PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Church training hundreds of new exorcists

Douche Baggins
12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/vatican-to-train-more-exorcists/2007/12/30/1198949675461.html

ROME: The Catholic Church has vowed to "fight the Devil head-on" by training hundreds of priests as exorcists.

Father Gabriele Amorth, 82, the Exorcist in Chief, announced the initiative amid church concerns about growing worldwide interest in Satanism and the occult.

Under plans being considered, each bishop would have a group of priests in his diocese who were specially trained in exorcism and on hand to take action against "extreme Godlessness".

"Thanks be to God that we have a Pope who has decided to fight the Devil head-on," Father Amorth said.

"Now bishops are to be obliged to have a number of established exorcists for their diocese. Too many bishops are not taking this seriously and are not delegating their priests in the fight against the Devil. You have to hunt high and low for a proper, trained exorcist.

"Thankfully Pope Benedict XVI believes in the existence and danger of evil, from the time he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith."

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith deals with promoting and safeguarding Catholic beliefs. It was headed by the Pope when he was Cardinal Ratzinger, from 1982 until his election as Pope in 2005.

The Vatican is concerned that young people are being exposed to Satanism through the media, rock music and the internet.

All priests can perform exorcisms, but in reality only a select few are ever called on to do so. The rite involves gestures and prayers to invoke the power of God and stop the "demon" influencing its victim.

Let the light of our LORD JESUS shine through every human and cast out the demons!!!

BCD
12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Can we get one to exercise the demon from Arrowhead?

Bowser
12-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Demons OUT!!!

memyselfI
12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Can we get one to exercise the demon from Arrowhead?

Demons at the Vatican vs. One Arrowhead Drive. Tough call. :hmmm:

scott free
12-30-2007, 09:59 AM
The Catholics seem to be just about the only religion that takes this seriously, i say "hats off".

I believe in God & Jesus...& since their is no light without darkness Satan is a very real entity as far as i'm concerned.

I forget his name, but one of the Priests involved in the "The Excorcist" is still alive. I've seen several interviews with him & he always come off as very sane & reasonable.

The wing of the Alexian Brothers compound in St. Louis where much of "The Excorcist" story unfolded, is still boarded up to this day. I was able to see it a few years ago & it still has a very creepy aura to it.

Scoff away everyone, i really dont care.

BCD
12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
The Catholics seem to be just about the only religion that takes this seriously, i say "hats off".

I believe in God & Jesus...& since their is no light without darkness Satan, aka, Carl Peterson, is a very real entity as far as i'm concerned.

I forget his name, but one of the Priests involved in the "The Excorcist" is still alive. I've seen several interviews with him & he always come off as very sane & reasonable.

The wing of the Alexian Brothers compound in St. Louis where much of "The Excorcist" story unfolded, is still boarded up to this day. I was able to see it a few years ago & it still has a very creepy aura to it.

Scoff away everyone, i really dont care.FYP

jidar
12-30-2007, 10:03 AM
lol. retarded

Uncle_Ted
12-30-2007, 10:08 AM
It's about time they stepped up their efforts. One thing I've always hated about this town ... all the damned vampires.

Saulbadguy
12-30-2007, 10:11 AM
If Islam is the religion of peace, Catholicism must be the religion of retardation.

alnorth
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Sure, that may work against demons, but they are being very short-sighted here. What are we going to do about werewolves and zombies, hmm?

Wait... they forgot about witches. My God, they forgot about the witches! We are doomed! :(

kcfanXIII
12-30-2007, 10:53 AM
"the power of christ compels you!
the power of christ compels you!"

Spicy McHaggis
12-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I think it would be way cooler to start training Ghostbusters.

Dave Lane
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM

I believe in God & Jesus...& since their is no light without darkness Satan is a very real entity as far as i'm concerned.

Scoff away everyone, i really dont care.

Hell I'd worship Satan or demons for that matter if they existed. Sadly they don't but its a fun thought to have lightening bolts shoot out of my eyes :)

Dave

irishjayhawk
12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it would be way cooler to start training Ghostbusters.

It's the theme song of the Ghostbusters.
No it's not.
Umm, yeah, it is.

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 11:21 AM
If Islam is the religion of peace, Catholicism must be the religion of retardation.
Aren't you getting that backwards? "Religion of peace" is really a misnomer, therefore Catholicism would be the "Religion of high intelligence" or something else equally wrong.

scott free
12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I've never been one to do much preaching here (i "generally" TRY to state my opinion & move on), mainly because i'm not exactly living the greatest Christian life lately.

But its a definite letdown to see just how many people here are willing to trash the very idea & totally demean those who do believe.

I really & truly would never have guessed that midwestern (& elsewhere) football fans could be so arrogant & cynical about it all.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I've never been one to do much preaching here (i "generally" TRY to state my opinion & move on), mainly because i'm not exactly living the greatest Christian life lately.

But its a definite letdown to see just how many people here are willing to trash the very idea & totally demean those who do believe.

I really & truly would never have guessed that midwestern (& elsewhere) football fans could be so arrogant & cynical about it all.

So you truly beieve in demonic possession, and that it is a big enough problem to warrant the Vatican to spend, time, money, and resources on it?

irishjayhawk
12-30-2007, 11:50 AM
So you truly beieve in demonic possession, and that it is a big enough problem to warrant the Vatican to spend, time, money, and resources on it?

Why not? A human rose from the dead. :)

scott free
12-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Yes, i do.

I dont follow Popes, but they've been in the "religion game" for a long time...if they think its needed, who am i to argue???

Douche Baggins
12-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm thinking they need to send one of these dudes KCJohnny's way.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, i do.

I dont follow Popes, but they've been in the "religion game" for a long time...if they think its needed, who am i to argue???

Interesting. I guess my problem with this line of thinking is having blind faith in something I view as straight out of mythology.

Don't take any of these comments personally, Scott. If the way you believe helps you get through the day, what does it matter what the rest of us say?

Iowanian
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Nothing like a good Sunday Catholic Bash, eh.

scott free
12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Interesting. I guess my problem with this line of thinking is having blind faith in something I view as straight out of mythology.

Don't take any of these comments personally, Scott. If the way you believe helps you get through the day, what does it matter what the rest of us say?

I've been where your at in my life before, absolutely chock full of doubt.

Its impossible to describe what makes "faith" or how one comes by it, but once you find it...its usually for keeps.

I had a deeply moving personal experience (healed of a medical condition) during my most doubtful time, its impossible for me to deny that.

Theres a time & place for God to speak to everyone IMO, maybe yours just hasnt happened yet... :shrug: .

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Nothing like a good Sunday Catholic Bash, eh.
Butt hurt again?

Saulbadguy
12-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Cry about it. I'd say this board is fairly equal opportunity when it comes to religion bashing.

Iowanian
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Butt hurt again?

Not so much.

Wasting time bashing something you don't believe in anway?

memyselfI
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM

I'm willing to trash this particular religion because I'm a recovered Catholic.

If the Catholic Church wants to be taken seriously or considered anything other than an obnoxious and dangerous cult then it needs to stop doing what this very article describes.

scott free
12-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Cry about it. I'd say this board is fairly equal opportunity when it comes to religion bashing.

Heres a special heartfelt message just for you Double Penetration...go f#ck yourself.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
How archaic.

Discuss Thrower
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, at least they are spending money on something than adding ornate decorations to churches or settlement money for pedo-priests.

Pitt Gorilla
12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
if they think its needed, who am i to argue???Ostensibly, you're a sentient being.

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Ostensibly, you're a sentient being.
Prove it.

Demonpenz
12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
that damn rock music

scott free
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Prove it.

Who woulda guessed that it would be you who popped up in this thread to be a raging, arrogant asshole...one of the very worst here.

Dave Lane
Heres a special heartfelt message just for you Double Penetration...go f#ck yourself.

How xtian of you :)

Dave

el borracho
Yes, i do.

Seemingly, a member of their constituency who should have a direct interest in the performance of their job and, beyond that, you are an independent being with the capacity to reason and evaluate.

BWillie
12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Who cares. I like catholism. Don't believe in it, but I like it nonetheless. This religion produces alot of horny hot chicks. Catholics tend to sin more than other die hard religious people. It's great. Seems like I'm attracted to catholic chicks, before I even know they are catholic. Perhaps I need to be exorcized

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Who woulda guessed that it would be you who popped up in this thread to be a raging, arrogant asshole...one of the very worst here.
ROFL

I've added two comments to other people's comments and I'm the biggest asshole in here? I'll own it, but I think you're a bit misguided.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the pope doesn't think I'm the biggest asshole in this thread, so I must not be.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Who cares. I like catholism. Don't believe in it, but I like it nonetheless. This religion produces alot of horny hot chicks. Catholics tend to sin more than other die hard religious people. It's great. Seems like I'm attracted to catholic chicks, before I even know they are catholic. Perhaps I need to be exorcized

LMAO

scott free
12-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Seemingly, a member of their constituency who should have a direct interest in the performance of their job and, beyond that, you are an independent being with the capacity to reason and evaluate.

I'm not a Catholic, they're not spending my $$$ & i'm not here to judge their actions.

But i have already said that i think its a good thing, if your looking for some kind of stance on the issue.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:04 PM
It is human nature to evaluate, classify, characterize and, yes, even judge things of this world. All of us by nature should have some view of one of the most successful religions of all time.

scott free
12-30-2007, 01:10 PM
It is human nature to evaluate, classify, characterize and, yes, even judge things of this world. All of us by nature should have some view of one of the most successful religions of all time.

Catholicism has lost its way to a large extent IMO, the pedophile priest thing is beyond rampant...its an epidemic.

But i also have no doubt that there are many, many good hearted & devout members of that faith who are doing their level best to redeem it.

Does that cover it for you???

Frazod
12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Any particular reason this piece of shit hasn't been moved to DC/HL yet?

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Any particular reason this piece of shit hasn't been moved to DC/HL yet?
We tend to play it fast and loose in the offseason. ;)

Dave Lane
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
ROFL

I've added two comments to other people's comments and I'm the biggest asshole in here? I'll own it, but I think you're a bit misguided.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the pope doesn't think I'm the biggest asshole in this thread, so I must not be.

Hey I offered to worship satan doesn't that count for something?

Dave

~Jeez what you have to do to be the worst in thread guy anymore...

MichaelH
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
The must have run out of alter boys.

Demonpenz
12-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I love how it is open season here on catholics but if you say one bad thing about islam you get scolded and almost banded

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I love how it is open season here on catholics but if you say one bad thing about islam you get scolded and almost banded
:spock:

Marcellus
12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Most people who bash Catholics know little about the religion and only regurgitate stereotypes and other crap that are not true as a whole but are spewed as "truths" by Catholic haters.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Most people who bash Catholics know little about the religion and only regurgitate stereotypes and other crap that are not true as a whole but are spewed as "truths" by Catholic haters.

Such as?

Demonpenz
12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Such as?

I think the stereotype is catholics are arrogant, believe that their way is the only way to heaven, ususally have money, and are bad at being good people because they can just confess their sins. then there is the whole priest alter boys dealie. I was raised catholic it makes me nausous to see thousands of dollars for elaborate stuff in the church when it should be going to poor or to kids. That has always been my main beef with churches. I also hate the people there to be seen and to gossip about other people. I understand that is all people over 40 live for but still it pisses me off sometimes.

Marcellus
12-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I think the stereotype is catholics are arrogant, believe that their way is the only way to heaven, ususally have money, and are bad at being good people because they can just confess their sins. .

This is one of my personel pet peeves when it comes to the stereotyping.

Catholics do not believe they can sin then just go to confession and everything is fine. Just like in any other Christian religion sin can be forgiven but you have to believe it was wrong to commit the sin and have true intentions to not commit the sins again.

Don't all Chrisitians believe that sin can be forgiven by asking GOD for forgiveness?

Before any one jumps on me I will admit I do not go to church anymore but it has nothing to do with the church. If I start attending church again it will be a Catholic church.

I also do not believe the Catholic religion is for everybody or it superior. All christian religions are based on the same basic faiths.

mikey23545
12-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Exactly!

Just like every pot-bellied, stoned, half-drunk asshole on this board thinks they know more about football than Herm or Carl, you should presume to know more about religion than the Pope.

Braincase
12-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Time to move this thread to DC. Mods?

Lonewolf Ed
12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Time to move this thread to DC. Mods?

The power of Christ compels you!!

el borracho
12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
No, they are retarded, too. All of the ancient voodoos deserve criticism.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I am familiar with enough biblical stories to know that they are as real as Aesop's fables, Greek mythology and/ or the Hale Bop Comet people. They are nice stories with good messages but they are just stories. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks the bible is an accurate, historical document are is just deluded.

Mr. Laz
12-30-2007, 11:43 PM
so all these new exorcist will be able to keep the altar boys safe?

el borracho
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
This is one of my personel pet peeves when it comes to the stereotyping.

Catholics do not believe they can sin then just go to confession and everything is fine.
I'm not sure how it is now, but that used to be the way it worked. Read Don Juan de Tenorio (or any other literature from the middle ages to the 20th century) and you will see- one can be like the devil himself for an entire life and simply ask forgiveness at the last and still go to heaven. It happens again and again in medieval literature.

irishjayhawk
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM

So what do you say to someone who does know a lot about the religion?

SLAG
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Check out this interview from the Fox Station in Saint Louis Its an interview with Father Jose Antonio Fortea of Madrid, Spain who is considered a leading authority on exorcism. He is one of the Top Instructors sent to teach priests

Here is a Link to the Fox Interview:

http://tinyurl.com/2td3yd

Then here are the Video's from the FOX interviewers Personal Blog about his interview with the priest

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZZNqoalRHw&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZZNqoalRHw&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV2IM3ax_Kk&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV2IM3ax_Kk&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

I have a copy of the updated Exorcisim Ritual in Latin sitting on my desk, in the appendix there are some prayers the Regular Lay people can pray during an exorcism, but the old roman ritual is still recommended by most exorcists

Iowanian
12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Catholicism has lost its way to a large extent IMO, the pedophile priest thing is beyond rampant...its an epidemic.

But i also have no doubt that there are many, many good hearted & devout members of that faith who are doing their level best to redeem it.

Does that cover it for you???

You DO realize that the majority of the news relating to peophiles in the church are mostly 20-60 years ago, don't you?

Its a shameful thing for Catholics, but its a mess that is finally being cleaned up.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Check out this interview from the Fox Station in Saint Louis Its an interview with Father Jose Antonio Fortea of Madrid, Spain who is considered a leading authority on exorcism. He is one of the Top Instructors sent to teach priests

Here is a Link to the Fox Interview:

http://tinyurl.com/2td3yd

Then here are the Video's from the FOX interviewers Personal Blog about his interview with the priest

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZZNqoalRHw&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZZNqoalRHw&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV2IM3ax_Kk&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SV2IM3ax_Kk&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

I have a copy of the updated Exorcisim Ritual in Latin sitting on my desk, in the appendix there are some prayers the Regular Lay people can pray during an exorcism, but the old roman ritual is still recommended by most exorcists
Finally, this is the comedy i've been waiting for this thread to deliver.

Iowanian
12-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Grimmace,

I think the coffee filter is pulled a little to tight on your head.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Grimmace,

I think the coffee filter is pulled a little to tight on your head.
Do you have an exorcism manual like SLAG does? Are you prepared to fight the devil, head on?

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 09:37 AM
That's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a long time.

What's next? Anti-Goblin patrols at regular intervals?

Iowanian
12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Do you have an exorcism manual like SLAG does? Are you prepared to fight the devil, head on?

No....I put her on Iggy about 6 months ago.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 10:14 AM
No....I put her on Iggy about 6 months ago.
SLAG, or the devil?

patteeu
12-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm willing to trash this particular religion because I'm a recovered Catholic.

If the Catholic Church wants to be taken seriously or considered anything other than an obnoxious and dangerous cult then it needs to stop doing what this very article describes.

One successful exorcism in the books. Go Pope!

Chief Henry
12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
This thread is one big circle jerk off for many of you.

Catholic Bashing 101 by the Chiefs Planet.

irishjayhawk
12-31-2007, 10:55 AM
This thread is one big circle jerk off for many of you.

Catholic Bashing 101 by the Chiefs Planet.

Is the bashing unwarranted?

Cochise
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I have to wonder about the RCC and the main reason for that is the priest scandals.

We could argue theology for the next thousand years, and indeed that's happened in the last thousand. But look where the rubber meets the road - if you have a Christian denomination where due to their actions, the true conversion of even the clergy is in question... man, that's a big red flag. Aren't you supposed to know them by their fruits? What hope is there for the flock if many of them have a shepherd who is blind?

I have lots of respect for what the RCC has done, historically, and the purpose they serve in other parts of the world in humanitarian and spiritual capacities and all of that. And I know those people are well in the minority. But, you have to wonder why that's happening. It seems like too much of a pattern for there to not be some common thread.

el borracho
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
But, you have to wonder why that's happening. It seems like too much of a pattern for there to not be some common thread.
The rules of the church ask priests to live an unnatural life. Humans are very sexual animals. How could any man, priest or other, deprive himself of sex for his entire life and not go slightly mental?

Cochise
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
The rules of the church ask priests to live an unnatural life. Humans are very sexual animals. How could any man, priest or other, deprive himself of sex for his entire life and not go slightly mental?

It's not like it's impossible for someone to go without sexual relations with another person without turning into some slavering pedophile.

I don't agree with them that clergy need to be celibate, but that's no excuse.

NewChief
12-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I had wondered what the current view of the RC church was on demons and the like after watching the show Paranormal State (freaky show if you haven't seen it, though I question the authenticity of a lot of the footage). On it, they often have a priest assisting them with their exorcisms and investigations.

el borracho
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
It's not like it's impossible for someone to go without sexual relations with another person without turning into some slavering pedophile.

I don't agree with them that clergy need to be celibate, but that's no excuse.
Oh, I wasn't attempting to excuse it but rather explain it. Sexual drive is very powerful in humans; we don't even have a mating season like other animals so it really isn't surprising that these guys are going to have sex with someone or something. Kids just happen to be the easiest target because of proximity, trust and naievety (sp?).

Cochise
12-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh, I wasn't attempting to excuse it but rather explain it. Sexual drive is very powerful in humans; we don't even have a mating season like other animals so it really isn't surprising that these guys are going to have sex with someone or something. Kids just happen to be the easiest target because of proximity, trust and naievety (sp?).

There is no reasonable explanation or excuse for molesting a child. I don't care who you are or what your circumstances are. There are many people in the United States who are not getting any satisfaction who don't turn into deviants and degenerates like that. He can go to the next town and rent a movie or buy a skin mag or just stay home and take care of himself.

el borracho
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
You do understand that I am not excusing this behavior, right? There is no excuse and, if you want to know, I think convicted child molesters should be put to death. But there certainly has to be an explanation.

I agree that the world would be better served if these priests would simply buy a magazine and beat off but that isn't what's been happening. IMO, depriving themselves of normal outlets like women and masturbation is what leads to this deviant behavior. IMO, it is important to understand why they are acting this way so that something could be done to correct the problem. I am absolutely not excusing their behavior.

Chief Henry
12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Is the bashing unwarranted?

yes

crazycoffey
12-31-2007, 12:07 PM

How about them Pagans? I hear they run the Radio industry tighter than the Jews run Holleywood....

crazycoffey
12-31-2007, 12:08 PM
One successful exorcism in the books. Go Pope!

ROFL
That's great...

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 12:10 PM
yes
ROFL

irishjayhawk
12-31-2007, 12:11 PM
yes

Do explain.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
:hmmm:

The Scientologists call this process "Auditing", and it's apparently OK to mock them.

Other groups call the same thing "Exorcism", but it's not?

Regardless of dogmatic labels, both are blaming evil invisible entities for people's problems.

I suppose we should just be happy someone is fighting against Negative Thetans/Demons/Bad Juju/etc. :shake:

Jenson71
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I am familiar with enough biblical stories to know that they are as real as Aesop's fables, Greek mythology and/ or the Hale Bop Comet people. They are nice stories with good messages but they are just stories. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks the bible is an accurate, historical document are is just deluded.

What are "just stories"? You seem to be saying that the bible is entirely fictional. Are you generalizing or is that your statement?

Are you claiming the Bible is not a historical document?

el borracho
12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
The bible makes reference to some historical facts but includes fiction, as well, just like Greek and Roman mythologies.

SLAG
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
You do understand that I am not excusing this behavior, right? There is no excuse and, if you want to know, I think convicted child molesters should be put to death. But there certainly has to be an explanation.

I agree that the world would be better served if these priests would simply buy a magazine and beat off but that isn't what's been happening. IMO, depriving themselves of normal outlets like women and masturbation is what leads to this deviant behavior. IMO, it is important to understand why they are acting this way so that something could be done to correct the problem. I am absolutely not excusing their behavior.

I know we agreed not to respond to eachother but heres the deal with the pedophiles acting as priests

The main line is that it is NOT the priests lifestyle of celibacy that "drives" them to seek an sexual outlet, rather it is persons whom are pedophiles have intentionally sought out haven in the seminarys.

these pedophiles were gravely disordered before even becoming a priest, they were aware of the kind of access to children they could be given and deceived the church to get there.

I can not excuse any of these actions, all I do know is that the Catholic church is ridding itself of all those that harm the innocent.

Jenson71
12-31-2007, 05:10 PM
The bible makes reference to some historical facts but includes fiction, as well, just like Greek and Roman mythologies.

That kind of covers all the bases doesn't it? It's a little different than saying "The bible is complete fiction." It's also different than saying "The bible is just as real as Greek mythology."

When you say "I know the bible stories are as real as Aesop's fables and Greek mythology," it's different than saying "There are references to some historical facts but includes fiction."

And how much is "some historical facts"? Have you counted the references to the historical facts? How many are there? Over 100? Over 1000? And how much is fiction? Is there just as much a percentage of fiction as there is in Greek and Roman mythology? Or are these just the stories you are familiar enough with enough to decide they are fiction? For instance, perhaps you know two stories. 1.) Cain and Abel and 2.) the story of the creation. You decide they are fiction. Does this mean that the Bible is fiction? Does this mean that the Old Testament is fiction? Does it mean anything to the New Testament's historicity?

I think some of the Bible is accurate. Am I deluded? At what point does delusion take over? When you believe in Noah? When you believe there was a man named Jesus?

el borracho
12-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Listen, all mythologies were religions at one time and christianity is no different. As far as I can tell the bible is far more fiction than fact but I wouldn't care to put percentages to it.

Tell me which parts you think are accurate and I'll tell you if you are deluded or not. Some guy built a boat and harbored all the animals of the world during a 40 day storm set on the world by an angry god? That is ridiculous. A man named Jesus? Sure, why not? The son of god sent by god himself as sacrifice to god? Fiction.

scott free
12-31-2007, 05:56 PM
ROFL

I often wonder where your "its all fair game" attitude will be when people here start in on Judaism.

Are you prepared to be mocked & ridiculed for what YOU believe???

BucEyedPea
12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
It seems like too much of a pattern for there to not be some common thread.

Wow! 2% of the entire RC priesthood. Some pattern! This about the same for every other denomination but only the RCC gets all the press. I see a pattern here on the reporting and bashing. On the other hand it's 13% for teachers per the APA. Nope, this is classic prejudice toward a particular faith.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
I often wonder where your "its all fair game" attitude will be when people here start in on Judaism.

I've been "mocked and ridiculed" and even "damned" by some folks for what I believe. Bravo Foxtrot Delta.

Do I mock Exorcism? Sure. Why? Same reason I mock "Auditing" by the Scientology folks. I find it utterly absurd, and see no difference between the two practices.

All superstitions are the same to me. Fire away at my unbelief, if it will make you happy. Happy New Year. :shrug:

scott free
12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
All superstitions are equal in my eyes. Fire away, if it will make YOU happy. :shrug:

Thats just it, it WOULDNT make me happy...i try to respect others religious views. Have i ever said that you were "dumb" or "backwards" or "flat-out ignorant" because of your atheism???...thats right, i havent. Thats why i take such umbrage when others do exactly that to me & the other Christians here.

My point was for Saul, who seemingly never passes up a chance to slam somebody else' beliefs. I just wonder how he'd react when/if Judaism comes under the Planets harsh & hateful lens.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Thats just it, it WOULDNT make me happy...i try to respect others religious views. Have i ever said that you were "dumb" or "backwards" or "flat-out ignorant" because of your atheism???...thats right, i havent. Thats why i take such umbrage when others do exactly that to me & the other Christians here.

My point was for Saul, who seemingly never passes up a chance to slam somebody else' beliefs. I just wonder how he'd react when/if Judaism comes under the Planets harsh & hateful lens.

I see no reason I should have to refrain from stating I find the notion of evil invisible entities being responsible for human suffering utterly silly.

Out of curiousity...do you have a problem with people mocking Scientology and their process of "Auditing"? It's the same thing by a different name, but I never noticed you jumping to their defense when people call them "kooks". :shrug:

Another person might believe that it's perfectly fine to steal a laptop because someone left it unattended. Someone else may decide that the Biblical story of Lot and his Daughters means it's OK for them to get down with their own offspring. Why should I forfeit my right to criticize or comment on their behavior simply because they hold a contrary belief?

FWIW, my upbringing was Jewish and it wouldn't bother me in the least.

scott free
12-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I see no reason I should have to refrain from stating I find the notion of evil invisible entities being responsible for human suffering utterly silly.

Its a free country AH & the Planet is even more free yet when it comes to hammering those with religious beliefs.

As for myself, i'm going to continue to try & show a little respect to fellow Planeteers religious beliefs, whether i agree with them or not.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Its a free country AH & the Planet is even more free yet when it comes to hammering those with religious beliefs.

As for myself, i'm going to continue to try & show a little respect to fellow Planeteers religious beliefs, whether i agree with them or not.

Fine by me, but I couldn't help noticing you avoided two simple questions.

Out of curiousity...do you have a problem with people mocking Scientology and their process of "Auditing"? It's the same thing by a different name, but I never noticed you jumping to their defense when people call them "kooks". :shrug:

Another person might believe that it's perfectly fine to steal a laptop because someone left it unattended. Someone else may decide that the Biblical story of Lot and his Daughters means it's OK for them to get down (lets say consensually) with their own offspring. Why should I forfeit my right to criticize or comment on their behavior simply because they hold a contrary belief?

(Apologies for the ick factor of the second example)

scott free
12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Fine by me, but I couldn't help noticing you avoided a very direct question.

Without going into a 3 hour argument about it, no, i will never give scientology even one ounce of respect.

The main religions of this world have been tested by thousands of years & yet remain as vibrant as ever.

Its going to take more than 30-40 some years for the rantings of a failed science fiction writer to hold up & be deemed legit.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Without going into a 3 hour argument about it, no, i will never give scientology even one ounce of respect.

The main religions of this world have been tested by thousands of years & yet remain as vibrant as ever.

Its going to take more than 30-40 some years for the rantings of a failed science fiction writer to hold up & be deemed legit.

Got it. So it's OK to mock some people's beliefs, but not others.

Do you have a handy list? Does Taoism make the cut? How about Mithraism or Shinto? Hellenic Revivalism, worship of Isis, or Zoroastrianism? All those faiths have been around for "thousands of years" too. Don't forget those nice Discordians...nah...that's probably too new a faith to be worthy of "respect".

Or are they not "vibrant" enough? If that makes them "not legit" I really have to wonder about this notion of reducing the assessment of a religions "legitimacy" to a mere popularity contest (numbers of believers).

Thank you for (unintentionally) supporting my point. Silliness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I'll stick with Mel Brooks approach. Mock everything and everyone, especially myself. :D

scott free
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Got it. So it's OK to mock some people's beliefs, but not others.

Do you have a handy list? Does Taoism make the cut? How about Mithraism? Hellenic Revivalism, worship of Anubis or Zoroastrianism? All those faiths have been around for "thousands of years" too. Don't forget those nice Discordians...nah...that's probably too new a faith to be worthy of "respect". :shrug:

Thank you for (unintentionally) supporting my point. Silliness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Not knowing much about most of those, i probably wouldnt give much credence to most of them, although Taoism does have long standing & deep roots.

If a devotee of mithraism came here & espoused his views i'm not going to call him out & degrade him just so i can get a few jollies at his expense.

But you go right ahead & expose my supposed dark double standard, you can paint me into any corner you like...but it will only be in your own mind.

Adept Havelock
12-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Not knowing much about most of those, i probably wouldnt give much credence to most of them, although Taoism does have long standing & deep roots.

If a devotee of Mithraism came here & espoused his views i'm not going to call him out & degrade him just so i can get a few jollies at his expense.

But you go right ahead & expose my supposed dark double standard, you can paint me into any corner you like...but it will only be in your own mind.

Believe whatever you want, it's a free country.

I do find it interesting that you were all about defending faith being mocked...except in the cases when you decide their faith is not "legitimate". I'm a little amused you are so defensive about that apparent double standard, but each to their own.

I'm far more comfortable with a consistent position (it's all mockable, including my own beliefs), but thats JMO. :shrug:

Douche Baggins
12-31-2007, 07:04 PM
How could any man, priest or other, deprive himself of sex for his entire life and not go slightly mental?

LIVING PROOF!

go bowe
12-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Hell I'd worship Satan or demons for that matter if they existed. Sadly they don't but its a fun thought to have lightening bolts shoot out of my eyes :)

Davealright, dabe...

don't be so quick there...

it's lightening shooting out of your ass that you realy wanna watch out for...

besides i just don't believe you'd actually "worship" anybody, anything, or any combination of the two... :) :) :)

el borracho
12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
LIVING PROOF!
yeah, but you beat it. Many of these religious kooks think that beating off is a sin.

irishjayhawk
12-31-2007, 10:29 PM

You have to me numerous occasions. I don't hold the live and let live or tolerance perspectives - with respect to religion - because all religions don't hold them either - they just claim victim to them. Look at Christianity's history. Did they let people live and let live? Do they still? Absolutely not. Neither does Islam. So don't cry victim when your religion does the same thing day in and day out.

Jews have the same god as Christians, so I'd venture to guess that if he's consistently making fun of anything he's also doing it to himself.

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Go for it. I could care less.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/vatican-to-train-more-exorcists/2007/12/30/1198949675461.html

Let the light of our LORD JESUS shine through every human and cast out the demons!!!

Judgment is not sleeping.

You cannot defy the Living God forever.

Repent while you can, Clayton. This is nothing to joke about.

irishjayhawk
12-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Judgment is not sleeping.

You cannot defy the Living God forever.

Repent while you can, Clayton. This is nothing to joke about.

ROFL

It really wouldn't be that funny if you weren't dead serious.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:38 PM
ROFL

It really wouldn't be that funny if you weren't dead serious.

Those that reject the messengers of Christ reject not them, but Christ Himself.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, yet the end thereof is the way of death".

Proverbs 14:12

irishjayhawk
12-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Those that reject the messengers of Christ reject not them, but Christ Himself.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, yet the end thereof is the way of death".

Proverbs 14:12

What does that even mean? We all die.

And Duh I reject Christ. He's an elevated Ghandi. He's a politician/preacher at best.

I mean, when you say evolutionary theory causes all evil, you've got issues.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 12:41 AM
What does that even mean? We all die.

And Duh I reject Christ. He's an elevated Ghandi. He's a politician/preacher at best.

I mean, when you say evolutionary theory causes all evil, you've got issues.

God judge between us.

Amen.

irishjayhawk
01-01-2008, 10:27 AM
God judge between us.

Amen.

FSM judge between us.

RAmen.

scott free
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Gratuitous post to make sure IJH doesnt have the last word in a religious thread.

irishjayhawk
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Gratuitous post to make sure IJH doesnt have the last word in a religious thread.

ROFL

You never addressed me when I called you out for doing what you said you don't do.

SLAG
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM

irishjayhawk
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I find you're guys' antics pretty funny. It's a thread mocking Catholicism and you're wanting the last word.

ROFL.