PDA

View Full Version : NE AT GIANTS TO BE SEEN ON TV

Zman
12-26-2007, 02:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/26/bc.fbn.patriots.giants.tv.ap/index.html

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
That is great news. The NFL got it right

SPchief
12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Fox is probably pissed at this.

jjchieffan
Sweet!

Zman
It took long enough but they did a good job

Crush
12-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Yep.

StcChief
12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
excellent now upgrade the commentators

Ultra Peanut
12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Why not go for four networks?

I love simulcasts. (OH MY GOD, SHANE MCMAHON HAS BOUGHT THE GIANTS!)

Guru
12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Gee, maybe the NFL Network is getting a clue now.

The cable companies are screwy in this mess too but the NFL strong arming the cable companies at the average viewers expense is flat out wrong.

I hope this isn't the live look in crap though. I know it says simulcast but still

dirk digler
12-26-2007, 03:14 PM
excellent now upgrade the commentators

LMAO

No shit the upside is the rest of America will actually see and hear how bad Gumbel is and maybe the NFL will can his ass in the off season.

Adept Havelock
12-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Heh. I guess the NFL blinked after all. LMAO

Coach
12-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Fine by me. They were never any good anyways.

Bob Dole
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
It was going to be seen on TV the entire time.

Halfcan
12-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I would LOVE to see the Pats lose-wow they are full of themselves.

DaFace
12-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I would LOVE to see the Pats lose-wow they are full of themselves.

From my perspective, the media's more full of the Patriots than the Patriots are full of themselves.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd just like the media to stfu about the pats but they are a damn good team and besides rolling up the points they dont act cocky etc. They are a just a damn good football team.

Bob Dole
12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I'd just like the media to stfu about the pats but they are a damn good team and besides rolling up the points they dont act cocky etc. They are a just a damn good football team.

They are just like Ladanian Tomlinson and Tony Romo: Constantly flying under the media radar.

BigVE
12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I will still watch it on the NFL network since its the only channel of the 3 that is available in HD here. Maybe I can feed the sound from one channel and watch the picture on NFLN.

dtebbe
12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Woo hoo, now all the retarts with cable get to see it! No thanks to thier cable company.....

DT

Fruit Ninja
12-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Fine by me. They were never any good anyways.
At least all their games are in HD. Cant say the same for CBS.

Guru
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Woo hoo, now all the retarts with cable get to see it! No thanks to thier cable company.....

DT
Don't forget all the people that still use wabbit ears.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm glad they got it right.

This is NFL history that's about to happen and EVERY fan of the NFL should get to witness it, not just people that have the NFL Network.

DaFace
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
How funny would it be if the Giants slaughter them after all this?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Why not go for four networks?

I love simulcasts. (OH MY GOD, SHANE MCMAHON HAS BOUGHT THE GIANTS!)
ROFL ROFL

The name on the contract says "McMahon"...."Shane McMahon".

chiefqueen
12-26-2007, 05:42 PM

It could be John Walsh not wanting to give up his time.

cardken
12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
NFL Says Patriots-Giants Game Will Air on Networks (Update2)

By Aaron Kuriloff

Dec. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The game between the unbeaten New England Patriots and the New York Giants will air on network television after the National Football League arranged to share the feed from its in-house outlet with broadcast partners NBC and CBS.

Both networks will carry the NFL Network's feed, the first three-network simulcast in league history and the first time since the league's initial Super Bowl in 1967 that more than one network has televised a contest.

The move, announced in an NFL news release, ends the possibility that fans without the NFL Network wouldn't be able to watch the Patriots go for a 16-0 season record on Dec. 29 against the Giants (10-5) in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The league's network reaches only about a third of the more than 100 million U.S. TV households. Now everybody can stop crying! :p

BigVE
12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
OMG

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
not a smart move ..... exposing people to Bryant Gumble will kill anyone's desire to get NFL Network.

morphius
Next thing you are going to be tell me that the NE AT GIANTS TO BE SEEN ON TV

SPchief
No shit? I'm truly shocked.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I wasn't going to believe it until it was posted a 2nd time.

kstater
12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
John Goodman died yesterday.

SPchief
12-26-2007, 06:52 PM
John Goodman died yesterday.

Really? I'm saddened.

Thig Lyfe
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I wonder why they felt the need to simulcast it on CBS and NBC. I'm pretty sure there's a pretty big overlap of people who get both. Like, a 100% overlap.

Mr. Laz
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
you mean i wasted a perfectly good zinger on a repost!!

:banghead: :banghead:

JBucc
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I personally am very excited. I cannot wait to see the Patriots slaughter the 2nd and 3rd string.

BigVE
12-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Your losing your touch.

MichaelH
12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
not a smart move ..... exposing people to Bryant Gumble will kill anyone's desire to get NFL Network.

:clap: I can't stand him and Turkey neck.

morphius
12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
you mean i wasted a perfectly good zinger on a repost!!

:banghead: :banghead:
eh, you were not the first person to bring up how bad Bryant was either, so don't feel to proud :D

BigVE
12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
:clap: I can't stand him and Turkey neck.

How bad does Gumbel have to be to actually make turkey neck seem a bit less sucky? Wow.

thurman merman
12-26-2007, 07:28 PM

do you think anyone in the entire world actually thinks bryant gumble is a good announcer?

i mean, there are a lot of announcers who are disliked by a lot of people (joe buck, dick enberg, phil simms, etc.) but still, at least some people like them.

i cant imagine any reason that anybody would think bryant gumble is a reasonable choice for a person who should announce a football game.

SPchief
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
It's no fun once a mod merges the threads.

Dylan
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Guess this sports writer is a big fan of the NFL -- Hard news doesn't have the luxury to be left out. What a tremendous oversight. Anyway, for the record.

Giants-Pats available nationwide NFL Network to simulcast game on NBC and CBS, an excerpt from Sports Illustrated, published by Associated Press
"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said.

Specter Vows to Lift NFL TV Exemption
By Ted Hearn

Washington -- A law that allows the National Football League to sign lucrative television contracts on behalf of all 32 teams should be repealed, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) said at a Senate hearing Thursday.

Specter said he would introduce a bill in the new Congress that would repeal the NFL’s antitrust exemption under the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961.

He claimed that he wasn’t afraid to tackle the commercially and politically powerful NFL. “I think I’ll have a lot of company, and that is the football fans of America, who are being gouged,” he added after chairing a hearing on sports-programming issues.

NFL director of communications Brian McCarthy said the status quo was sufficient because the league’s “television practices have been recognized as consistent with the public interest” in that they provide “fans extraordinary amounts of programming” either free-of-charge or at little out-of-pocket expense.

“There is no basis now to repeal statutory provisions that have supported the development of these pro-consumer and pro-fan policies,” he added.

With Democrats taking control of the Senate in January, Specter will have to yield his committee chairmanship to Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.). Although Leahy has not taken a stand on the NFL issue, he helped to pass legislation that narrowed Major League Baseball’s antitrust exemption, Leahy spokesman David Carle said.

The Sherman Antitrust Act -- passed in 1890 and used as a trust-busting hammer by President Theodore Roosevelt in the early 1900s -- states that “every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal.”

Enforcement of the Sherman law against the NFL would probably mean that each team would have to cut its own deals, perhaps dealing a blow to the NFL’s vaunted spread-the-wealth ethos designed to promote competitive parity among its teams regardless of market size.

“I think they’d have to negotiate on an individual basis,” Specter said.

Testifying before Specter’s panel, Comcast executive vice president David Cohen -- whose company is in litigation with the NFL over carriage of NFL Network -- did not endorse repeal as advocated by Specter. Instead, Cohen said, the antitrust exemption should be conditioned.

Later to reporters, Cohen said that if a complete repeal caused each team to negotiate a separate TV deal, it could lead to problems arranging postseason coverage. “What do you do for the playoffs? Who has the Super Bowl rights?” Cohen explained.

A possible condition, he suggested, might involve banning the NFL from distributing programming on an exclusive basis, meaning that DirecTV would lose its exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, the out-of-market game package.

Lastly, Cohen said he wasn’t totally convinced that a federal court would necessarily find that the NFL’s policy on TV rights would violate the Sherman Act.

As a money machine, the NFL has few peers in the world of sports entertainment. The league has long-term deals with NBC, CBS and Fox worth nearly $12 billion, in addition to another $8.8 billion deal with cable sports network ESPN. Meanwhile, for the first time in league history, the NFL has begun to air games exclusively on NFL Network in every market except the home towns of the two teams on the field.

Comcast, Time Warner Cable and other cable operators want to carry NFL Network on sport tiers so that only sports fans shoulder the cost of the programming. The league, by contract, is seeking the widest possible distribution.

The NFL’s cable-carriage demands have upset Specter. "This is the NFL exerting its power … right down to the last nickel,” he said.

Seriously, does Roger Goodell think we're stupid? :rolleyes:

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1598364.jpg

jjjayb
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM

DT

If my satellite didn't quit working every time we got a sniff of rain I wouldn't have gone back to cable. Now stick it up your ass with the retart comments. :p

memyselfI
12-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Wow, this should help Congress' approval ratings... :rolleyes:

Now many of those in foreclosure can see the game if they still have electricity.

memyselfI
12-27-2007, 05:39 AM
I wonder why they felt the need to simulcast it on CBS and NBC. I'm pretty sure there's a pretty big overlap of people who get both. Like, a 100% overlap.

Because it's an AFC/NFC game. I'm sure both networks could argue they should have the game on their network. Rather than go to court they both get it???? :hmmm:

BigRedChief
12-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Wow, this should help Congress' approval ratings... :rolleyes:

Now many of those in foreclosure can see the game if they still have electricity.
JEEEZZZ get with the program. What's more important? The war in Iraq? Education? or getting the NFL Network on basic cable?

C-Mac
12-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Historic three-network simulcast planned for Patriots-Giants gameBy RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Saturday night’s game between the New England Patriots and New York Giants is too big for just one television network. Or even two.

The Patriots’ quest to finish the season with a historic 16-0 record will be carried on a unprecedented three-way national simulcast of NFL Network, CBS and NBC.

Since its inception in 2006, NFL Network has not been able to work out an arrangement with some of the nation’s biggest cable distributors, including Time Warner, which serves of most of Kansas City.

But with the Patriots on the verge of matching the 1972 Miami Dolphins’ feat of an undefeated season, the NFL arranged with rights holders CBS and NBC for the three-network simulcast of the NFL Network telecast from Giants Stadium. Kickoff is 7:15 p.m., Central time.

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the Chiefs faced the Packers in Super Bowl I in 1967 when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

“We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. “What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game.”

CBS and NBC will carry the NFL Network feed of the game with Bryant Gumbel calling the play by play and Cris Collinsworth serving as analyst.

“I give the NFL a lot of credit,” said Collinsworth. “It would have been easy to hold this out as a marketing chip in negotiating with the cable companies, but for the NFL to say, ‘We understand this is a unique situation, this is history being made potentially,’ and for them to step away from the bargaining table for a moment and say this was in the best interest of NFL fans, it’s pretty impressive.” At the time of Super Bowl I, CBS was the network partner of the NFL, and NBC televised the AFL. In that first Super Bowl on Jan. 15, 1967 _ . Ray Scott, Jack Whitaker and Frank Gifford called the Packers’ 35-10 win over the Chiefs for CBS while Curt Gowdy and Paul Christman broadcast the game on NBC. NFL Network is currently available on 240 cable systems, plus satellite television providers DirecTV and Dish Network, and the telephone company TV services of AT&T U-VERSE and Verizon FiOS. But a few of the largest cable companies, who don’t want to pass on the cost for having the network on basic tiers, have been unable to work out a deal with the NFL. “A few of the biggest cable operators have refused to negotiate,” said Steve Bornstein, NFL Network President and CEO. “We call on them to do what’s right for their consumers and negotiate agreements for NFL Network that make sense for everybody.”

Dylan
12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Who is responsible for the NFL schedule? I'm curious.

When was the last time an NFC team played an AFC team to close out the season?

Maybe the Patsies need a little more rest before the playoffs.

I'll have to check. :shake:

DaFace
12-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Because it's an AFC/NFC game. I'm sure both networks could argue they should have the game on their network. Rather than go to court they both get it???? :hmmm:

If that were the case, it would be split between CBS and FOX. NBC only normally has the rights to SNF. Plus, the rule is that in interconference games, the away team determines the network, so it would definitely be a CBS game.

DaFace
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
When was the last time an NFC team played an AFC team to close out the season?

It actually happens pretty frequently. As far as I know, there's no effort to make week 17 any different from other weeks in terms of matchups. Since 4/16 games for each team are interconference games, an average of 4 games each week should be between the NFC and AFC

At a glance, I see these interconference games in week 17, though I probably missed some.

2007:
NE @ NYG
SF @ CLE
MIN @ DEN

2006:
SF @ DEN
ARI @ SD

2005:
NYG @ OAK
ARI @ IND
DET @ PIT
HOU @ SF

Dylan
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks, DaFace

Checked the Giants Schedule 2001-2006:

2006 Saints @ Giants
2005 Giants @ Redskins
2004 Giants @ Bengals AFC
2003 Giants @ Cowboys
2002 Giants @ Cowboys
2001 Giants @ Eagles

I was just on the Giants official Website and noticed:

http://assets.giants.com/uploads/HOMEPAGE_STORY/582F2823A60940B590EC928A306535B3.gif

Kawika came a long way. The Giants almost benched him at the beginning of the season. God love him. lol

Dylan
12-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Heh!

New York Post
HEY, WE'RE PATRIOTS, NOT PAT$IES

By CHUCK BENNETT
December 26, 2007 -- Bostonians haven't been this angry at New Yorkers since Babe Ruth left town.
Giants season ticket holders - spurred by profit or perhaps the pleasure of making Patriot fans pay - are infuriating the New England faithful by jacking up the price of their unwanted stubs on resale Web sites.
New England is trying to become the first team in NFL history to finish a regular season 16-0 - a big yawn to Giant fans, whose team locked up their playoff spot last week by beating the lowly Bills.
The markups range from three to 300 times face value.
"It's frankly disgusting. For people to charge Super Bowl prices for regular-season games, it's ludicrous," said Pats fan Mike Eats, 38, after he spent Christmas morning trolling through Craigslist ads.
Online ticket clearinghouse StubHub had more than 3,200 Giants-Patriots listings yesterday.
The average price was $277, with hundreds of people asking for more than $1,000 and even one seller asking for an insane $210,000.
Pats fan John Brooks, 33, seemed resigned to paying $300 for a ticket.
"There is a lot of hatred of Boston fans. It starts with the Red Sox, but it filters over to other sports," he said of the nosebleed prices. "From a buyer's standpoint, it's worth it. This will mark them as the greatest team of all time."