PDA

View Full Version : Acer laptops?

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Good quality? Problems?

This deal is at office max through sat:

$600

ACER® Aspire® Notebook Featuring Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2310 with DVD Burner

2048MB (2GB) DDR2
• 200GB hard drive
• 802.11b/g wireless LAN
• 5-in-1 media card reader
• Windows Vista® Home Premium
• WEBCAM
• 15.4" WIDESCREEN

specs on the chip: T2310 65 nm 1MB L2 1.46 GHz 533MHz

seems like a great price for 2GB memory and a Dual-Core....and i'm not a gamer

no info on the battery

JBucc
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Mines been fine for me. Just for browsing, word processing, light gaming. The biggest negative I can think of is the keyboard is not the best. I couldn't tell you about support because I've never had to use it in about two years since I've had this computer.

Braincase
12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
SOme of my MS associates have the 'em older Ferrari's. Runnnig 64-bit Vista and they smoked 8 months ago.

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Mines been fine for me. Just for browsing, word processing, light gaming. The biggest negative I can think of is the keyboard is not the best. I couldn't tell you about support because I've never had to use it in about two years since I've had this computer.

yeah that's how I'd use it...some light photoshop, image editing..

don't know what the video card is, but I don't game, and don't watch movies on it, so...

definetly going to take a look tomorrow

pikesome
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I was a repairman for them about 3 years ago. I was on first name basis with the local, Acer trained, repair-dude. I always thought they were well built, not quite Thinkpad level (when IBM ran it) but good, well worth the money. My wife has one, short of droping it and cracking the MB, it's been a champ. I'd whole-heartily recommend them.

the Talking Can
12-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I was a repairman for them about 3 years ago. I was on first name basis with the local, Acer trained, repair-dude. I always thought they were well built, not quite Thinkpad level (when IBM ran it) but good, well worth the money. My wife has one, short of droping it and cracking the MB, it's been a champ. I'd whole-heartily recommend them.

thanks for the info

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Acer makes a very solid computer.

Hopefully that will translate into better Gateway builds now.

the Talking Can
12-29-2007, 08:14 AM

both are Chinese builds, no?

KC Jones
12-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Wow... things must have changed a lot over the years. 10 years ago Acer components were the absolute worst pieces of crap you can imagine. I'll have to reconsider them in the future if they've been able to correct their previous production and QA problems.

pikesome
12-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow... things must have changed a lot over the years. 10 years ago Acer components were the absolute worst pieces of crap you can imagine. I'll have to reconsider them in the future if they've been able to correct their previous production and QA problems.

They got big, really big somewhere in there. They do the assembly for a bunch of other companies. I can't be 100% on their current status but about 4 years ago the company I worked for started selling Acer stuff, laptops, monitors, and other stuff because the prices where competitive, they were relatively easy to repair, and the company would provide us support without having to pay an arm and a leg to get certified. Their stuff isn't top end, more middle of the road, but the price/value of them has always been high in my experience.

KC Jones
12-29-2007, 01:30 PM
They got big, really big somewhere in there. They do the assembly for a bunch of other companies. I can't be 100% on their current status but about 4 years ago the company I worked for started selling Acer stuff, laptops, monitors, and other stuff because the prices where competitive, they were relatively easy to repair, and the company would provide us support without having to pay an arm and a leg to get certified. Their stuff isn't top end, more middle of the road, but the price/value of them has always been high in my experience.

Good to hear. 10-12 years ago I worked for a PC manufacturer in Lawrence. The owners were Taiwan/Chinese and used Acer almost exclusively. We had very high rates of returns, failed components, etc. They were bar none our worst vendor in terms of quality, but also the cheapest.

the Talking Can
12-29-2007, 03:01 PM
that deal wasn't available, ended up going to BB and got an Acer Extensa 5420...so far, I love it....

$650

didn't have the intel core 2 duo, but for the price I was fine with:

AMD Turion 64x2 LT-58 1.9gh
2gB mem
120 GB hard drive (2x 60GB sata at 5400)
ATI Radeon express 1250
Vista home premium
15 inch widescreen
4 usb 2.0
1 fire wire
S-video/TV out
DVI-D
VGA
pc card slot
5-1 memory card reader
infrared port (?)
webcam in top of screen

I actually picked it after testing several different laptop keyboards...most were very soft, actually flexed when you pressed keys...the ACER has a half-moon curve that I like, and very firm keys with a board that doesn't give...plus there are no obnoxious "media buttons"...i don't need big retarded volume knobs etc...very nice layout

the computer feels substantial, solid...for my needs: internet, word, photoshop, pron I think it will be great...