PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland signs Dorsey to an extension

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Browns | Team signs Dorsey to contract extension
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:36:50 -0800

The Cleveland Browns announced they have signed QB Ken Dorsey to a three-year contract extension through the 2010 season. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
wow ......

just drafted Quinn and signed Dorsey to an extension

are they really gonna have 3 QB's locked up long term or do they actually plan on moving Anderson?

Brock
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Huh. Wonder why they did that...

chagrin
12-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Hard to believe Dorsey's still in the league; this is interesting - wonder where QB Anderson will end up?

chagrin
12-27-2007, 11:02 AM
any rumors about that anywhere?

OnTheWarpath15
12-27-2007, 11:02 AM
wow ......

just drafted Quinn and signed Dorsey to an extension

are they really gonna have 3 QB's locked up long term or do they actually plan on moving Anderson?

I'm wondering if they're planning on moving Quinn......

Deberg_1990
12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
My guess is they move Anderson. Especially if he has another bad day like last week.

the Talking Can
12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
somebody is shipping out, it would seem....

Anderson's value will never be higher...tough call

The Franchise
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
They'd more than likely have to move Anderson. They'd take too much of a cap hit to get rid of Quinn this early. At least with Anderson they'll get some picks. I could possibly see Anderson going to the Bears or the Vikings.

chagrin
12-27-2007, 11:07 AM
somebody is shipping out, it would seem....

Anderson's value will never be higher...tough call

I think less people want Brady Queen than Anderson, that's just my opinion.

the Talking Can
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I think less people want Brady Queen than Anderson, that's just my opinion.

that's my point...Anderson has max trade value now..he is sexy, and the flaws in his game haven't been exposed yet...i'd bet the move Anderson and keep Quinn...

Deberg_1990
12-27-2007, 11:13 AM
that's my point...Anderson has max trade value now..he is sexy, and the flaws in his game haven't been exposed yet...i'd bet the move Anderson and keep Quinn...

Carl might make a run at him. LOL

the Talking Can
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Carl might make a run at him. LOL

if this were next year, I bet he would

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
like we should of moved Larry Johnson last year?

pikesome
12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
As long as they're confident that Quinn won't suck, they'd be insane not to try and move Anderson. The contract/money situation, the possible back-sliding next year, the lack of talent at QB everywhere in the league. Maybe Anderson will be better than Quinn a few years down the road but if they could pick up some nice picks it'd go a long way towards easing that.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm assuming Anderson is signed through next year?

cdcox
12-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Historically, first round draft choices become franchise QBs about 1/3 of the time. I keep Anderson and Quinn another year, with Anderson the starter.

If they move Anderson, I could see them going from the present situation to one in which they needed to look for a QB again in 3 years.

pikesome
12-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm assuming Anderson is signed through next year?

Casserly was referring to the theory of the Browns giving Anderson, who will become a restricted free agent at seasons end, the highest contract tender for a RFA. According to recent reports, the team will likely do just that. The tender of $2.562 million would guarantee the Browns a first- and a third-round draft pick from any team offering Anderson a long-term contract to run the show on offense.

Link (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/browns/2007/12/02/ddn120207bigc.html)

pikesome
12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Historically, first round draft choices become franchise QBs about 1/3 of the time. I keep Anderson and Quinn another year, with Anderson the starter.

If they move Anderson, I could see them going from the present situation to one in which they needed to look for a QB again in 3 years.

The only problem with that is if Anderson turns out to have had his best season this year.

It just depends on the team's feelings towards Quinn, if he's shown them something in practices or camp, the idea is a no-brainer.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Link (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/browns/2007/12/02/ddn120207bigc.html)Thanks for the quote. I guess that shows why Casserly is still unemployed as a GM. I can't see any team giving up a 1st and 3rd rounder for him.

pikesome
12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the quote. I guess that shows why Casserly is still unemployed as a GM. I can't see any team giving up a 1st and 3rd rounder for him.

Neither could he, that was the gist of the article. I just didn't quote that part.

txhawk
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Browns will keep both Quinn and Anderson. They've been searching for a QB for way too long and Quinn's salary cap is that of a 20th overall pick. They keep both, and if Anderson becomes an annual stud, then they move Quinn later. Or they can move Anderson later.

OmahaChief
12-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Huh. Wonder why they did that...

I am pretty sure they did this as Dorsey is as much a QB coach as a player at this point. He studies a ton of game tape and film of other QBs and Defenses in order to know what to do and when. Problem is Kenny is not blessed with a great arm. He was an excellent QB for the U and lead them to two national titles. Yeah I know they only won one while he was there but OSU* needs to give the one back that that refs stole from UM and that Clarett should have been declared ineligible for. Back on point though, Dorsey is highly thought of in the NFL as a teacher and mentor from what I have read and it does not hurt that his college OC is the OC in Cleveland.

The other interesting rumor going around a bit down in Miami is that Cleveland might trade Anderson for the Dolphins 1st and 3rd. Strictly rumor on a couple of boards I frequent but who knows.

Brock
12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
The other interesting rumor going around a bit down in Miami is that Cleveland might trade Anderson for the Dolphins 1st and 3rd. Strictly rumor on a couple of boards I frequent but who knows.

Anderson for the first overall pick?

Demonpenz
12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Sounds like another brees and rivers situation

louie aguiar
12-27-2007, 01:16 PM
There's no way Miami would trade the first overall pick and the first pick in the third round for Anderson.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
There's no way Miami would trade the first overall pick and the first pick in the third round for Anderson.
just because it says "1st and 3rd" for restricted status doesn't mean that will be the actually cost.

just like the franchise tag ...... it's negotiable.

Chiefnj2
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Why does everyone think this is a sign of them moving a QB?

Dorsey is supposedly a very good coach and that is why the Browns wanted to keep him around.

KC just paid Huard 2 mil this past season and will pay him another 2 mil next year if Pennington doesn't come aboard. Keeping Anderson around for a meager 2.6 million is a no brainer.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
They should move Anderson. There is NO better time to insert a young QB than the situation in Cleveland. Great line. Good RB. Very good recievers. Great TE.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I think the Browns should give Quinn a half to play Sunday.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I would not give any more than a 3rd and a 5th for him.

Mecca
12-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I would not give any more than a 3rd and a 5th for him.

Then they likely wouldn't trade him to you because someone will offer more I'm sure.

HolmeZz
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
If the Browns were smart they'd trade Anderson. He hasn't been playing as well as his numbers might suggest.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Why does everyone think this is a sign of them moving a QB?

Dorsey is supposedly a very good coach and that is why the Browns wanted to keep him around.

KC just paid Huard 2 mil this past season and will pay him another 2 mil next year if Pennington doesn't come aboard. Keeping Anderson around for a meager 2.6 million is a no brainer.
because most teams don't keep 3 quarterbacks under long term contracts.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Then they likely wouldn't trade him to you because someone will offer more I'm sure.Anything more than that is over paying. Sorry, he is NOT that good.

Chiefnj2
12-27-2007, 02:20 PM
because most teams don't keep 3 quarterbacks under long term contracts.

Anderson is a RFA. He isn't a long term contract.

Mecca
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Anything more than that is over paying. Sorry, he is NOT that good.

And teams get desperate for QB's......we could see a QB desperation situation unfold here in the next few years.

Chiefnj2
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Anything more than that is over paying. Sorry, he is NOT that good.

For a team like the Vikings a 2nd round pick would be pretty good value.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
And teams get desperate for QB's......we could see a QB desperation situation unfold here in the next few years.No we won't. We'll have Chad. He's our savior...

chagrin
12-28-2007, 07:07 AM

Where is the rumor coming from? I think Parcells is smarter than that, don't you?

Pushead2
12-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Quinn goes, I think they can get a team to give up a 1st or a 2nd for him. and the Browns aren't that bad at the draft.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 07:50 AM
I think Quinn goes, I think they can get a team to give up a 1st or a 2nd for him. and the Browns aren't that bad at the draft.Quinn's contract will not alllow them to trade him. Too much of a cap hit. Anderson is a RFA.

Brock
12-28-2007, 09:07 AM
They didn't trade up to draft Quinn just to trade him.

Brock
12-28-2007, 09:08 AM
And teams get desperate for QB's......we could see a QB desperation situation unfold here in the next few years.

I would guess the rest of the league has probably learned a thing or two from the last few Miami trades.

FRCDFED
12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
No way Parcells gives up a first rounder for anyone. He is too good at drafting talented players.

It would be insane for CLE to trade Anderson. In just one season as the starter he has accomplished more then any Browns QB that I can remember. Plus, Crennel came from NE where he watched a 5th rounder (I think that is where Brady was drafted) take over for a high first round draft pick. Crennel knows that where a player was drafted doesn't necessarily mean he will be successful in the NFL.

Anderson made gained leaps and bounds this season on developing rapport with his receivers. Sometimes that is NEVER achieved by starting QB's thus is the problem in the NFL today. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't spend enough time with your receivers then you will never be successful.

To put it in proper perspective: It's kinda like LJ not spending any time in the offseason with the OL.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2007, 09:52 AM
No way Parcells gives up a first rounder for anyone. He is too good at drafting talented players.

It would be insane for CLE to trade Anderson. In just one season as the starter he has accomplished more then any Browns QB that I can remember. Plus, Crennel came from NE where he watched a 5th rounder (I think that is where Brady was drafted) take over for a high first round draft pick. Crennel knows that where a player was drafted doesn't necessarily mean he will be successful in the NFL.

Anderson made gained leaps and bounds this season on developing rapport with his receivers. Sometimes that is NEVER achieved by starting QB's thus is the problem in the NFL today. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't spend enough time with your receivers then you will never be successful.

To put it in proper perspective: It's kinda like LJ not spending any time in the offseason with the OL.There is no perfect time for Cleveland to start Quinn, than next season. The talent they have offensively, is outstanding. Huard would do no worse than Anderson did behind their line. The Browns would be stupid to NOT dangle Anderson to see what they could get.

OmahaChief
12-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Where is the rumor coming from? I think Parcells is smarter than that, don't you?

Many of the Dolphin fan sites as well has Hurricane message boards have been talking about it the last few days. I did not start the rumor just passed along info that was seen on several other sites.

Was listening online to a radio station out of Miami this morning and they are speculating now that Parcells has great interest in trading down in the first round. This might lend to them stockpiling some picks and being able to trade a first round pick for Anderson, depending on how low they drop. Lots of stuff going on it seems but nothing that can be confirmed.

FRCDFED
12-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Many of the Dolphin fan sites as well has Hurricane message boards have been talking about it the last few days. I did not start the rumor just passed along info that was seen on several other sites.

Was listening online to a radio station out of Miami this morning and they are speculating now that Parcells has great interest in trading down in the first round. This might lend to them stockpiling some picks and being able to trade a first round pick for Anderson, depending on how low they drop. Lots of stuff going on it seems but nothing that can be confirmed.
The biggest question is whether or not there is someone worthy of being paid the amount of money the 1st overall pick commands. This would make more sense after watching Parcells build his teams through the draft. I could see him trading a low pick for Anderson if there isn't any QB's worthy of being drafted. Parcells typically likes to start veteran QB's until he is able to groom a young guy. Bledsoe obviously being the exception. Too bad we didn't have Parcells running our draft room. He takes the BPA no matter what position they play and he usually takes guys with good work ethics.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Was listening online to a radio station out of Miami this morning and they are speculating now that Parcells has great interest in trading down in the first round. This might lend to them stockpiling some picks and being able to trade a first round pick for Anderson, depending on how low they drop. Lots of stuff going on it seems but nothing that can be confirmed.Wow. Trading a 1st round pick for Anderson is monumentally dumb.

patteeu
12-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Quinn's contract will not alllow them to trade him. Too much of a cap hit. Anderson is a RFA.

He wasn't drafted at the top of the draft, he fell to 20th or so. His guaranteed money was a little over $8 million over 5 years. That means there'd likely be something like a $6 mil cap hit. That's not insurmountable depending on the status of their cap situation. If they could get a 1st rounder back for him, I think they'd be tempted.

SoCalBronco
12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Yes...as OmahaChief has said, Kenny is extremely cerebral and acts like another quarterbacks coach. I know Quinn really really appreciated his assistance this summer both in football stuff and off the field too (I think he called him a brother almost). Ken is very bright and knows schemes inside out. The Browns actually cut him and Quinn got really pissed off and he was brought back. Anderson likes him alot too. Dorsey definitely knows Chud's offense,because he ran it for four years and knows football in general. I am very happy for Kenny. He has made it alot further than people thought he would...it is true, he has a rag arm, but amazing heart and is a wonderful kid. Along with Griese and Lelie, he's probably my favorite non-Bronco.