PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Herm 12-27 (lot of young players talk)

Coogs
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 12/27
Dec 27, 2007, 3:41:38 PM

Q: What’s Brodie Croyle’s status for this game?

HERMAN EDWARDS: “He practiced, the whole thing. He did everything. He threw the ball.”

Q: Is he going to play?

EDWARDS: “Yeah.”

Q: Is he going to start?

EDWARDS: “I don’t want to say that. I want to wait until tomorrow because I don’t know how his hand is going to react. But if he’s well, yeah, he’s the starter.”

Q: If Croyle practiced that’s very encouraging isn’t it?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, he wants to play. It was good to see him out there.”

Q: He’s had two injuries in his stint as a starter, and you’ve said he’s your guy next year. Can you count on a guy who’s been….

EDWARDS: “Well, he’s been nicked. He hasn’t been injured to where….I mean, he left the game and now he’s back this week. Then he had the back [injury] and he came back. It’s nothing broken, but you’re right: you’d like your quarterback to always be available and he’s missed some time.”

Q: Does that factor into your evaluation of him?

EDWARDS: “Some, but I just think the way he got hurt has been kind of funny how it happened – trying to make a tackle and the other one was a guy kneeing him in the back. It’s kind of like how the year has gone for us.”

Q: Are you going to tell him if he throws a pick to let it go and don’t try to tackle the guy and be a hero?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but that’s just his competitive nature. He was upset and he wanted to go make a play. But if you tackle him, tackle him, don’t miss.”

Q: Looking ahead what young guys have encouraged you this year?

EDWARDS: “Kolby’s [Smith] one, Dwayne [Bowe] is having a good year. I’m encouraged by the quarterback and the way he’s played. I’m encouraged by the play of our two defensive linemen. I’m encouraged by Pollard who started this year. He’s played pretty well. Nate Harris on special teams has done a good job. Svitek has played some and there are some signs that, hey. maybe he has a chance. Herb Taylor played last week and played OK. Webb has shown some flashes of maybe being the kind of guy who can make your team and help you. Brackenridge was a free agent kid who we liked and came in and played nickel for us. Now, he got hurt but he did a good job. Barksdale is another young guy who’s done a good job on special teams. Dimitri Patterson is another who’s played special teams for us. He’s done a fairly nice job. The guys that I can get up to play I’m trying to play.

“There are a bunch of young guys who have played all of a sudden for us. We’re trying to gather information, that’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to gather information as we try to win games.”

Q: Looking back on it, have you maximized that to the extent you can – tried to get as many of those guys as much time as you could?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but never losing sight of trying to win. What people fail to realize is that you can only dress 45 guys. That’s what makes it difficult. You wish you get a couple more guys. But the way the roster plays out sometimes and the way guys get injured you can’t dress all of them at times. I’d love to get Michael Allen up in a game but it’s tough because of the tight end situation. The other guy I forgot about is Battle. Battle ran the ball last week and scored a touchdown. He’s a guy we got here late. We’re going to give him the ball a little more this week so we’ll find out more about him.

“So, when you look at us there are a lot of young guys in there playing. The thing you know when you put young players in – and we said we were going to do that in the off-season – is that you’re going to live with their mistakes because you know they’re going to make errors. When they make those errors because of how tight the games are you don’t overcome them sometimes and you have to live with it. Some of them make errors, some make mental mistakes, some of them can’t focus for a long time. But that’s part of the process. But they’re going to be much better next year because they’ve gone through this.”

Q: Do you see the guys you mentioned as starters, the future of this team?

EDWARDS: “Are they all starters? I don’t know that. The majority of them are starters and that’s good. That’s a good nucleus of guys. Most of these kids have been drafted here. We drafted them for a reason. We drafted them because we thought they had the ability to come in and play. And that’s what you have to do. You have to give young players the opportunity to play if you’re headed that way.

“That’s where we’re headed. Let’s not sugar-coat it. We’re headed that way. That’s the way we need to go and we’re finding out and it’s painful when you go through a year like this. When you lose games you say there are no bright spots. Well, there are some bright spots but collectively we haven’t been good enough to win games. That’s the disappointing part.”

Q: But on offense you’re still playing a bunch of Vermeil’s guys. Do you feel like this is your team in that sense, that you’ve done what you hoped you’d do?

EDWARDS: “The last two years we’ve had an emphasis on drafting defensive players because our offense was pretty much intact. It was one that was a veteran-laden offense and we had a lot of veteran guys over there. When I came here our whole situation was we had to draft some defensive players and get some depth on our defense. We went with defensive linemen. That was one of our deals. We went for linemen and we needed some safeties and we drafted two safeties. We weren’t able to get any corners because you can’t get everything you want. When you look at those guys they’re all playing. They’re pretty good players.

“Offensively, we didn’t do a whole lot because you only have so many picks. We dabbled in free agency some but then the guy that I thought was the key this year - and people said why didn’t we draft a tackle – was Dwayne Bowe. I felt we needed a perimeter guy, a guy who played outside the numbers that can make plays for you. I felt going into this year we really didn’t have a guy like that, or could do what he could do. It’s come to fruition that he’s had a pretty good year for being a rookie wide receiver. When you look at what he’s going to accomplish…he’s probably going to get 1,000 yards and has five touchdowns. Hope he’s going to get some more this week. But that was why we drafted a guy like that.

“This game is played two ways, in my opinion. It’s played inside the numbers where you’re going to be a physical football team. You have to be able to run the ball and stop the run. Then it’s played outside the numbers and that’s the skill players. Who are outside of your numbers at the wide receiver and corner positions? When you look at your football team you have to evaluate those positions and ask who are the players who are out there for us? Are they playmakers? Can they make plays? You have to ask yourself and, in my opinion, last year we needed to draft a wide receiver because we needed another playmaker outside of the numbers.”

Q: Would it be fair and accurate to say that next season might be the first season where this is truly your team?

EDWARDS: “Your philosophy when you come in as a new coach is going to always be different than the other guy. That’s part of the deal. Everyone knows that. That’s no secret. It doesn’t mean the players there before can’t fit your philosophy. But what you understand is you have a certain way you want to play and you have to develop that in your players. The first thing you do is start drafting players like that. The other guys buy into your philosophy or they don’t. Most of the players here have tried to do what we’ve asked them to do. That’s all you can ask.

“We’re going into our third draft now and we’re going to draft some more players that fit what we want to do offensively and defensively. That’s how you do it.”

Q: Have you noticed Kolby Smith’s confidence growing?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, you’re talking about a guy that didn’t have a lot of playing time early and due to some injuries he’s played. It’s never a good thing when guys get hurt and he was going to be number two behind Larry and then Priest came back. That was our plan when we drafted him. With all that transpired, he had to play and it bears out what we thought. You don’t know that until a guy has an opportunity. Well, he took advantage of his opportunity and gained confidence. You’re right.”

Q: Has he proved he can play in this league? Is he a full-time player?

EDWARDS: “There’s no doubt. But I don’t know if he’s a starter. But I do know that he has a role on this football and can help us win.”

Q: Do you see any of your influence on this current Jets team?

EDWARDS: “There are about 18 players left. A lot of them are still playing. But that philosophy has changed too. They’re a _ defense now and a spread offense most of the time. They’ve changed quarterbacks. They’ve changed and you knew that was going to happen. They’re sort stuck in the same place we are right now.”

Tribal Warfare
12-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Only thing I hear from Herm now

is" DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDraaauh, yeah we're okay"( while drooling)

el borracho
12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Q: Would it be fair and accurate to say that next season might be the first season where this is truly your team?

EDWARDS: "No, no, no. It is already my team. I have already gotten us to 4-12 this year!"

thehead
12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Ony thing I hear from Herm now

is" DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDraaauh, yeah we're okay"( while drooling)

So True ROFL

KC Tattoo
12-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Hope to see more of Jackie Battle, I think he could be a powerfull power back.

I'd really like to see Michael Allan play too.

blueballs
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I can't recall other injury prone QBs
Pennington's was pretty much shoulder injuries as I recall
Gannon/Green/Pennington were all after a major injury and/or age

KC Tattoo
12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Brodie is a victom of misfortune. He has not had the luxery of a blocking unit & his injuries could happen to any ****ing QB. He got a knee in the back and his hand got twisted backward and it swolen.

Brodie has taken some very sollid hits and gets right up and dust himself off. I think people are going overboard on his durability. Sure he got hurt, that's what happens in the NFL & playing a physical game. He is comming back to play this week. He played the whole game after getting that knee in the back wich bruised his kidney. Good F^cking Grief.

Brodie is going to be fine. Brodie is going to play with a sore hand but he will get through it. I think we should give him the benifit of doupt too. Give Brodie some help this offseason and go with him.

blueballs
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
He doesn't get sacked like HUTARD
but he still gets about the same amount of hits
the ball is gone not curled under him