PDA

View Full Version : I hate kneel-downs

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Seriously. I think the offensive team should be required to run a play and gain positive yardage. If they do not, the clock should not run. Maybe even take it a step further and make them gain a first down. If they don't the clock resets to when they took possession.

Kneel-downs don't offer anything to watch and they aren't in the spirit of the game, IMO.

2007, Phil Kloster

jjjayb
12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Seriously. I think the offensive team should be required to run a play and gain positive yardage. If they do not, the clock should not run. Maybe even take it a step further and make them gain a first down. If they don't the clock resets to when they took possession.

Kneel-downs don't offer anything to watch and they aren't in the spirit of the game, IMO.

TM 2007, Phil Kloster

Yeah, it sucks. Unless it's your team kneeling on the ball for the victory. Then its okay.

Buehler445
12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it is frustrating. I'm surprised the league hasn't instilled a rule about it to promote "excitement" for the game.

el borracho
12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Just take away the defense's ability to call timeout on a kneel down. It's pointless. Has anyone, anywhere, ever gotten the ball back on a kneel down and scored?

cdcox
12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I think you want copyright , rather than trademark TM.

KC Tattoo
12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
It's kind of funny, I don't remember the Pats doing kneel-downs with a 20-30 point lead but with a 3 point lead well then. :hmmm: :harumph:

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I think you want copyright , rather than trademark TM.
Thank goodness you've arrived. You saved me millions. How ever can I repay you?

cdcox
12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Thank goodness you've arrived. You saved me millions. How ever can I repay you?

Your gratitude is all I could hope for.

Unless you ever copyright something that makes you millions, then I think half should work out okay with me.

Bearcat
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I think the offensive team should be required to ... gain positive yardage.

You've been going to Brigade games during the offseason, haven't you?

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Never been to one. Probably should though.

stumppy
12-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Just take away the defense's ability to call timeout on a kneel down. It's pointless. Has anyone, anywhere, ever gotten the ball back on a kneel down and scored?

I think it happend one time. If I remember correctly it was the Eagles vs ??? someone in the playoffs or they had to beat them to get in the playoffs. The coach was our good ole buddy Dick Vermeil. And I'll give you three guess's who the player was that recovered the ball and ran it back.

Hint : The player probably would have rather stopped at the one yard line so his team could just kick a field goal instead of running the score up like in an Arena game.

This is all just going by my memory but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

DaKCMan AP
12-29-2007, 10:40 PM
That's what she said.

kstater
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
It's kind of funny, I don't remember the Pats doing kneel-downs with a 20-30 point lead but with a 3 point lead well then. :hmmm: :harumph:

Interesting point, wouldn't have anything to do with Bellicheck's ego would it?

Logical
12-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Sorry Phil, but I disagree, if you cannot be in a position to win and the other team can run the clock out on you, tough shit.

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry Phil, but I disagree, if you cannot be in a position to win and the other team can run the clock out on you, tough shit.
yep

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry Phil, but I disagree, if you cannot be in a position to win and the other team can run the clock out on you, tough shit.If the other team can stop you in regulation, they deserve a chance to compete for victory. A kneeling team is bad gameplay, IMO. It's just not fun for anybody.

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
If the other team can stop you in regulation, they deserve a chance to compete for victory. A kneeling team is bad gameplay, IMO. It's just not fun for anybody.
Its fun for the team winning. Ask 53 patriots. I bet they are happy about it

Phobia
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
This thread actually has very little to do with the Patriots. I'm reminded of my desires each time I watch a kneel-down game. I'd rather see players - gasp - playing.

Extra Point
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
If the other team can stop you in regulation, they deserve a chance to compete for victory. A kneeling team is bad gameplay, IMO. It's just not fun for anybody.

Yeah, Herm Edwards would agree, entirely.

Fruit Ninja
12-29-2007, 11:09 PM
It should be kept the way it is. Its been like that since forever. So what if they just go into a i formation then have their runningback just fall down? Its the same exact thing almost. With a slightly higher chance of a **** up, but still, it would remain the same.

Frankie
12-29-2007, 11:49 PM

2007, Phil Kloster
:hmmm:
Good idea.

Amnorix
12-30-2007, 01:17 AM

Yeah, exactly.

KcMizzou
12-30-2007, 01:19 AM
I dont mind it. It's been a part of the game for as long as I've been watching.

My buddies sure hate when I do it on Madden, though.

Bane
12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
I dont mind the kneel downs,but I hate it when everyone leaves the field with 10-20 seconds left on the clock while its running.

alanm
12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Riddle me this: From the Omaha World Herald Tom Shatel column.

Published Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007
Tom,

I have a couple questions for you.

First, why is it when a quarterback spikes the ball to stop the clock is it not flagged for intentional grounding? He's not out of the "tackle box" or does the ball go past the line of scrimmage.

Second, in college when a team attempts a field goal or an extra point, why isn't the holder ruled down when he receives the ball. He has a knee on the ground so he should be down at that spot. Especially on fakes such as the one LSU ran against South Carolina earlier in the year. The holder's knee was on the ground when he pitched the ball over his head to the kicker. That play really closed the game for them.

I just wanted to know if you knew any official rulings on those type of circumstances.

Good questions. I have no idea. Let me make some calls to some officiating friends and I will publish the answers in a future "First downs" column. Thanks, Brandon.http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

ChiefGator
12-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Riddle me this: From the Omaha World Herald Tom Shatel column.

Published Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007
Tom,

I have a couple questions for you.

First, why is it when a quarterback spikes the ball to stop the clock is it not flagged for intentional grounding? He's not out of the "tackle box" or does the ball go past the line of scrimmage.

Second, in college when a team attempts a field goal or an extra point, why isn't the holder ruled down when he receives the ball. He has a knee on the ground so he should be down at that spot. Especially on fakes such as the one LSU ran against South Carolina earlier in the year. The holder's knee was on the ground when he pitched the ball over his head to the kicker. That play really closed the game for them.

I just wanted to know if you knew any official rulings on those type of circumstances.

Good questions. I have no idea. Let me make some calls to some officiating friends and I will publish the answers in a future "First downs" column. Thanks, Brandon.http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

I was going to mention the spiking of the ball... that does seem illegal.

Interesting comment on the holder.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 07:21 AM
The kneel down is just fine. Get over it.

Coogs
12-30-2007, 07:48 AM

I have wondered the same thing on this. And on a side note to this one, a few weeks ago I was watching some game, and the QB turned a little bit more to the right than he probably should have, and the pass actually was a lateral, but was blown dead by the referee. :hmmm:

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Wait... Do they try and win?

banyon
12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
But what's Herm supposed to do with 2 minutes left in the first half?

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Basketball hated the 4 corner offense. So they came up with the shot clock to stop it. Now we end the games with free throw shooting contests. Improvement? I think not.

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 09:52 AM
But what's Herm supposed to do with 2 minutes left in the first half?

It took 30 Posts to come up with this?? Come on guys.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 09:56 AM
But what's Herm supposed to do with 2 minutes left in the first half with 3 time outs in his pocket?
Fixed it.