PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Free Agents

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I am only posting the OL page, but the link to the site is listed below, where you can check out the rest.

Top 2008 Free Agent OL
By: Greg Davis

QB | RB | WR | OL | DL | LB | DB | ST

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears
An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. Heís a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams wonít line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and contract extension talks have gone nowhere. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Flozell Adams, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
A veteran left tackle, Adams should hit the market and receive decent interest. A second-round pick in 1998, Adams has developed into one of the leagueís better offensive linemen. His size, experience, and performance will lure teams into making a considerable offer for his services. The Cowboys are developing young talent behind him, and depending on how that youth pans out the rest of the season, the team could allow him to leave in favor of saving some money.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers
With Grossí contract voiding at seasonís end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season.

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but thereís a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he gets to protect Peyton Manning, so he could easily stay.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. Heís 25 and is listed at 6í7Ē while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many teamís list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the potential he has shown on the field.

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isnít the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams
Steussie has been a solid offensive tackle for several years, but he was placed on injured reserve earlier this season because of a foot injury. Heís approaching forty years of age, but he may still have a good season or two in him. He should receive some attention as a free agent simply because of his experience and the position he plays.

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers
A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence in 2006 was a key reason for the teamís struggles. Whartonís rookie contract will expire at seasonís end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and teamís looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen
OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA San Diego Chargers
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks
OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens
OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsOL.html

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Several good OL men available. Hopefully KC will grab at least 2 of them.

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I decided to psot the DB FA's since that is a big need for us too.

Top 2008 Free Agent DB
By: Greg Davis

QB | RB | WR | OL | DL | LB | DB | ST

Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots
Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. He has followed it up with six interceptions this season, and while his interception totals have been impressive, so has his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. Heís shutdown quality receivers, helping the Patriots to an undefeated record through so far. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, heíll command big dollars on the market.

Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
The former Colts safety has a new home this season, and if he can avoid injury, he could see a long-term deal from Minnesota. Doss The former Colts safety has a new home this season, but he hasnít played well enough to earn a starting role and has been on the field during just eight games with little to show for it. Doss recorded a pair of interceptions in just six games during the í06 season, and had two picks each of the three seasons prior to Ď07. He has some ability and playoff experience under his belt. Heíll likely have to take that ability and experience to a new home for í08.

Domonique Foxworth, RFA, Denver Broncos
Foxworth is used mainly as a nickel defender, and while fast, he doesnít always make the best play on the ball. Heís just 24, so experience and playing time should help his development. If another team thinks he can be a top two cornerback, he may seek to leave Denver to take on that bigger role. His RFA status will make it difficult to pull him away from the Broncos, but the cornerback position is one of great significance in the modern NFL, so thereís a chance.

Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Florence held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, even though the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play, Cromartie will probably be the starter next season. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006 with two this season. The Chargers can afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots
Gay is just 25, and while he benefits from playing for a solid Patriots team, he is still a decent player in his own right. Heís been able to step up even more this season and post solid numbers, while also showing more consistency. He has registered 37 total tackles to go along with three interceptions. The Patriots and Gay will look to keep him in New England, but a few teams could jump in and try to lure him away, including the New York Jets, who were interested in Gay last offseason.

Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Trufantís contract has voided based on playing time and given the teamís commitment to other players at his position, it appears that the cornerback will be looking for a starting position elsewhere. His 2004 season was easily his best, when he compiled 96 total tackles, five interceptions, and a sack. He was unable to match that type of production until this season, in which he has 77 total tackles and seven interceptions. He will be one of the top defensive targets on the market.

Ken Hamlin, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
The Arkansas product has 59 total tackles and five interceptions, and has helped Dallas to one of the leagueís best records. Hamlin is still young at 26, and should have several seasons ahead of him, so there will be teams interested in using him at the safety spot. Dallas will look to sign him to an extension so that they can continue to benefit from his play.

Other Free Agent Cornerback
Chris Carr RFA Oakland Raiders
Tory James UFA New England Patriots
Karl Paymah RFA Denver Broncos
B.J. Sams UFA Baltimore Ravens
Chad Scott UFA New England Patriots

Other Free Agent Safety
William Bartee UFA Kansas City Chiefs
Jay Bellamy UFA New Orleans Saints
Omar Stoutmire UFA Washington Redskins
Derrick Strait UFA Carolina Panthers
Gibril Wilson UFA New York Giants

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I see Derek Anderson, Cleveland Browns is available. Should CP pursue?

dallaschiefsfan
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
This list is irrelevent if Herm is still the coach...he does not seem inclined to make any significant signings from free agency. Just window shopping...

bowener
12-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I see Derek Anderson, Cleveland Browns is available. Should CP pursue?

For a first and a third?

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 06:49 PM
For a first and a third?Is that the asking price?

bowener
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah I think he is a RFA, so I am sure they will slap the big sticker price on him.

Cochise
12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
No fraking free agents. Build through the draft. Solutions, not band-aids please

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I see some decent WR on that list too

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I see some decent WR on that list too. One returned 2 kicks for a TD today.

scott free
12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm in for Faneca & Adams...but since both would likely break the bank, i'd take Faneca, help solidify the middle with him while taking a LT #1.

I'd also like to see a top 3-4 year vet at WR brought in, it usually takes SO long to develop those guys...gimme a guy who can come in & elevate the O's play from day 1.

But thats really about it for FA's on O, the quick fix for "another run" is dead.

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
No fraking free agents. Build through the draft. Solutions, not band-aids please

We have way to many holes to fill to not dip into FA. Besides, If we can get a young player that makes an impact, then that is hardly a band aid approach.

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Asante Samuel is a UFA

chiefbowe82
12-30-2007, 07:04 PM
how about we ignore FA and release the old players. And draft 10+ players. Get a guy who can return kicks/punts and if they can sign a young lineman fine

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Wharton, Starks, Lilja, are all pretty young. I would love to see them here. Adams is a bit older, but as long as we didnt over pay him, he would be a nice addition as well.

The Bad Guy
12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Those of you thinking we could just take care of all these holes through the draft are in serious need of mental help. There are young enough players in free agency that can help this team.

Toad
12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I would have a problem with old "band-aids". That is where we have gotten into trouble in the past. Young / good FA's, on the other hand, would be a solution.

Max Starks, although I think Pitt signs him long term, would be my choice.

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Those of you thinking we could just take care of all these holes through the draft are in serious need of mental help. There are young enough players in free agency that can help this team.

And a lot of those players will either be asking for too much money, or will be re-signed by their respective teams.

Asante Samuel being a good example. Even if NE lets him walk, we'd be foolish to spend that kind of money. He'll get a Nate Clements-esq contract.

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Out of all the players listed, the only ones we should be targeting IMO are:

Jordan Gross, RT, Carolina

Chris Kemoeatu, G, Steelers (RFA, depending on compensation)

Randall Gay, CB, Patriots.

The rest are either too old, are likely to be too expensive, or don't fit here.

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I see Derek Anderson, Cleveland Browns is available. Should CP pursue?NO. Overrated. We'd have to give up picks to get him, absolutely NOT!

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
NO. Overrated. We'd have to give up picks to get him, absolutely NOT!

Sounds like a sure thing for CP then.

Pablo
12-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Jake Scott is only 26. He's looked pretty good in this Indy/Ten game.

But I'm sure he'd come with an ungodly price tag. If not, we might consider him.

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Has anyone heard how our cap situation looks this year? It seems to me like someone said KC was several million under the cap this past year. If so, I believe that would carry over to this year. I know JA will command a big chunk of that, but I think we should still be able to spend some decent money in FA this year, and after this season, I think CP will be desperate and will spend a lot his year.

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 11:04 PM
It will be interesting what free agents we get.

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Lilja, Gross and Jake Scott should all be targeted by the Chiefs.

The Bad Guy
12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
And a lot of those players will either be asking for too much money, or will be re-signed by their respective teams.

Asante Samuel being a good example. Even if NE lets him walk, we'd be foolish to spend that kind of money. He'll get a Nate Clements-esq contract.

I don't want to spend money on a corner to play cover 2. It doesn't make any sense.

Where I want money spent is at OL and WR.

The Bad Guy
12-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Lilja, Gross and Jake Scott should all be targeted by the Chiefs.

Agreed.

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't want to spend money on a corner to play cover 2. It doesn't make any sense.

Randy Moss is a FA.

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2007, 11:12 PM

Agreed, provided they are young and relatively inexpensive.

Oh yeah, and available.

People are gonna be disappointed when a lot of these guys are re-signed by their own teams or tagged.

Indy is a good example. People are nuts if they think they are gonna let Scott AND Lilja walk. Very likely they'll sign them both at a pretty reasonable rate. Might as well stick around and collect some hardware.

philfree
12-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Yes there are and alot of them are o-linemen which is our weakest link. If we handle free agency properly we can draft the best players available and not reach for need. Sevral of the linemen are 26 years old and one is 25. those guys have alot of shelf life left so they wouldn't be just "band aids".

PhilFree:arrow:

acesn8s
12-30-2007, 11:17 PM
When does the free agent signing period begin?

SBK
12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
The only free agent that I would like to see KC take a look at is Bryant Johnson, WR from Arizona. Maybe Lilja, but I really think we need to stay away from guys that other teams think aren't worth keeping and build our team around the draft.....

The Bad Guy
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Agreed, provided they are young and relatively inexpensive.

Oh yeah, and available.

People are gonna be disappointed when a lot of these guys are re-signed by their own teams or tagged.

Indy is a good example. People are nuts if they think they are gonna let Scott AND Lilja walk. Very likely they'll sign them both at a pretty reasonable rate. Might as well stick around and collect some hardware.

Why wouldn't they let both of them walk?

The Colts have a superior line coach, and a top notch system to shuffle guys in and out.

They lost their LT last year, put in a 2nd round pick who had question marks coming out, and haven't missed a beat.

When you have a great system in place, guards are replaceable.

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2007, 11:33 PM

The Colts have a superior line coach, and a top notch system to shuffle guys in and out.

They lost their LT last year, put in a 2nd round pick who had question marks coming out, and haven't missed a beat.

Sure, guards are replaceable.

But would you rather keep those two and KNOW what you have, or take a chance that Manning gets killed behind a line that has 2 new members? It's not like they are going to be asking for Steve Huchinson-type money. And you can bet your ass Manning wants them to stick around. Continuity is everything on the OL.

Plus, if I'm Lilja and Scott, I'm hoping to stick around and collect some more SB rings.

Why pull a Edgerrin James?

JMO.

ChiefsCountry
12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Here is the guys I would target - get at least 3 of them:

Bryant Johnson
Ryan Lilja
Jordan Gross
Jake Scott
Randall Gay

jjchieffan
12-30-2007, 11:37 PM

I wouldn't say they didn't miss a beat. Teams have put more pressure on Manning this year. I distinctly remember the SD game. Manning threw 6 picks because of the pressure from the SD Dline.

philfree
12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Sure, guards are replaceable.

But would you rather keep those two and KNOW what you have, or take a chance that Manning gets killed behind a line that has 2 new members? It's not like they are going to be asking for Steve Huchinson-type money. And you can bet your ass Manning wants them to stick around. Continuity is everything on the OL.

Plus, if I'm Lilja and Scott, I'm hoping to stick around and collect some more SB rings.

Why pull a Edgerrin James?

JMO.

They have rings already but what they don't have is enough money. If i were tehm i'd test the market. This is their chance to get set for life so why wouldn't they want that. Oh yeah, and they have agents who wanna make bank too.

PhilFree:arrow:

Buehler445
12-31-2007, 07:07 AM
I would say that we don't get anybody over 26 or maybe 27. I saw a couple of young CBs that if we got cheap would be OK.

Here are things IMO that the Chiefs should NOT do.

1. Spend lots of money. Save it for JA and our first round so he doesn't hold out. Moreover, most of our big money signings have been poop. How about we learn from our mistakes.

2. Go old. Unless we have 0 guys to fill the hole I don't see any point in spending ANY money on old guys.

3. Get an LT. I think there were some RTs in there that weren't too bad. I hear there is fair (not top notch, but fair) talent at LT to be had in the second round if we choose another position in the first. And I didn't see any Roafs out there.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
The corner from the Raiders is filing for FA. I would target him in a second. Big, physical, great tackler, good cover man.

RedThat
12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
The corner from the Raiders is filing for FA. I would target him in a second. Big, physical, great tackler, good cover man.

Are you talking about Ndami Asomaugha? Whatever his name is...lol

Direckshun
12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd only take a flyer on a WR and a couple OL.

Every other place on this team needs to be Drafted.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Are you talking about Ndami Asomaugha? Whatever his name is...lol

Yes.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Asante Samuel is a UFA

i like Trufant much better than samuel

KCrockaholic
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Here is the guys I would target - get at least 3 of them:

Bryant Johnson
Ryan Lilja
Jordan Gross
Jake Scott
Randall Gay

To Bad Ryan Lilja was right in our hands when Vermeil was here, and then we decided to cut him!!! Vermeil screwed us on that one!