PDA

View Full Version : Improving car audio on a budget

Archie F. Swin
12-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and I want to improve the sound system. I'm trying to limit myself to spending no more than $450 on a head unit and speakers. All I want is a Tuner/CD/CDR player and speakers that will deliver sound as high quality as the factory system of a modern day passenger car.

Looking for advice.

Dunit35
12-25-2007, 08:22 PM
get a pioneer cd player off ebay along with some 6x9s and you'll be good to go. Prob would have enough cash to put some smaller speaks up front.

BigMeatballDave
12-25-2007, 08:32 PM
You could get a nice head unit, with 4 speakers for that price. Mp3 disc capability, too.

BigMeatballDave
12-25-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222498&type=product&id=1166840027254

QuikSsurfer
12-25-2007, 09:08 PM
for the dash speakers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=136TR400CX&tp=105

for the roll bar:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=136TR525CX&tp=105

I recommend JL Audio or JBL.. I don't see any Clarion speakers available by your speaker sizes (4x6 , 5-1/4')

Baconeater
12-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Did he really use "high quality" and "factory system" in the same sentence?

Saulbadguy
12-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Sorry to say, a head unit and speakers won't improve your audio that much at all. You really need an amplifier to go along with that. If I were you i'd piece it out, and buy the head unit now, and then wait to buy a speaker/amp combo.

Also, don't go to Best Buy to buy any car audio products. They are all shit. Support your local store, they will have the better product, the most knowledgeable employees and the best installers.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Sorry to say, a head unit and speakers won't improve your audio that much at all. You really need an amplifier to go along with that. If I were you i'd piece it out, and buy the head unit now, and then wait to buy a speaker/amp combo.

Also, don't go to Best Buy to buy any car audio products. They are all shit. Support your local store, they will have the better product, the most knowledgeable employees and the best installers. I have replaced several factory systems with after market recievers using Alpine, Sony, and Aiwa. I never used an amp. I bought a headunit from Walmart, Sony, over a year ago. Still works great. It puts out 208 total watts. Unless he plans to use a large enclusure with 10-12 inch woofers, there is no need for an amp. The electronics you buy at Best Buy and Wamart are no different than the ones sold at local shops, but at a lower price.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2007, 06:37 AM
the most knowledgeable employees and the best installers.This is true, though, if you do not plan to do it yourself. NEVER buy installation hardware at Best Buy. I have always installed everything myself.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I have a '94 Grand Prix, winter beater, I put said Sony in it, with 6x9 Kenwood speakers in the rear deck. Sounds much better than the factory system in my '07 Ram.

Saulbadguy
12-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I have replaced several factory systems with after market recievers using Alpine, Sony, and Aiwa. I never used an amp. I bought a headunit from Walmart, Sony, over a year ago. Still works great. It puts out 208 total watts. Unless he plans to use a large enclusure with 10-12 inch woofers, there is no need for an amp. The electronics you buy at Best Buy and Wamart are no different than the ones sold at local shops, but at a lower price.

Wrong on all accounts.

First off, 208 watts? Most of those head units are rated at MAXIMUM output. They wouldn't put out that much unless the head unit was struck by a bolt of lightning (Dr Emmit Brown voice). They may put out slightly more RMS than the average factory head unit, but the difference you are hearing is a better crossover and EQ in the head unit itself. Not so much power.

Second, AIWA is complete shit. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Third, local shops DO carry higher quality units. You won't find JVC Arsenal products or Eclipse (awesome) in a Best Buy. I've got a Sony head unit at the moment and only my local audio shop carried the Sony ES line of product.

QuikSsurfer
12-26-2007, 08:15 AM
you don't need an amp or subs for the sound you're wanting to get.
replacement speakers and a decent head unit will do you fine.

Archie F. Swin
12-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I really appreciate all the help, links and stuff. Keep 'em comin!

Archie F. Swin
12-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Did he really use "high quality" and "factory system" in the same sentence?

We bought a Hyundai Sonata just over a year ago and I think the stereo is excellent.

Saulbadguy
12-26-2007, 08:27 AM
replacement speakers and a decent head unit will do you fine.
Yeah - but the difference is night and day if you threw an amp in there. Thats why I said to buy the head unit now, and get an amp later.

QuikSsurfer
12-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah - but the difference is night and day if you threw an amp in there. Thats why I said to buy the head unit now, and get an amp later.
No argument here.

Fish
12-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Cheap you say....

http://pizdaus.com/pics/yylv4E5QXNp5.jpg

BigChiefFan
12-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Where's the best place in the Northland for products and installation?

Also what's the best in-dash GPS/DVD/CD combo?

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
replacement speakers and a decent head unit will do you fine.Exactly. This was precisely my point.