PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle this situation...

Calcountry
12-26-2007, 08:21 PM
A bum comes up to my BIL and I and asks for a smoke. My Brother in law smokes and says sure. Then the guy says praise Jesus, don't you just love Christmas.

I say, Oh yeah? How do you think Jesus feels about you smoking?
To which he says, It's all good, can you help out a hungry man with some money for some food.

We are in front of McD's, so I say, "You hungry? You want a hamburger?" He realizes I am on to his BS, so he calls me and says sure.

So we start walking into the joint and on the way he ups the ante, "I'd like a #2 with a Coke".

Uh uh, I said I'll get you a hamburger.

A few more strides, right when we hit the door he goes, they have a double cheeseburger for a buck. \

That's it! you're done. I turn around and say, "haven't you ever heard? Beggars can't be choosers?"
He's going, "you don't have to be rude".

Trust me, I've seen desperate and hungry and this guy wasn't one of them. The dude that was scrounging through my garbage, I asked "why are you doing that", he says, "I'm just trying to find some cans so i can survive." To that I have compassion on and gave him a dollar if he would stop. It is a case by case bases with me.

Well, was I rude to the first guy? I think the punk was on a mission to score some night train or whatever, and I wasn't playing.

How do you deal with the bums when they ask for gas money? I would love to hear some war stories about this, we have no shortage of that crap out here in california.

SPchief
12-26-2007, 08:23 PM
In before MEMEME

Fly O.T. McWall
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
i saw a woman out at wal-mart trying to score cash for food for her and her children. i offerd to take her in and buy her groceries. she declined.

another guy once needed gas money... i offered to go pick up some gas for him (i had a couple of carry tanks in the trunk) and he accepted and thanked me no less than 30 times.

just because one person is rotten doesn't mean there aren't others out there that really do need a hand.

JBucc
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
You should have kidnapped him and sold him into slavery. No one would miss him.

Bob Dole
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Bob Dole gives them a card with the home address of the head of the local Democratic party.

Fly O.T. McWall
12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
to answer your question, the "beggars can't be choosers" line may have been a *little* rude, but not over the top.

Buck
12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I think that if they are asking that deep, they really are desperate.

UteChief
12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
I ignore them. Or just tell them no. There are plenty of government programs to help them. My mom works for one.

SPchief
12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Or you could have just pushed to the ground and started laughing at him.

88TG88
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I usually tell them to eff off. Crackheads in my neighborhood are ravenous.

2bikemike
12-26-2007, 08:59 PM
It always cracks me up to see these guys standing on the corner with their signs saying they're homeless and need help. Give them a good once over and you notice that they are over weight, shaved, Clothes are some what neat and they look relatively clean. Now how does a homeless guy get all that?

The way I look at it if they can stand on the corner with a sign begging I am sure some pizza joint or housing developer will pay them to stand on the corner and flip a sign around advertising some product or business.

I for one never give money but I will get them a meal at a fast food joint if they look like they really need it.

el borracho
12-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I just pretend I don't speak English and keep on walking. Works like a charm. There is really no reason to engage in any dialogue with a bum- you get nothing out of the exchange except emotionally bent.

Baconeater
12-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Go to downtown Seattle sometime, you can't step out onto the sidewalk without someone hitting you up. Hell they panhandle INSIDE the McDs there.

FAX
12-26-2007, 09:01 PM
There was an amazing guy here in Nashville who founded an outreach facility for homeless persons called "Community Care Fellowship". The program has been wildly successful in helping legitimate homeless people (often runaways, battered wives, guys down on their luck, etc.) get cleaned up and find jobs and temporary housing. They also provide a daily hot lunch.

I once had a bunch of cards printed up with the address of the place and directions on the back. Then, when the hobos approachd me or I saw a guy at an intersection with a sign, I gave him the card. At least 99 times out of 100, they threw it away.

FAX

Simplex3
12-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Kind of like that asshole that sits in front of Barnes and Noble on the Plaza asking everyone for a down-payment on a cheeseburger. That guy was an annoying c**k even *before* he got some worthless corn-holer of a lawyer to help him sue B&N. Now Cheeseburger asshole drives in to the Plaza everyday from his house up North to beg in front of B&N.

StcChief
12-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Bob Dole gives them a card with the home address of the head of the local Democratic party.He will fit right in....

they'll buy him a carton of cigs for vote, come back on election day. Straight ticket in / out in 10 minutes

Simplex3
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh, and don't forget the guy that panhandles in front of the Plaza Gap who got busted driving to "work" one day in his Caddy.

http://www.pitch.com/2006-12-14/news/a-holiday-catalog-of-bumming/1

Cartman
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Sir, please step out of the car.

ChiefaRoo
12-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I usually buy them lunch and a fluorescent t-shirt, tell them to put it on and meet me down by the railyard, river etc after dark. Then I head home, get my 9mm and night goggles and head out.

Phobia
12-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I spot them before they spot me and ask them for some change before they can open their mouth. Really. Works every time. I've never had them give me any but they rarely ask either.

Groves
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I never ask Hollywood what they're going to do with my money when I see a movie. I don't care. Likewise, I know some people will be able to fool me when I give them money, but I don't really care. I make my best judgement.

I always tell them it's between God and them. I give cause I have need to give, the rest is on their conscience.

CoMoChief
12-26-2007, 09:12 PM
http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123037/2076357/2087817/030919_PACKERS.jpg

Simplex3
I never ask Hollywood what they're going to do with my money when I see a movie. I don't care. Likewise, I know some people will be able to fool me when I give them money, but I don't really care. I make my best judgement.

I always tell them it's between God and them. I give cause I have need to give, the rest is on their conscience.
Please give to people who aren't f**king charlatans. There are plenty of people actually in need, these "bums" are actually just making a bunch of tax-free income.

StcChief
I spot them before they spot me and ask them for some change before they can open their mouth. Really. Works every time. I've never had them give me any but they rarely ask either.
I like it, will remember that next summer going to new Busch

FAX
12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
While working with Community Care Fellowship, I once met Nashville's King of the Hobos. His street name was "Bear". He had a shack beneath the overpass on the Cumberland river (near where the Tacks play now) that must have taken years to build and was made out of a little bit of everything including hubcaps, corrugated steel, wood, radiators, tarps, and other stuff. It was a split level deal with a porch and a fireplace.

Anyhow, Bear "owned" several prime locations for panhandling in Nashville including some good intersections. These were rented out to other hobos who would give him a portion of their daily take. But, if they held out on him, he would beat them with a club.

My theory is that Bear would have made a darn good businessman if his life had taken a slightly different path.

FAX

Groves
12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Please give to people who aren't f**king charlatans. There are plenty of people actually in need, these "bums" are actually just making a bunch of tax-free income.

I've got a pretty good eye, so I don't get too burned, but for cases close to the line, "why not give?", says I.

Simplex3
12-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I've got a pretty good eye, so I don't get too burned, but for cases close to the line, "why not give?", says I.
Most of these guys are already cheating the system out of welfare, disability, food stamps, etc. They're perfectly capable of working, they simply choose this as their line of work. They put in 8 to 12 hour days in all manner of weather conditions, 6 or more days a week. How disabled does that make them?

Your donations to their type encourages the activity and puts an unneeded strain on the system.

ChiefaRoo
12-26-2007, 09:17 PM
While working with Community Care Fellowship, I once met Nashville's King of the Hobos. His street name was "Bear". He had a shack beneath the overpass on the Cumberland river (near where the Tacks play now) that must have taken years to build and was made out of a little bit of everything including hubcaps, corrugated steel, wood, radiators, tarps, and other stuff. It was a split level deal with a porch and a fireplace.

Anyhow, Bear "owned" several prime locations for panhandling in Nashville including some good intersections. These were rented out to other hobos who would give him a portion of their daily take. But, if they held out on him, he would beat them with a club.

My theory is that Bear would have made a darn good businessman if his life had taken a slightly different path.

FAX

He sounds like a hobo pimp

Cartman
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM

FAX

Skidrow's version of Carl Peterson, I'd say.

Phobia
12-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I give plenty, just not to nuisance panhandlers.

Groves
12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Most of these guys are already cheating the system out of welfare, disability, food stamps, etc. They're perfectly capable of working, they simply choose this as their line of work. They put in 8 to 12 hour days in all manner of weather conditions, 6 or more days a week. How disabled does that make them?

Your donations to their type encourages the activity and puts an unneeded strain on the system.

I don't give to THOSE guys. I just look at my crystal ball to figure out who's who. What's your strategy? Give to none of em?

Phobia
12-26-2007, 09:30 PM
What's your strategy? Give to none of em?
Yes.

banyon
12-26-2007, 09:31 PM

That's true for a lot of them, but there's a sizeable number that used to be (or would be) in mental institutions till we closed em' up and let them all out. I see these folks too.

Simplex3
12-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't give to THOSE guys. I just look at my crystal ball to figure out who's who. What's your strategy? Give to none of em?
If they're healthy enough to stand out there begging they're healthy enough to work a real job.

Groves
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
You guys need more crystal balls, apparently. Quite handy.

I'm with you guys, I never like to be snaked out of coin just because they ask. I think I used to be more hardcore about it, but then I tallied up how many people in a year actually ask me for money.

Now my rule is pretty much give unless I get the weirdness. Even if I'm wrong, I'm out less than a coupla hundred annually.

Now, if I lived in a huge metro area where I was accosted daily, I'm sure I'd change my tune.

Calcountry
12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
It always cracks me up to see these guys standing on the corner with their signs saying they're homeless and need help. Give them a good once over and you notice that they are over weight, shaved, Clothes are some what neat and they look relatively clean. Now how does a homeless guy get all that?

The way I look at it if they can stand on the corner with a sign begging I am sure some pizza joint or housing developer will pay them to stand on the corner and flip a sign around advertising some product or business.

I for one never give money but I will get them a meal at a fast food joint if they look like they really need it.This reminds me of a time when I was waiting in a drive through lane. Having already passed a lady holding a cardboard sign, I noticed that she had walked arround the corner of the Mcd's. As I finished ordering, and proceeded to turn the corner, I saw her walking towards a camper. I finished paying for my burger and drive out in the parking lot, only to notice her talking to guys in the camper, then going to unlock the trunk of firebird. It wasn't new, but obviously still in running condition. It looked as if her shift was over, as she put the sign in the car, and another dude was walking out to the corner with a different sign. This is no shit, now. So maybe now you might know why some of us are a bit calloused to all this crap.

Calcountry
12-26-2007, 11:12 PM
If they're healthy enough to stand out there begging they're healthy enough to work a real job.Hell, I bet that this guy had a job, but saw some white bread in front of him and thought he could play that liberal guilt shit on me. Homey don't play that.

kcfanintitanhell
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
There was an amazing guy here in Nashville who founded an outreach facility for homeless persons called "Community Care Fellowship". The program has been wildly successful in helping legitimate homeless people (often runaways, battered wives, guys down on their luck, etc.) get cleaned up and find jobs and temporary housing. They also provide a daily hot lunch.

I once had a bunch of cards printed up with the address of the place and directions on the back. Then, when the hobos approachd me or I saw a guy at an intersection with a sign, I gave him the card. At least 99 times out of 100, they threw it away.

FAX

Mr Fax-Do you know where Magazine Street is in Nashville? It's right off Division where it crosses I-40. I was doing a session there, and it lasted about six days, and everyday about dusk we would see the same three people, two guys and a girl, walking toward the Cumberland River cardboard shacks with two big Domino's pizzas and a case of beer...if they had a TV down there, they were set.

cardken
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
It was'nt till i moved to las Vegas have I seen so many, hucksters and jive artists in my life. I don't even interact with them anymore. when I enter a venue and see a begger out front out comes the cell phone for a phantom call. I just walk by and ignore them, if they try to "interept" I give them the "i'm busy, hand wave of the just a minute finger" and keep walkin.

RJ
12-26-2007, 11:24 PM

FAX

Mack and the Boys.

Or, to clarify in an edit, Cannery Row.

siberian khatru
12-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Shoulda busted out a little of the old ultra-violence:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcbQ1RIStus&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcbQ1RIStus&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2bikemike
12-27-2007, 12:47 AM
There used to be a guy down at the end of I-8 a major artery down to the Beach area. He held up a sign that read " Why Lie I need a Beer" and People would hand him beers out of their coolers.

Gotta admire is honesty.

cdcox
12-27-2007, 01:41 AM
I'll summarize my one-on-one life experiences (25+ years of being an adult, so I'm no Mother Teresa by any means):

1) I was in downtown Memphis and this dude gives me a song and dance about being a college student away from home, wanting to get back. He wants a pretty decent sum of money for a bus ticket. Too much I say. So he asks a lesser amount to put him up for the night at the mission. I'm willing to invest this much, so off we go to the mission. He starts leading me down this alley, and I get a bad feeling. So I offer to buy him a meal instead. Fried ckicke and french fries, then he bitches about the meal. By the time we part ways, I'm pretty sure he isn't a college student.

2) Some guy I met a church (not a member, but came to our services a few times) is down on his luck. Real hard case. I decide to help him to the best of my abilities. I buy him a meal or two and spend a lot of time giving him advice about getting on his feet (i.e. job) and reconciling with his family. Once he realizes I'm not going to hand him wads of cash, he pushes me away and quits coming to church. This guy had real needs, but didn't want the kind of help I was offering.

3) Dude comes up to me in our (inner city) church parking lot in the late evening with a song and dance about needing gas to drive across the state to get back to his family. I offer to go to the gas station and fill his tank. After about $5, he doesn't want any more gas. Apparently he was worried that he wouldn't be able to pull his scam on anyone else that called his bluff if his tank was full.

4) Dude comes up to me in the church parking lot (again) needing food for his family. I offer to buy him some, but am leary about letting him in my vehicle. So I agree to meet him at a nearby grocery store about two blocks away. To my surprise, he shows up. He picks out enough meat and other groceries for about three meals. Very courteous and thankful. I thought his story was at least mostly true. Good experience.

5) I was at a resturant parking lot after getting some take out for my wife when my daughter was in the hospital. Dude approaches me about this very long and complicated story about coming from out of town to see his relative in the hospital and van trouble and hard luck and running out of money. He had his family with him and his 7 yo son was hungry and his brother couldn't wire him money until tomorrow morning. I mulled this story over in my mind and it just didn't seem that urgent. So I said "He won't starve to death." The guy got really upset and told me to get in my truck and leave before he lost control. I'm 95% sure he was BSing me, but I still feel a tiny bit of guilt over the remaining 5% and how callous I was.

So out of 5 encounters there were 3 who I think were scamming me, 1 who probably needed a level of help I wasn't able to give and 1 that I probably helped. I've donated both dollars and time through organizations designated to help people in need and I feel a whole lot better about those experiences than my individual encounters. FWIW.

ChiefaRoo
12-27-2007, 01:55 AM
I'll summarize my one-on-one life experiences (25+ years of being an adult, so I'm no Mother Teresa by any means):

1) I was in downtown Memphis and this dude gives me a song and dance about being a college student away from home, wanting to get back. He wants a pretty decent sum of money for a bus ticket. Too much I say. So he asks a lesser amount to put him up for the night at the mission. I'm willing to invest this much, so off we go to the mission. He starts leading me down this alley, and I get a bad feeling. So I offer to buy him a meal instead. Fried ckicke and french fries, then he bitches about the meal. By the time we part ways, I'm pretty sure he isn't a college student.

2) Some guy I met a church (not a member, but came to our services a few times) is down on his luck. Real hard case. I decide to help him to the best of my abilities. I buy him a meal or two and spend a lot of time giving him advice about getting on his feet (i.e. job) and reconciling with his family. Once he realizes I'm not going to hand him wads of cash, he pushes me away and quits coming to church. This guy had real needs, but didn't want the kind of help I was offering.

3) Dude comes up to me in our (inner city) church parking lot in the late evening with a song and dance about needing gas to drive across the state to get back to his family. I offer to go to the gas station and fill his tank. After about $5, he doesn't want any more gas. Apparently he was worried that he wouldn't be able to pull his scam on anyone else that called his bluff if his tank was full.

4) Dude comes up to me in the church parking lot (again) needing food for his family. I offer to buy him some, but am leary about letting him in my vehicle. So I agree to meet him at a nearby grocery store about two blocks away. To my surprise, he shows up. He picks out enough meat and other groceries for about three meals. Very courteous and thankful. I thought his story was at least mostly true. Good experience.

5) I was at a resturant parking lot after getting some take out for my wife when my daughter was in the hospital. Dude approaches me about this very long and complicated story about coming from out of town to see his relative in the hospital and van trouble and hard luck and running out of money. He had his family with him and his 7 yo son was hungry and his brother couldn't wire him money until tomorrow morning. I mulled this story over in my mind and it just didn't seem that urgent. So I said "He won't starve to death." The guy got really upset and told me to get in my truck and leave before he lost control. I'm 95% sure he was BSing me, but I still feel a tiny bit of guilt over the remaining 5% and how callous I was.

So out of 5 encounters there were 3 who I think were scamming me, 1 who probably needed a level of help I wasn't able to give and 1 that I probably helped. I've donated both dollars and time through organizations designated to help people in need and I feel a whole lot better about those experiences than my individual encounters. FWIW.

So out of those five experiences how many times did you wake up with an empty wallet, a scraped forehead and a sore arse?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Go to downtown Seattle sometime, you can't step out onto the sidewalk without someone hitting you up. Hell they panhandle INSIDE the McDs there.

It is HORRIBLE. They've actually passed a law up north in the suburbs that prohibits you from standing at freeway off ramps begging. When I'm walking downtown, when I see them approach, I quickly ask them if they have any spare change. It usually gets the point across.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-27-2007, 02:05 AM

LMAO Should've read the thread before posting.

ClevelandBronco
12-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Too may times folks just need this:

http://step13.org/

That doesn't rule out learning about any individual's situation to find out whether we can provide short-term help right now.

cdcox
12-27-2007, 02:14 AM
So out of those five experiences how many times did you wake up with an empty wallet, a scraped forehead and a sore arse?

LMAO

Thankfully, I've got a pretty good sense about physical damage. The only time I caught that vibe was that alley in Memphis, and my brain sent the abort signal 100 ft before we got there.

Nine times out of ten I've got less than $10 bucks in my wallet, so even if I empy my wallet, the damage is light.

ChiefaRoo
12-27-2007, 02:17 AM
LMAO

Thankfully, I've got a pretty good sense about physical damage. The only time I caught that vibe was that alley in Memphis, and my brain sent the abort signal 100 ft before we got there.

Nine times out of ten I've got less than $10 bucks in my wallet, so even if I empy my wallet, the damage is light.

I lived in Memphis for many years. I know exactly what you are talking about. Never go down those alleys and keep your head on a swivel if you are alone. It's best to party downtown with a couple of friends and don't walk to Rayfords.

KCKID58
12-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Give them a bowl of antifreeze. They seem to like it.
it taste sweet.

BigRedChief
12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Damn some of you guys are stone cold.:eek:

I've been "on the streets" many times. Not because I was poor or hungry but traveling around the U.S. and the world. Yes, I'd have to agree with most posters here that the majority of these "beggers" are scammers trying to get drug or alcohol money. Their life is for chit and they have lost hope. The time that they are high or drunk is the only escape for them.

But some are truly in a temp bad spot and could use a hand up.

DenverChief
12-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Give them a dollar? I mean what is a dollar? sheesh

Actually 90 percent of the time I use my debit card so the answer is no money only plastic...or if I do have money it is usually less than a dollar in change...easily parted with

Chief Faithful
12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
While leaving a Chicago Sox game to boys around the age of 10 approach me for money so they can get a taxi home. It was obviously a scam. Ticks me off that these two boys are practicing cons at an elementary school age. The parents where probably in the area practicing their own scams.

Stewie
12-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Mesa, AZ
Dude rides up on a 10-speed bike with broken V-belt in hand.
Says his family of 4 is stranded and needs 7 more dollars to repair.
I said, "Sell your bike!"
He rode away.

Demonpenz
12-27-2007, 01:05 PM
i will give them a dollar if they dance for a couple minutes or have a joke worth a laugh

Cochise
12-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Sometimes I give to the ones playing an instrument or something. But I'm not going to give money to some bum just because he's a bum. At least do something entertaining.

Saulbadguy
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Should have stabbed him in the neck.

Jilly
12-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I often wish I could give more, I guess I just feel like maybe out of generosity and compassion, without the strings attached, it may just change someone some day. So I guess I just give because it seems like the right thing to do.

Saulbadguy
12-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I often wish I could give more, I guess I just feel like maybe out of generosity and compassion, without the strings attached, it may just change someone some day. So I guess I just give because it seems like the right thing to do.
I think it is the wrong thing to do. JMO, but most of the time they just want money to buy crack or booze. There are services available for those truly in need of food and shelter, but of course, they don't give away drugs there, so these people don't take advantage of those services.

chagrin
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
what's a tiny little McDonald's burger going to do for the guy, take 5 bucks and buy him 4 things off the dollar menu - that's my first thought.

Then I thought he was totally playing you, maybe you did the right thing.

Jilly
12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I think it is the wrong thing to do. JMO, but most of the time they just want money to buy crack or booze. There are services available for those truly in need of food and shelter, but of course, they don't give away drugs there, so these people don't take advantage of those services.

I don't know, I work with this a lot and the "services" that are available, at least in my area, have a lot of stipulations and a lot of red tape and often people can't get the help they need. Especially those who are mentally disabled. And maybe 8 out of 10 times they aren't truly needy, but its those last 2 that I give for. It's my faith, I guess I just feel like maybe God will work through even the $2 I give to change someone's life, even if they are a drug user.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't give to THOSE guys. I just look at my crystal ball to figure out who's who. What's your strategy? Give to none of em?I donate time to United Way projects, donate to the food shelters and my wife and I sponsor several children at Christmas time through the Headstart program.

I even volunteered at a soup kitchen type organization when I was growing up in KC. Kind of a meals on wheels for the homeless. We would take food around to the homeless. It is amazing how many of them choose that lifestyle just because they don't want to "be in the system".

I never give to people on the street.

Chiefnj2
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Sometimes I give to the ones playing an instrument or something. But I'm not going to give money to some bum just because he's a bum. At least do something entertaining.

Does throwing chicken noodle soup at you count as entertainment?

DanT
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
With regard to folks asking for gas money, I tend not to give anybody money for car problems, unless they are asking for bus fare because their car is broke. I figure if you are out driving around with a car, you need to be a good enough credit risk to have a credit card that can pay for emergency repairs, let alone gasoline. Bear in mind that I've always lived in places that have public transit systems and I've always relied on them as my primary means of getting around.

I also don't give folks money for car troubles because in my experience as a Chicagoan, there were too many outright scammers relying on that angle.

I'm a pretty soft touch with down-and-out seeming folks on the street. Unless someone is loitering by an ATM machine, ruining the view from a fancy al fresco dining spot or wandering around in my immediate neighborhood, I'll always return their greeting and give them any spare change or, in case I don't have any, a hearty "No thank you". I say this because I consider myself fortunate to be asked to give folks money and also because I feel empathy for folks who won't take care of themselves because of an addiction, an illness, an inability or unwillingness to work and/or basic character flaws. Their souls are just as human as mine, after all.

I don't give folks money at ATM machines or by nice restaurants because that's some weak-assed guilt-trip playing crap that I won't tolerate. I don't give folks money in my immediate neighborhood because I don't want to encourage them to hang out where I live. ;)

Lzen
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Did anyone else get deja vu when reading this thread starter?

bunnytrdr, you sure you didn't post this same thing a couple years ago?

Calcountry
12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Give them a dollar? I mean what is a dollar? sheesh

Actually 90 percent of the time I use my debit card so the answer is no money only plastic...or if I do have money it is usually less than a dollar in change...easily parted withAs far as I am concerned, that is the most chicken shit way of getting out of helping someone I have ever heard of. Reminded me of the dudes combing a restaurant I was eating in. These dudes were brazen enough to walk into a restaurant and shake the diners down while they were eating. They went from booth to booth. When they got to my booth, they asked for some money, not some of my food, but money. I said "No." The dude in the booth behind me used the I only have credit cards dodge. I thought, how chicken shit is that.

Oh, and Lzen. I probably did start this thread a couple of years ago, but I was still a n00b then, and I don't think it garnered nearly the responses it is this time. Plus, there have been many more instances in the 2 years, and the 07 planet isn't anything like the 04 planet.

This is obviously something that is very personal to me. I have also given money on some occasions, bought a Snapple and hamburgers for a dude in Sacramento, even though the brothers behind the counter urged me NOT TO.

Like I said, it is a case by case situation with me. When dudes play their hand, and act like I owe them something, IT PISSES ME OFF. I don't owe anybody anything other than my attention because they are human beings. Don't treat me like a sucka and you might get helped.

There was also the dude that asked me for some money on the Bart train, I said "No". The dude proceeds to walk up to where I am sitting and go off about the 21 million of his kind that were gonna wipe assholes like me off the face of the earth. To all that, I kept silent, but leaned forward slightly, fully ready to squat that fat slob of a human being up against the back of the BART trains glass. What he didn't know, was at the time, I really didn't care if I lived or died right then as I was going through some shit. I think he was trying to get me to say a banned word or something, but I wasn't biting, just ready if he took another step. Lucky for him, he walked his fat mouth back to the other side of the train and shut the hell up.

Then, at the end of the train ride, I get off the train, and there is a dude in SF holding a plastic bucket, and he very nicely says, "we are gathering a fund to help some homeless." I wanted to help, but I honestly didn't want to throw a 20 in the cup, so I told him, "the checks is in the mail". Rather than get smart, he says "you too man?" I laugh, and I tell him, I will be back with some change, I promise. I certainly did bring some back, because that dude, despite his situation, didn't act like he was entitled to some of my coin.

Iowanian
12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Remind me to tell the story about the poor young folks who needed some money and and then a ride from my broke cousin down at the super walmart by Bannister....when proceeded to pull a gun, take him to some ally behind some apartments, took his I believe $2.17 and shot the gun.

Most of my help is going to come by giving to the church, which system workers regularly ask for money, hotels or gas money.....Catholic Charities, which I know helps more people per year than the red cross....and other legitimate organizations and private things we chose to do.

Once, when I was a broke ass college student, a hobo approached a group of us asking for "Change for a brotha".....my brother's reply of "got change for a nickel" was probably the best reply I've seen, because the dude's jaw dropped and he walked away.

bowener
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I had a neat experience at a wal-mart late one night in columbia. I come out to my car and this nasty looking chic is walking up to me and stops me and gives me this absolute crock story (too sad to be true type) about how her husband is a vet and the VA wont let them in tonight so they need money for a room and gas money and food money... which I know isnt true bc I have an ex who works there, and they let you in or help you find a place to stay... when she realized I wasnt going to bite she drops the bombs out of the blue, "I mean I wont give you a blowjob..." in the tone of voice meaning, "I will give you a blowjob." I declined and climbed in my car, it was at that moment I looked across 2 spaces in front of me and a rather large man in an older caddy was smoking a cigar and watching (gonna have to guess it was a pimp).

Had she been gorgeous.... not sure what I would have done :hmmm:

bowener
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
With regard to folks asking for gas money, I tend not to give anybody money for car problems, unless they are asking for bus fare because their car is broke. I figure if you are out driving around with a car, you need to be a good enough credit risk to have a credit card that can pay for emergency repairs, let alone gasoline. Bear in mind that I've always lived in places that have public transit systems and I've always relied on them as my primary means of getting around.

I also don't give folks money for car troubles because in my experience as a Chicagoan, there were too many outright scammers relying on that angle.

I'm a pretty soft touch with down-and-out seeming folks on the street. Unless someone is loitering by an ATM machine, ruining the view from a fancy al fresco dining spot or wandering around in my immediate neighborhood, I'll always return their greeting and give them any spare change or, in case I don't have any, a hearty "No thank you". I say this because I consider myself fortunate to be asked to give folks money and also because I feel empathy for folks who won't take care of themselves because of an addiction, an illness, an inability or unwillingness to work and/or basic character flaws. Their souls are just as human as mine, after all.

I don't give folks money at ATM machines or by nice restaurants because that's some weak-assed guilt-trip playing crap that I won't tolerate. I don't give folks money in my immediate neighborhood because I don't want to encourage them to hang out where I live. ;)

When I first transferred down to MU I was out at the bars in the downtown (district) and this older gentleman approached me begging for money for a bus ticket because his daughter had been raped in STL and he needed to get to the hospital there... I did feel like shit because he seemed distraught, but I only carried a card and no cash and the nearest ATM was quite a few blocks... so about an hour later I am leaving a bar with some friends and he approaches us again, only this time his wife is pregenant and he needs to get to STL for that... I smiled and said he must be having a busy night... to which his eyes widened and he walked off. I felt better about not giving him money after that.

FAX
This reminds me of the time when a midget hobo asked me for a handout and I said, "All I have is small change." and the little bastard went nuts and started kicking and hollering and making a big fuss right there in public and people started looking at me like I'd attacked him or something. Damn midget hobos.

FAX

Gonzo
'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?' asked Scrooge.

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'They are. Still,' returned the gentleman,' I wish I could say they were not.'

'The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge.

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'
'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.'

Count Alex's Losses
12-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't owe anybody anything other than my attention .

Bullshit. As far as I'm concerned most people aren't worth even that.

Chief Faithful
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't know, I work with this a lot and the "services" that are available, at least in my area, have a lot of stipulations and a lot of red tape and often people can't get the help they need. Especially those who are mentally disabled. And maybe 8 out of 10 times they aren't truly needy, but its those last 2 that I give for. It's my faith, I guess I just feel like maybe God will work through even the $2 I give to change someone's life, even if they are a drug user.

People like you are the reason we have bums outside every restaurant door in downtown Atlanta.

I am willing to buy a hamburger for a retarded bum.

You are not going to help a drug user by handing him $2.

Chief Faithful
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
This reminds me of the time when a midget hobo asked me for a handout and I said, "All I have is small change." and the little bastard went nuts and started kicking and hollering and making a big fuss right there in public and people started looking at me like I'd attacked him or something. Damn midget hobos.

FAX

He is an angry midget hobo.
ROFL

Stryker
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Good topic.

My wife tells me the other day that she was on an off ramp and this dude is holding a sign which reads "Will work for food". She tells him get in and I will pay you $75 to work on our land (we have 25 acres). He declines and my wife says - I thought you would.

It is not too hard to pick out those that NEED help and those that scam hard working people.

I was very proud of her for doing that. Now keep in mind, my wife packs a .45 with her at all times - she is not a timid woman.

Me, I ignore them all because churches cater (sp) to those who are in need. There is one in walking distance to where many of them hang out.

Just my .02

Phobia
12-27-2007, 11:25 PM

Can I have some money?

DanT
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
When I first transferred down to MU I was out at the bars in the downtown (district) and this older gentleman approached me begging for money for a bus ticket because his daughter had been raped in STL and he needed to get to the hospital there... I did feel like shit because he seemed distraught, but I only carried a card and no cash and the nearest ATM was quite a few blocks... so about an hour later I am leaving a bar with some friends and he approaches us again, only this time his wife is pregenant and he needs to get to STL for that... I smiled and said he must be having a busy night... to which his eyes widened and he walked off. I felt better about not giving him money after that.

Yeah, folks with "stories" generally aren't to be trusted. If they really had an emergency like that and they don't have anybody--including the bus company employees--who would help them get to where they need to go, then that says a whole lot about them. I'm not one for "stories". If you look down and out and you ask for some spare change, I'm an easy mark. If you embellish your request with some fishy hokum, then I become pretty stingy pretty quickly.

Calcountry
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Can I have some money?Shit, maybe we can post our paypal accounts and start some online begging.

ChiefaRoo
12-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Can I have some money?

NO

RedThat
12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
A bum comes up to my BIL and I and asks for a smoke. My Brother in law smokes and says sure. Then the guy says praise Jesus, don't you just love Christmas.

I say, Oh yeah? How do you think Jesus feels about you smoking?
To which he says, It's all good, can you help out a hungry man with some money for some food.

We are in front of McD's, so I say, "You hungry? You want a hamburger?" He realizes I am on to his BS, so he calls me and says sure.

So we start walking into the joint and on the way he ups the ante, "I'd like a #2 with a Coke".

Uh uh, I said I'll get you a hamburger.

A few more strides, right when we hit the door he goes, they have a double cheeseburger for a buck. \

That's it! you're done. I turn around and say, "haven't you ever heard? Beggars can't be choosers?"
He's going, "you don't have to be rude".

Trust me, I've seen desperate and hungry and this guy wasn't one of them. The dude that was scrounging through my garbage, I asked "why are you doing that", he says, "I'm just trying to find some cans so i can survive." To that I have compassion on and gave him a dollar if he would stop. It is a case by case bases with me.

Well, was I rude to the first guy? I think the punk was on a mission to score some night train or whatever, and I wasn't playing.

How do you deal with the bums when they ask for gas money? I would love to hear some war stories about this, we have no shortage of that crap out here in california.

How do I deal with homeless? In all honestly, I get along with them fine. never had wars really.

Most of the time when they ask, they shall receive. That is my personality that I choose to have in regards to dealing with the unfortunate. And it is amazing how far it gets you. It makes you a better person and they will like you and appreciate you for that. I truly believe it is an act of worship, an act of giving. If they want more, give them twice more then they ask. The Bottomline is, if you look for trouble, hey, that is what you're going to get? So why bother?

Seriously, If the guy asks you for more, give him twice as much. If he wants your jacket because he is cold, give him your shirt as well. You are fortunate, you are blessed because you have the money to go out and buy yourself another jacket and shirt. you have the money to buy yourself triple, even quadruple the meals that the poor guy can't afford.
Just stop and think, when an unfortunate man approaches you, put yourself in his shoes. Never think of yourself, never look down on the guy. just give. you'll be a better person, and will make a difference in the poor mans day. You deserve it, and so does he.

mikey23545
12-28-2007, 12:23 AM

So what happens to those guys after they've spent your money?