PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Chiefs, my heart or my mind?

58Forever
07-26-2001, 01:20 PM
As the season nears I start to reflect on what might be...

My mind tells me that the Chiefs have talent but they will have a new coach, new system, new QB, new RB (maybe), etc...so don't expect too much...

8-8 might be good...

My heart tells me, as it does every year, that these Chiefs are going to go to the playoffs. They are a better team than most will admit and the addition of a new coach, system, QB and RB will allow them to be in contentin again...

11-5 if I'm betting my heart

I'm going with my heart and hope it doesn't get mangled...

Gaz
07-26-2001, 01:26 PM
Until the first kickoff, The Engineer is firmly in control. He sees the holes in the team. The lack of a dominant DT. The choice of untested rookies or aged veteran at CB. The serious questions about the QBs knees. The brand new schemes on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. The tough competition in the AFC West.

The Engineer could go on and on. And will, if given the opportunity.

But when the ball is put into play, The Fan takes over. We are undefeated and just might run the table. The world is tinted Red and Gold. At that point, we are Super Bowl bound, baby!

xoxo~
Gaz
Slowly getting pumped.

58Forever
07-26-2001, 01:30 PM
Must be a ***** to be an engineer...:)

It's funny how objective we can be up till the moment of the first kick off...at that point, well let's just say that objectivity is no longer a word in my vocabulary.

HC_Chief
07-26-2001, 01:49 PM
We had good personnel last season, but they were hampered by horrible coaching (primarily at the level of coordinator).

We dump a couple of weak players: Chester (offsides), Bennett (injuries/distraction from better RBs), Anders (distraction from better RBs)

We cut a couple solid vets: Grunny (replaced by younger, more mobile C), Hasty (replaced by Crockett - don't like this move...)

We let our QB go: Elvis played very well last season, but still lacked leadership & had a couple meltdowns (NE game, 'injured finger' incident - sitting out a division road game; leading to our most embarassing loss in a decade)

We replace the Stooges with a competent staff - MAJOR improvement(s) inherrant to this move

We bring in Trent Green - Improvement: he has the same physical skills as Grbac, but with a brain... and charisma. This guy will be adored in KC

We bring in Priest Holmes to start at RB: MAJOR improvement. Holmes is a fast, elusive back that can run and catch. By featuring a back, the committee philosophy is left by the wayside - and antiquated failure of an offense(poor Skins fans...)

Biggest Question Marks: how long 'till the team gels? Will the DT rotation be effective?(couldn't be any <i>less</i> effective than Chet) Will the younger CBs be able to win the starting job over burnt-toast Crockett?

If we gel quickly, if the DT rotation can successfully stuff the run and help apply pressure, if our young, athletic CBs can beat-out the old vet, we'll be a team that shocks the league! If not, we'll be competitive - but hovering around .500 for the season.

ck_IN
07-26-2001, 03:16 PM
58Forever, I kinda sucks to be a DBA too. I share the same conundrum as Gaz. I bleed Royal blue in the summer and Chiefs red in the fall.

Alas, my mind usually wins, hence my 6-10 predictions. I hope I'm wrong and the fan is right, but I'm not brave enough to predict it.;)

kcfan
07-27-2001, 07:54 AM
My heart tells me the Chiefs will not make the playoffs but I am a dreamer and refuse to believe they will finish dead last in the division as predicted. I can't see Seattle and Saqn Diego doing better than us. Their defenses might be a little better but we should have a way better offense.

ChiTown
07-27-2001, 10:31 AM
We talk a lot about the term "geling as a team". I think the bigger concern is "do we have the components to be a team".

Let's look:
1. Coaching - yes. Expereinced, qualified and proven winners
2. QB - no. No proven experience with the starter. No steady track record. Shaky, at best, backups
3. RB's - maybe. TR is the only proven commodity in KC. While we all hope for the best in the Priest, he is smallish and has yet to do it for more than 1 season.
4. WR/TE - yes, for now. Best TE in the league, veteren & proven WR in DA, but we are one injury from being as thin as paper at that position. Need the young guys to step up
5. OL - maybe. Very concerned with the interior of the line (sans Shields). Anytime you have a new center, it makes life interesting. Tackles should be OK.
6. DL - maybe. Solid at DE, but we are shallow at DT. There has yet to be a significant contributor at DT since Dan Saleamua left, IMO.
7. LB - maybe. Depends on our younger guys, and how well Patton and Bush bounce back from unspectaacular years.
8. DB's - no. Not enough proven talent our veteran leadership. Will be our achilles heel in 2001, IMO
9. ST's - no. New punter, should do OK, but you never know. PK'ing is a joke and will be until we can find someone to hit a +40yder under pressure, and can put one consistently past the 10yd line on kickoffs.
10. Intanbgibles - no. New system, new QB, new coaching, lack of defensive veteran leadership all spells trouble.

Given the above, I predict 6-10. That's generous at this time, given all of the holes that we must fill. However, I have never been more optimistic about this team's future, because for the first time in years, we will have the right coaching in place, and the proper focus to get the players needed to compete. That I have my undying support, no matter what.

ck_IN
07-27-2001, 11:11 AM
All I can say Chitown is 'ditto'.

This is going to be a 'character building' year for the Chiefs and their fans. I hope each is up to the experience.

Brock
07-27-2001, 01:42 PM
Looking at the schedule, I'd say 8-8 would be a great achievement.

milkman
07-27-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ck_IN
All I can say Chitown is 'ditto'.

This is going to be a 'character building' year for the Chiefs and their fans. I hope each is up to the experience.

After the last 2 years of character building, if the new coaching staff gives us sound gameplanning, playcalling, and decision making, then, record notwithstanding, the team will be improved, and the future will be brighter.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-27-2001, 02:04 PM
My heart and my mind tell me this is going to be a great year.

CG

thats right

BroncoFan
07-27-2001, 11:58 PM
you all suck! you all KNOW this year is going to be the same crap you deal with every ****ing season. "mind or my hear", your all so gay!

Chiefs Pantalones
07-28-2001, 12:02 AM
Are you talking, BroncoFan?

PunkinDrublic
07-28-2001, 02:26 AM
I have to be honest, I think it's going to be a tough year because the team is going to have to get used to a new system and a lot of new players but in the end it will benefit the team for the future we just have to have patience.

Oxford
07-28-2001, 07:55 AM
Parity (mediocrity) reigns in the NFL. 8-8 I think. But let's face it, a large part of any team is the "want". Vermeil has sent a message with the "cap cuts" and "if they don't want to work" lines. Marty's success was based on the team playing smart and hard. I think that philosophy is back. Will there be a player that excells in a new system that never got a chance before, maybe. I still think that the majority of this offense is going to based on the run. That's where the offensive strength lies for now, but they will be more diverse than before.

milkman
07-28-2001, 08:14 AM
Marty's teams didn't play smart, they played scared.
The play calling wasn't designed to win (smart), it was designed to avoid losing (scared).
Thank God that cowardly act is in DC now.