PDA

View Full Version : home network help

ZepSinger
12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Got a small problem with my home network.

The scenario: I have a cable modem connection going into a a DLink router, with 2 laptops and 1 PC all accessing my network wirelessly. All are on the same workgroup. All work great sharing info between them.

The problem involves the one PC (let's call it PC4) that connects to the router via a LAN cable. It is also on the same workgroup as the rest of my machines. From PC4, I can see and access all of the wireless PCs on my network, including moving files from them to it. But from any of the wireless laptops/PC, I can see PC4, but when I try to access that machine, I get an error message saying:

'that PC is not accessible. You might not have permission at access that resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.'

I think I've run thru all the sharing/security settings on all the machines(including multiple folders on PC4), but apparently there is something I'm missing. Any ideas from the far more technically-savvy CPers than me out there?

Thanks in advance-

Z

snatch
12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a firewall issue. Make sure whatever firewall you have on that machine is allowing traffic on port 135.

Braincase
12-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Map a network drive to it. Sounds like a session/permissions issue. Have it with my printers. The moment I open up a share and login with username/password, I'll be able to access the printer.

ZepSinger
12-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds like a firewall issue. Make sure whatever firewall you have on that machine is allowing traffic on port 135.

To my knowledge, the only firewall I have on that PC is Windows firewall. I tried both opening port 135 and even tried turning it off completely, to no avail. I don't believe I have any other firewalls installed, either..

ZepSinger
12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Map a network drive to it. Sounds like a session/permissions issue. Have it with my printers. The moment I open up a share and login with username/password, I'll be able to access the printer.

Yo Bob- ya got me at a weak spot here, technically- do I map the drive from the PC I can't access, or from each of the others?

ZepSinger
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Found it! Mcafee (sic) had been installed on it as part of the factory load, including personal firewall, and I didn't even know it. Problem solved- thx to all for your help...

Z

snatch
12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
:)