PDA

View Full Version : Old item from Ben Stein, plus a little.

a1na2
12-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Katrina) Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response.

She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leaves us alone?'

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.

Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem. We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we e think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Dumbass.

patteeu
12-31-2007, 01:11 PM
I think I'll spank my kids this afternoon for good measure.

a1na2
12-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Dumbass.

Whiner

Fishpicker
12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
I see the point Stein is making but having God's full attention is just as bad as being ignored by God. just think about what God did to Job. God put an end to his livlilhood, his family and his health. And God did all that to the person that trusted God the most. All on a whim, to win a bet with the devil.

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
The Comic Sans is a great touch.

Fishpicker
12-31-2007, 01:46 PM
The Comic Sans is a great touch.
Ka-ZoW

jAZ
12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

This is the only part that Stein SPOKE (as in delivered on TV, not published). The rest must be Ted Nugent.

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

Cochise
12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
This is so old you can't even get into the thread first to make a Ted Nugent or George Carlin joke.

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Ka-ZoWBa-Zing!

|Zach|
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Tom Cash the poster boy for using Snopes as your home page.

a1na2
12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Ruffled feathers guys?

Fishpicker
12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Ruffled feathers guys?

Are you in on the joke yet?

a1na2
12-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you in on the joke yet?
Only that you are a joke.

a1na2
12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
- ahem, shut your mouth - the poster boy for using Snopes as your home page.

I think your opinion of yourself is way over inflated as is your photographic career. Still waiting for the big one?

all kidding aside, some of your pics are OK, but nothing compared to what most tourists can come up with.

Fishpicker
12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
oooooooh snap. I'll never recover. I'll just hobble to a remote location and die the loneliest death. I would've been alright except for your last comment. it truly did me in.

a1na2
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Fishpicker, you are missing the point.

I DONT CARE.

Jenson71
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
I think your opinion of yourself is way over inflated as is your photographic career. Still waiting for the big one?

all kidding aside, some of your pics are OK, but nothing compared to what most tourists can come up with.

Why are you so negative and confrontational? And are you referring to professional tourists like Samantha Brown or by tourists do you mean, everyone in the world? As in, most everyone in the world can shoot pictures better than Zach?

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Please critique my photography, Tom.

http://i9.tinypic.com/828vmvp.jpg

a1na2
12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Why are you so negative and confrontational? And are you referring to professional tourists like Samantha Brown or by tourists do you mean, everyone in the world? As in, most everyone in the world can shoot pictures better than Zach?

It's the eye of the beholder for the last question.

DanT
01-01-2008, 03:59 PM

This is the only part that Stein SPOKE (as in delivered on TV, not published). The rest must be Ted Nugent.

Thanks for looking that up, jAZ. When I read the piece, it sounded like Ben Stein at the beginning but then started smelling like something else. Ben Stein gave the commencement address when my brother (jettio) graduated law school, and it was easily the best commencement address I've ever heard. He's a good man.

a1na2
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm guessing that you didn't read the whole article. I edited out stuff that I knew was not factual, if I missed some of it it was an oversite.

The comments by Graham were factual and not attributable to Nugent.

Nice try, but no score on that one.

Cochise
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
:rolleyes:

RedDread
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm saddened to see one of the most intelligent public figures fighting for creationism in the classroom. :shake:

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/

jAZ
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm guessing that you didn't read the whole article. I edited out stuff that I knew was not factual, if I missed some of it it was an oversite.

The comments by Graham were factual and not attributable to Nugent.

Nice try, but no score on that one.
You just cut and paste that article.

It's signed at the bottom as "Honestly and respectfully, Ben Stein". First, everything between the part I quoted and that signature have nothing to do with Ben Stein. Second, the signature was fake too. The first part was not written (and thus signed as attributed). It was delivered as a speech on TV.

You got suckered into reposting some garbage. It's ok, it happens ALL THE TIME. Just admit it and move on. Or claim you like it as is no matter who wrote it.. and move on.

But don't add to it, but missing the Ted Nugent sarcasm and trying to pretend like the whole thing wasn't (falsely) attributed to Ben Stein as posted.

jAZ
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm saddened to see one of the most intelligent public figures fighting for creationism in the classroom. :shake:

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/
Watch the trailer on that... I hadn't heard about it until you posted that link, but his entire monologue (and presumably the premise of the movie) is completely flawed.

He's trying to conflate science with philosphy and blame scientists for defending the institution of science.

It's a completely ignorant premise and a rather embarassing venture for Stein to get mixed in with.

I'd venture to guess that that article mentioned in the trailer wasn't published becuase it wasn't actually science.

If it was anything related to "intelligent design" t most surely didn't have a testable hypothesis, something that must exist to be science. No peer reviewed ID article has ever been published for exactly that reason.

I'll be interested in DanT's POV on that trailer.