PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee apologizes for "what has happened in Pakistan."

Taco John
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
That's an interesting thing for a presidential candidate to do... Certainly, our intervention over there makes things worse for both us and them. I just didn't expect to see anyone apologize for it.

Huckabee Reaction to Bhutto Assassination

ORLANDO, FLA. -- With about 150 supporters crowded around a podium set up on the tarmac of Orlando Executive airport (and about 20 Ron Paul supporters waving signs outside) Mike Huckabee strode out to the strains of “Right Now” by Van Halen and immediately addressed the Bhutto situation, expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”

He said the assassination is a reminder that here in the US, we are lucky to vote “not with bullets but with ballots,” and said “I guess we are sometimes lulled into failing to appreciate the magnitude” of the democratic process.

After moving onto other subjects in his rally (more on that in a moment) he took questions from the press. I asked him what he would do right now if he were President to tackle the situation. He avoided taking a strong policy position, saying he would offer sincere sympathies to the people of Pakistan, and monitor who’s behind it. When asked what he thinks of the Musharraf government and how it has handled the security situation and aid from the US, he replied, “I think today is not the best day to comment on what the Musharraf government should or shouldn’t have done” though “we need a full accounting of that money.” He was also asked if today’s news highlights why the next President needs to have foreign policy, which he lacks. His reponse: “I think it’s more important to have the right principles for the American people.”

He made a bad choice of words when saying the U.S. needs to consider “what impact does it have on whether or not there’s going to be martial law continuing in Pakistan.” He should have said whether or not martial law will be reinstated – it was lifted nearly two weeks ago. A minor slip, maybe, but not a subject he wants to mess up on when he is already considered weak in the area of foreign policy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12/27/politics/fromtheroad/entry3650191.shtml

jAZ
12-27-2007, 02:34 PM
That's one area I'm disappointed in Huckabee... He seems to have a bit of a Fred Thompson type habit of not being briefed on certain things.

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that from becoming a problem.

StcChief
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
he's a preacher heart on his sleeve type.....

Reagan assassination attempt was last one on our president.

Running for president.... Bobbie Kennedy?

Cochise
12-27-2007, 03:13 PM
OMGZORS This means huckabee would vote for ron paul!!111twothree

memyselfI
12-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not an apologist for Huck but I saw the clip and to me it appears he's apologizing in the way that anyone would say they were sorry after hearing about a death.

That doesn't mean they were responsible or need to make an admission of guilt but that they are sorry for what has happened. I think he just worded it very ackwardly.

I don't think he's a wonk enough to know how the US is involved in this situation or why they'd have a reason, if any, to be sorry.

patteeu
12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm not an apologist for Huck but I saw the clip and to me it appears he's apologizing in the way that anyone would say they were sorry after hearing about a death.

Of course he was, but you can't see that sort of thing when you have coke-bottle-thick Ron Paul glasses on.

StcChief
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
sounds like a right wing neo-con conspiracy could be brewing.... Ron Paul danger black helicopters.........

SBK
12-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Haha, I'm glad I opened this thread, best laughs all day.

BucEyedPea
12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
None of the leading candidates have any foreign policy experience on both sides of the aisle. Have to look at who their fp advisors are to see where they may go.

jAZ
12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
None of the leading candidates have any foreign policy experience on both sides of the aisle. Have to look at who their fp advisors are to see where they may go.
Clinton has the most of the leaders... by far.

Richardson has a LOT of it himself, though.

BucEyedPea
12-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Clinton has the most of the leaders... by far.
What fp experience does she have?

Richardson has a LOT of it himself, though.
I was referring to the "leading" candidates.

Paul was on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/members.asp?committee=full

BTW I like Richardson on some key fp today. If a nc won the GOp nom, I would vote for him.

Taco John
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM

She took a lot of junkets during the 90's.

banyon
12-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Huckabee calls for border crackdown in response to Bhutto's assassination
Thursday, December 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
By O.Kay Henderson
Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee says the assassination of Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto underscores the need to secure the America's borders to prevent potential terror attacks here.

"We ought to have an immediate, very clear monitoring of our borders and particularly to make sure if there's any unusal activity of Pakistanis coming into the country. We just need to be very, very thorough in looking at every aspect of our own security internally because, again, we live in a very, very dangerous time," Huckabee said during a news conference Thursday night in West Des Moines.

Huckabee called Bhutto's death is a tragedy, but he suggested she had been a threat to Islamic fundamentalists. "An educated, sophisticated, strong, capable woman leader -- that does pose a threat to those who don't believe that women should be given that platform and that level of equality," Huckabee said.

Huckabee brushed aside the idea -- posed by rival John McCain -- that the incident highlights Huckabee's lack of foreign policy credentials compared to McCain's. "This is not a time for us to play political games with (Bhutto's death). It's a time to express our outrage as well as our sadness and sympathy for the people of Pakistan and for the rest of the world," Huckabee told reporters.

Huckabee also said it was time to put more pressure on Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf's goernment. According to Huckabee, a "full accounting" of the $10 billion in U.S. aid sent to Pakistan since 9/11 is "more needful" now than ever.

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=1F024482-C3A1-C582-4142B3E107EAC902

mlyonsd
12-28-2007, 09:38 AM

She can name off the ten best foreign pastry chefs quicker than any of the other candidates.