Oz
best players in the 1st few rounds imo

suds79
Sure why not. Hes the next David Klinger or Andre Ware.

I'm sure he will be if Carl drafts him ;)

It all really doesn't matter so long as Carl is the GM.

KCrockaholic
12-24-2007, 12:59 PM
i wouldnt mind taking him in the 2nd round, but 3rd would be better if he falls that far. although i dont like Brennan as a person, did anyone here know about his incident? Brennan had a difficult time getting his football career going. Without getting into all the details, Brennan pled guilty to "burglary and trespassing" for an incident that occurred on 28 January 2004. He had a few too many drinks and entered a female students room uninvited. Brennan served seven days in jail and was put on four years of probation.

When asked about the incident Brennan said, "I don't think I touched the girl, the only thing I know is that night I acted inappropriately and didn't leave when I should have."

he wasnt even "of age" when he was drinking that night, sure we all do it... but KC really doesnt need a person with that kind of rep.

Demonpenz
12-24-2007, 12:59 PM
if the best player available is a qb ok go with it

crazycoffey
12-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Let's be safe and take him with our first pick. Gotta go get our guy.....

Pablo
12-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't really care about his past incident with the tresspassing. I think any player that comes in with a thug mentality might as well not even enter the draft because Goodell is out to crack their nuts.

It's a new NFL..guys aren't going to get away with stupid bullsh*t and I'm sure Brennan or any reasonably smart student-athlete can see that.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Brodie is just to injury prone. We arent going to be contenders for another 2 years anyways. Its better to have 2 qb's then 1 and a 34 year old Damon Hutard. thats for damned sure.

Pablo
12-24-2007, 01:03 PM
This is assuming he's one of the best players available. If Vernon Gholston dropped out of the mid-late 1st round and fell to us, I'd take him in half a second over Brennan.

JBucc
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I was pretty impressed with him in the short interview he had with Kenny Mayne. Not much to go on I know but he showed a good understanding of how to read a defense.

kcfanXIII
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
i wouldn't mind going qb in the second. but i'm really hoping we go OT in the first. from what i understand, there are 3-4 superb tackles in this draft. i like long out of michigan, if he's available i don't think we could pass him up.

splatbass
12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
i wouldnt mind taking him in the 2nd round, but 3rd would be better if he falls that far. although i dont like Brennan as a person, did anyone here know about his incident? Brennan had a difficult time getting his football career going. Without getting into all the details, Brennan pled guilty to "burglary and trespassing" for an incident that occurred on 28 January 2004. He had a few too many drinks and entered a female students room uninvited. Brennan served seven days in jail and was put on four years of probation.

When asked about the incident Brennan said, "I don't think I touched the girl, the only thing I know is that night I acted inappropriately and didn't leave when I should have."

he wasnt even "of age" when he was drinking that night, sure we all do it... but KC really doesnt need a person with that kind of rep.

Brennan is a changed man since then. He is very well respected here in Hawaii. He has been a model citizen, does good work in the community, and is very humble. He made a youthful mistake ,but he learned from it. I'm sick and tired of hearing this BS from people that know nothing about him.

He is in no way a thug nor does he have any behavior problems at all.

Rudy lost the toss
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
how about Ainge? anyone?

OnTheWarpath58
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
So if we take Brennan in R2, does he get 12 starts before we throw him under the bus?

Just want to check the chart:

Kansas City Chiefs Fan Impatience Chart

Chapter 1: Quarterbacks

R3 QB - 8 starts

R2 QB - 12 starts

R1 QB - 16 starts.

JBucc
12-24-2007, 01:12 PM
how about Ainge? anyone?
Funny.

HolmeZz
Holmezz despises Brennan for some reason.

There's not much to like. He's doesn't offer much in terms of physical gifts and he has absolutely zero experience running anything close to an NFL offense. He's a mediocre prospect at best who's gotten hype because he gets to put up numbers in Hawaii's system and anyone who wants to go on and on about his accuracy should probably get a better understanding of Hawaii's offense. It's a lot of short passes and option routes that are designed to make things as easy as possible on the quarterback. As far as reading a defense goes, all it requires is you recognizing the coverage at the line of scrimmage and then the receivers running the route accordingly.

Pablo
So if we take Brennan in R2, does he get 12 starts before we throw him under the bus?

Just want to check the chart:

Kansas City Chiefs Fan Impatience Chart

Chapter 1: Quarterbacks

R3 QB - 8 starts

R2 QB - 12 starts

R1 QB - 16 starts.That sounds about right.

Pestilence
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
We have so many holes on this team that I'm not against taking BPA throughout the whole draft. Well minus taking a RB in the first two rounds.

Deberg_1990
There's not much to like. He's doesn't offer much in terms of physical gifts and he has absolutely zero experience running anything close to an NFL offense. He's a mediocre prospect at best who's gotten hype because he gets to put up numbers in Hawaii's system and anyone who wants to go on and on about his accuracy should probably get a better understanding of Hawaii's offense. It's a lot of short passes and option routes that are designed to make things as easy as possible on the quarterback. As far as reading a defense goes, all it requires is you recognizing the coverage at the line of scrimmage and then the receivers running the route accordingly.

Doesnt he always operate out of the shotgun as well? I dont think ive ever seen him take a snap under center?

I dont think any NFL team runs a Run and Shoot offense anymore.

Guru
As long as we don't get a QB with the first pick.

KCrockaholic
12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Brennan is a changed man since then. He is very well respected here in Hawaii. He has been a model citizen, does good work in the community, and is very humble. He made a youthful mistake ,but he learned from it. I'm sick and tired of hearing this BS from people that know nothing about him.

He is in no way a thug nor does he have any behavior problems at all.

i wasnt saying he is a thug or anything... i dont think he is, ive heard he cares alot about his team. he even grew dreadlocks and learned all about the samoan culture just to try to groove better with his receivers and teammates. but we'll have to wait and see how he acts when he gets to the NFL im sure he will be fine, its just a matter on if the Chiefs would want to take that chance.

JBucc
12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
As long as we don't get a QB with the first pick.We're going to draft a QB with every pick. Increase our chances of finding our QBoTF ten fold!

Sully
12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Not a bad scenario.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Doesnt he always operate out of the shotgun as well? I dont think ive ever seen him take a snap under center?

Once in a blue moon and it's usually just to run the option. I can't recall ever seeing him play action pass.

Not since the old Oilers I don't think. :p

And there's a reason it's not run in the NFL or by your major college programs.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM

That doesn't keep people around here from thinking Chase Daniel is gonna be awesome in the NFL...

It's not a pro style offense in the fact that he always lines up like that and all that. But the routes thing, that is NFL caliber. NFL teams do option routes all the time, the QB and the WR read the coverage and that determines his route...at least that's how it's usually done unless you are a 1962 offense.

SNR
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
He seems to have QB instincts that are required to play the position. Roethlisberger is the last college QB I've seen that has that kind of confidence and poise.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 01:21 PM
The Pats sure like to show you they can do a run n shoot variation.

Deberg_1990
12-24-2007, 01:22 PM
And there's a reason it's not run in the NFL or by your major college programs.

The Oilers, Falcons and Lions ran it pretty successully back in the early 90's.

Im surprised no one has tried to revitalize it again lately?

Although a few teams run variations of it. The Pats go 4 and 5 wideouts frequently, but you have to have a hell of a pass blocking O-line to do that. Brady gets hit alot, but hes one tough SOB.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
But the routes thing, that is NFL caliber. NFL teams do option routes all the time

Wrong. You might have one receiver run an option route on a particular play now and again. Hawaii does it every play and for each receiver. It is not anything like any NFL offense.

splatbass
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
i wasnt saying he is a thug or anything... i dont think he is, ive heard he cares alot about his team. he even grew dreadlocks and learned all about the samoan culture just to try to groove better with his receivers and teammates. but we'll have to wait and see how he acts when he gets to the NFL im sure he will be fine, its just a matter on if the Chiefs would want to take that chance.

He has learned the meaning of aloha here in Hawaii. He fits in with the friendly and respectful culture here, something that not all newcomers can do. I'm so confident that there is no chance that he will be a problem that I will give you $100 if he ever has trouble like that in the NFL.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
The Pats sure like to show you they can do a run n shoot variation.

Not the same offense, for one. The Patriots also didn't start passing all the time until this season. And it's effective because they have a legendary quarterback, a terrific offensive line, and more importantly Randy Moss, who makes everything they do on offense possible. He requires extra attention in terms of the number of defenders he needs and he can stretch and manipulate the field wherever you want on any given play.

Sully
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
The Patriots also didn't start passing all the time until this season.

You are kidding, right?

JBucc
12-24-2007, 01:29 PM
He has learned the meaning of aloha here in Hawaii. He fits in with the friendly and respectful culture here, something that not all newcomers can do. I'm so confident that there is no chance that he will be a problem that I will give you $100 if he ever has trouble like that in the NFL.
Very true. He has learned from his mistake. I saw him at a party a few weeks ago, this time he was getting the GIRL drunk. Smart kid.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 01:30 PM
You are kidding, right?

Are you talking about under Weis? That was a dink and dunk offense. They were essentially making up for their lack of a running game.

They're a big play passing attack now.

Sully
12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Are you talking about under Weis? That was a dink and dunk offense. They were essentially making up for their lack of a running game.

They're a big play passing attack now.
Yeah...which is what the run 'n' shoot is, basically, as well as the spread.
The Pats have been a throwing team (whether it's throwing long, or short) through this dynasty.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Colts and Patriots run a hyrbid of the Run and Shoot. Guess where they stand in the NFL? Shocking.

Direckshun
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey I have an idea, let's pass on Woodson to draft a QB in the second round that rarely played top competition and is completely wrong for our offense.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Not the same offense, for one. The Patriots also didn't start passing all the time until this season. And it's effective because they have a legendary quarterback, a terrific offensive line, and more importantly Randy Moss, who makes everything they do on offense possible. He requires extra attention in terms of the number of defenders he needs and he can stretch and manipulate the field wherever you want on any given play.
As you say they didnt start running their system until they had a legendary qb? but at the same time runnining that system in college doesnt take a legendary quarterback? this makes no ****ing sense.

splatbass
12-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey I have an idea, let's pass on Woodson to draft a QB in the second round that rarely played top competition and is completely wrong for our offense.

What QB is right for this offense? Maybe one that knows how to run for his life....

Pablo
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
What QB is right for this offense? Maybe one that knows how to run for his life....Exactly. I'm sure Woodson would be SOOO much better at handing the ball off to LJ and throwing 10 yarders to TG.

HolmeZz
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
As you say they didnt start running their system until they had a legendary qb?

It's not a 'system'.

but at the same time runnining that system in college doesnt take a legendary quarterback? this makes no ****ing sense.

A couple things. Just because they use 4 receiver sets doesn't mean they're running the same offense.

Secondly, there's a difference between an offense being effective against Northern Colorado and that offense being effective against high level NFL defenses.

Spott
12-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I think Brennan will be a good QB, but I would rather a team that could use him draft him. Herm would have no idea what to do with a real quarterback and would likely just screw up Brennan's career if he were to play here.

KC Tattoo
12-24-2007, 01:47 PM
I absolutely love Brodie for our QB of the future. He is the guy I was hoping we get before we drafted him in the third round of 06. I liked him better than Cutler even before hand.

It is unfortunate that he got/gets hurt. For that reason I think it would be wise to look at this years draft for a QB who would have more upside than Brodie. I absolutely would rather they get the best OL man in the draft so that our QB may have a chance for success in proccess of learning the game and growing with the team.

I look at all of the successfull teams in the playoff hunt and they all have good O-lines and give the QB time in the pocket or time to role out and make a play for the team. All of the good teams win games on the front lines and that is how it is in football. Win/Lose in the trenches is the history of the game.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 01:48 PM
It's not a 'system'.

A couple things. Just because they use 4 receiver sets doesn't mean they're running the same offense.

Secondly, there's a difference between an offense being effective against Northern Colorado and that offense being effective against high level NFL defenses.
It more or less is a system. Throw deep to Moss or underneath to Welker. Brady is an awesome quarterback dont get me wrong. They are still just doing a spread formation though. Brady has the brains and arm to see the missmatches. I dont see why Colt cannot do the same. He has the Arm and can move. He doesnt come off as a retard either.

I think he's going to be a damned fine quarterback for some team. I want it to be the Chiefs. Throw it up to Dbowe.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 01:49 PM
btw, if they happen to draft Brennan, i will go out and by a authentic jersey of his asap. lol

Mecca
12-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Exactly. I'm sure Woodson would be SOOO much better at handing the ball off to LJ and throwing 10 yarders to TG.

We should all just give up, we have a coach that hates offense so we can't compete...

Pablo
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
To put this in perspective.

I'm a proponent of giving Brodie an entire season under center next year to prove he's the man or not, whether he'll get injured or not, and if he progresses as well as we would expect.

I'm not a fan of drafting a QB in the first round, so he can struggle to develop behind this horrific patchwork line. Brodie is cheap, Brennan would be cheap, and if Brodie isn't the man, we'll likely be having a terrible season again next year, and will be in a position to draft a QB early in the first.

I don't know what the senior QB class of next year looks like, but I'm sure it can't be any less impressive than this years.

Pablo
12-24-2007, 01:58 PM
We should all just give up, we have a coach that hates offense so we can't compete...We have a coach that hates opening up the passing side of the playbook, unless he's desperate.

eazyb81
12-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Sigh.....why do people still want us to cut corners on acquiring our QBOTF? The odds of drafting a stud QB are MUCH higher if we grab one early in the 1st rather than trying to strike gold later in the draft.

Either suck it up and grab your franchise QB in the 1st or don't waste a pick on another backup.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 02:02 PM
We have a coach that hates opening up the passing side of the playbook, unless he's desperate.

So like I said in the past, until we get a QB who is good enough and has enough sack to not allow his coach to **** up his offense like Manning did with Dungy a few times we're screwed?

Pablo
12-24-2007, 02:09 PM
So like I said in the past, until we get a QB who is good enough and has enough sack to not allow his coach to **** up his offense like Manning did with Dungy a few times we're screwed?That was Peyton Manning. Carson Palmer could also command that kind of respect coming out of college. None of these guys can. There's a reason none of them are considered No. 1 picks and an OL and a DT are ahead of them in all the mock drafts. They don't have the same credentials or expectations Manning or Palmer did coming out of school.

None of the three are going to come in next year, and command Herm to change his offense, and win the respect of that locker room.

chiefbowe82
12-24-2007, 02:11 PM
In the end were going were going to have a solid product, just be glad Herm is taking blows cleaning up gunthers and vermeils mess. Just close your eyes and don't open them till 2009

chiefscafan
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I met Brennan's dad while I was working two years ago. He told me when Colt got expelled from the school it was during all that other crap that was going around at Colorado. He said the whole incident was a misunderstanding but the president lumped him into all the other mess and he really didn't get a fair chance. His dad said that the colorado coach got him into a JC. Then helped get june jones the coach from hawaii to give him a chance. I like colt and no matter what happened he deserves another chance . I like croyle but if colt is there in the third round I take a chance.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
That was Peyton Manning. Carson Palmer could also command that kind of respect coming out of college. None of these guys can. There's a reason none of them are considered No. 1 picks and an OL and a DT are ahead of them in all the mock drafts. They don't have the same credentials or expectations Manning or Palmer did coming out of school.

None of the three are going to come in next year, and command Herm to change his offense, and win the respect of that locker room.

I remember the major questions Palmer had going into that draft...some people thought Leftwich was better....there was talk of the Bengals taking Terrence Newman......Palmer wasn't really a "lock" going into that right up until days before.

eazyb81
12-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I met Brennan's dad while I was working two years ago. He told me when Colt got expelled from the school it was during all that other crap that was going around at Colorado. He said the whole incident was a misunderstanding but the president lumped him into all the other mess and he really didn't get a fair chance. His dad said that the colorado coach got him into a JC. Then helped get june jones the coach from hawaii to give him a chance. I like colt and no matter what happened he deserves another chance . I like croyle but if colt is there in the third round I take a chance.

Really surprising that his dad would say such great things about him.....

eazyb81
12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I remember the major questions Palmer had going into that draft...some people thought Leftwich was better....there was talk of the Bengals taking Terrence Newman......Palmer wasn't really a "lock" going into that right up until days before.

Exactly. Everyone wants to act like Manning and Palmer were no-brainer franchise studs at #1, but that wasn't the case at all. They were highly rated QBs like the guys this year, but they all had question marks.

At some point you have to reach down your pants, make sure you still have a pair, and dare to make a great pick.

pr_capone
12-24-2007, 03:22 PM
I will cum all over myself if we draft Brennan.

BCD
12-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I will cum all over myself if we draft Brennan.TMI

pr_capone
12-24-2007, 03:29 PM
TMI

I thought so too but I thought it would be best to paint as graphic of a mental image as possible to convey how much I would love Brennan to fall to KC in the second round.

Self Bukkake usually paints a pretty graphic picture so I ran with it. D:

BigCatDaddy
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually according to Kipers latest top 25 Woodson has fallen out and the list includes only Sr's at this point. Sounds like he could slip to the 2nd round. He might be a good value pick for us there. But I'm not really crazy about any QB in this draft.

Mecca
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Wait till they all workout, things will change drastically.

chiefscafan
12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Brennan is awesome he's gonna be good like I said I love croyle and still think he should be qbotf. HOwever if Brennan is there in the second or third we would be wise to take a chance on him.

Fruit Ninja
12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Yep, especially if he has a good bowl game.

ChiefGator
12-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I'ld pass on Colt. He's a "system qb" and we don't use any system here.

If we hire an OC that actually has a "system" I'd love to see him picked up in the 2nd, assuming he's near the top of the remaining players and we have addressed our O-Line.

alanm
12-25-2007, 05:46 AM
I'll take a guy with heart, his wonderlic and ability to read a defense over a workout warrior any day. The meat show in Indy is soooooooo over rated. :rolleyes: Give me a guy that can play football.