PDA

View Full Version : With the 5th pick of the draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select ....

Mr. Laz
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Owen Schmitt ... Fullback ... West Virginia

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/fb/owenschmitt.jpg
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 260 | 40-Time: 4.85

Official Bio
Strengths:
Has good size and a solid frame...Really tough, strong and powerful...Outstanding blocker...Runs hard and is a load to bring down..Has good hands and runs decent routes...Effective in short yardage situations..Hard worker and a true team player.

Weaknesses:
Is not a great natural athlete...Speed and quickness are just average at best...Is not real elusive and offers very little in space...Needs to take a little better care of the football...Isn't a big play threat...Will play too high at times...Upside is limited.

Notes:
Began his college career at Division 3 Wisconsin-River Falls and then sat out in '04 after transferring...A monster in the weight room...What you see is what you get with this guy...A classic throwback with excellent intangibles who isn't necessarily one-dimensional but will definitely earn his paycheck as a lead blocker in the pros.

Career Statistics
Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD
2003 9 193 1,063 5.5 5 2 10 0
2004 DNP - - - - - - -
2005 12 48 380 7.9 2 8 76 0
2006 13 65 351 5.4 7 12 91 1
Totals 34 306 1,794 5.9 14 22 177 1

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
LMAO

dirk digler
12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
LMAO

EAT SHIT LAZ

ChiTown
12-31-2007, 02:20 PM
bout gdamn time we got a first rd fullback........

Saulbadguy
12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey, he started out at UWRF. There is a connection.

cdcox
I didn't go to all that work to get us a top 5 pick just to burn it on a FB.

OnTheWarpath58
Honestly, as of now, I guess: (order 3-5 approximate, but likely we pick 5th)

Miami: Dorsey

Rams: C. Long

Raiders: McFadden

Falcons: Ryan

Chiefs: Choice between Jake Long, Sedrick Ellis and James Laurinaitis. Hopefully Michael Oher declares to make this an easier decision. God help us if we trade down.

As much as everyone wants OL help, I can't see them using the #5 overall on a right tackle.

Ellis is the pick. MAYBE Laurinaitis.

Cochise
haha. Watch them pick Sam Keller or some crap

Ebolapox
12-31-2007, 02:22 PM

Chiefs: Choice between Jake Long, Sedrick Ellis and James Laurinaitis. Hopefully Michael Oher declares to make this an easier decision. God help us if we trade down.

As much as everyone wants OL help, I can't see them using the #5 overall on a right tackle.

a friend of mine who happens to be a rams fan says they're gonna pick offensive line. jake long will probably be off the board in that case.

KCFalcon59
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
The chiefs will reach. It is a given.

ChiTown
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM

If Jake Long is there, we'll take him.

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 02:25 PM
a friend of mine who happens to be a rams fan says they're gonna pick offensive line. jake long will probably be off the board in that case.

I live in STL, and haven't heard ANYONE talk about OL. They have some good young linemen, but injuries killed them this year.

If for some reason Orlando Pace would retire, then I could see it.

But they need serious help on the DL.

Chris Long and Adam Carriker on the same line?

Damn good start.

siberian khatru
12-31-2007, 02:27 PM
It's funny, when I saw the thread title that's the first guy I thought of.

KCTitus would be proud.

jiveturkey
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Is Long really projected to be a RT?

Is he better or worse than Da'Brick?

Bwana
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
With the way this outfit is run, I wouldn't be surprised at all. On top of that, Peterson likely wouldn't have him signed until the week before the first regular season game.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Well the Jets took a first round fullback and it appears we aspire to be like them now...

Iowanian
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
We all laughed at Coogs? when he made an spooky, similar post, predicting Omar Easy.

seclark
12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
With the way this outfit is run, I wouldn't be surprised at all. On top of that, Peterson likely would have him signed until the week before the first regular season game.
THAT pisses me off more than the draft choices.
sec

ChiTown
12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Is Long really projected to be a RT?

Is he better or worse than Da'Brick?

My personal opinion is that this kid can be an effective starting LT in the NFL. He was the best OL in the Big 10 this year, and that is saying something (he allowed 1 sack).

Mr. Laz
12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
My personal opinion is that this kid can be an effective starting LT in the NFL. He was the best OL in the Big 10 this year, and that is saying something (he allowed 1 sack).
"effective" isn't good enough at #5

what really good pass rushers did he face ..... i'm talking dwight fweeney, Osi Umenyiora and Jared Allen type guys.

can he handle speed guys?

can he handle power guys?

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM

If you're picking the kid Top 5, he better be a hell of a lot better than "effective."

He better be a brick ****ing wall.

Name one great DL he faced this year in the Big 10 not named Gholston.

I haven't read a report from one reputable scouting service that doesn't question his ability to play LT.

Is he the best OT in the draft?

Until Oher declares, absolutely.

But that doesn't mean you use a Top 5 pick on him based on need, when there will be other guys that are not much of a dropoff available in the 2nd or 3rd.

Barry Richardson of Clemson is a great example.

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM

what really good pass rushers did he face ..... i'm talking dwight fweeney, Osi Umenyiora and Jared Allen type guys.

can he handle power guys?

Damn Laz, you were quicker than I was.

jiveturkey
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM

can he handle power guys?Are any of the options projected at the 5 spot really worth a 5 spot this year? It seems like we're picking at the top of an average draft.

The only guy that really seems to stand out near the 5 spot IMO is JAMES LAURINAITIS.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey you used my Barry Richardson example, props.

Pablo
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
...the best player available.

Mr. Laz
12-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Damn Laz, you were quicker than I was.
that's what she said :(

ChiTown
12-31-2007, 02:51 PM
If you're picking the kid Top 5, he better be a hell of a lot better than "effective."

He better be a brick ****ing wall.

Name one great DL he faced this year in the Big 10 not named Gholston.

I haven't read a report from one reputable scouting service that doesn't question his ability to play LT.

Is he the best OT in the draft?

Until Oher declares, absolutely.

But that doesn't mean you use a Top 5 pick on him based on need, when there will be other guys that are not much of a dropoff available in the 2nd or 3rd.

Barry Richardson of Clemson is a great example.

Some of you guys (including Laz) take things way too literal. Effective, as in can handle his competition, and can be effective in the system. If he can do that, he's damn worthy of a #5 pick. If he can protect the qb's blind side, he'd be doing 75% more than what our current LT does. If Oher comes out, I'd probably agree with you, but I haven't seen anything that suggest that quite yet.

Concerning the B10 competition, no, he didn't face any future all pro's. However, he consistently dominated what he had to face every week, which is what you ask for with any OLineman. I don't think the guy is Jesus Christ, but I think he'd fill a gaping hole at LT for many years to come. Is that worthy of a #5 pick, I'm guessing there's a difference in opinion concerning that ;)

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey you used my Barry Richardson example, props.

Because it's true.

I'd rather take someone like him in the 2nd and get a true difference maker in the 1st.

RedThat
12-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Chiefs best option is to trade down. Whats the purpose of "Re-building?" Not just focusing on 1 position. But, focusing on numerous positions which is what this team should be doing.

Im all for it. Get those extra draft picks. Possibly extra 2nd's, 3rd's, or hey, maybe another 1st for next year?

It doesn't matter where you draft, you just gotta draft well. That's the bottomline.

But I'd only trade down pending on the situation and on who is available? If Jake Long is available, or Glenn Dorsey at 5, it'd be tough to trade down. But iff those guys are gone, and Sedrick Ellis is still sitting there, maybe it would be a good idea to trade down to like 7th or 8th? And acquire extra picks? Just hopeful Ellis can last till 7th or 8th?

Mecca
12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Bah trading down, guess we don't need any real top end elite prospects to build around.

OnTheWarpath58
12-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Are any of the options projected at the 5 spot really worth a 5 spot this year? It seems like we're picking at the top of an average draft.

The only guy that really seems to stand out near the 5 spot IMO is JAMES LAURINAITIS.

Ain't that the truth. Not the greatest year to have a Top 5 pick.

I'm with you on Laurinaitis, and would be thrilled if they took him. Him and DJ would solidify the LB corp for the next 10 years.

If you want another chance to draft AJ Hawk, JL is the guy.

But Ellis would be a phenomenal pick as well, IMO.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 03:03 PM
If you want a LB that badly there are gonna be guys in the mid rounds I think will be excellent NFL players..

I think Xavier Adibi is gonna be a damn good NFL player and he won't go in the first round.

Micjones
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Jake Long if Ryan's off the board.

HolmeZz
12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Sedrick Ellis is the way I'm leaning.

Ebolapox
12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
sed ellis wouldn't hurt my feelings. neither would matt ryan or chris long

that said, it wouldn't shock me at all if we reached for some no name.

Micjones
12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Sedrick Ellis is the way I'm leaning.

I'd take Ellis IF:
Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, and Matt Ryan were off the board.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd take Ellis IF:

Take Ellis, get an OL in the second round. Lots of good OL prospects this year - Barry Richardson, Chris Williams, Tony Hills. They rate similar to Long more than Ellis and the third best DT.

HolmeZz
12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd take Ellis IF:

I'd take Ellis IF Dorsey was off the board.

Ellis is a better prospect than Jake Long and Matt Ryan. And I'm not sure he won't be better than Dorsey at the next level. His explosiveness is really attractive. Tommie Harris-like.

penchief
01-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Chiefs best option is to trade down. Whats the purpose of "Re-building?" Not just focusing on 1 position. But, focusing on numerous positions which is what this team should be doing.

Im all for it. Get those extra draft picks. Possibly extra 2nd's, 3rd's, or hey, maybe another 1st for next year?

It doesn't matter where you draft, you just gotta draft well. That's the bottomline.

But I'd only trade down pending on the situation and on who is available? If Jake Long is available, or Glenn Dorsey at 5, it'd be tough to trade down. But iff those guys are gone, and Sedrick Ellis is still sitting there, maybe it would be a good idea to trade down to like 7th or 8th? And acquire extra picks? Just hopeful Ellis can last till 7th or 8th?

This is exactly my thinking, too. My dream scenario would be for us to trade down in the first round to pick up an extra second and third. Then draft the the best player available (OL, DT, or CB) with the first rounder.

Then we'd have multiple picks in every round except the fourth. Drafting at the top of each round could make for a situation where the players we target are still there instead of being just out of reach. Plus, we've got the first pick in the fifth round to go along with our own. It's been a long time since we've had any kind of leverage in the draft.

This is the draft that makes or breaks Edwards, IMO. If he nails it, we could be on our way. If not, he could be on his way.

Micjones
01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
We're going to end up with either Long, Ryan or Ellis.

Can't be mad about that at all.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I think we need a poll.....

I'm down with BPA all the way. We aren't one or two players away from being a top team, so we need impact players anywhere we can find them.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
This is exactly my thinking, too. My dream scenario would be for us to trade down in the first round to pick up an extra second and third. Then draft the the best player available (OL, DT, or CB) with the first rounder.

I wouldn't mind trading down to the mid 1st round and picking someone like Michael Oher, Jeff Otah, or Malcolm Jenkins.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't mind trading down to the mid 1st round and picking someone like Michael Oher, Jeff Otah, or Malcolm Jenkins.

If Oher declares, you won't be getting him by trading down.

CoMoChief
01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
This is the perfect thread for the 35 second mark of this video........

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
If Oher declares, you won't be getting him by trading down.

You might be right.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
You might be right.

The shame of it is that it sounds like he's staying put.

jjchieffan
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Most mock drafts I have seen have the lambs taking Jake Long. A few have us taking Chris Long. One I saw said we would reach for USC OT Sam Baker.

Direckshun
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Off topic..

To counter Warpath and Mecca, Barry Richardson is falling like a rock with me. I thought he'd be a golden second round OT, but I think he's more suited for the third or fourth round. I like Loadholt or Purdue's Williams more as a second-rounder.

My ideal pick with the #5 would be Matt Ryan.

But if the Chiefs aren't going QB, and do intend to build around Croyle, I think the #5 should pick up Sedrick Ellis.

chiefbowe82
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
we should trade down and get two lineman and 1 lineman via FA, start waters and weigmann/niswanger-mcintosh, and crew can be rotation

chiefbowe82
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Off topic..

To counter Warpath and Mecca, Barry Richardson is falling like a rock with me. I thought he'd be a golden second round OT, but I think he's more suited for the third or fourth round. I like Loadholt or Purdue's Williams more as a second-rounder.

But if the Chiefs aren't going QB, and do intend to build around Croyle, I think the #5 should pick up Sedrick Ellis.

I think herm wants to wait on turk and tank

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Off topic..

Just curious, but why?

I didn't get to see his bowl game, so I don't know if he laid an egg.

I do like Williams from (I think you meant Vandy), but don't think Loadholt is in the same class as Otah, Richardson, Cherilus or even Tony Hills of Texas.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I think herm wants to wait on turk and tank

It would be horrible to pass on a difference maker at the position because of them...

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 03:09 PM
It would be horrible to pass on a difference maker at the position because of them...

I believe Herm knows (at least I hope) that Turk and are rotation guys

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I think it's quite possible that Oher will come out this year. He'd undoubtedly be a top five pick and that's not guaranteed in 2009 (plus the risk of injury). His draft stock will probably never be higher than now.

I also think that Sam Baker's stock will only plummet. He may go in the second round and as Mecca has pointed out, he's maxed out physically. I think it's very possible that he would be best suited as a left guard in the NFL where he could dominate for years to come at that position.

Coach Mac
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

Best feet of any lineman in the draft.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I think it's quite possible that Oher will come out this year. He'd undoubtedly be a top five pick and that's not guaranteed in 2009 (plus the risk of injury). His draft stock will probably never be higher than now.

I also think that Sam Baker's stock will only plummet. He may go in the second round and as Mecca has pointed out, he's maxed out physically. I think it's very possible that he would be best suited as a left guard in the NFL where he could dominate for years to come at that position.

I was really thinking that Oher would declare, especially after Ed Orgeron was fired. The fact that I'm hearing reports that he's truly undecided concern me.

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I was really thinking that Oher would declare, especially after Ed Orgeron was fired. The fact that I'm hearing reports that he's truly undecided concern me.

Yeah, I could see that. But once he's back in school and the NFL season has concluded, I think that he and his family will probably think otherwise. His draft stock will never be higher and he'd be taking a huge risk by waiting another year.

I guess we'll know by mid-February.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Well the Jets took a first round fullback and it appears we aspire to be like them now...

Roger Vick.

dj56dt58
01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
We're going to end up with either Long, Ryan or Ellis.

Can't be mad about that at all.
I would be. I want Jake Long..other that that **** it. We wont give a qb time to develop so why bother with Ryan, and any DT we draft will automatically suck.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
any DT we draft will automatically suck.

Like our WRs and RBs? flawed reasoning

StcChief
01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
You smokin dope .... a FB as first pick.

Braincase
01-01-2008, 06:51 PM

No way do I want Oher. He's a crack baby with the intellectual capacity of an acorn squash. I want the smartest, nastiest left tackle I can find. You coach all day, if the guy doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand an NFL offensive scheme, he's going to be a wasted draft pick. Other than the QB, your offensive linemen need to be the smartest guys on the team.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Our first round draft choice is playing right now.

Brandon Coutu, Georgia

doomy3
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
No way do I want Oher. He's a crack baby with the intellectual capacity of an acorn squash. I want the smartest, nastiest left tackle I can find. You coach all day, if the guy doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand an NFL offensive scheme, he's going to be a wasted draft pick. Other than the QB, your offensive linemen need to be the smartest guys on the team.

Do you know the guy or something?

Braincase
01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Do you know the guy or something?

All I know is what I read. I don't want a guy that required 20 hours a week of tutoring to get his GPA over a 1.0 so he could qualify to play HS ball.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
No way do I want Oher. He's a crack baby with the intellectual capacity of an acorn squash.

He's on the Dean's list, next knock?

doomy3
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM

pwned ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 07:01 PM
pwned ROFL

STFU n00b

Braincase
01-01-2008, 07:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher

Gimme a frickin' break about him making the Dean's List.

StcChief
01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
No way do I want Oher. He's a crack baby with the intellectual capacity of an acorn squash. I want the smartest, nastiest left tackle I can find. You coach all day, if the guy doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand an NFL offensive scheme, he's going to be a wasted draft pick. Other than the QB, your offensive linemen need to be the smartest guys on the team.agreed....
in general the wonderlic score here is very important.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
STFU n00b

LMAO Damn. I've never done that before. It actually works?

doomy3
01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
LMAO Damn. I've never done that before. It actually works?

Well yeah, of course it does. Afterall, you have been here 4 months longer than I have!!

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNOviL90YYc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNOviL90YYc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

watch it all the way through, like I said next knock

BigRock
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm with you on Laurinaitis, and would be thrilled if they took him. Him and DJ would solidify the LB corp for the next 10 years.
I think Laurinaitis will only move up the boards as the draft nears, so he might be an ideal pick at #5.

Not to delve off into fantasy land, but there has been the faintest scuttlebutt from the radio and internet message fora about interest in Lance Briggs. Apparently Erroneous Nick confirmed it, though, so who really knows. But Briggs is obviously an excellent Cover 2 LB and is young and ascending, which they say is the kind of FA Herm doesn't mind spending big bucks on.

It'll never happen, but DJ, Laurinaitis, and Briggs would be something to see on Sunday afternoons.

doomy3
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
This paints a very different picture of Oher than just being some dumb football player...

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/artsculture/the_other_big_mike/Content?oid=317555

It's a standing-room-only crowd odd, considering that the topic is pigskin, and there doesn't seem to be a single Monday Night Football fan in the bunch. But the book at hand isn't some retired NFL coach's soporific as-told-to. It's an absorbing look at the shifting priorities of the game, the business of the game, and, most strikingly, a hulking survivor of a Dickensian childhood who will soon be a football star.

At Mrs. Dalloway's bookstore in the Elmwood on a chilly Thursday night, dozens of people hang on every word as one local best-selling author Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma) interviews another, Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker, Moneyball). When Pollan isn't lobbing an occasional question or comment at his friend, though, he fades away, engrossed like everyone else.

You could brush past Lewis on the street and mistake him for the finance guy he used to be. But in person, and on the page, he'll hook you. His new book, The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (Norton, $24.95), charts the rise in prominence of the left tackle position in football and eyeballs college-football recruiting, but its true focus is University of Mississippi sophomore Michael Oher, a likely No. 1 NFL draft choice. Born to a crack-addicted mom in a Memphis housing project, Oher has lived a Cinderella story. This waif, though, stands six foot six and carries 350 pounds of muscle and bone.

Growing up in and out of foster homes, then homeless Lewis describes him as having been a "feral child" "Big Mike" was taken in by fast-food-joint mogul and former college-basketball star Sean Tuohy and his wife, Leigh Anne, after the youth was fortuitously enrolled in a private Christian school their daughter attended. Oher thought he would be a hoops legend, but a gridiron scout took one look at Oher and announced that his destiny was to protect a quarterback's blind side.

Left tackles have long been, as Lewis notes, "obscure, overweight, and not very good-looking." The "lumpen proles of the football world," as he describes them, have evolved over the past fifteen years from nearly anonymous NFL bit players into big earners: second only to QBs. And Oher is bound to be one of them.

Oher's story fascinated Lewis, he says, but the almost pathologically shy teenager stymied him. "I'm stuck with this character," he recalls telling himself, "and he's never going to say anything." Checking out Oher's old stomping grounds, he was told that if wealthy white folks hadn't whisked Big Mike off the streets, he'd likely have been recruited as a gang leader's security chief "the left tackle of the ghetto," as Lewis puts it and would likely have ended up not in a football jersey, but in a prison jumpsuit ... or under a medical examiner's sheet.

But the Tuohys stepped in, and Oher's charmed life began. They've been accused of capitalizing on his talent, but he was part of the otherwise white-bread family long before he ever stepped on the grid; they even included him in their Christmas-card photos without explanatory annotation.

He wasn't an instant sensation on his high-school team, which he joined only in his junior year. Illiterate, Oher rated below-average on IQ tests and sometimes had trouble remembering plays. "When he knew what he was supposed to do, though, the guy across from him was in trouble," says Lewis, who describes video footage of a rival team's defensive linemen hightailing it from Oher every time they heard "Hike!"

Big Mike dwarfed everyone else in his class, but he was dead last academically. His adoptive family took care of that, though: For Sean Tuohy not exactly the kind of guy who cracks open a book whenever he sinks into his La-Z-Boy "all of a sudden," Lewis says, "it's his job to read to his son." Oher's class standing soon inched up to 160 out of 161 students.

When Oher's intelligence was measured again, his score had risen thirty points, and today he's about to make the dean's list at Ole Miss: a distinction, Lewis quips, that "will probably trigger an investigation," considering that the twenty-year-old is still not exactly Rhodes scholarship material.

What motivated the Tuohys to shepherd a product of the projects? Initially, Leigh Anne Tuohy, who is essentially the heart of this story, was reticent about the topic, but Lewis reports that after a couple glasses of wine, she loosened up and said, "God gives people money as a test, and I'm going to pass it." She long ago rejected her father's bigotry, and has the same divine explanation about racism. The couple's focused philanthropy, Leigh Anne told Lewis, is not selfless. To her, it is simply a matter of "I'm going to heaven, and you're not."

When Oher decided where he wanted to go to college, though, the motivations of his adoptive parents became suspect: He picked Ole Miss, not exactly a football powerhouse and, incidentally, their alma mater. An investigation ensued into the deal that got him admitted, and controversy erupted over the rich white couple who had absorbed an athletically talented African-American kid into their home: "To some," Lewis adds, "it is entirely plausible that white families are collecting black children to play football."

Big Mike doesn't see it that way, though. To survive his horrific childhood, he fantasized that he was a star. And, Lewis told the crowd, he very nearly is.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Wow. Really forgiving guy.

Christ, the kid was all but discarded, didn't know how to read or write, but now sports an IQ of 120 and is on the Dean's List at Ole Miss.

He's so dumb that he abused every DE he's faced in the SEC.

That doesn't happen if you have the "intellectual capacity of an acorn squash." You have to be smart enough to handle line calls and understand the offense. Talent alone isn't enough.

To stand out as the premier LT in the SEC speaks to his physical talent as well as his abilty to learn.

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

Best feet of any lineman in the draft.
If we could land Lang & Clady in the first day, that would be an awesome combo...

Just out of curiousity, where is Clady ranked at? And he dominated the ECU big-time DE all game. Clady kicked his ass. I've watched him since he was a freshman, and he is the real deal

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Well yeah, of course it does. Afterall, you have been here 4 months longer than I have!!

Misread your join date. I thought you were an 07 planet baby. Anyways, as long as you know I was just ****in around.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
If we could land Lang & Clady in the first day, that would be an awesome combo...

Just out of curiousity, where is Clady ranked at? And he dominated the ECU big-time DE all game. Clady kicked his ass. I've watched him since he was a freshman, and he is the real deal

he got owned by Hawaii's speed rushers, I'll pass on him

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
he got owned by Hawaii's speed rushers, I'll pass on him
BS

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
BS

http://starbulletin.com/2007/11/25/sports/story02.html

1. Patek's sack and pick
The Setup: Boise State 0, Hawaii 0, 6:25 remaining, first quarter, Boise State ball, third and 20 at Hawaii 30.
The Play: QB Taylor Tharp is flushed from the pocket and throws the ball up for grabs. It goes right to S Jake Patek, who returns it to the Hawaii 26. The interception comes one play after Patek sacks Tharp for a 12-yard loss.
The Impact: Boise State had consumed the first 8:35 and marched to the Hawaii 18 on the game's first possession, but comes up empty.
Boise State coach Chris Petersen: "(Hawaii's defense is) physical. When they bring it, they bring it and mean it."

2. Not again
The Setup: Hawaii 13, Boise State 7, 14:12 remaining, second quarter, Hawaii setting up for PAT at Boise State 3.
The Play: Kyle Wilson bursts through the middle of the Hawaii line and blocks K Dan Kelly's extra-point try.
The Impact: Hawaii had just taken its first lead on QB Colt Brennan's 6-yard pass to SB Ryan Grice-Mullins, which also gave Brennan sole possession of the career TD passing record. The first of two blocks gives Boise State the momentum back and brings back bad memories for Hawaii of how special teams miscues against BSU cost it games in 2005 and 2006.
Hawaii coach June Jones: "Obviously, I was concerned about the special teams. It was a bad omen."

3. Let them eat cupcakes
The Setup: Hawaii 26, Boise State 24, around 9:30 remaining, third quarter, Boise State ball, second and 7 at Hawaii 19.
The Play: RB Jeremy Avery is crushed behind the line by LB Blaze Soares for a 4-yard loss.
The Impact: Tharp tries to scramble on third down and is blown up by LB Solomon Elimimian after a 4-yard gain. Boise State had been presented a golden opportunity with Dallas Dobbs' interception of Brennan's pass at the Hawaii 35, but must settle for Kyle Brotzman's 36-yard field goal for their final points and a 27-26 lead.
Soares: "(Mel Kiper) called us a cupcake defense. Well, how do you like these cupcakes? Have some for breakfast."

4. Beating the freshman
The Setup: Hawaii 32, Boise State 27, around :45 remaining, third quarter, Hawaii ball, first and 10 at Boise State 38.
The Play: WR C.J. Hawthorne shifts gears to accelerate away from CB Brandyn Thompson on a streak pattern. Brennan places the ball perfectly into Hawthorne's outstretched hands for his fifth TD pass of the game. Thompson is a freshman playing in place of starter Orlando Scandrick, out with a broken thumb from blocking a PAT.
The Impact: Hawaii makes it a 12-point game against a team it is dominating defensively. The momentum is amplified when Austin Smith bobbles the ensuing kickoff and Ryan Keomaka nails him at the Boise State 5.
Brennan: "I walked to the line and said, 'We've got a touchdown here, block it up. C.J., this is me and you.'"

5. D-line depth
The Setup: Hawaii 39, Boise State 27, 6:25 remaining, fourth quarter, Boise State ball, fourth and 7 at Hawaii 24.
The Play: DE John Fonoti beats star LT Ryan Clady and sacks Tharp for a 12-yard loss and fumble. DT Joshua Leonard recovers.
The Impact: The big play by two of Hawaii's backup defensive linemen emphasizes the team's depth up front. It also helps Hawaii ice the game by consuming the rest of the clock in 13 plays, finishing up inches from the Boise State goal line.
Defensive coordinator Greg McMackin: "We were more disciplined in the second half, but it came down to the players making plays

Braincase
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
OK, maybe I'm a little wrong about Oher. But if given the choice between him and another guy of similar talent that grew up in the 'burbs and if majoring in something other than "Recreation Science".

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
He got owned on that one play, but you can't possibly pass on a player that has that much ceiling because he lost on one down

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
He got owned on that one play, but you can't possibly pass on a player that has that much ceiling because he lost on one down

It was against Hawaii, and that play was in the 4th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 08:13 PM
It was against Hawaii, and that play was in the 4th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hawaii isn't a slouch team, and that play didn't really effect the outcome of the game

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Hawaii isn't a slouch team, and that play didn't really effect the outcome of the game

If it was against USC or any big name college I'd understand but he went up against a kid who'll probably never get drafted

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Hawaii's defense is nothing short of horrendous.

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Hawaii's defense is nothing short of horrendous.
Agreed there

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
they are getting their shit rocked right now, LOL

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 08:29 PM
If there was a year where drafting in the top five was not looked forward to, 2008 is it.

Sully
01-01-2008, 08:49 PM
He had a horrible game against Hawaii, it wasn't just that one play. That was my only time seeing him, and after that I couldn't figure out what the hype was about. He played better in the bowl game, but from what I saw, he certainly wasn't "dominant."

Priest4Prez
01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Dominant in the regular season except hawaii. Dominated in the bowl game. The ALL -Conference USA DE didn't even come close to touching tharp. to me that is dominating your opponent

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow. This is an exceptionally well-done article on Michael Oher. It's a really long read, but it's worth it.

This guy is Forrest Gump. Sometimes with guys like this, they know that they were put on earth to do one thing, and they become very good and reliable at doing it. The key with this guy is that he's going to need a handler, whether it's the Tuohy's or someone else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24football.html?ex=1316750400&en=e3741d62a638bb81&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow. This is an exceptionally well-done article on Michael Oher. It's a really long read, but it's worth it.

This guy is Forrest Gump. Sometimes with guys like this, they know that they were put on earth to do one thing, and they become very good and reliable at doing it. The key with this guy is that he's going to need a handler, whether it's the Tuohy's or someone else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24football.html?ex=1316750400&en=e3741d62a638bb81&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

If you have the time and interest, I'd highly recommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Evolution-Game/dp/0393330478/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199246302&sr=8-1

The article you posted was composed of excerpts of the book.

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Evolution-Game/dp/0393330478/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199246302&sr=8-1

I'll definitely pick it up. That article was riveting. I like this guy's writing style.

doomy3
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
There is actually a whole book about Michael Oher called "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game"

It's by Michael Lewis, the same author that wrote the two articles posted in this thread, one by me on page 6 nd the one Rain Man just posted. The more I read about Oher, the more I like him.

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Evolution-Game/dp/039306123X

doomy3
01-01-2008, 09:02 PM
woops, repost. Sorry! I was too busy cutting and pasting to see that Warpath had already posted the link

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Wow I have to give you credit Laz this guy is pretty damn good.

I think the Chiefs should definitely try to draft this guy

suds79
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
The FB looks pretty good.

Put me on the bandwagon if he's available in the 6th. ;)

You don't draft FBs higher than that. You really shouldn't even draft them.

Pablo
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
He's expected to go 4th or 5th round..Of course that was before this game. He might go early 4th, but prolly not. Don't we have like 5 picks in those two rounds anyhow?

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Agree

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
He's expected to go 4th or 5th round..Of course that was before this game. He might go early 4th, but prolly not. Don't we have like 5 picks in those two rounds anyhow?

Just doing a quick check we have a draft choice in each of the 7 rounds plus:

5th round
# Dolphins to Chiefs. Miami (conditionally) traded its fifth-round selection in 2008 to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for Trent Green. The selection would have become a fourth-round selection if Green had met certain performance criteria.

7th round
Giants to Chiefs. The New York Giants traded their seventh-round selection in 2008 to Kansas City for kicker Lawrence Tynes

Undisclosed

Buccaneers to Chiefs. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded two different undisclosed draft picks for 2008 to the Kansas City Chiefs for nose tackle Ryan Sims and running back Michael Bennett.

RJ
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick that up. If I enjoy it near as much as I did Moneyball it will be a good investment.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2008, 09:18 AM

Owen is a our meal ticket for the super bowl ...... well worth a 1st round pick.

a young jason dunn and mike Alstott rolled up into 1

Coogs
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM

I'm guessing if this guy is still available in the 4th round, he is going to be a Chief. Herm said several times during the season that a good FB is hard to come by. This guy is good, and we need a FB. I can see it. A couple of O-linemen on the first day and this guy in the 4th. That would go a long way towards fixing the offense too IMO. May take a year to all gel, but a good start none the less.

Halfcan
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Jets suck at the draft worse than us-lol