PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding w/ Over 30

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
If the team is going to be bad then I want it to be young. Thus, who 30 or over on this current team would you keep?

IMO, Gonzo & Waters

On the bubble in my mind are Surtain, Edwards & McIntosh.

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
The only use of a 30+ player is if he's helping coach up the young guys. That makes Edwards to only keeper IMO.

blueballs
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Minus McIntosh could
shorten a career or two

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:21 PM
The only use of a 30+ player is if he's helping coach up the young guys. That makes Edwards to only keeper IMO.

No to Gonzo?

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Minus McIntosh could
shorten a career or two

Marty completely rebuild the Chargers offensive line 3 years ago. All five players. You don't think the Chiefs can do the same?

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 01:25 PM
No to Gonzo?
Who's he there to teach? I suppose I could see keeping him to help out Croyle.

MGRS13
12-30-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree but there is no financial way to get rid of Gonzo and no real reson to cut Waters, as for the rest would should have not signed Edwards but he is like a coach on the field so yea keep him, now Surtain is still the best corner we have which isnt saying much but I would like to get younger there so cut him. McIntosh flat out SUCKS if he is back next year and a starter then the line will have made 0 progress, christ he SUCKS!

blueballs
12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
McIntosh would back up in worse case
**** under 30 BS

RustShack
12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think a couple older players out of 53 will kill us.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Who's he there to teach? I suppose I could see keeping him to help out Croyle.

I like seeing the team keep their Hall of Fame and Ring of Fame players. To get to that level they have to have good habits they can teach to the younger players.

Skip Towne
12-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Marty completely rebuild the Chargers offensive line 3 years ago. All five players. You don't think the Chiefs can do the same?
Not with the coaches we have or could likely attract for the job. Except Marty but he probably wouldn't take the HC job anyway so no.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think a couple older players out of 53 will kill us.

A couple would be Gonzo and Waters in my mind. Who would be on your list?

The team has to start young if they are going to build to a championship.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Not with the coaches we have or could likely attract for the job. Except Marty but he probably wouldn't take the HC job anyway so no.

With that rational I expect you say keep McIntosh and Waters on the OLine. Anyone else?

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Gonzo, Waters, McIntosh, Edwards, Boone (over 30?), and I would bring in a couple other leader types that may be around 30. Probably one in the secondary, and maybe Huard or bring in another veteran QB to help Brodie.

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Gonzo, Waters, McIntosh, Edwards, Boone (over 30?), and I would bring in a couple other leader types that may be around 30. Probably one in the secondary, and maybe Huard or bring in another veteran QB to help Brodie.
What can Huard teach Croyle?

"See, this here is how you throw a lame duck without any velocity. Next we'll work on curling up in the fetal position before you're even touched."

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
What can Huard teach Croyle?

"See, this here is how you throw a lame duck without any velocity. Next we'll work on curling up in the fetal position before you're even touched."

LOL.

You're right. We should just go into next season with an unproven, injury prone Croyle, a 7th round pick in Thigpen, and an undrafted rookie in David Greene as our QBs. Then when Brodie gets hurt in week one, we will really get young!!!

Simplex3
12-30-2007, 01:42 PM
LOL.

You're right. We should just go into next season with an unproven, injury prone Croyle, a 7th round pick in Thigpen, and an undrafted rookie in David Greene as our QBs. Then when Brodie gets hurt in week one, we will really get young!!!
There has to be some 4-6 year QB who's floating around somewhere in FA.

Mecca
Other teams have done that.....The Jags have no "vet backup" and never have...

They had Leftwich, Garrard and Gray for quite awhile...where's this rule that you need a vet backup?

Chief Faithful
McIntosh would back up in worse case
**** under 30 BS

Here is the list of 30 or over next season currently on the roster:
Bober
Boone
Bell
Carney
Darche
Dunn
Edwards
Gonzo
Huard
Kennison
Law
McIntosh
Reed
Surtain
Turley
Waters
Welbourn
Westley
Wiegman

That is 19 of the 53 representing 36% of the roster. Maybe two of these players will still be in the NFL by the time this team finishes rebuilding. These guys also represent the current leadership of this 4-11 team.

Gonzo is a Hall of Famer, Waters a potential Ring of Famer, and Edwards a coach on the field. Guys like that can contribute in a rebuilding effort. All the others are just guys they will need to replace so why wait?

doomy3
There has to be some 4-6 year QB who's floating around somewhere in FA.

Name Him.

And would a David Carr/Joey Harrington type REALLY be better than keeping Huard on the roster?

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Other teams have done that.....The Jags have no "vet backup" and never have...

They had Leftwich, Garrard and Gray for quite awhile...where's this rule that you need a vet backup?

OK Mecca, so you feel good about going into next season with Croyle, Thigpen, and Greene as our QBs then? Is that what you're saying?

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Bober
Boone
Bell
Carney
Darche
Dunn
Edwards
Gonzo
Huard
Kennison
Law
McIntosh
Reed
Surtain
Turley
Waters
Welbourn
Westley
Wiegman

That is 19 of the 53 representing 36% of the roster. Maybe two of these players will still be in the NFL by the time this team finishes rebuilding. These guys also represent the current leadership of this 4-11 team.

Gonzo is a Hall of Famer, Waters a potential Ring of Famer, and Edwards a coach on the field. Guys like that can contribute in a rebuilding effort. All the others are just guys they will need to replace so why wait?

I see no reason to dump Boone or McIntosh as they can add nice depth to the line positions.

Mecca
12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
OK Mecca, so you feel good about going into next season with Croyle, Thigpen, and Greene as our QBs then? Is that what you're saying?

No..but I'm the guy who wants to draft a QB so nevermind me, I'm the minority.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I see no reason to dump Boone or McIntosh as they can add nice depth to the line positions.

I can see it if they really are depth, but if they are the starters all the team is doing is putting off the inevitable. Plus, we have all seen it if there is a veteran to play that is who CP will push the coach to play only making a rebuilding effort less effective.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM

So far, I have heard you say you want to draft Dorsey, Ellis, and a QB with our pick. If we can get all those guys with our pick, surely one of them will pan out.

So, who do you really want us to take?

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM

You are not alone.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I can see it if they really are depth, but if they are the starters all the team is doing is putting off the inevitable. Plus, we have all seen it if there is a veteran to play that is who CP will push the coach to play only making a rebuilding effort less effective.

At one point this season, a couple weeks ago, Boone was #1 against the run for his position in the league. Not sure if that's still true, but you don't dump that guy IMO.

kcfanXIII
12-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Bober
Boone
Bell
Carney
Darche
Dunn
Edwards
Gonzo
Huard
Kennison
Law
McIntosh
Reed
Surtain
Turley
Waters
Welbourn
Westley
Wiegman

if that list doesn't say rebuilding year, i don't know what does. ****ing carl

Mecca
12-30-2007, 01:51 PM
So far, I have heard you say you want to draft Dorsey, Ellis, and a QB with our pick. If we can get all those guys with our pick, surely one of them will pan out.

So, who do you really want us to take?

My draft stuff is all scenario and based upon what people are laying out, "in this scenario" and all that...

I'd take a QB if I was doing the picking.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Chief Faithful]Here is the list of 30 or over next season currently on the roster:
Bober
Boone
Bell
Carney
Darche
Dunn
Edwards
Gonzo
Huard
Kennison
Law
McIntosh
Reed
Surtain
Turley
Waters
Welbourn
Westley
Wiegman

QUOTE]

Carney is a Kicker. Darche is a long snapper. Bober, Bell, Huard, Wesley are all backing up young players and aren't starters at their positions. Dunn is a blocking TE. Those guys barely qualify to be listed on this list IMO.

The main over 30 players who need to be discussed are the ones who play major roles and aren't contributing.

Law, Surtain, Turley, Weigman, Welbourn, Bell.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:55 PM
At one point this season, a couple weeks ago, Boone was #1 against the run for his position in the league. Not sure if that's still true, but you don't dump that guy IMO.

No doubt his is getting the job done, but do you think he will still be effective by the time this team is finished rebuilding? If not, what is the purpose of keeping him? Will he help the young guys develop like Edwards does? Does he provide examples like Gonzo and Waters?

I won't be disappoint if Boone is still on the roster next year, but I really don't see the benefit if the team is building toward a championship.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:56 PM
My draft stuff is all scenario and based upon what people are laying out, "in this scenario" and all that...

I'd take a QB if I was doing the picking.

OK, well in that case then, I would definitely dump Huard and go with the rookie QB, Croyle, and whoever as a 3rd stringer.

But then, it does make it more difficult to get younger at some of these other positions if we draft a top 5 QB when one of our positions where we are actually young is QB.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Chief Faithful]Here is the list of 30 or over next season currently on the roster:
Bober
Boone
Bell
Carney
Darche
Dunn
Edwards
Gonzo
Huard
Kennison
Law
McIntosh
Reed
Surtain
Turley
Waters
Welbourn
Westley
Wiegman

QUOTE]

Carney is a Kicker. Darche is a long snapper. Bober, Bell, Huard, Wesley are all backing up young players and aren't starters at their positions. Dunn is a blocking TE. Those guys barely qualify to be listed on this list IMO.

The main over 30 players who need to be discussed are the ones who play major roles and aren't contributing.

Law, Surtain, Turley, Weigman, Welbourn, Bell.

But every backup over 30 is replacing a young talent that could be developing. If they are expecting to reach the playoffs next year then it makes sense to have 30+ guys as backup. If they are truely rebuilding it makes no sense.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
No doubt his is getting the job done, but do you think he will still be effective by the time this team is finished rebuilding? If not, what is the purpose of keeping him? Will he help the young guys develop like Edwards does? Does he provide examples like Gonzo and Waters?

I won't be disappoint if Boone is still on the roster next year, but I really don't see the benefit if the team is building toward a championship.

How the Hell do any of us really know that? And what good does it do any of our young players if we throw in someone that doesn't need to be on the field just because they are young? Do you really think that if we downgrade at DT just to get young and play Turk McBride every down instead of Boone, that helps our young LBs, DEs, or Safeties to succeed?

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 02:05 PM
How the Hell do any of us really know that? And what good does it do any of our young players if we throw in someone that doesn't need to be on the field just because they are young? Do you really think that if we downgrade at DT just to get young and play Turk McBride every down instead of Boone, that helps our young LBs, DEs, or Safeties to succeed?

If they prove on the field they don't belong then you replace him with the next guy. That is what happens in a rebuilding effort.

A good example is what Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas. For two years he sifted through players at a pace I'm not sure I've seen sense until he found the right group. That also happened to be maybe the fastest rebuilding effort that decade.

doomy3
12-30-2007, 02:07 PM
If they prove on the field they don't belong then you replace him with the next guy. That is what happens in a rebuilding effort.

A good example is what Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas. For two years he sifted through players at a pace I'm not sure I've seen sense until he found the right group. That also happened to be maybe the fastest rebuilding effort that decade.

What positions did Johnson sift through players at a rapid pace. I only ask because I really don't know. I just know they drafted a stud QB, RB, WR, OLine, and that's really all I remember about that team.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 02:15 PM
What positions did Johnson sift through players at a rapid pace. I only ask because I really don't know. I just know they drafted a stud QB, RB, WR, OLine, and that's really all I remember about that team.

All over the team especially the O & D Lines. If I remember correctly his second year he had 17 different starters at the end of the season from those who started the first game. It was brutal, but it only took two seasons to find his starters for the team we remember being so dominate.

Chief Faithful
12-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Pittsburgh did the same thing in the 70's. Chuck Knoll replaced every starter in two years and 49 players on the total roster. He had that team of the 70's assembled in two seasons.