PDA

View Full Version : Red Ring of Death...again. F*ck you MS!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 01:15 AM
My 360 spit the bit again just moments ago. Packed the cocksucker up and will be returning it to BB on Sunday.

This now will mark the 6th motherf*cking XBox and/or 360 I will have owned since June 2002.

XBox #1) June 2002-December 2002. Died during finals week. Motherf*cker.
XBox #2) December 2002-June 2005. Died as a result of a surge. Also lost my subwoofer, television, DVD recorder, and router in the same swoop. (Note, I replaced the DVD drive in this one since it wouldn't read games beginning in December of 2004.)
Xbox #3) June 2005-Present. Saw 15 months of solid use. Still alive

Xbox 360 #1) September 2, 2006-February 12, 2007. RRoD out of the blue one night bought the Ext. Warr. from BB so exchanged it for
Xbos 360 #2) February 17, 2007-December 28, 2007. Locked up whilst playing GH3 tonight. Won't read any disc for more than a minute. RRoD shortly thereafter.

What an absolute piece of ratf*ck line of products. How could anything be made this poorly?

Buck
12-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Do you have it on the carpet?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Do you have it on the carpet?

No, I have it in a well ventilated A/V rack with 18 inches of clearance above it and open air in all directions around it.

Frazod
12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Having just purchased my first one a couple of weeks ago, I sure don't enjoy hearing this shit. :banghead:

Guru
12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I have been crossing my fingers since I purchased mine last September. My first XBOX 1 lasted forever. Still using it.

Can only hope I will have the same experience with my 360

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Having just purchased my first one a couple of weeks ago, I sure don't enjoy hearing this shit. :banghead:

Don't worry frazod, the failure rate is only 30-33%, roughly 8x the average of normal consumer electronics.

ZootedGranny
12-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the "I'm on my 3rd 360" club.

Over on the Gaming Age forums, there's a thread listing the stories of people and their dead consoles. 1,122 dead consoles reported by 784 posters (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8555834&postcount=6486), so, like me, many are on their second or third system. Sadly, that list hasn't been updated since November 11th, so even more people have had their systems die.

One guy I know got his replacement system back, put in Mass Effect and got the RROD two hours later. Another bought an Elite and had his die a few hours into Call of Duty 4.

I'm sure my system will die before this 3 year warranty is up.

One thing that's deviously hilarious is the rumor (conspiracy theory?) that MS has made the Falcon chipped systems output an error different than the 3 Lights of Death, so that they no longer fall under the replacement policy once they're out of warranty.

Guru
12-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Welcome to the "I'm on my 3rd 360" club.

Over on the Gaming Age forums, there's a thread listing the stories of people and their dead consoles. 1,122 dead consoles reported by 784 posters (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8555834&postcount=6486), so, like me, many are on their second or third system. Sadly, that list hasn't been updated since November 11th, so even more people have had their systems die.

One guy I know got his replacement system back, put in Mass Effect and got the RROD two hours later. Another bought an Elite and had his die a few hours into Call of Duty 4.

I'm sure my system will die before this 3 year warranty is up.

One thing that's deviously hilarious is the rumor (conspiracy theory?) that MS has made the Falcon chipped systems output an error different than the 3 Lights of Death, so that they no longer fall under the replacement policy once they're out of warranty.

OK which ones are the Falcon chip?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Owning a 360 is like being a promiscous gay drug user in San Francisco in the early 1980's

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 01:40 AM
PS3 sucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 01:43 AM
PS3 sucks.

If I could just say "F*ck you, I'm going home" to MS, I would. But my ass is 500 dollars deep in proprietary software that has about a 20% resell value.

I should probably just make the full-time switch to PC gaming, because if a component f*cks up there, it's almost always going to be either covered (Graphics Cards, memory) or easily replaceable by the end user (Optical drives).

ZootedGranny
12-29-2007, 01:50 AM
OK which ones are the Falcon chip?

Well, I haven't followed the procedure to identify the Falcon too closely, but I believe the current method is to look on the box for a white sticker that states the lot number. Supposedly, anything higher than Lot 737 guarantees a Falcon.

Another way is to check what the wattage on the box says. If it's 175w, it's a Falcon.

http://falz.net/drupalfiles/xbox360-falcon-175w-sticker-hilight.jpg

That said, some people with earlier lots have had Falcons, and some other have Falcons with the 203w power brick.

They only started entering the retail chain a month or so ago, so anything older than that won't be a Falcon.

ZootedGranny
12-29-2007, 01:52 AM
If I could just say "F*ck you, I'm going home" to MS, I would. But my ass is 500 dollars deep in proprietary software that has about a 20% resell value.

Yeah, ideally I would've told MS to **** off, but there's too many awesome games to play. I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH.

Guru
12-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Well, I haven't followed the procedure to identify the Falcon too closely, but I believe the current method is to look on the box for a white sticker that states the lot number. Supposedly, anything higher than Lot 737 guarantees a Falcon.

Another way is to check what the wattage on the box says. If it's 175w, it's a Falcon.

http://falz.net/drupalfiles/xbox360-falcon-175w-sticker-hilight.jpg

That said, some people with earlier lots have had Falcons, and some other have Falcons with the 203w power brick.

They only started entering the retail chain a month or so ago, so anything older than that won't be a Falcon.
Good. Then mine can't be a falcon. It was one of the new Pros that had the HDMI addition though.

Pablo
12-29-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm on my 4th 360. I never had any issue with the original X-Box. Halo 3 and Gears of War guarantee my loyalty. I hate PS3 controllers, and I think they're ugly. Not to mention X-Box Live > PS3 Home or whatever it's called.

Guru
12-29-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm on my 4th 360. I never had any issue with the original X-Box. Halo 3 and Gears of War guarantee my loyalty. I hate PS3 controllers, and I think they're ugly. Not to mention X-Box Live > PS3 Home or whatever it's called.
Hell, the Xbox controller was a dream come true. Putting the analog stick in the primary position makes the whole thing "right."

ZootedGranny
12-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Good. Then mine can't be a falcon. It was one of the new Pros that had the HDMI addition though.

Well, the thing is, the guy that's tracking the console deaths on Gaming Age has said there's only been one report of a Falcon dying.

That said, there's not a large enough sample size, and they haven't been out long enough to see what the failure rate will be in 6 months time. However, not only was the cpu die size reduced to 65nm, but they fixed the the believed cause of the majority of the failures, which were the heat sink clamps.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 02:28 AM

I should probably just make the full-time switch to PC gaming, because if a component f*cks up there, it's almost always going to be either covered (Graphics Cards, memory) or easily replaceable by the end user (Optical drives).

Yeah, I hear it. I wasn't trying to be an asshole when I said PS3 sucks. It just turned out that way. I've known a lot of people that have had the problem, and it made me sell mine. The PS3 is solid. Literally. It's a ****ing heavy console. That tells me it's well made. Speakers, TV Tubes, game consoles. If they're heavy, they're well made.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 02:30 AM
Hell, the Xbox controller was a dream come true. Putting the analog stick in the primary position makes the whole thing "right."

I disagree, and it's the main reason I prefer PS3. I believe with all of my heart and soul that Sony has the BEST controller possible. I don't think you could possibly make a better one. It CANNOT be improved.

Guru
12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I disagree, and it's the main reason I prefer PS3. I believe with all of my heart and soul that Sony has the BEST controller possible. I don't think you could possibly make a better one. It CANNOT be improved.
To each their own. My biggest complaint with the PS controllers is 1. the size is too small for my hands. 2. I absolutely HATE using a D-pad to control my movement.

the placement of their left analog stick was just too uncomfortable to use.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 02:45 AM
To each their own. My biggest complaint with the PS controllers is 1. the size is too small for my hands. 2. I absolutely HATE using a D-pad to control my movement.

the placement of their left analog stick was just too uncomfortable to use.

I have really big hands and my thumb sits on top of it perfectly. I think that's what it is. It's just personal preference. What really sucks to me (especially on the ps3 side of things) is the exclusive titles. Whether it be video games, or movies, it's chicken shit. Trying to blackball each other makes the whole industry suffer AFAIC.

Guru
12-29-2007, 04:56 AM
I have really big hands and my thumb sits on top of it perfectly. I think that's what it is. It's just personal preference. What really sucks to me (especially on the ps3 side of things) is the exclusive titles. Whether it be video games, or movies, it's chicken shit. Trying to blackball each other makes the whole industry suffer AFAIC.
On that we are in complete agreement.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I hear it. I wasn't trying to be an asshole when I said PS3 sucks. It just turned out that way. I've known a lot of people that have had the problem, and it made me sell mine. The PS3 is solid. Literally. It's a ****ing heavy console. That tells me it's well made. Speakers, TV Tubes, game consoles. If they're heavy, they're well made.

Oh dude, I didn't think anything of it. No hair off my taint.

I'm just glad I bought an extended warranty. They let me swap out my HDD last time so I didn't lose any game saves.

JBucc
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I've decided if mine breaks again, and they don't give me a falcon model on the refurb, I'm selling it and getting a PS3 or Wii. I'll lose some money on the resell, but it's better than having an unreliable system.

I wish Sony weren't such arrogant blowhards thinking the Playstation name would sell no matter what the price. If the PS3 were $400 from the start it would be in much better shape.

Bowser
12-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Man, you guys are all snakebit. I've had my 360 a little over a year with absolutely no problems. Of course, I don't think I game as hard as you guys, but still.

Bowser
12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Man, you guys are all snakebit. I've had my 360 a little over a year with absolutely no problems. Of course, I don't think I game as hard as you guys, but still.

On second thought, I take that back. When I originally got it, I had it hooked up to a TV where I had it vertical, and saw the RRoD. I could get a hour or so into a game, and it would pop on. Shortly thereafter, I bought a new TV and entertainment center, hooked the 360 up horizontally, and put an Intercooler on the back, despite warnings from htismaqe. Haven't had a problem since.

unlurking
12-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Converted to the PS3 this XMas. Bought the X and X360 the day they came out. Original was awesome, the 360 has been nothing but trouble. We'll see how it goes.

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2007, 05:52 PM
On my original 360. I play alot, but not that much lately. No games out there that i really wanna play after AC.

I know one day i twill break. I went through 3 original ps1's and 2 original xbox's. I never owned a ps2. I know my console is going to go down sooner or later. As long as its within the 3 year warranty i am ok with it.

There is just way to many good games out overall for the 360 for me to wanna switch to another console. PS3 is having a horrible time. Then again, its their own fault for aiming to high.

Kraus
12-29-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm on my 4th 360 in about 1 years time. 1 RROD and two disc tray malfunctions. Fourth one has lasted the longest. *knock on wood* I bought mine with the gamestop replacement program (free with purchase last year the day after christmas). I was able to swap all my bad 360's out and get a new one right away. No sending anything out. I agree the 360 is a POS, but it still has the best game lineup out there. Hopefully M$ will learn not to rush their next system.

pr_capone
12-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Same here.... I purchased mine used and it is still running like a dream despite the somewhat heavy gaming load I put on it. Also the modding it has had to endure.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Converted to the PS3 this XMas. Bought the X and X360 the day they came out. Original was awesome, the 360 has been nothing but trouble. We'll see how it goes.

You're not going to have any problems with the PS3. They're solid. Hopefully, the games will come along.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
On my original 360. I play alot, but not that much lately. No games out there that i really wanna play after AC.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I planned on going back to Godfather after beating AC. Hasn't happened.

Chiefmanwillcatch
12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
these gaming systems all suck.

A general computer with a great graphics card would beat them in price and performance.

Reliable too.

A computer system with standard controllers would be needed.

Fruit Ninja
12-30-2007, 03:43 AM
these gaming systems all suck.

A general computer with a great graphics card would beat them in price and performance.

Reliable too.

A computer system with standard controllers would be needed.General Computer doesnt have the games i like. Hell, i have a pretty decent gaming computer, but i am a sports gamer mainly and there just isnt any sports games that are better then console sports games.

Hell PC gaming in general outside of MMO's sucks horribly right now.

Valiant
12-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I am a PC gamer first.. But fortunately I am on my first 360 from original launch..

It is hard not to think environmental in some way for people that go through 3-4 360's... Maybe there is a small surge that gets through most surge protectors or something going on in those houses..

Not saying 360 is perfect in there reliability but something else has to be going on for 3-4 of these breaking because if not I think you would be looking at 50%+ fail rate for all the millions of 360's sold..

Bump
12-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I guess I've had good lucks

XBOX #1 - 3 or 4 years
XBOX 360 #1 - February 2005 - present

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I am a PC gamer first.. But fortunately I am on my first 360 from original launch..

It is hard not to think environmental in some way for people that go through 3-4 360's... Maybe there is a small surge that gets through most surge protectors or something going on in those houses..

Not saying 360 is perfect in there reliability but something else has to be going on for 3-4 of these breaking because if not I think you would be looking at 50%+ fail rate for all the millions of 360's sold..

Perhaps you would be interested in knowing that Microsoft has a 1 billion dollar account allocated towards returns/refunds on broken 360's that won't be depleted until they achieve a failure rate of 33%.

AggressiveNapkin
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
I've sent my 360 in as well.

Same thing happens with Sony though too...I had to send my playstation 2 in around 5 times to get fixed

Cochise
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
My original Xbox died after about a year -disc read problems, wouldn't run a game for more than a minute. The second one worked fine until I gave it away.

360 was fine for 6 months or so that I had it, ebayed it after that. Sounds like I was lucky not to have had problems. PS3 seems good so far. Tried to take care of both, keep them ventilated, plenty of space and no other electronic stuff around them.

Silock
12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds like you don't take care of it like you claim you do, or think you do. It has a 3 year warranty, though. I've never had an Xbox or a 360 fail on me. Never had a PS fail on me, either.

If I were you, I'd think real long and hard about how I treat my stuff.

ragedogg69
12-31-2007, 04:56 PM
i have never had problems with xbox or the 360. i have had a ps3 die on me less then 2 months from launch and Sony refused to warranty it because i used generic component cables on it. (there were articles on digg and joystiq written about me.)

Its all luck of the draw. HJ has sworn off xbox and I have sworn off sony. we both have very good reason for doing so. doesnt make either one of us right or wrong. Its all the luck of the draw. I have heard someone that has had a 360 ps3 and wii all die on them. after that i would have given up on console gaming foreven.

Fruit Ninja
12-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Sounds like you don't take care of it like you claim you do, or think you do. It has a 3 year warranty, though. I've never had an Xbox or a 360 fail on me. Never had a PS fail on me, either.

If I were you, I'd think real long and hard about how I treat my stuff.
To bad that has nothing to do with the fail rate of a 360. MS didnt extend it for 3 years for nothing. THey had admitted to a flaw in the damned system.

Silock
12-31-2007, 05:34 PM
To bad that has nothing to do with the fail rate of a 360. MS didnt extend it for 3 years for nothing. THey had admitted to a flaw in the damned system.

I wouldn't say "nothing to do with the fail rate." 6 Xboxs is a LOT. Of course there's a problem with their design, but to go through that many Xboxs signifies that the owner is at least partially responsible (exacerbating the problem that's already there).

TinyEvel
12-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Get a PS3, dude. Mail me the UPC and I'll send you a 20-spo.

Fruit Ninja
12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't say "nothing to do with the fail rate." 6 Xboxs is a LOT. Of course there's a problem with their design, but to go through that many Xboxs signifies that the owner is at least partially responsible (exacerbating the problem that's already there).
There is quite a few people that are on their 4th and 5th Xbox. I am on my first. I got lucky. I would be very upset with 6 as well.

ChiefsLV
12-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I went through two, but after they came out with that new heat-sink/heat-pipe design, they sent me a brand new one and I haven't missed a beat. There was definitely a design flaw with em though. Some people are pretty heavy gamers and it could explain how they could go through 3-4. I kept mine well ventilated in the vertical position on the top of a desk in 75 degree room temperatures and took excellent care of them and I still had two fail. It is rather dry here though. :shrug:

Frazod
12-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Note to self - leave the Xbox right where it is - freestanding vertically next to the TV with nothing to block the ventilation.

Silock
01-01-2008, 12:24 AM
There is quite a few people that are on their 4th and 5th Xbox. I am on my first. I got lucky. I would be very upset with 6 as well.

And I would say that those people probably are contributing to their Xbox problems.

Like I said -- MS is certainly at fault for the defects, but there are steps you can take that will help prevent failure, especially if you've gone through multiple ones.

Fruit Ninja
01-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Note to self - leave the Xbox right where it is - freestanding vertically next to the TV with nothing to block the ventilation.
I have it on a end table next to the window. If i am going to game it up hard. i open up the damned window lol. I also have air duster that i use on it about every 2-3 weeks or so.

KcMizzou
01-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm on my second. It was waaaayyy out of warranty, and they replaced it for free, as well as paying for shipping.

I read somewhere that the problem was in the soldering, and that it's been fixed on the newer models. So far so good.

Demonpenz
01-01-2008, 01:31 AM
get a ps3 best paperweight money can buy

KcMizzou
01-01-2008, 01:33 AM
My old PS2 failed on me twice, before I got the newer "slim line" version. That bastards been used and abused by my kids in the basement for about two and a half years now, and it's still going strong.

It's too bad they can't perfect a system before they release it, but it seems to be the norm.

Ceej
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
This thread is a big ole' jinx. Thanks fuggers.

I'm on #2.

Guru
01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I keep mine slightly elevated in the horizontal position. I don't like the fact that the DVD drive does not have a lock ring when in the vertical position.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
General Computer doesnt have the games i like. Hell, i have a pretty decent gaming computer, but i am a sports gamer mainly and there just isnt any sports games that are better then console sports games.

Hell PC gaming in general outside of MMO's sucks horribly right now.

A standardized system aimed at games would have alot of the games you like.

Everything on PCS suck because of lack of standards and all the different hardware.

Standard for gaming would be the answer.

The plus would be a dual use system too.

JBucc
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I had a quick RROD this morning. I turned it off and back on and it's worked since then. It will probably die for good in the next few days.

KcMizzou
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I had a quick RROD this morning. I turned it off and back on and it's worked since then. It will probably die for good in the next few days.How old is your 360?

I had one of the very early versions, and got the RROD... got it replaced for free, and it's been working great. Supposedly it's an improved model. (I'm hoping for the best)

With a little luck, you'll be without for 2-3 weeks and then get one that'll last.

Yeah, it still sucks... but at least they're standing behind them beyond the original warranty.

Dunit35
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I keep mine on the carpeted floor horizontally slightly elevated by a small piece of styrofoam (sp). Is that a dumb idea? I sleep with a fan on and it is actually pointed towards the 360. Should I turn the fan on when gaming? Would that do anything to keep it cool?

JBucc
01-03-2008, 09:04 AM
How old is your 360?

I had one of the very early versions, and got the RROD... got it replaced for free, and it's been working great. Supposedly it's an improved model. (I'm hoping for the best)

With a little luck, you'll be without for 2-3 weeks and then get one that'll last.

Yeah, it still sucks... but at least they're standing behind them beyond the original warranty.I've had it for 2 months. It's a refurb the gave me after my last one died.

Mr. Plow
01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I've had little to no problems with my 360. I always had mine on a shelf above my tv standing upright. I had one issue where the carriage wouldn't open while it was laying flat, but standing it upright took care of that.

Maybe I don't play as much or as hard as a lot of you. I don't know. I've had mine.....errrrr....uhhhh.....I mean my son has had his since Xmas 06.

Mark M
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I keep mine on the carpeted floor horizontally slightly elevated by a small piece of styrofoam (sp). Is that a dumb idea? I sleep with a fan on and it is actually pointed towards the 360. Should I turn the fan on when gaming? Would that do anything to keep it cool?

First of all, get it away from the carpet -- even if it's on a piece of foam, hairs and carpet fibers can get into the case and gum up the works.

Seconds, the fan won't do much unless you have it right up against the unit blowing cold air into it.

Third, I got a 360 for Xmas and the first day got a three-bar RRoD. However, it was on an old TV and I only had the yellow and white jacks plugged in. Once I took it downstairs and plugged it into the big TV (and all the jacks) it was fine and has been.

I'm happy with it so far, but the damn thing is LOUD. But as long as those fans keep a turnin' and keep it cool, I'm okay with that.

:)

As far as the PSX and PS2 go, I never had a single problem with either one over the course of 8 years. I've had the Xbox 1 for at least three years and never had an issue. But I'm just a casual gamer, so maybe that helps.

MM
~~:shrug:

Valiant
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
First of all, get it away from the carpet -- even if it's on a piece of foam, hairs and carpet fibers can get into the case and gum up the works.

Seconds, the fan won't do much unless you have it right up against the unit blowing cold air into it.

Third, I got a 360 for Xmas and the first day got a three-bar RRoD. However, it was on an old TV and I only had the yellow and white jacks plugged in. Once I took it downstairs and plugged it into the big TV (and all the jacks) it was fine and has been.

I'm happy with it so far, but the damn thing is LOUD. But as long as those fans keep a turnin' and keep it cool, I'm okay with that.

As far as the PSX and PS2 go, I never had a single problem with either one over the course of 8 years. I've had the Xbox 1 for at least three years and never had an issue. But I'm just a casual gamer, so maybe that helps.

MM

Take it back to the store and swap it out.. Mine is not loud at all.. That and if you already got the rrod take it back and swap it out..

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I'll probably soon be on the 5th 360.

3rd one (a Falcon) RRoD'd, and the DVD drive on the 4th one now will play movies, but not games.

None of the quick online fixes work, and I'm not sure if I really want to crack this fucker open and either swap out the PC board of the old drive with a new one or spoof the firmware onto a new drive.

It's one of the Ben-Q drives, FWIW

bowener
02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll probably soon be on the 5th 360.

3rd one (a Falcon) RRoD'd, and the DVD drive on the 4th one now will play movies, but not games.

None of the quick online fixes work, and I'm not sure if I really want to crack this ****er open and either swap out the PC board of the old drive with a new one or spoof the firmware onto a new drive.

It's one of the Ben-Q drives, FWIW

Trying to fix a friends 360 that did the same thing yours did. His is a BenQ as well. I have a toshiba-samsung drive that I can put back in to the 360, but I have to flash it, and I really haven't gotten around to it. Pain in the ass to tear down the side of my computer and the xbox, download all the necessary programs, then do all the shit required... plus I am lazy.

Just call M$ and let them know how much trouble you have had with their shit product and what they might do as generous understanding people to help you as much as possible. If they won't accommodate such a lyal customer (5 boxes?) then you should tell them to fuck off and switch to a PS3.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
How on earth can they not get this figured out? So fucking inferior.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Bill Gates is the Antichrist.

Fruit Ninja
02-13-2010, 09:39 PM
next time mine red rings, i am just going to buy one. Mines as it is now doesnt have an HDMI cable. its time to get one with one.Well mine has to red ring first. lol

Buck
02-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I've only had mine since November, but I am already sure it will RROD, even though people say the new ones dont. I have a new model Elite, btw.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
On hold waiting for an escalation specialist now...after the original guy (of course) lied to me for the first five minutes saying a "paid repair is a paid repair", to which I responded "a PS3 is a PS3".

I listed my long and ignominious history with MS Consoles, and the fact that every new console I've gotten has lasted at most 15 months, one lasted 9 and two repaired ones have lasted 6 and 10 months respectively.

Ripped into the engineers for doing a god awful job of outlining the system with inadequate ventilation and heat management, ripped the company for having poor QC standards, ripped the company for "rushing it to market."

Told them that problems happened irrespective of the fact that it was a launch console made in Mexico, or a Falcon chipset.

Most importantly, I did all of it without cursing, which for me, is a hell of an exercise in restraint.

Mecca
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I have one that won't read discs, you put it in and it acts like there's no disc..

Also good luck sending one back MS apparently has had enough of it, now you have to go register it and find your own box and you print off the shipping label...problem is once you have one that someone else registered guess what..you can't send it back because it's already been registered...

I'm probably going to call them and pretty much rip them a new one to see if I can get something out of the deal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Halo theme plays while you're on hold...interesting.

Mecca
02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
So should I call and lose my mind over this little fuck with you thing they are doing?

I see Hamas is doing a nice job of letting them know how inept they are.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
The thing that sucks is that I could fix this fucking problem, but I'll void my warranty if I do it, and I know the fucking sumbitch will RRoD sooner rather than later.

Mecca
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
The thing that sucks is that I could fix this fucking problem, but I'll void my warranty if I do it, and I know the fucking sumbitch will RRoD sooner rather than later.

If it's one they sent you back from a previous RROD like mine is you're SOL, someone else will have already registered the serial number so it won't let you do it again...MS is only going to let you send back ones you actually bought now apparently.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Of all the things that piss me off the most about console related repairs was the time when the dumb fucking bitch at BB customer service wouldn't let me keep my HD because she said they matched them and they wouldn't work in another unit (which was bullfuck).

Now, if I ever get ME 2, I'll have to play ME all the fucking way through again.

Mecca
02-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Looking back now there's a part of me that wishes I had just gone with a PS3.

Kyle DeLexus
02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I have one that won't read discs, you put it in and it acts like there's no disc..

Also good luck sending one back MS apparently has had enough of it, now you have to go register it and find your own box and you print off the shipping label...problem is once you have one that someone else registered guess what..you can't send it back because it's already been registered...

I'm probably going to call them and pretty much rip them a new one to see if I can get something out of the deal.

Mine did that and I put in one of those cds that clean your player and it worked after.

I had to move it around until it finally read the cd though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Looking back now there's a part of me that wishes I had just gone with a PS3.

I fucking hate Sony, but at least their console wasn't a complete abortion. The thing that really fucked me in the ass were exclusive games like Halo and Mass Effect.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Mine did that and I put in one of those cds that clean your player and it worked after.

I had to move it around until it finally read the cd though.

Mine will read every DVD I put in it, save for the cleaning disc I have, but I only put that in as a desperation move.

Mecca
02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I also think MS has about the worst customer service ever, it's like they think it's their right to treat you like garbage when they made the shitty console.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I fucking hate Sony, but at least their console wasn't a complete abortion. The thing that really fucked me in the ass were exclusive games like Halo and Mass Effect.

1 one of which is a shit game, where you would be better off exploring other territory, and the other is on PC. :)

I got my 360 for Shadow Complex and Crackdown. Other than that it pretty much collects dust.

Kyle DeLexus
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I got my Xbox because that's what all my friend had. Now I've got just as many friends with ps3's and the 3 guys I used to play against all the time don't get on much anymore.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, he can't give me a free repair, so he gets to bounce it to their offline team, who will call me between 1-3 on Tuesday, who will then take 1-2 weeks to come to a decision on whether or not to give me a free repair.

http://i45.tinypic.com/xnx02f.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 10:23 PM
3 dollar flippable Tango and Cash DVD?

Reads right away.

60 dollar game? Not a chance in fuck.

Guru
02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Man, Hamas. M$ really hates you. It's like they have a link directly to your console just to fuck with you. I feel for ya man. That sucks.

Guru
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I hardly touch my Xbox anymore but my son still plays it. PS3 all the way for me.

Chocolate Hog
02-13-2010, 11:00 PM
When I worked at Xbox I'd say 80% of the calls were about the redlight.

Priest31kc
02-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Bought a used PS3 on craigslist little over a year ago. Has had zero problems. Never regretted choosing a PS3 over an Xbox 360. No ring of death, free online, blu-ray, just better IMO.

Fruit Ninja
02-14-2010, 01:36 AM
i havent turned on my ps3 in weeks. I just like the accessability of the 360 better. I am not into blu rays' all that much, so its just ready for when God of War 3 comes out. I will dust her off and go to WAR!

Fruit Ninja
02-14-2010, 01:39 AM
I also think MS has about the worst customer service ever, it's like they think it's their right to treat you like garbage when they made the shitty console.

i have never had that issue with them and my shit has red ringed 3 times. lol It was fairly easy to do. Just sucks without an xbox for about 10-14 days. lol

Mecca
02-14-2010, 01:41 AM
i have never had that issue with them and my shit has red ringed 3 times. lol It was fairly easy to do. Just sucks without an xbox for about 10-14 days. lol

Just wait, now if you send it in and get one back, you have to register it online and someone else likely already registered that same console which means...you're SOL.

TrickyNicky
02-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Just wait, now if you send it in and get one back, you have to register it online and someone else likely already registered that same console which means...you're SOL.

when i sent mine in January, they automatically registered the replacement online.

Mecca
02-14-2010, 02:02 AM
when i sent mine in January, they automatically registered the replacement online.

It hasn't worked that way for me to this point, so now I will call and bitch them out within the next 2 days.

bowener
02-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Hamas, you should think of something amazing to put on youtube, such as using 20 sticks of dynamite to blow up your 360 to show your frustration and anger.

Maybe Tiny Eval can think of something or put you in a commercial making fun of 360. Why hasn't PS3 publicly tried to humiliate 360 for these issues yet?

okcchief
02-14-2010, 03:06 AM
I sold mine after I got it back on the second RROD. I have since been a happy PS3 customer :)

Fruit Ninja
02-14-2010, 03:23 AM
i never registered my shit, when i called them, they asked for the number on the bottom, punched it in and new exactly when i bought it. They sent me the cofffin and away mine went. My shit was that easy.

Saccopoo
02-14-2010, 03:51 AM

You could always read. I hear books were, at one time, very entertaining.

But if you have your heart set on a MMORPG, I'm sure the World of Warcraft will welcome you with open arms.

Saccopoo
02-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Hamas, you should think of something amazing to put on youtube, such as using 20 sticks of dynamite to blow up your 360 to show your frustration and anger.

Maybe Tiny Eval can think of something or put you in a commercial making fun of 360. Why hasn't PS3 publicly tried to humiliate 360 for these issues yet?

It was part of the back room deal that netted Sony Blu-Ray exclusivity at Wal-Mart.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
You could always read. I hear books were, at one time, very entertaining.

But if you have your heart set on a MMORPG, I'm sure the World of Warcraft will welcome you with open arms.

Do you know what I do for a living?

:facepalm:

Guru
02-14-2010, 02:08 PM

:facepalm:ROFL

-King-
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
If it's one they sent you back from a previous RROD like mine is you're SOL, someone else will have already registered the serial number so it won't let you do it again...MS is only going to let you send back ones you actually bought now apparently.

Mine worked for some reason. I had a Xbox RRoD on me a while back but it was out of warranty so instead of buying another for full price, I just bought one from some guy on craigslist. When that one RRoD'd I called MS and they said it had already been registered obviously, so just as a oh what the hell move, I used the repair service on the MS website and for some reason it went through and it didn't show that it had been previously registered. Sent that puppy to MS and got it back within a week just in time for the Madden release.

So if you have been trying to send it back by phone, try doing it using the website.

Guru
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Heh, my oldest just put a hole in his xbox rock band drum. Guess he is SOL

KcMizzou
02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Heh, my oldest just put a hole in his xbox rock band drum. Guess he is SOLMy son did that too. Duct tape works.

Guru
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
My son did that too. Duct tape works.duct tape? that wouldn't patch a hole when you are pounding on it with drumsticks. How exactly did you fix it?

KcMizzou
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
duct tape? that wouldn't patch a hole when you are pounding on it with drumsticks. How exactly did you fix it?He just ripped the rubber pad a bit. It actually patched it up quite well. Been on there for months.

Guru
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
He just ripped the rubber pad a bit. It actually patched it up quite well. Been on there for months.I'm not talking about the rubber pad though. This is the plastic underneath it.

Von Dumbass
02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I sold mine after I got it back on the second RROD. I have since been a happy PS3 customer :)

That is what I did a few months ago. **** XBOX

beach tribe
02-15-2010, 10:31 AM

MM
They red ring if the video cable is not properly inserted in either the TV or the Box. Just plug it in, and turn it on, and you are good to go.
That doesn't mean it won't die on you later lol.

Mr. Plow
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

That's pretty much all customer service....in fact, I'd argue that "customer service" doesn't really exist anymore. More of a "Oh you have a problem with X product that you bought from us......well, what do you want ME to do about it?"

Tango&Cash
02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I got mine repaired at Microsoft, had to ship the Xbox in, all that crap. I got an Elite one, so it's black.

I get the repaired Xbox returned back to my residence, open up the pkg, and they put a white faceplate back on a black elite Xbox360. I guess they didn't think I would notice. I called back and they said they were on a backorder for black elite faceplates. I said that was fine and all, but why didn't you just replace my faceplate with the one that actually came with the box when I sent it in? It was then apparant to me they just replaced mine with another refurbished one. I then just went on Ebay, bought an aftermarket one for about $10 rather than wasting my time sending the whole thing back in, making a new claim, etc.

Pants
02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I got mine repaired at Microsoft, had to ship the Xbox in, all that crap. I got an Elite one, so it's black.

I get the Xbox returned back to my residence, open up the box, and they put a white faceplate on a black elite Xbox360. I guess they didn't think I would notice. I called back and they said they were on a backorder for black elite faceplates. I then just went on Ebay, bought an aftermarket one for about $10 rather than wasting my time sending the whole thing back in, making a new claim, etc.

ROFL

That's ridiculous. They should have just sent you a brand new black one in that case. I'd be bitching about it to them.

Saulbadguy
02-15-2010, 02:32 PM
That's pretty much all customer service....in fact, I'd argue that "customer service" doesn't really exist anymore. More of a "Oh you have a problem with X product that you bought from us......well, what do you want ME to do about it?"

:rolleyes:

Lzen
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM

This seems to be a common thing now. WTF? Did they reprogram them to not RROD and just say "open tray" so they can say their warranty doesn't cover that? Fuggers. Mine is doing that. Tapping on the top of the drive worked for awhile. The other night, however, it stopped on me during a game (twice). Time to get it repaired. I can't wait to call them. :doh!:

Lzen
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Well that is a crock of shit because they give you a different one every damn time. You send in yours and they send back one they have already repaired.

Guru
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Next time mine dies I will just get an arcade and put my current HDD on it. I would rather just spend the extra 100 bucks for a brand new one than spend 99 bucks on a used one.

KcMizzou
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Next time mine dies I will just get an arcade and put my current HDD on it. I would rather just spend the extra 100 bucks for a brand new one than spend 99 bucks on a used one.That's what I did. The fresh 3 yr warranty is nice too. So far so good.

Guru
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
That's what I did. The fresh 3 yr warranty is nice too. So far so good.I still have a few months left on my first 3 year warranty too. I think it ends in August or September even though their website shows me out of warranty.

Lzen
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Next time mine dies I will just get an arcade and put my current HDD on it. I would rather just spend the extra 100 bucks for a brand new one than spend 99 bucks on a used one.

I just bought a new one last Friday. We were planning on getting a 2nd 360 anyways for the boys. But I still plan to get my original 360 repaired. Of course, if they want to charge me $100, I may just buy a new one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Sent in two days ago. I'm getting a free repair. The escalation team didn't even bother to hear me <del>tell</del> rant my story.

Only shitty thing? My RRoD warranty will expire on December 30, marking the 3 year anniversary of when I exchanged by 2nd 360 at BB as a part of the Ex. Warranty.

KCrockaholic
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I've had the 3 main systems. I had an Xbox360, it sucked ass from the very beginning, freezing up, shit would pop up in the middle of a game telling me the disc was f'ed up when it was actually brand new. It worked for about 3 months decently. But after that it went to shit.

I then bought a 300 GB PS3 off craigslist about 8 months ago and have been very happy. This PS3 was like 3 years old and has never ever had a problem. Free online, great graphics, the game selection is catching up with 360, plus MLB: The Show is one of their exclusive games. It was has been awesome.

I then got a Wii a couple months ago, its fun if your in the right mood. The graphics suck, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. But it has worked great so far.

PS3 is by far the best system. Just my view on all 3 systems.

rad
02-18-2010, 02:52 PM

:facepalm:

You build shelves and shit, with your <del>bitch</del> bare hands, right?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
You build shelves and shit, with your <del>bitch</del> bare hands, right?

Congratulations, your shit-talking ability is almost to the level of lobotomized gibbon.

Pestilence
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I've had the 3 main systems. I had an Xbox360, it sucked ass from the very beginning, freezing up, shit would pop up in the middle of a game telling me the disc was f'ed up when it was actually brand new. It worked for about 3 months decently. But after that it went to shit.

I then bought a 300 GB PS3 off craigslist about 8 months ago and have been very happy. This PS3 was like 3 years old and has never ever had a problem. Free online, great graphics, the game selection is catching up with 360, plus MLB: The Show is one of their exclusive games. It was has been awesome.

I then got a Wii a couple months ago, its fun if your in the right mood. The graphics suck, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. But it has worked great so far.

PS3 is by far the best system. Just my view on all 3 systems.

I started off with a 360 Pro.....and it got the RRoD. I sent it in. I went out and bought a 360 Elite and played that for a while. About a year and a half ago I bought my PS3 and then 6 months ago I bought my Wii. My 360 now sits collecting dust because my PS3 is WAY better.

KCtotheSB
02-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm very surprised you people put up with this 360 bullshit. If I were an XBox 360 owner and that shit happened to me even ONCE, I'd have bailed long ago. I know it all comes down to preference, but I've always been a happy PS3 customer.

Guru
02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm very surprised you people put up with this 360 bullshit. If I were an XBox 360 owner and that shit happened to me even ONCE, I'd have bailed long ago. I know it all comes down to preference, but I've always been a happy PS3 customer.It makes it better that they at least extended the warranty. I have until the end of August on mine then I will have decisions to make. I know my oldest probably won't be able to live without it though since that is where all his friends are. He will have to help pay for the replacement when the time comes. Or he can choose to live with the PS3.

Mr. Plow
02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm very surprised you people put up with this 360 bullshit. If I were an XBox 360 owner and that shit happened to me even ONCE, I'd have bailed long ago. I know it all comes down to preference, but I've always been a happy PS3 customer.

Eh....it's worth it for me.

bowener
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I started off with a 360 Pro.....and it got the RRoD. I sent it in. I went out and bought a 360 Elite and played that for a while. About a year and a half ago I bought my PS3 and then 6 months ago I bought my Wii. My 360 now sits collecting dust because my PS3 is WAY better.

Can I have your orphaned 360?

rad
02-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Congratulations, your shit-talking ability is almost to the level of lobotomized gibbon.

Dayum, I guess there's no joking in this thread.

EthanDOrman31
02-19-2010, 03:58 AM
My 360 spit the bit again just moments ago. Packed the one who sucks the penis up and will be returning it to BB on Sunday.

This now will mark the 6th motherf*cking XBox and/or 360 I will have owned since June 2002.

XBox #1) June 2002-December 2002. Died during finals week. Motherf*cker.
XBox #2) December 2002-June 2005. Died as a result of a surge. Also lost my subwoofer, television, DVD recorder, and router in the same swoop. (Note, I replaced the DVD drive in this one since it wouldn't read games beginning in December of 2004.)
Xbox #3) June 2005-Present. Saw 15 months of solid use. Still alive

Xbox 360 #1) September 2, 2006-February 12, 2007. RRoD out of the blue one night bought the Ext. Warr. from BB so exchanged it for
Xbos 360 #2) February 17, 2007-December 28, 2007. Locked up whilst playing GH3 tonight. Won't read any disc for more than a minute. RRoD shortly thereafter.

What an absolute piece of ratf*ck line of products. How could anything be made this poorly?
MS is really annoying some time I found a guide which will fix xbox 360 red ring of death. The technique mentioned in the guide works fine for me. Hope it will work for you too..
squidoo .com/xbox_360_red_ring_of_death_fix-how_to_guide123

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-19-2010, 04:26 AM
I could fix the drive issue, and I know the fixes for the RRoD, but I'm not doing those when I can still get it covered under warranty.

Mecca
02-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Considering how many games I have it would be a complete waste for me to switch to PS3 at this point.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Considering how many games I have it would be a complete waste for me to switch to PS3 at this point.

Enjoy the best of both worlds. All you play is Madden games anyways, right? You get new ones of those every year.

Pestilence
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Can I have your orphaned 360?

For $175 plus shipping.....sure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
So, my repaired 360 again died today. That makes the fifth such repair on a 360 (Three RRoD's, two open disc errors). M$ is sending me a new replacement rather than fixing this piece of fuck.

ROFL ROFL

Guru
11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
So, my repaired 360 again died today. That makes the fifth such repair on a 360 (Three RRoD's, two open disc errors). M$ is sending me a new replacement rather than fixing this piece of ****.

ROFL ROFL

See, that would be enough to make me abandon their product if it happened to me. I guess since you haven't had to lose money sending it in helps but that is a lousy track record.

Mecca
11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I have way to many games for it to abandon it, it would be a waste.

The elite system does run better I give them that much.

KcMizzou
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
So, my repaired 360 again died today. That makes the fifth such repair on a 360 (Three RRoD's, two open disc errors). M$ is sending me a new replacement rather than fixing this piece of ****.

ROFL ROFLHoly shit, man. I bought a new arcade version for my boys last Christmas, and just swapped out the HD. (I figured the fresh warranty would be nice)

They play the shit out of it, and when they're not playing it, I'm streaming video through it. Been close to a year now, and never a hiccup. Hopefully they've fixed the problem, and your new one will perform as well as mine has.

Guru
11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
They ought to send HJ the new slim model for his trouble.

Mecca
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
With the way the 360 browser is going at this point having one of the smaller hard drives is really going to be a pain in the ass.

bowener
11-04-2010, 11:26 PM
This is not funny, but it is. Just before I left for MA my friend bought a new Xbox and so he gave me his old one. It died today, RRoD. Hamas, I blame you for the bad juju.

Plus side is this thing has never been opened before so I am sending it to get a POS back from them. Fucked up thing is they no longer mail out the special box for you to ship it back to them with. Assholes.

Buck
11-04-2010, 11:28 PM
With the way the 360 browser is going at this point having one of the smaller hard drives is really going to be a pain in the ass.

The 360 has a browser now?

Guru
11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
The 360 has a browser now?That is my question as well.

Bowser
11-05-2010, 12:58 AM
So, my repaired 360 again died today. That makes the fifth such repair on a 360 (Three RRoD's, two open disc errors). M$ is sending me a new replacement rather than fixing this piece of fuck.

ROFL ROFLYou are straight up fucking snakebit with the 360.

Fairplay
11-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Owning a 360 is like being a promiscous gay drug user in San Francisco in the early 1980's

lol, that's awesome.

Dayze
11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
See, that would be enough to make me abandon their product if it happened to me. I guess since you haven't had to lose money sending it in helps but that is a lousy track record.

i went through 3 in 24 months. had a replacement warranty I had bought(where you don't jack with MS, you just bring in the old one, and get a new one); had it replaced the final time, sold it, and bought my PS3

Never looked back. zero issues.

Coudn't be more happy with it; I've had it for about 2 years now. I was a die hard 360 dude and was really nervous about going to PS3.

love my PS3.

Pants
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Fucking A, I've had my 360 for like 3 years now and haven't had any issues at all. If anything happens to it, I'm just going to buy the new one.

Pablo
11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm on my 4th one. Haven't really even used it in quite some time though. Watch netflix every now and then. My dad got one. His RROD'd.

-King-
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Shit...that sucks ROFL. I'm on my 2nd one. I've had it for about 3 years now and it hasn't fucked up.

Buck
11-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I've owned two. The first one I owned for about 6 months before I sold it on craigslist. Had no problems.

Then about a year after that I bought one of the Black Elite ones and I've had that for about a year now, no problems with it.

However, I use my PS3 about 25x the amount I use my 360, so I doubt my 360 will ever RROD.

Fritz88
11-06-2010, 04:22 PM
****ing A, I've had my 360 for like 3 years now and haven't had any issues at all. If anything happens to it, I'm just going to buy the new one.

My first one had the RRoD then I looked for the one with the Falcon chip and things are fine with me.

Fruit Ninja
11-06-2010, 04:47 PM
my first one lasted a year, 2nd one 6 months, and the 3rd one i have had for like 2 years now, maybe 2 and a half and its working great *knocks on wood*.

I almost kinda want it to go down so i can get a cool new one and HDMI!!!!!!!!

kstater
09-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Just got my first RROD. Yay, hadn't played it much, but get Madden for the first time in years and I get it within a week. Question, worth the $100 to get it repaired, or am I better off getting a new one?(Old one is purhcased 5/2008).

Mr. Plow
09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Just got my first RROD. Yay, hadn't played it much, but get Madden for the first time in years and I get it within a week. Question, worth the $100 to get it repaired, or am I better off getting a new one?(Old one is purhcased 5/2008).

If you have the money for it, I'd say buy a new one. You can get a 250GB console for $299. Take your old one in to a local place, see if you can get it fixed cheap, then sell it for $50 or so.

Chocolate Hog
09-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Look around theres people who fix them for cheaper.

kstater
09-05-2011, 05:40 PM
If you have the money for it, I'd say buy a new one. You can get a 250GB console for $299. Take your old one in to a local place, see if you can get it fixed cheap, then sell it for $50 or so.

Money isn't a top priority. Huge HD isn't necessarily needed either. Had a 16gig on the old one and the Madden demo was the biggest file on it at 1.5gig. I've been looking and to transfer old files to the new systems I need a secondary device? Can't plug the old external HD in?Don't have a whole lot of stuff I need transferred, the biggest being MLB 2k10 that I've got a ton of time invested. I guess my real question is are do the new ones have a performance upgrade or video upgrade, and is a RROD fix relatively reliable for a part time(maybe 4 hours a week) player.

Mr. Plow
09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Money isn't a top priority. Huge HD isn't necessarily needed either. Had a 16gig on the old one and the Madden demo was the biggest file on it at 1.5gig. I've been looking and to transfer old files to the new systems I need a secondary device? Can't plug the old external HD in?Don't have a whole lot of stuff I need transferred, the biggest being MLB 2k10 that I've got a ton of time invested. I guess my real question is are do the new ones have a performance upgrade or video upgrade, and is a RROD fix relatively reliable for a part time(maybe 4 hours a week) player.

What you'd need is a transfer cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-Transfer-Cable/dp/B003S9WJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315262695&sr=8-1

If size of HDD isn't a big deal to you, you can get the 4GB new console for $199.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can answer better, but the RROD is basically gone with the newer consoles. They upgraded a few key parts that basically killed it. As to video upgrade, someone else would have to answer that one.

Honestly, you can probably get your old one fix for less than $50 at a local place without having to send it in. But, I'm not sure that it would completely fix the issue and you could see it pop up again. I don't know that though - mine were both fixed under warranty. Since you are only a part time player, you might try that route before throwing down the money on a new one. If it craps out again, you may decide that it isn't worth it to fix again.

kstater
09-05-2011, 05:58 PM
What you'd need is a transfer cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-Transfer-Cable/dp/B003S9WJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315262695&sr=8-1

If size of HDD isn't a big deal to you, you can get the 4GB new console for $199.

That sounds like the option I'll go with. If for whatever reason I need more hard drive, it looks like I can get a 20gig for 25 bucks.

Cave Johnson
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM

There's no performance difference. Just added wifi, hdmi, and a new form factor.

MoreLemonPledge
09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
There's no performance difference. Just added wifi, hdmi, and a new form factor.

It's a LOT quieter.

Pants
09-06-2011, 11:30 AM

And an optical audio in that is not tied to the component cables.