PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR- Chiefs see growth in Croyle despite losses

Count Alex's Losses
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/424368.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. | Here he was again, the same look on his face and the same thing on his mind. Brodie Croyle hardly wanted to talk about his sixth loss as the Chiefs’ starting quarterback.

What more was there to say?

“As a quarterback, you’re supposed to win,” he said. “We didn’t win.”

Not in six starts since replacing Damon Huard. Not once.

Croyle said he established goals before coach Herm Edwards named Croyle the Chiefs starter before the team’s Nov. 25 game against the Oakland Raiders. Those goals included “winning some games,” Croyle said, and learning something in each contest. He said he accomplished the latter, and Edwards said he noticed Croyle’s improvements. Edwards said Croyle’s play — or the perception of it — suffered as a result of the Chiefs’ rushing woes.

He also suffered as a result of poor protection. Croyle was sacked 17 times in his six games. One of the men whose job it is to protect him, guard Brian Waters, said he has noticed Croyle’s growth, much of which centered on his maturity and ability to lead the offense.

In the huddle, Waters said, Croyle is authoritative, and he does not blame his offensive linemen for their mistakes. Croyle is 24 years old, but his teammates view him as a leader.

Waters said Croyle’s most noticeable growth has come in avoiding his own mistakes, including Sunday when he did not throw an interception.

Waters said that with each game, he has noticed Croyle’s confidence grow, from an Alabama kid without a start, to a quarterback Edwards has repeated will be the team’s starter in 2008.

“He’s got his country swagger,” Waters said. “He’s getting better at controlling the huddle and being aware of his surroundings and saving some plays, not taking sacks, throwing the ball away — not hurting us.”

Croyle seems to be somewhere on the road toward becoming a leader, even if he wears reminders of his youth and his background. He is country enough that he stores his wedding band in his cowboy boots during games but city enough to wear a scarf when he appears on camera and to accept blame for his team’s mistakes.

Describing his team’s shortcomings is a requirement Croyle does not yet seem comfortable with but is one he understands he must endure if he is to remain the team’s starter. The same is true for enduring the Chiefs’ losing streak and facing questions about how prepared he is for the NFL’s grind.

“There’s a lot to learn in this league,” said Croyle, who was 20-for-43 passing for 195 yards. “Every game is a learning experience. Every practice is a learning experience.”

Still, Croyle said he would give himself a low grade for his six-game season. Growth or not, he said failing to win means he was not a success.

He added an additional loss Sunday, a lopsided record that coaches have downplayed to Croyle. It might have

Easy 6
12-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm gonna scrap with all i've got for this kid, all off-season.

BIG John McCarthy says..."LETS GET IT ON!!!".

Micjones
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Has Croyle gotten taller?

Because I didn't see any progress in his on-the-field performance.

J Diddy
12-30-2007, 11:07 PM

then you didn't watch the games

Easy 6
12-31-2007, 06:04 PM

Then i'd suggest you go see an optometrist...stat.

Your gonna kill someone while your out driving around.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
And here we go, the spin to avoid drafting the QB high...

Did he look better against the Jets? Sure but the Jets are ****in brutal, that's called grading on a curve. He was also awful against a bad Lions team...He was completely shitty in every start except the one against the other 4-12 team....

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
He was completely shitty in every start except the one against the other 4-12 team....

He played pretty good against the second best team in the AFC at their place.

Count Alex's Losses
12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Mecca that's not accurate. Croyle was decent against the Titans, Colts and Raiders.

I thought New York was his worst game until the second half.

BigVE
12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
It's so hard to evaluate ANYONE behind our pitiful O-line.
He deserves more opportunities but I don't feel comfortable standing pat and waiting to see if he IS the man or not. AT LEAST we need to sign a more serviceable veteran QB as a backup.

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM

Did he look better against the Jets? Sure but the Jets are ****in brutal, that's called grading on a curve. He was also awful against a bad Lions team...He was completely shitty in every start except the one against the other 4-12 team....

Did you notice he had wrap on his hand, and probably a cortisone shot before game. the kid pulled through and did a good job with that hindrance.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I really dont know why we keeping arguing with Mecca about Croyle. He hated the pick on draft day and his opinion hasnt changed. If he doesnt like a player at the time of draft, he will never like him.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Mecca that's not accurate. Croyle was decent against the Titans, Colts and Raiders.

I thought New York was his worst game until the second half.

Against the Titans on his 3rd pass he hit a guy right in the chest for a pick 6 that got dropped....as soon as the Titans got the lead and it was a key possession what did he do...he threw the ball right to Michael Griffin. I wasn't impressed at all in that game...

Until the Jets game he became brutally bad in the 2nd half and the other teams won.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey I didn't like the pick, he's a frail guy with a strong arm that has a history of being made of glass..

So far he's done nothing to change my view of that.

Count Alex's Losses
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Against the Titans on his 3rd pass he hit a guy right in the chest for a pick 6 that got dropped....as soon as the Titans got the lead and it was a key possession what did he do...he threw the ball right to Michael Griffin. I wasn't impressed at all in that game...

Well he made some plays. Young quarterbacks are going to make mistakes, that's just how it is. I'm not going to call any Croyle start this year "completely shitty" because it's just not accurate.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:18 PM
I'd like for him to at least complete 50% in every game, seeing as to really be good you need to be at 60% so that would at least be a start.

Count Alex's Losses
12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I'd like for him to at least complete 50% in every game

He only had one game this year under 52 percent, and it was yesterday when we dropped like 7 passes.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM

He didn't even complete 50% of his passes against that shitty Jets team. The homer glasses are thick for a lot of people right now.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
He didn't even complete 50% of his passes against that shitty Jets team. The homer glasses are thick for a lot of people right now.

That was obvious when Croyle won in a poll by a landslide over JaMarcus Russell in a "who'd you rather have"

Easy 6
12-31-2007, 06:27 PM

How about when you add in all of the drops???

The virulently negative glasses are mighty thick around here as well, so i guess it all kinda evens out.

ChiefsLV
12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
All I can say is I hope Mecca is wrong because it's not looking like Herm will draft a QB with our pick. But if by some miracle they do draft Matt Ryan, then I hope to god Mecca is right about him and I hope Chiefs fans can collectively be a little more patient with our young QB's.

Gotta love Croyle's arm...

shaneo69
12-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I'd like for him to at least complete 50% in every game, seeing as to really be good you need to be at 60% so that would at least be a start.

Kind of like Matt Ryan's 22 for 49 in the bowl game against a sh*tty Michigan State team playing without their best pass rusher.

Oh wait, I forgot, Matt Ryan has a bad supporting cast.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:51 PM
If he worked out that would be a lot easier, but from what I've seen and know of him I'd be shocked.

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Kind of like Matt Ryan's 22 for 49 in the bowl game against a sh*tty Michigan State team playing without their best pass rusher.

Rep.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Nice exaggeration......it'll be awesome when we don't take one this year and then next year have to decide if we wanna take Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy or Matthew Stafford.

And Matt Ryan does play with a horrid supporting cast, not one of those skill position players is any good.

siberian khatru
12-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Nice exaggeration......it'll be awesome when we don't take one this year and then next year have to decide if we wanna take Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy or Matthew Stafford.

Chase Daniel, baby. :p

Mecca
12-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Chase Daniel, baby. :p

AHAHAA, ok you just made my night with that one.

CoMoChief
12-31-2007, 07:14 PM
I really dont know why we keeping arguing with Mecca about Croyle. He hated the pick on draft day and his opinion hasnt changed. If he doesnt like a player at the time of draft, he will never like him.

Croyle is to Mecca

as

Sasha Kaun is to CoMoChief

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2007, 07:18 PM

And Matt Ryan does play with a horrid supporting cast, not one of those skill position players is any good.

That's one reason why I'm perfectly comfortable with not taking Ryan, or any other QB in the draft. Croyle will give us much of the same next year, it will probably be the end of Carl and Herm. I don't see Clark being as forgiving over back to back 4-12 records. Then we get Tim Tebow, or Colt McCoy. I think both of them will be better than Ryan. It's all a crapshoot though.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-31-2007, 07:23 PM
That's one reason why I'm perfectly comfortable with not taking Ryan, or any other QB in the draft. Croyle will give us much of the same next year, it will probably be the end of Carl and Herm. I don't see Clark being as forgiving over back to back 4-12 records. Then we get Tim Tebow, or Colt McCoy. I think both of them will be better than Ryan. It's all a crapshoot though.

I've never wanted to be so wrong in all of my life.

WestCoastReggie
12-31-2007, 07:27 PM

Matt Ryan reminds me of Alex Smith.