PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR - Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Kendrell Bell

Count Alex's Losses
12-26-2007, 12:31 AM
The end is near for Chiefs’ Bell

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/418421.html

The end is near for Chiefs’ Bell
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Kendrell Bell’s time with the Chiefs will end quietly Sunday. He will be a reserve again and perhaps not even play at all unless it’s on special teams.

That’s in contrast to his free-agent arrival in Kansas City, which came with much fanfare. He was an accomplished linebacker who would help transform a lousy defense.

But after three disappointing seasons, two as a starter and one as a seldom-used reserve, Bell stands as one of the worst free-agent signings in Chiefs history. Sometime after Sunday’s game against the Jets, they will acknowledge their mistake with Bell by parting ways with him.

“I wish it had worked out better,” Bell said, already acknowledging his time with the Chiefs in the past tense. “I had my opportunities. There’s going to be a different future here, and I totally understand that.”

Bell had made an appearance in the Pro Bowl while playing for Pittsburgh but never approached that kind of impact after joining the Chiefs. They acknowledged Bell wasn’t working out last winter when they signed Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris to be starting linebackers.

The Chiefs would have released Bell last winter except that his considerable salary of about $3 million was guaranteed.

So they kept him around, but this time as a backup. The Chiefs talked during the offseason about using Bell as a pass-rushing defensive end in passing situations, but they later determined they were better off with Jared Allen and Tamba Hali, so that never materialized.

As it developed, the Chiefs thought so little of Bell that he didn’t even suit up for four of their games.

Bell was damaged goods when the Chiefs signed him. He had a shoulder injury that he was rehabilitating. The injury scared away other teams, but not the Chiefs.

He missed all of training camp and most of the preseason his first year with the Chiefs because of the injury.

“My first year here was the worst experience of my life when it comes to my football career because of that injury,” he said. “So my issue was my health. That was my problem. If I had come here without any problems, I would have done the things here that I was able to do with Pittsburgh.

“I tried to do too much too early because I was trying to prove people wrong, and it ended up hurting me.”

Beyond that, Bell never was a good fit in the Chiefs’ system. In Pittsburgh, Bell played in the 3-4 defense, and the Steelers let him rush the quarterback in most passing situations.

He had nine sacks as a rookie in 2001 and nine more in his final three seasons with the Steelers.

He had 2 1/2 sacks in three seasons for the Chiefs. In the Chiefs’ 4-3 system, Bell wasn’t given only pass-rush responsibilities. He was also asked to cover and had trouble with it.

“He was in a 3-4 system, and he was a really good player in that system for Pittsburgh,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “He really wasn’t asked to play the conventional linebacker position like we play it in the 4-3. He was more of a pass-rush guy. He rushed off the edge. He was a blitzer. He dropped into coverage every once in awhile but most times he was a rusher.

“He comes over here and all of a sudden we’re asking him to do a lot of different things. That’s sometimes tough on certain guys because they’ve grown up in a certain system.

“He’s a good talent, a good athlete, a good guy. But he just didn’t fit.”

Bell disputed that notion, saying he could be a productive player in any system. He will walk away as one of the Chiefs’ biggest free-agent busts but comfortable he did everything possible to make it work.

“I’m trying to be a team player through all of this,” he said. “I’ve tried to help in ways that a lot of people don’t notice. I’ve tried to help some of the young guys. And I’ve definitely tried not to be a distraction.”

Chiefs_5627
12-26-2007, 12:35 AM
At what cost salary-cap wise? :hmmm:

KcMizzou
12-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I was pretty happy when we got this guy...

Who else? Honestly...

blueballs
12-26-2007, 12:40 AM
It was the 32 defense
any warm body was better
than that miss match of losers

Count Alex's Losses
12-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Who else? Honestly...

I drank the Gunther koolaid.

Learned my lesson.

Chiefs_5627
12-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Who else? Honestly...

Me. :bong:

CoMoChief
12-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Well at least he's being a stand up guy about it.

At least he knows he sucks, unlike Eric Hicks who thought he could turn it around.

Short Leash Hootie
12-26-2007, 01:08 AM
****** if you ask me

Bump
12-26-2007, 01:18 AM
possible the biggest FA bust of all-time for us. Considering how much money he got and how worthless he is for us. Who else would be up there? Carlton Gray? Elvis Grbac?? he gave us one good season at least and went to hell after that. Johnnie Morton? The WR that played opposite of Herman Moore for the Lions?? Chester?

Micjones
12-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I vote for Brett Perriman as the worst Chiefs FA signing.

But Kendrell's up there.
Glad he's on his way out.
Goodnight now.

CoMoChief
12-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Kendrel Bell, Dexter McCleon, Chester

I mean these have also been within the last few years of the organization which leads me to believe this.....

THIS TEAM AIN'T ****IN GOIN ANYWHERE BUT DOWN!!!!!!!!! LETS TAKE THE ****IN SHORTBUS TO HELL KIDS!!!!! IM DIRVIN!!!!

Mecca
12-26-2007, 01:51 AM
It's also another example of jamming a square peg in a round hole....Bell was signed to do things he basically wasn't good at and never did, our organization has a bad habit with that.

DaneMcCloud
12-26-2007, 02:26 AM

Who else? Honestly...

I guess you don't follow the Steelers or watch any other team than the Chiefs because this guy is constantly injured and would not be a good pickup, whatsoever.

Dane
~Not interested in Bell

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108054&highlight=bell

jidar
12-26-2007, 02:38 AM
I liked the signing at the time, he sucked though. Overrated.
I guess he did well in Pittsburgh because they only used him to pass rush.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-26-2007, 03:54 AM
He'll go back to Pittsburg and kick some more ass. He just stopped off here for a quick payday. It's not his fault our FO is filled with dumbasses. /ryan sims

BigRedChief
12-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Another case of King Carl arrogance in thinking he's smarter than the rest of the NFL.

chagrin
12-26-2007, 06:13 AM
I vote for Brett Perriman as the worst Chiefs FA signing.

I was just thinking about how bad Perriman was, lol! Too bad Kendrell couldn't overcome that injury, or whatever his problem was; I was elated when I first learned of his signing.

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 06:54 AM
“He comes over here and all of a sudden we’re asking him to do a lot of different things. That’s sometimes tough on certain guys because they’ve grown up in a certain system.

“He’s a good talent, a good athlete, a good guy. But he just didn’t fit.”

then why did Gun want him???

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Bell lied his way to an extra 5mill in his career....but for that much money who can blame him, he was only looking out for himself...he knew his career was over.

Demonpenz
12-26-2007, 08:35 AM
It seems like after he was shot in the ass he was never the same

Deberg_1990
12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
possible the biggest FA bust of all-time for us.

Carlton Gray and Perriman were pretty bad too. But Bell would have to be right up there.

Braincase
12-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Who else? Honestly...

I'll fess up. I thought he was going to be a great signing. Why did we ever let Donnie go in the first place?

Deberg_1990
12-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Why did we ever let Donnie go in the first place?

Two Words: Greg Robinson

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 09:13 AM
don't blame Kendrall Bell ......

we signed an injured player who didn't fit our system.

just like casey wiegmann, under vermeil/saunders he looks like a pro bowler ... under Herm/solari he looks like crap.

a player fitting your system is a HUGE deal

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Two Words: Greg Robinson
and the fact that Donnie was asking for the moon from the Chiefs and then settled for much less money to play for san diego.

shaneo69
12-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Who else? Honestly...

I did. I remember talking to Kendrell on my radio show and then writing a column telling King Carl that if he would just increase his offer to $10 mil in guaranteed money, my buddy Kendrell would sign the contract./Big Sexy

ChiefGator
12-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I was optimistic about the hiring, but really didn't get too excited. I don't think many of our recent FA signings have gotten me too excited. I was happier learning about Surtain and Law. But, as someone said, any warm body was better than what we had.

I wish we had cut him this offseason, and managed to get the cap hit this year, when we have all kinds of space left under the cap. It pisses me off to no end that we aren't even going to use this space.

Sign JA to a front-loaded contract extension. Change someone's contract to move more money forward to this year, lessening the hit later on.

:: sigh ::

Crush
12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Damn it Gunther!!! :cuss:

FringeNC
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
He was on Gun's shopping list, so Carl got him for Gun.

kregger
12-26-2007, 10:24 AM
It bugged me that we brought him in and declared him fit when the Giants had failed him physically the week before.
Once he got on the field, you could tell his shoulder wasn't right because he always tried to tackle with one arm.

kregger
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
He was on Gun's shopping list, so Carl got him for Gun.
Which is the reason Gun should never be involved in player acquisition or draft evaluation. Bartee, anybody???

BigChiefFan
12-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Nothing like blaming Bell for our shit season. He didn't work out here, but we've got alot more problems than our expensive back-up being released.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Well he was one of the few LB's we were looking at and the others ended up sucking just as well or being injured, who knew? I hate kendrall bell

the Talking Can
12-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Nothing like blaming Bell for our shit season. He didn't work out here, but we've got alot more problems than our expensive back-up being released.

who is blaming him for the season?

BigChiefFan
12-26-2007, 11:40 AM
who is blaming him for the season?
It's not specifically blaming him for the season, but there's no doubt he's being thrown under the bus, because our inept FO once again tries to put a square peg in a round hole. Here's the quote, that throws him under the bus...

He was an accomplished linebacker who would help transform a lousy defense.

But after three disappointing seasons, two as a starter and one as a seldom-used reserve, Bell stands as one of the worst free-agent signings in Chiefs history.

Deberg_1990
12-26-2007, 11:43 AM
and the fact that Donnie was asking for the moon from the Chiefs and then settled for much less money to play for san diego.

No, they had their choice between signing Donnie or Warfield. They gave the $$$ to Warfield.

Carl has admitted his mistake.

blueballs
12-26-2007, 11:49 AM
They got a steal on a injured Roaf
but Bell was never a Roaf to begin with

Dave Lane
12-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Another case of King Carl arrogance in thinking he's smarter than the rest of the NFL.

No this one is squarely on Gunther. And I wasn't excited by it but gave deference to Gun on the signing. There was some other LB I wanted I think it was Trotter not Bell.

Dave

Cochise
12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Why is Bell the bad guy here?

The Chiefs spent a bunch of money on a free agent who had been unable to recover from a shoulder injury and who played in another system at a different position. Surprisingly enough, it didn't work.

The problem isn't Bell, it's the 1,000,001st time we've tried to sign a bargain free agent and hope they'd turn into a pro bowler. What happened here that we haven't seen a hundred times before?

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 12:09 PM
No, they had their choice between signing Donnie or Warfield. They gave the $$$ to Warfield.

Carl has admitted his mistake.
yes, they did give the money to warfield but Donnie still settled for less to play for san diego.

he was asking for a big signing bonus(8mill??) and 5 mill a year IIRC

he ended up signing with the chargers for 3 mill a year with only a 4 million dollar signing bonus or something.

if donnie hadn't asked for so much to begin with it might of changed things.