PDA

View Full Version : America's 50 Most Loathesome People

irishjayhawk
12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
http://www.buffalobeast.com/122/50mostloathsome2007.html

My favorite:
9. You

Charges: You believe in freedom of speech, until someone says something that offends you. You suddenly give a damn about border integrity, because the automated voice system at your pharmacy asked you to press 9 for Spanish. You cling to every scrap of bullshit you can find to support your ludicrous belief system, and reject all empirical evidence to the contrary. You know the difference between patriotism and nationalism -- it's nationalism when foreigners do it. You hate anyone who seems smarter than you. You care more about zygotes than actual people. You love to blame people for their misfortunes, even if it means screwing yourself over. You still think Republicans favor limited government. Your knowledge of politics and government are dwarfed by your concern for Britney Spears' children. You think buying Chinese goods stimulates our economy. You think you're going to get universal health care. You tolerate the phrase "enhanced interrogation techniques." You think the government is actually trying to improve education. You think watching CNN makes you smarter. You think two parties is enough. You can't spell. You think $9 trillion in debt is manageable. You believe in an afterlife for the sole reason that you don't want to die. You think lowering taxes raises revenue. You think the economy's doing well. You're an idiot.

Exhibit A: You couldn't get enough Anna Nicole Smith coverage.

Sentence: A gradual decline into abject poverty as you continue to vote against your own self-interest. Death by an easily treated disorder that your health insurance doesn't cover. You deserve it, chump.

Most of the list is pretty interesting actually.

Taco John
12-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Boy that list is addictive... I just wanted to scan it, but kept getting sucked in, bit by bit...

Mr Luzcious
12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
I didn't realize Dick Cheney was the president.

wazu
12-30-2007, 09:19 AM
:shake:

28. The Troops

Charges: Rubes, the lot of 'em. Come back all fugly. They keep telling John McCain they want to win. They need so much support, it's clingy and sad. Matching outfits? Kind of gay.

Exhibit A: Too cheap to buy their own body armor.

Sentence: Walter Reed.

HolmeZz
12-30-2007, 09:34 AM
No Kotter?

banyon
12-30-2007, 10:07 AM
17. Hillary Clinton

Charges: Began in politics as a teenage Nixon supporter -- that's twisted. Moved on to corporate law, representing Wal-Mart and bravely defending Coca-Cola from disabled employees. Married out of ambition. Failed miserably as the first lady of health care. Has spent whole of senatorial career as a hawk and a panderer. Would have no shot at becoming president if she didn't just happen to be married to one already.

Exhibit A: Has deftly avoided the flip-flopper label -- by never, ever answering a question directly or committing to a position in the first place.

Sentence: Victim of vast right wing conspiracy to shove a brick up her ass.
___
pretty much sums up my view of her.

patteeu
12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
:shake:

28. The Troops

Charges: Rubes, the lot of 'em. Come back all fugly. They keep telling John McCain they want to win. They need so much support, it's clingy and sad. Matching outfits? Kind of gay.

Exhibit A: Too cheap to buy their own body armor.

Sentence: Walter Reed.

As wrong as it is for "The Troops" to appear on this list, I still laughed at the bolded part. Especially the part about matching outfits. LOL

patteeu
12-30-2007, 11:39 AM
2. Dick Cheney

Charges: Worst president ever. So openly horrible, he now makes jokes about being Darth Vader. Unashamedly advocating for executive abuse of power and corporate theft. In and out of public office since his congressional internship during the Nixon Administration. Didn't care about the quagmire he foresaw in '94, because since then he'd deftly maneuvered to profit from it. Polling lower than HPV.

Exhibit A: His Halliburton stock options rose 3000% in value from 2004-2005. No joke.

Punishment: Raped by the sun.

That's pretty excellent news for the charities those proceeds are pledged to.

The glaring omission on this list, IMO, is John "Jane Fonda" Murtha.

banyon
12-30-2007, 11:44 AM

The glaring omission on this list, IMO, is John "Jane Fonda" Murtha.

Yeah, I'm sure those folks will get every cent of that money and no financial benefit will accrue to Cheney. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he rejoins them immediately after he leaves office to the tune of a giant raise.

Easy 6
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM

I'd REALLY like to see some verifiable proof of Halliburtons charitable good will.

Who knew that war profiteering could be so cuddly???

Easy 6
12-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he rejoins them immediately after he leaves office to the tune of a giant raise.

I'd say thats a forgone conclusion.

patteeu
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I'm sure those folks will get every cent of that money and no financial benefit will accrue to Cheney. :rolleyes:

What makes you doubt it? Cheney signed an irrevocable "Gift Trust Agreement" before he took office according to factcheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/kerry_ad_falsely_accuses_cheney_on_halliburton.html).

That's a possibility of course, but I don't know why he wouldn't just retire and enjoy the rest of his life. He doesn't need the money or he wouldn't have selected himself to run as GWB's running mate.

HolmeZz
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
LEAVE DICK CHENEY ALONE

patteeu
12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I'd REALLY like to see some verifiable proof of Halliburtons charitable good will.

Who knew that war profiteering could be so cuddly???

It's not Halliburton's charitable good will, it's Dick Cheney's. See the link in my response to banyon for support of my claim. You can also google for the actual scanned document too. I don't remember if there's a link to it in the factcheck.org article, but I remember seeing it somewhere when this issue was being debated.

patteeu
12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
LEAVE DICK CHENEY ALONE

*applause* ;)

Bowser
12-30-2007, 12:53 PM

You mean the next Neo-Con to run for the White House.

banyon
12-30-2007, 01:01 PM
What makes you doubt it? Cheney signed an irrevocable "Gift Trust Agreement" before he took office according to factcheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/kerry_ad_falsely_accuses_cheney_on_halliburton.html).

After having read contracts for a couple of years since the last time I saw that agreement, I see several outs Cheney could avail himself of should he want to be a d*ck about it. In any event, it's not irrevocable. That word doesn't appearin the agreement anywhere. It's actually explicitly revocable.

That's a possibility of course, but I don't know why he wouldn't just retire and enjoy the rest of his life. He doesn't need the money or he wouldn't have selected himself to run as GWB's running mate.

None of these people need the money. That doesn't keep them from trying to grab as much as possible though.

Hydrae
12-30-2007, 01:10 PM

ROFL with tears in the eyes!

patteeu
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
After having read contracts for a couple of years since the last time I saw that agreement, I see several outs Cheney could avail himself of should he want to be a d*ck about it. In any event, it's not irrevocable. That word doesn't appearin the agreement anywhere. It's actually explicitly revocable.

I don't know what "outs" you have in mind, but the agreement does say it's irrevocable.

8. Miscellaneous

(e) This Agreement is irrevocable and may not be terminated, waived or amended, except that the parties may, by unanimous agreement in writing, make technical or clarifying amendments in order to more effectively carry out the purpose of this Agreement.

banyon
12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know what "outs" you have in mind, but the agreement does say it's irrevocable.

1st out. The "administrative agent" (blacked out) is Cheney. He can redistribute the proceeds to whomever he wishes (including Cheney) There might be some 3rd party beneficiaries (the charities) who could sue, but Cheney might already have other indemification agreements with them not to (particlarly since they are naming their wing of the hospital after him).

2nd out. Cheney accuses the administrative agent of breaching the agreement. Administrative agent is buddy of cheney's. After thirty day notice, the agreement is terminated. They are not required to sue each other and can settle it however they like.

There are others, but the Chiefs game is coming on (no, I have no idea why I am still watching :))

patteeu
12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
1st out. The "administrative agent" (blacked out) is Cheney. He can redistribute the proceeds to whomever he wishes (including Cheney) There might be some 3rd party beneficiaries (the charities) who could sue, but Cheney might already have other indemification agreements with them not to (particlarly since they are naming their wing of the hospital after him).

2nd out. Cheney accuses the administrative agent of breaching the agreement. Administrative agent is buddy of cheney's. After thirty day notice, the agreement is terminated. They are not required to sue each other and can settle it however they like.

There are others, but the Chiefs game is coming on (no, I have no idea why I am still watching :))

I'm skeptical about both of those outs.

I don't know whether Cheney can name himself the administrator or not under whatever statute is applicable, but I think it's pretty unlikely that he did given the length of the blacked out name. Even if he were allowed to name himself, he'd still have a fiduciary obligation to fulfill the agreement to donate the proceeds to the named charities.

I don't think the trust itself is terminated if he accuses the administration agent of a breach, I think the agreement with respect to that administration agent is terminated and a new agent must be named. It wouldn't make much sense to explicitly state that the agreement can't be terminated if it actually can be terminated so easily.

If this document were so obviously flawed, I'd think it would have been exposed as a sham by a hostile legal expert well before now. I've seen a lot of charges that Cheney stands to gain big from his Halliburton options in the blogoshere, but I've never seen anyone address the irrevocability/non-irrevocability of the Gift Trust directly (until you, of course).

If Cheney can get out of the trust and he does so in order to profit from these stock options, I'm sure it will be huge news and I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and I'll join the chorus of Cheney criticism at that time. Until that point, or until I see more convincing evidence that this trust is not sufficient to prevent Cheney from profiting from Halliburton's stock growth, I'll stick with factcheck.org's conclusion.

RP_McMurphy
12-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Was that list supposed to be funny?

Cochise
12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
:rolleyes: Alright, as soon as Cheney takes all that money back and gives it to himself, you just let us know.

cookster50
12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Is Carl Peterson on that list?