PDA

View Full Version : I think we should do a sign and trade on Jared Allen.

Logical
12-29-2007, 11:48 PM
By the time the Chiefs are able to rebuild Jared's career will basically be over. He is a luxury like LJ was that we should not afford.

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
How long is it going to take us to rebuild? 10 years?

blueballs
12-29-2007, 11:51 PM
He's 25
Strahan's in his 15th season

Phobia
Sign and trade is a basketball strategy. It doesn't happen in the NFL.

Logical
How long is it going to take us to rebuild? 10 years?
I would say a minimum of 5, yes Chiefs fans we are that bad.

cdcox
12-29-2007, 11:53 PM
yeah, the situations are completely different. We need more good young players like him.

Logical
It is rare in the NFL but it does happen. I believe the player who shot someone and plays for the Rams is one example. I agree it is rare.

Rain Man
(Slap.)

Come to your senses. You don't rebuild by trading away your best players. You rebuild by replacing your weakest players.

(Slap.)

(Slap.)

That last slap was just for meanness.

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 11:54 PM

Jared Allen only has 5 more years left in the league?

HolmeZz
12-29-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, the situations are completely different. We need more good young players like him.

Clearly Vlad's idea of rebuilding is trading away the good young players you do have.

blueballs
12-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Besides He is a Chief and would only
be a back up on any other team /Mecca

cdcox
12-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Trading LJ would have made sense since most RB burn out quickly, especially physical backs that get 400 carries.

Extra Point
12-29-2007, 11:59 PM
N/C

luv
12-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Trading LJ would have made sense since most RB burn out quickly, especially physical backs that get 400 carries.
I wonder if that will happen to The Vikings' Adrian Peterson.

BigRock
12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
If we could get two first-round picks for him from the franchise tag, I think that's something that should at least be considered. But I doubt any team would pay that price.

Extra Point
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
I wonder if that will happen to The Vikings' Adrian Peterson.
#49 on their team will be example enough for him to stay. Peterson will have made way more money than T-Rich will have made. I'm more glad about T-Rich making the Pro Bowl than the Chiefs picking high in the next draft.

luv
12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
I think that we have a well balanced (although inconsistent) defense. Allen seems to be the backbone though.

Logical
12-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Jared Allen only has 5 more years left in the league?

No that will be the likely length of his contract so we will either lose him or have to sign him to an even bigger contract then.

Kevin I agree in principle but we can get the most value for him, he is as they say our most marketable commodity.

Cochise
12-30-2007, 01:17 AM
If he were 30. He's got a whole career ahead of him.

unothadeal
12-30-2007, 01:24 AM
We should do that with Huard.

KcMizzou
12-30-2007, 01:24 AM
I think that we have a well balanced (although inconsistent) defense. Allen seems to be the backbone though.The heart, really. He's got that infectious sense of fun about him. I think he likes playing football as much as we like watching him do it.

I'd really, really hate to see him go to another team. I assume we'll franchise him.

luv
12-30-2007, 01:26 AM
The heart, really. He's got that infectious sense of fun about him. I think he likes playing football as much as we like watching him do it.

I'd really, really hate to see him go to another team. I assume we'll franchise him.
He's really stepped up and become a team leader. I certainly hope he stays as well.

Otter
12-30-2007, 01:36 AM
An LJ trade I can understand - he has attitude issues and doesn't seem like he wants to be in KC. To boot Kolby Smith looks like he could be a hell of a back.

A Gonzo trade I can understand - your original philosophy holds true for Tony G. By the time the team is ready to compete again he'll be ready to retire. A team like the Cowboys, Patriots or Jacksonville might be willing to pay big for him.

Like Gonzo or not the guy is one of the best to play the game and deserves to run with the elite in the big game before he retires in my humble opinion.

The Jared Allen trade I can't seem to rationalize.

kcchiefsus
12-30-2007, 01:37 AM
When exactly do you stop and say, "we need good players, even when we are rebuilding?" You are never going to get better unless you do what it takes to keep your young players. Should we just let every other young player walk if we are not a good team yet?

KcMizzou
12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
When exactly do you stop and say, "we need good players, even when we are rebuilding?" You are never going to get better unless you do what it takes to keep your young players. Should we just let every other young player walk if we are not a good team yet?Yeah... this idea isn't "logical" at all. WTF?

nomad
12-30-2007, 02:09 AM

Any signing bonus, which will be large, would have to be absorbed up front by the Chiefs.

Micjones
12-30-2007, 02:32 AM
At the absolute worst the Chiefs will be ready to contend in 3 years.

And maybe as early as next season (depending how we handle the QB situation, Free Agency and the Draft).

ChiefGator
12-30-2007, 07:03 AM
(depending how we handle the QB situation, Free Agency and the Draft).

We aren't going to be players in free agency.. remember?

Crazy to trade Allen. He could possibly play another 10 years in this league.

milkman
12-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I disagree, Jim.

A defensive end's career isn't as short as a RB.

On another note.

An LJ trade I can understand - he has attitude issues and doesn't seem like he wants to be in KC. To boot Kolby Smith looks like he could be a hell of a back.

A Gonzo trade I can understand - your original philosophy holds true for Tony G. By the time the team is ready to compete again he'll be ready to retire. A team like the Cowboys, Patriots or Jacksonville might be willing to pay big for him.

Like Gonzo or not the guy is one of the best to play the game and deserves to run with the elite in the big game before he retires in my humble opinion.

The Jared Allen trade I can't seem to rationalize.

Why does TG "deserve" this?

A lot of great players never got the chance.

In the end, TG is the dumbass that stayed in KC.

philfree
12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah... this idea isn't "logical" at all. WTF?

These guys are Chiefs Planet Geniusis......

PhilFree:arrow:

KC Tattoo
12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I say no to trading JA, he can only help the young CBs that we get by getting to the QB quicker & he is the best D player we got.

I say no to trading Tony G. and that is just pure selfeshness cus he is a Chief for life.

Trading LJ, shoulda coulda, woulda last year but didn't, now we can't so "get over it" if you want LJ traded. LJ wasn't going to have a steller year with this O-line, hopefully he can rebound next year with the extra rest he got this year I am going to root for him cus I have to and hope he doesn't disapoint. We should have trade him last year like Dallas did Hershal Walker that would have been pretty cool imo. We are stuck with LJ like him or not. I do like LJ but still wouldn't have mind if we got value for him in last years draft.

philfree
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I say no to trading JA, he can only help the young CBs that we get by getting to the QB quicker & he is the best D player we got.

I say no to trading Tony G. and that is just pure selfeshness cus he is a Chief for life.

Trading LJ, shoulda coulda, woulda last year but didn't, now we can't so "get over it" if you want LJ traded. LJ wasn't going to have a steller year with this O-line, hopefully he can rebound next year with the extra rest he got this year I am going to root for him cus I have to and hope he doesn't disapoint. We should have trade him last year like Dallas did Hershal Walker that would have been pretty cool imo. We are stuck with LJ like him or not. I do like LJ but still wouldn't have mind if we got value for him in last years draft.

Here's an idea: Why don't we just add some good players to go with these other good players and have a good team next year. The whole it takes years to rebuild a team is hogwash. Todays NFL is set up to give every team a chance to be good every year. Adding the right players to waht we have can make us a much improved team in one year. And we shouldn't have to break the bank to do it.

Hog Farmer
12-30-2007, 10:16 AM
By the time the Chiefs are able to rebuild Jared's career will basically be over. He is a luxury like LJ was that we should not afford.

Once again you have proven you're a dumbass.

Easy 6
12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
(Slap.)

Come to your senses. You don't rebuild by trading away your best players. You rebuild by replacing your weakest players.

(Slap.)

(Slap.)

That last slap was just for meanness.

I'm in line right behind you for a slap at him, maybe we should all form a line like in "Airplane" when they all slap the hysterical girl silly.

Buehler445
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Doc, I feel your pain. This is a bad team. No argument there. But Allen has many years ahead of him, particularly if he continues down the healthy lifestyle road. As long as he doesn't die doing some of the crazy shit he does, he can be in the league for a long time.

At this point, we have enough holes to fill and I'd rather not add another one at DE. Unless it was for a rediculous amount of picks. With emphasis on rediculous.

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM

If it takes 5 years to rebuild, then this fracnise is in a much worse shape then I can imagine. Marty and Carl rebuilt in 2 years, Vermeil did it in St. Louis in 3 years, Parcells has done it ove and over, including the then laughing stock Jets in 2 years.Jimmy Johnson did it in 2 years in Dallas. There is no reason why it should take the Chiefs 5 years.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
There is no reason why it should take the Chiefs 5 years.Yes, there is a reason, his name is Carl...

jidar
12-30-2007, 10:59 AM
worst idea ever.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2007, 11:07 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, I'd do it for a 2nd and a 4th, if we could draft Chris Long.

milkman
12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
worst idea ever.

No.

I believe the worst idea ever would be to give up a 4th round pick to hire Herman ****ing Edwards away from the Jets.

TEX
12-30-2007, 12:02 PM
No.

I believe the worst idea ever would be to give up a 4th round pick to hire Herman ****ing Edwards away from the Jets.

ROFL :clap:

Especially when they were going to fire his sorry ass.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
No.

A 1st for Trent Green the year before he would have become a free-agent. And why was that necessary? Because we needed Green to help install the system and teach C. Thomas and Snoop Minnis their routes. :banghead:

milkman
12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
A 1st for Trent Green the year before he would have become a free-agent. And why was that necessary? Because we needed Green to help install the system and teach C. Thomas and Snoop Minnis their routes. :banghead:

I thought about that.

I also thought about a second for Dick.

Both horrible ideas, IMO, then, and now.

But in the end, they simply couldn't compete with the Herman ****ing Edwards decision.

kcfanXIII
12-30-2007, 01:38 PM
stupid idea, stupid post. being a royals fan, i can tell you a reuild will take 10-15 years if you continue to trade your best players. jared allen is young, full of fire, and a team leader. YOU DO NOT TRADE YOUR BEST PLAYERS!!! not to mention, if we sign him, he's likely to have a huge signing bonus, making a trade very unlikely due to cap implications.

chagrin
12-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Vlad's just trying to stir shit, no way he believes this. Seriously, this is a silly, stupid idea and this thread shouldn't have lasted past page 1.

Mr. Laz
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
we should of traded Larry Johnson

we probably should of traded Gonzo

we should keep Jared Allen

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
As bad as we are (and we are terrible) it still shouldn't take 5 years to rebuild and, even if it did, Allen would still be playing at a high level. Trading Allen doesn't make sense on our end unless a ridiculous offer is made.

patteeu
12-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Here's an idea: Why don't we just add some good players to go with these other good players and have a good team next year. The whole it takes years to rebuild a team is hogwash. Todays NFL is set up to give every team a chance to be good every year. Adding the right players to waht we have can make us a much improved team in one year. And we shouldn't have to break the bank to do it.

philfree's rebuild strategy >>>> Dr. Doom's rebuild/unbuild strategy

milkman
12-30-2007, 02:06 PM
we should of traded Larry Johnson

we probably should of traded Gonzo

we should keep Jared Allen

I took a lot of shit for saying that we should trade Tony G a few years ago when he was in a contract/franchise tag year about 5 years ago.

patteeu
12-30-2007, 02:07 PM
If we drafted Chris Long, I would try to trade Tamba for at least 1 first rnd pick (higher than 20th). that would be an upgrade.

Jared and Chris Long tandem would be great.

I would be opposed to trading Jared Allen, but we cant trade TG or LJ due to their contracts. If we got 2 first rnd picks for Jared, and were able to get Chris Long, than i would at least consider it.

long's rookie contract would be cheaper than Jared's new contract, and the 2 first round picks we could get in a trade could allow us to upgrade other positions.

I would never trade JA for anything less than 1400pts pick value (i.e. 1400pts= 8th rnd pick=2 low first rounders).

Nobody is going to give anything close to a first round pick for Tamba Hali.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I took a lot of shit for saying that we should trade Tony G a few years ago when he was in a contract/franchise tag year about 5 years ago.
Who knew we would be so awful for these last 5 years?

el borracho
12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
What is our win/ loss record over the last 5 years, anyway?

RustShack
12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
We should trade away Hali, DJ, and Bowe too, they aren't rookies anymore, its time to rebuild. riiight :)

milkman
12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Who knew we would be so awful for these last 5 years?

Should I raise my hand?

FringeNC
12-30-2007, 02:10 PM
At the absolute worst the Chiefs will be ready to contend in 3 years.

And maybe as early as next season (depending how we handle the QB situation, Free Agency and the Draft).

Contend for what? A 9-7 record?

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2007, 02:12 PM
If we drafted Chris Long, I would try to trade Tamba for at least 1 first rnd pick (higher than 20th). that would be an upgrade.

Jared and Chris Long tandem would be great.

I would be opposed to trading Jared Allen, but we cant trade TG or LJ due to their contracts. If we got 2 first rnd picks for Jared, and were able to get Chris Long, than i would at least consider it.

long's rookie contract would be cheaper than Jared's new contract, and the 2 first round picks we could get in a trade could allow us to upgrade other positions.

I would never trade JA for anything less than 1400pts pick value (i.e. 1400pts= 8th rnd pick=2 low first rounders).2 1st rounders? You have to be retarded to NOT make the trade. If you trade him for a 2nd and 4th, you draft C. Long. You have 2 2nds to select a LT and a CB.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Should I raise my hand?
If you want to, you should (assuming doing so will have no negative impact on others).

el borracho
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Should I raise my hand?
Seriously, you knew in 2002 that the Chiefs would make the playoffs only twice (and lose both times) in the next 5 years? How could you have known such a thing?

milkman
12-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Seriously, you knew in 2002 that the Chiefs would make the playoffs only twice (and lose both times) in the next 5 years? How could you have known such a thing?

Did I know that, exactly?

No.

I did, however, say when the Chiefs hired Dick that he would never get the team to the SB, and that I had very little expectation for this team as long as he was the HC.

I had even more reservations about the team's prospects with Herman ****ing Edwards in charge.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I had hope with Vermeil but I have none with Edwards. Seriously, I have no idea why Peterson hired him as anything other than an interim coach. I certainly can't understand why we gave away a draft pick to get him.

ceebz
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Allen's just now hitting his prime and the Chiefs should trade him away?

Sheer genius.