PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Set to Make Changes

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 07:17 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/715831.html

The Chiefs are ready to make some changes on the personnel side, but not in the front office. According to our source, Kansas City plans to make decisions on the coaching staff within the next 72 hours. What does not appear to be changing is the status of general manager Carl Peterson.

Some in the media predicted today would be black Monday out at Arrowhead, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The Chiefs have yet to make any final decisions on the coaching staff. Head coach Herm Edwards was not available to the media on Monday and isn’t likely to talk publicly about his coaching staff until Thursday’s press conference.

It’s been reported that one of those changes could include offensive coordinator Mike Solari, but according to our source that decision hasn’t been made. However, with the team suffering a 4-12 season and the offense finishing 31st, it’s likely the Solari domino could be the first to fall.

Right now there are several names being bantered about as potential replacements. Among the potential candidates to replace Solari are Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula (who was Brodie Croyle’s head coach at Alabama), UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price and former Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan. It’s quite possible this list could expand in the coming weeks.

Warpaint Illustrated has also learned that Carl Peterson will not be fired, as some outlets have reported. Team owner Clark Hunt won’t likely address the media until next week, but it appears he will not make a change at the top of the organization or with the head coach. Both Edwards and Peterson are under contract through the 2009 season.

According to our source, however, it appears that Edwards, Executive V.P. of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich and Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer will handle the decisions in regards to free agency and the NFL Draft.

Last year Peterson was not as active in the drafting process. Most of the recommendations made by Kuharich were executed on draft day. The Chiefs scouting department has been on their game the last two years as they’ve plucked nine starters out of the draft. That appears to be the direction this organization wants to go in rebuilding the team.

Right now the Chiefs have ten draft picks but hope to acquire more before April.

In other Chiefs News:

- CB Patrick Surtain - The Chiefs would like to retain Surtain, but according to our source he needs to restructure his contract in order to stay. The former Pro Bowl cornerback is scheduled to make $7.2 million in 2008, with a projected cap number of $9.5 million.

- 2008 Chiefs Schedule - The Chiefs will play home games against Buffalo, Tennessee, New Orleans, Miami and Tampa Bay next season, with road games against New England, the Jets, Cincinnati, Atlanta and Carolina. The AFC West opponents round out the 16-game schedule.

BigVE
12-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Callahan to KC would be hilarious...we could do worse though.

Deberg_1990
12-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Is there another GM in football who has had a longer tenure than Peterson without ever accomplishing anything?? Sigh.....

Archie Bunker
12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
:ZZZ:

Iowanian
12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
"According to our source, however, it appears that Edwards, Executive V.P. of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich and Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer will handle the decisions in regards to free agency and the NFL Draft."

Awesome. Let the dipshit that screwed up N.O as GM and let the Ricky Williams for the entire draft thing happen....run our "rebuild".

Crikey.

Bane
12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Callahan isnt a OC anyway,at best he is the beer boy.

craneref
12-31-2007, 07:27 PM
What about Billick of OC, I hear he is looking for a job! I know his offences were not that great with Baltimore, but then all the money went to the "D" and he did a nice job before as OC, it is what got him a head coaching job to begin with. GO CHIEFS!!

Deberg_1990
12-31-2007, 07:28 PM
What about Billick of OC, I hear he is looking for a job! I know his offences were not that great with Baltimore, but then all the money went to the "D" and he did a nice job before as OC, it is what got him a head coaching job to begin with. GO CHIEFS!!

Id take Billick over Herm any day of the week.

the Talking Can
12-31-2007, 07:29 PM
breaking news!

Carl is fired....

lol

T-post Tom
12-31-2007, 07:29 PM
$7.2 million in 2008?!?!?!?!? And that's just salary w/o the bonus hit? YIKES! Someone arrest that man for grand larceny.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
breaking news!

Carl is fired....

lol

Heh.

Calcountry
12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
breaking news!

Carl is fired....

lolRepost.

Skip Towne
12-31-2007, 07:36 PM
horrible, horrible write up. Basically speculation and conjecture.
Their writers are amateurs.

blueballs
12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Who they chose for OC will tell the tale
the right choice could heal some wounds
the wrong could open the floodgates of hell

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Awesome. Let the dipshit that screwed up N.O as GM and let the Ricky Williams for the entire draft thing happen....run our "rebuild".

I think ownership and Dikta forced that one.

BigRock
12-31-2007, 07:51 PM
The Ricky Williams thing was not Kuharich's doing. Dikita pushed for it and the owner signed off.

Priest4Prez
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Is there another GM in football who has had a longer tenure than Peterson without ever accomplishing anything?? Sigh.....
Matt Millen. And this article has no legitimate source.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Matt Millen. And this article has no legitimate source.

Actually it has a very legitimate source.

BigRock
12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Chiefs Set to Make Changes

The Chiefs are ready to make some changes on the personnel side, but not in the front office. According to our source, Kansas City plans to make decisions on the coaching staff within the next 24 hours.

The Chiefs have yet to make any final decisions on the coaching staff.

So... then... what changes are they "set to make" as the titles implies? This makes it sound like they haven't decided on anything.

Deberg_1990
12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Matt Millen.

I believe Matt Millen has only been a GM since 2001 or 2002? I said longer than Peterson.

Priest4Prez
12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Actually it has a very legitimate source.
We need names goddammit, not some speculation 4 christ sakes.

Priest4Prez
12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I believe Matt Millen has only been a GM since 2001 or 2002? I said longer than Peterson.
then i can't think of any shitty GM who has kept his job this long

Mecca
12-31-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not even sure you can say Millen has been worse..about the same.

kstater
12-31-2007, 08:06 PM
"Warpaint Illustrated has also learned that Carl Peterson will not be fired"

LMAO
Inside source tell you that one? Hell we knew that yesterday.

Easy 6
12-31-2007, 08:06 PM
I dont know what kind of philosophy he would bring, but its VERY hard to argue with the results Shula got out of Garrard...throw in his relationship & familiarity with Brodie & i could really get behind that hiring.

mikey23545
12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not even sure you can say Millen has been worse..about the same.

Millen's won-loss record = .276
Peterson's won-loss record = .572

God, you are a ****ing moron.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I dont know what kind of philosophy he would bring, but its VERY hard to argue with the results Shula got out of Garrard...throw in his relationship & familiarity with Brodie & i could really get behind that hiring.

I heard earlier this year that Shula wasn't Herm's first choice. The reasoning was amusing: Herm apparently thinks Shula is too conservative. I think Holthus' is correct in his statement that Herm wants an aggressive OC.

Mecca
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Millen's won-loss record = .276
Peterson's won-loss record = .572

God, you are a ****ing moron.

Look at the starting points when Millen took over........

Ah well nevermind that, it's another shot for Mikey to call someone stupid, that's all he contributes to the board these days. He has no opinion he just calls people names....good thing this board is lax many others would have banned you for that sorta thing.

el borracho
12-31-2007, 09:02 PM
"Right now the Chiefs have ten draft picks but hope to acquire more before April."

Haven't seen any comments on this, yet. Anyone have any idea who we could trade for picks?

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2007, 09:03 PM
F*CK IT, lets bring Towelie in as the new GM/HC

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQmKemHWRv0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQmKemHWRv0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Easy 6
12-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I heard earlier this year that Shula wasn't Herm's first choice. The reasoning was amusing: Herm apparently thinks Shula is too conservative. I think Holthus' is correct in his statement that Herm wants an aggressive OC.

The reasoning certainly IS amusing, if true, it sheds a different light on Herms desired approach.

By all means, lets be AGGRESSIVE.

craneref
12-31-2007, 09:14 PM
It is soundign like Cameron may be looking for a job soon. He is more agressive.

FloridaMan88
12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll sum up this waste of time Wargarbage Illustrated babble so others don't have to read it...

Basically the Chiefs are planning on making changes this offseason (as has been reported by every media outlet this side of Afghanistan for the past month)... but the changes probably won't include Dictator Carl or Herm (as was reported by the KC Star yesterday, summarized by an AP article today that was carried on most major sports media outlets).

And then this Wargarbage Illustrated "journalist" attempts to make it sound like he/she/it is in the know by prefacing everything with the tired "according to my sources" cliche and throws a bunch of shit against the wall regarding various rumors... hoping something sticks.

According to my sources this is is the passage that will haunt Warbage Illustrated forever...

WPI: You are very fortunate to have person like President Carl Peterson, who has spent 18 years with the organization. How much does that help you knowing you can trust someone else to get things done?

Skip Towne
12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
"Right now the Chiefs have ten draft picks but hope to acquire more before April."

Haven't seen any comments on this, yet. Anyone have any idea who we could trade for picks?
Maybe he means trade down in the draft to acquire more picks.

Bugeater
12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Dude is overrated as hell. He had one good year in Minny. Look at what he had to work with too: Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Jake Reed, Robert Smith, and a couple of perennial pro bowlers on the offensive line. Christ his kicker made every friggin' FG he tried all year except for one.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-31-2007, 09:43 PM
We need to get some guys in here that know what they're doing. Sadly we have no one that does.

BigRedChief
12-31-2007, 09:51 PM
if anyone actually went to the original article they would see it has a ? mark.
"chiefs set to make changes?"
Nick anthan article. he knows nothing. enough said.
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a12c5d74d7.jpg

looks like we are all insiders.
I told you guys that LJ's foot had a possible broken bone and had had an abnormal MRI when every local and national media outlet was saying it was an ankle sprain.

I told you Priest was done. Retiring again before any local or national media was reporting that fact.

I want my $100.00 bucks.

Your team lose's 9 games in a row. Lose 8 out of 10 games at Arrowhead in a year. Have a half empty stadium with fans wearing bags on their heads. Surprise there will be changes. Firing the OC is not a major change. Thats just finding a scapegoat.

cdcox
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM

So he hires Paul Hackett?

So he hires Jimmy Raye??

So he tunes down the Chiefs offense after one game in 2006 and again during the offseason???

Actions speak louder than words.

Herm wants agressive? He can't handle agressive!

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
So he hires Paul Hackett?

So he hires Jimmy Raye??

So he tunes down the Chiefs offense after one game in 2006 and again during the offseason???

Actions speak louder than words.

Herm wants agressive? He can't handle agressive!

It's quite amusing!

FAX
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Ms. Ultra Peanut set to post some crazy sh*t!!!

I have learned on good authority that Ms. Ultra Peanut will soon be preparing to post some really crazy sh*t but has not as yet decided what crazy sh*t to post if, in fact, Ms. Ultra Peanut actually does decide to post some crazy sh*t. Certain informed posters have also confirmed that, should Ms. Ultra Peanut post some crazy sh*t, Ms. Ultra Peanut will have planned such posts beforehand.

FAX

dirk digler
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Interesting article. I can't believe they want Surtain back he played horrible this year

Mecca
12-31-2007, 10:44 PM
It's the Chiefs way, use some vets to try to win a couple extra games.

dirk digler
12-31-2007, 10:49 PM
It's the Chiefs way, use some vets to try to win a couple extra games.

I don't think Surtain has made a meaningful play since we signed him

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't think Surtain has made a meaningful play since we signed him

Surtain made a meaningful play in his FIRST GAME.

But I agree, he is done.

dirk digler
12-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Surtain made a meaningful play in his FIRST GAME.

But I agree, he is done.

He did? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 10:57 PM
He did? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Picked off Pennington and ran it back about 40 yards. Got a concussion for his trouble.

This year he picked off Favre and Palmer.

Frazod
12-31-2007, 11:00 PM
It is soundign like Cameron may be looking for a job soon. He is more agressive.

Heh. Does this mean we'd get Green back? :D

Extra Point
12-31-2007, 11:01 PM
I think Holthus' is correct in his statement that Herm wants an aggressive OC.

Aggressive at what? Being hamstrung? Solari didn't have a leash. Herm had his wang tensioned with 30 lb Stren. That's why most shots showed Herm calm, with his hands behind his back. He just clapped on losses of downs to get his jollies.

el borracho
12-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Maybe he means trade down in the draft to acquire more picks.
Well, if they do that they had better be stealing from the trade partner. I will be pissed if they make any trade out of the top 5 that isn't ridiculously lopsided in our favor.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Carl and Herm are the biggest idiots in the history of the NFL if they plan to build around Croyle and do NOT hire Mike Shula.

This could be the magic bullet along with either McFadden or Jake Long at #1.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:06 PM

BINGO!!!!

Hammock Parties
12-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Shula also got 10 TD passes out of Quinn ****ing Gray.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Shula would also make Dewayne Bowe into the next Michael Irvin. I'm all for that!

Bottom line: unless this team opts for a high draft pick (Ryan/Brohm/Woodsen) or a pricey FA (McNabb/Anderson), the smartest thing they could do is hire Mike Shula NOW before some other smarter team grabs him up!!!!

ChiefFan31
12-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Ahhhhhh, Fook Mi

I did not catch that article on the Star last night. So Carl has already said that he and Herm are coming back next year. That is disheartening. But I am not suprised at all. If Clark actually fired him, I would have fell outta my chair.

Carl says he has a plan. It was his 'plan' that got us in this mess in the first place. What a jackass.

Also, what happened to his end of the year self evaluation process that goes on at the end of every year?? What a crock of shit. Sounds like he made the comment about staying right after the game.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
When did Holthus say Herm wanted an aggressive OC?

Mecca
01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
When did Holthus say Herm wanted an aggressive OC?

On Keitzman show today he was talking about how they need another player on the outside and he wants a power run game with playmakers on the outside and to be aggressive and score 24 a game or something to that extent..

I'll believe it when I see it honestly.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:21 AM
On Keitzman show today he was talking about how they need another player on the outside and he wants a power run game with playmakers on the outside and to be aggressive and score 24 a game or something to that extent..

I'll believe it when I see it honestly.
Yeah I don't believe it either.

Is there a thread devoted to what Holthus all said while on the show?

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 01:24 AM

I would have done the same thing last year though, after what happened to Green on opening day. Now this year different story, especially with an offseason.

cdcox
24 pts = aggressive ?

Mr. Flopnuts
Heh. Does this mean we'd get Green back? :D

No. Cam wants to bring Elvis in. :D

Hammock Parties
01-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Mitch's blog explains it:

WELCOME TO 2008...OR IS IT 1989....OR IS IT 1960....
Happy New Year and welcome to 2008. The year that sees the new beginning of the Kansas City Chiefs. The good news is that 2007 is over, and there has been much written and discussed how the Chiefs fell to 4-12. This blog looks to the future, 2008 and beyond.

The Chiefs are starting over. There is excitement to "building" a new team and a new approach. Most experts thought Lamar Hunt was an idiot when he started a new team and a new league in 1960. It took hard work and an investment of time, physical, financial and emotional effort. Yet, it was exciting to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. First, to build an AFL winner in Dallas. Secondly, to be the AFL represenative in Super Bowl I and to win a World Championship in Super Bowl IV.

There was excitement in 1989 when a new approach was brought to the Chiefs. The franchise had been to the playoffs only one time in seventeen years. The Chiefs hadn't won a playoff game since the 1969 Super Bowl victory. Arrowhead became a destination, a destination of victory. There was excitement when the Chiefs won a playoff game over the Raiders. There was even more excitement when the Chiefs beat Pittsburgh and Houston in the playoffs and lost to Buffalo in the AFC Championship game in 1993.

The win over Houston was this franchise's last playoff victory. It has been 14 seasons since that win. There could be a sense of despair in the Chiefs 4-12 season or there could be the same sense of excitement of starting over that was evident in 1960 or 1989 or.....2008.

This team will approach the off-season differently. The team will build through the draft and some prudent free agent purchases. The team wants to build a young, feisty defense that can replicate the defenses of the early 90's and the late 60's. That defensive philosophy needs to carry over to the special teams, which will improve with a better level of athlete throughout the roster.

The offense will be changed right away. It will be an offense that establishes a tough inside physical run game with a passing game that can be explosive outside the "numbers" on the field. It will be an offense that will strive to AVERAGE 24 points a game. It will be an offense that will replicate the Chiefs offenses of the late 60's and early 70's.

It is time to start over. There is some anticipation in doing so....just ask the fans of the Texans in 1960, and the Chiefs fans of 1963 and 1989.

I'LL SEE YOU AT ARROWHEAD! THE 2008 SEASON STARTS NOW!

Mecca
01-01-2008, 01:26 AM
24 pts = aggressive ?

Well that's a lot for us non arena teams.

cdcox
01-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I would have done the same thing last year though, after what happened to Green on opening day. Now this year different story, especially with an offseason.

If you believe in something you stick with it. Green goes down, you still believe in it and you move on. Herm doesn't believe in having an aggressive offense. He may like the idea of it, but he doesn't have the stomach for it. Do you think Herm could have survived TrINT in 2001 to ever see the 2002-2005 offense?

BigRock
01-01-2008, 01:28 AM
It will be an offense that will replicate the Chiefs offenses of the late 60's and early 70's.
Lenny Dawson for OC!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:29 AM
LOL Mitch is such a homer.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 01:29 AM
If you believe in something you stick with it. Green goes down, you still believe in it and you move on. Herm doesn't believe in having an aggressive offense. He may like the idea of it, but he doesn't have the stomach for it. Do you think Herm could have survived TrINT in 2001 to ever see the 2002-2005 offense?

I agree with you on Herm, but if I had Damon Huard as my QB and saw my all-pro QB carted off the field - I doubt I would be running the Greatest Show on Turf. It would make me want to pound LJ and TG.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Suprisenly this year 24 points a game would make you a Top 10 offense.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Of course Mitch is a homer, he's paid by the Chiefs.

cdcox
01-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Suprisenly this year 24 points a game would make you a Top 10 offense.

It's in the neighborhood of the Vikings and Steelers.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Actually between Pittsburgh/Seattle and Cincy.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2007&seasonType=REG

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:53 AM
I can't believe Herm.

Since when does a coach want to score JUST as certain number of points? Heck if I were coach I'd want to score as much as freakin' possible, and not just a certain number!!! This isn't 1950, Herm. Score, score and score some more. Playing arena ball got the Colts a Super Bowl trophy. We need to clean house once and for all at Arrowhead.

crossbow
01-01-2008, 01:54 AM

Maybe we can get another team to hire Herm from us. We could get compensation draft picks. We could sweeten the deal by throwing in Carl too. Wait, we would have to GIVE picks to pull that off.

Hammock Parties
01-01-2008, 01:55 AM
I can't believe Herm.

Since when does a coach want to score JUST as certain number of points? Heck if I were coach I'd want to score as much as freakin' possible, and not just a certain number!!! This isn't 1950, Herm. Score, score and score some more. Playing arena ball got the Colts a Super Bowl trophy. We need to clean house once and for all at Arrowhead.

He wants to AVERAGE 24 points a game.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:59 AM
He wants to AVERAGE 24 points a game.
Scoring a certain number, averaging a certain number, whatever! Just score as much as you possibly can!!! Don't play 13-10 Buc ball. Buc ball didn't win any Super Bowls.

Hammock Parties
01-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Scoring a certain number, averaging a certain number, whatever! Just score as much as you possibly can!!! Don't play 13-10 Buc ball. Buc ball didn't win any Super Bowls.

Averaging 24 would include scoring 30 in a few games and scoring 14 in a few games.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Averaging 24 would include scoring 30 in a few games and scoring 14 in a few games.

I know. Way to shoot for the moon, Herm.

I hate him.

I would love to keep him on as GM or director of personnel. I think he was made for a spot in the front office, not on the field. He embarrasses himself on the field. He's not a good coach at all.

Micjones
01-01-2008, 04:30 AM
If he can learn to get out of his own way and find competent Coordinators he might be alright.

Ugly Duck
01-01-2008, 06:15 AM
What does not appear to be changing is the status of general manager Carl Peterson.

"We have a plan and it's being implemented," the Chiefs president and general manager told The Associated Press Monday in a telephone interview from his office at Arrowhead Stadium. "I have no intention to leave before the job is finished."

"We're devastated. But we are not discouraged," Peterson said Monday. "We know where we're going and what we're going to do."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3174855