PDA

View Full Version : Chargers, Marty and Norv

milkman
12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I have a question for all you Marty supporters.

I think most of us expect the Pats to win the SB, and should they stumble, we almost all would expect the Colts to advance.

However, if the Chargers somehow managed to advance to, and win the SB this season, how would that affect your perception of Marty?

dirk digler
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
It wouldn't change anything for me. Marty is a good regular season head coach but he just can't win in the playoffs for whatever reason.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
My opinion of Jimmy Johnson didn't change when Switzer won the SuperBowl; why would your (impossible) scenario change my opinion of Marty?

Knob
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
REPOST!

blueballs
12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Everytime Marty's name is mentioned on CP
a smilie of Charlie Brown would have to take it's place

Reerun_KC
12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
The dude is worthless to a franchise wanting to win a superbowl...

If you are biasing your success off regular season success and first round ass whippings (aka Chiefs), then Martha is your guy. Anything more is asking too much from that joke.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
It would reaffirm my belief that Marty is one of the best HC's ever. He built that team.

milkman
12-30-2007, 01:50 PM
My opinion of Jimmy Johnson didn't change when Switzer won the SuperBowl; why would your (impossible) scenario change my opinion of Marty?

Jimmy Johnson built and coached that team.
Why would Switzer winning a SB with Jimmy's team change your opinion of Jimmy?

This is a different case.

John Butler and AJ Smith built that team, and Marty couldn't get that team, a team considered by most to be the best in the league last year, to the SB.

If the Chargers, under Norv, with essentially the same team, though no longer considered the best team, to the SB, shouldn't that impact your feelings about Marty.

FringeNC
12-30-2007, 01:51 PM
All you can do is make the playoffs, and then it's all Karma, or so our great leader says.

milkman
12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
It would reaffirm my belief that Marty is one of the best HC's ever. He built that team.

So the fact that his team choked, while Norv's team overachieved would not change your view of Marty.

Bowser
12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
The dude is worthless to a franchise wanting to win a superbowl...

If you are biasing your success off regular season success and first round ass whippings (aka Chiefs), then Martha is your guy. Anything more is asking too much from that joke.

Yeah, because Marty made Elliott and Kaeding miss those field goals on purpose, or for Byner to fumble the ball before he scores.

The guy is just snakebit in the playoffs. He's had more bad luck come playoff time than most other coaches combined. Although I will say that Marty giving Grbac the start against the Broncos over Gannon was completely retarted.

el borracho
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
IIRC, it was the wide receivers who lost that game for the Chargers last season with dropped passes, failing to get both feet down in the back of the endzone, and I can't remember what all else. Once again, it was crap execution of a sound plan. Why does that seemingly always happen to Marty?- I'm not sure but I don't think it is Marty's fault if kickers miss multiple kicks, running backs fumble the damn ball, other teams grease their jerseys, referees blow calls, and wide receivers decide to take the day off. None of that was a head coaching decision.

milkman
12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, because Marty made Elliott and Kaeding miss those field goals on purpose, or for Byner to fumble the ball before he scores.

The guy is just snakebit in the playoffs. He's had more bad luck come playoff time than most other coaches combined. Although I will say that Marty giving Grbac the start against the Broncos over Gannon was completely retarted.

When you lose a couple of games because of a kicker, then you could call it snakebit.

When you consistently lose in playoff games, and you have the worst record in playoff history, then I just don't believe "snakebit" is your problem.

Buck
12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/67fmm2a.gif

BWillie
12-30-2007, 02:02 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/67fmm2a.gif

hahah what the hell is that?

Buck
12-30-2007, 02:03 PM
hahah what the hell is that?
Looks like a Closed Circuit High School Television show where they were trying to scare one of the interviewees, when his natural instincts kicked in and he knocked the other kid the **** out.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 02:05 PM
So the fact that his team choked, while Norv's team overachieved would not change your view of Marty.
Not at all. The guy has won 200 games. More than Lombardi, Stram or Parcells. Marty wins and he wins now. And he has proven it 4 times.

milkman
12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Not at all. The guy has won 200 games. More than Lombardi, Stram or Parcells. Marty wins and he wins now. And he has proven it 4 times.

Chuck Knox, I assume, has more wins than Lombardi, Stram or Parcells.

Last time I checked, I don't believe I saw Knox's name alongside the others in the HoF.

blueballs
12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
It's like getting an erection when ever the wind blows
then losing it at the entrance to nirvana

Hydrae
12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a question for all you Marty supporters.

I think most of us expect the Pats to win the SB, and should they stumble, we almost all would expect the Colts to advance.

However, if the Chargers somehow managed to advance to, and win the SB this season, how would that affect your perception of Marty?

I don't consider myself a Marty supporter although I appreciated all he did for this franchise.

I will also say that whatever else you may think of him, we went to the playoffs more often and more consistently than anyone we have had since he left. Maybe he has problems in the post season but with Vermiel and Herm we haven't had much chance to see what they can do with the Chiefs in January.

You must be in it to win it. Marty gave this chance more than anyone else since.

milkman
12-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't consider myself a Marty supporter although I appreciated all he did for this franchise.

I will also say that whatever else you may think of him, we went to the playoffs more often and more consistently than anyone we have had since he left. Maybe he has problems in the post season but with Vermiel and Herm we haven't had much chance to see what they can do with the Chiefs in January.

You must be in it to win it. Marty gave this chance more than anyone else since.

I don't disagree.

I've said it before, as much as I hate Marty, even I recognize the fact that he is the second best coach in Chiefs history.

However, better than bad does not equal good.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Marty in no way, shape or form "built" that team. As a matter of fact, if Marty didn't try to interfere in personnel decisions, he's still be the head coach in San Diego.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Marty in no way, shape or form "built" that team. As a matter of fact, if Marty didn't try to interfere in personnel decisions, he's still be the head coach in San Diego.
Who built his teams the other 17 years of his career?

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Who built his teams the other 17 years of his career?

Ernie Accorsi (Cleveland), Carl Peterson (through 1998 - 1998 was Marty's team) and Daniel Snyder & Vinnie Cerato in DC.