PDA

View Full Version : Official Hire Mike Shula Thread

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Shula coached Brodie at Alabama. He helped propel the average-talent Jags QBs into an intimidating 12-4 team this year, including QBs David Garrard and Quinn Gray.

If we offer Shula an OC job, he knows all about Brodie Croyle having been his head coach. This saves the Chiefs a draft pick at #1 and allows us to win the Jake Long Sweepstakes or the Darren McFadden sweepstakes or ___________________________ sweepstakes.

Bottom line: Jax scored over 400 points this year and hiring Mike Shula JUST MAKES SENSE!!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!
KCJ
:arrow:

Extra Point
12-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Shula is too good for this team.

J Diddy
12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Shula is too good for this team.

you're right we should just keep solari

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Dirk Koetter orchestrated the Jaguars offense, not Shula.

Coach
12-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Great, let's get a college coach, who can coach this team to a 3-10 season, and quit on the team by leaving notes on their lockers, that he's taking a job for the Davenport for the Dumb, Blind, and Stupid.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Its Shula or ?????

Right now, Shula looks pretty good vs ?????

Let's face it kids, if Brodie is the QBotF, the smart money is on Shula and a strangling defense.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
12-31-2007, 11:43 PM
You're telling me Dick Curl can't save Brodie?

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:45 PM
You're telling me Dick Curl can't save Brodie?

I'm telling you Mike Shula + Brodie and an improved OL = siginificant improvement without costing this team a #1 draft pick (Jake Long or Darren McFadden). This is really a no-brainer when you think about it....

Woodrow Call
12-31-2007, 11:47 PM
His offenses in Tampa weren't exactly powerhouses but Herm wants his Buc Ball.

KCJohnny
12-31-2007, 11:49 PM
His offenses in Tampa weren't exactly powerhouses but Herm wants his Buc Ball.

Exactly. Herm's offensives are mediocre at best. As of now, we are looking up at mediocrity. Shula gives this team the best chance at advancement.

Its either this or rip-it-out-by-the-roots and draft Ryan/Brohm/Woodsen.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok just got home, so im really drunk, did we officially fire solari.

Woodrow Call
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok just got home, so im really drunk, did we officially fire solari.

not yet....

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Ok just got home, so im really drunk, did we officially fire solari.not that happy of a new year

Mr. Arrowhead
01-01-2008, 12:01 AM
not that happy of a new year
****, ****, ****, and
oh yea
**** YOU CARL!!!

BigRock
01-01-2008, 12:31 AM
How about we offer Shula a raise and some kind of bogus title to come over and be the QB coach? He doesn't need to run the offense.

Dick Curl can be repositioned as Assistant To the Regional Manager.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Great, let's get a college coach, who can coach this team to a 3-10 season, and quit on the team by leaving notes on their lockers, that he's taking a job for the Davenport for the Dumb, Blind, and Stupid.

Shula is more NFL than college. He was OC for the Bucs and now the Jags QB coach. Little different than Petrino.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Shula is more NFL than college. He was OC for the Bucs and now the Jags QB coach. Little different than Petrino.
The Jags scored over 400 points this season. That is with a devastating rushing attack of Taylor/Drew-Jones. Do you think that is lost on Herm with LJ and Kolby in his backfield?

Shula makes ultimate sense.

Somebody call One Arrowhead Drive and petition for the obvious.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't have much problem with this idea. But I'd wait for Cam Cameron first. Don't forget he made Marty's 'O' prolific.

Chiefs_5627
01-01-2008, 01:23 AM
The Jags scored over 400 points this season. That is with a devastating rushing attack of Taylor/Drew-Jones. Do you think that is lost on Herm with LJ and Kolby in his backfield?

Shula makes ultimate sense.

Somebody call One Arrowhead Drive and petition for the obvious.

An offensive coordinator typically refers to the coach on a football team in the National Football League or College football who is in charge of the offense. This position aids the head coach by designing and scripting plays, delegating work to offensive position coaches during practices and games, thereby allowing the head coach to focus on overall play and more important issues during games and practice sessions.

In the NFL, an offense coordinator usually has several assistant coaches working under him: a quarterbacks coach, a running backs coach, a wide receivers coach, a tight ends coach, an offensive line coach, and a quality control coach. At lower levels an offensive coordinator may also coach some of these positions, or an assistant coach might be responsible for more than one position. Many offensive coordinators in the NFL call the offensive plays during games, but some head coaches prefer to assume that duty themselves. This often depends on whether the head coach comes from an offensive or defensive background.

Similarly, there is the defensive coordinator who is in charge of the defense

SDChief
01-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I think whoever they bring in, Dick Curl needs to get the hell away from the QBs. If Herm needs him there to look at the clock or whatever, OK, but get the hell away from the QB's. In my perfect world he would be on the short bus with Solari and the special teams coach ( his name escapes me right now)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Official no thanks post

Bump
01-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Carl gave up a draft pick for Herm, so....you know what that means right? he's here to stay as long as Carl is here.

Damn it sucks being a chiefs fan, but hey...if we ever win the big one we can say we are not bandwagoneers

Frankie
01-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Carl gave up a draft pick for Herm, so....you know what that means right? he's here to stay as long as Carl is here.

Damn it sucks being a chiefs fan, but hey...if we ever win the big one we can say we are not bandwagoneers
I wonder who the Jets drafted with that pick?

Chiefs_5627
01-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I wonder who the Jets drafted with that pick?

Leon Washington, i believe.

J Diddy
01-01-2008, 03:04 AM
I think whoever they bring in, Dick Curl needs to get the hell away from the QBs. If Herm needs him there to look at the clock or whatever, OK, but get the hell away from the QB's. In my perfect world he would be on the short bus with Solari and the special teams coach ( his name escapes me right now)
prier

Zeke Ziggle
01-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Leon Washington, i believe.
Wow we got Herm as well as the added bonus of having Eddie Drummond returning kicks. Say what you will about Carl but boy did he screw the jets on that.

Micjones
01-01-2008, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't jump out of the window if we hired Shula to take over for Solari, but I'd rather have Cam Cameron.

Ultra Peanut
01-01-2008, 04:15 AM
I am a wall,
and my breasts are like towers.
Thus I have become in his eyes
like one bringing contentment.

BigRock
01-01-2008, 04:45 AM
Shula has nothing to do with how many points they scored. He has nothing to do with the RB duo of Taylor and Jones-Drew. He's the QB coach, he's not calling the plays.

And the chances that Jacksonville's OC is running the legendary Mike Shula offense are about 30 million to 1, so nothing they are doing there offensively would translate to us if we hired him.

Ugly Duck
01-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Official Hire Mike Shula Thread

How about an Official Hire Brian Billick & Rex Ryan thread?

Billick & his entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, was canned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3175037

blueballs
01-01-2008, 08:43 AM
They just spent two years trying to break in a new OC
it backfired and you want them to try it again- NO
This will be Herm's third year - he ain't getting a Peterson contract extension

RP_McMurphy
01-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Ok what Shula and Dirk Koetter have done as Jaguars QB coach and Offensive Coordinator is recognize the identity of the Jaguars. Jaguars are still and foremost a great running team with a good passing game. They have let teams put 9 in the box and exploited the one on one coverages against the Jaguars receivers. To do this you have to have a viable running game and a offensive line that can buy you time with 9 coming at you. At this point the Chiefs can't even stop 4 down lineman so they 9 is out of the question. What the Chiefs need at this point is 2-3 good drafts filled with quality offensive lineman.

milkman
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
How about an Official Hire Brian Billick & Rex Ryan thread?

Billick & his entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, was canned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3175037

Can we fire Gunt and hire Rex Ryan?

King_Chief_Fan
01-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Dick Curl will be the next OC. Herm doesn't want an offense that can score points.

FAX
01-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Perhaps that KK guy is not the obtuse tool I have thought him to be, peeps.

Apparently, a monkey with a "run banana" and a "pass banana" could replace Solari at this point. And, aside from the vet bills, monkeys are pretty cheap hires.

FAX

blueballs
01-01-2008, 09:14 AM
monkey poop will stick to a wall

Guru
01-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Didn't Shula already fail miserably as a coach in this league once before.

shaneo69
01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
He was my pick as QB coach last year, but I don't want him as OC. If Herm passed on him last year in favor of Curl, what makes you think he'll hire him this year?

He's never had any success as OC in the NFL.

scott free
01-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to claim that Shula could be a sure-fire success here, outside of his work in Jax his record is spotty at best.

But people DO grow better at their jobs often times, most people DO learn from their mistakes...i certainly think we could do worse than bringing him in.

What exactly did Norm Chow accomplish in the NFL before going to the Titans??? Seems to me he's doing just fine right about now. I'm willing to bet that his familiarity with Young is one of the main factors in his success.

I'd be fine with Shula or Cameron, just do SOMETHING.

shaneo69
01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm not going to claim that Shula could be a sure-fire success here, outside of his work in Jax his record is spotty at best.

But people DO grow better at their jobs often times, most people DO learn from their mistakes...i certainly think we could do worse than bringing him in.

What exactly did Norm Chow accomplish in the NFL before going to the Titans??? Seems to me he's doing just fine right about now. I'm willing to bet that his familiarity with Young is one of the main factors in his success.

I'd be fine with Shula or Cameron, just do SOMETHING.

At least Chow had college success, more than Shula did. And Chow didn't have any familiarity with Young when they drafted him.

scott free
01-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Chow didn't have any familiarity with Young when they drafted him.

:doh!:

Not sure where i came up with that lol.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The Jags scored over 400 points this season. That is with a devastating rushing attack of Taylor/Drew-Jones.
You mean "devistating." Don't forget you are posting on Chiefs Planet, KCJ. We have a reputation to protect.

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Its Shula or ?????

Right now, Shula looks pretty good vs ?????

Let's face it kids, if Brodie is the QBotF, the smart money is on Shula and a strangling defense.

Shula is an awful offensive coordinator. Period. His Tampa Bay teams were absolutely pathetic offensively and he was ultimately fired. He did NOTHING to improve Trent Dilfer or Shaun King or whoever he was given. Additionally, he was FIRED at Alabama.

Dirk Koetter, the former Boise State and Arizona State head coach is the man orchestrating Jacksonville's offensive. NOT Shula.

No. F*cking. Thank you.

DTLB58
01-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Didn't Shula already fail miserably as a coach in this league once before.

And so did Belichick in Cleveland!

Just saying like one of the othe posters mentioned, people do learn,grow and improve as they gain more expirence in other jobs.

Failure is the opportunity to begin again with more intelligence-Henry Ford.

chagrin
01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
This is by far, the dumbest idea yet.

ChiefButthurt
01-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm of the opinion....where do you start with this team?

So many holes, so little to work with....

Fifth selection in the draft and they'll piss it away.....

Bad coach....

Lamar Hunt has passed......

No one in management accepts responsibility OR gives a rats ass.....

I could go on until my fingers bleed...

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
The Bucs finished NO HIGHER than 22nd in total offense during Shula's time as offensive coordinator there... he was the "architect" of boring, ultra-conservative football.

Why exactly do people want him in KC?

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
The Bucs finished NO HIGHER than 22nd in total offense during Shula's time as offensive coordinator there... he was the "architect" of boring, ultra-conservative football.

Why exactly do people want him in KC?

Because the people that are advocating the hire of Mike Shula don't know anything about him, nor have they researched his past.

I freaking swear, for some reason, a large portion of Planeteers don't even know Google exists. :eek:

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I decided to do some more in depth research to actually show those who are yearning for Mike Shula to be offensive coordinator what exactly they would be getting if he was to be hired.

These are the final offensive statistics for the Bucs' offense during Shula's 4 seasons as their offensive coordinator from 1996-1999.

1996:
Total offense ypg: 269.8 ypg (28th out of 30 teams)
passing ypg: 170.4 ypg (29th out of 30 teams)
rushing ypg: 99.3 ypg (22nd out of 30 teams)
Points scored per game: 13.8 ppg (30th out 30 teams)

1997:
Total offense ypg: 273.5 ypg (29th out of 30 teams)
passing ypg: 152.6 ypg (30th out of 30 teams)
rushing ypg: 120.9 ypg (11th out of 30 teams)
Points scored per game: 18.8 ppg (23rd out of 30 teams)

1998:
Total offense ypg: 297.1 (22nd out of 30 teams)
passing ypg: 162.9 (27th out of 30 teams)
rushing ypg: 134.2 ypg (4th out of 30 teams)
Points scored per game: 19.6 ppg (18th out of 30 teams)

1999:
Total offense ypg: 265.9 ypg (28th out of 31 teams)
passing ypg: 154.9 ypg (30th out of 31 teams)
rushing ypg: 111.0 ypg (15th out of 31 teams)
Points scored per game: 16.9 ypg (27th out of 31 teams)

After looking at those #'s that reflect Shula's ONLY previous experience as an NFL offensive coordinator why would anyone in their right mind want him coordinating an NFL offense?

Sully
01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Would he move Kris Wilson to RB.

StcChief
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
anybody except Curl and Slowari

Brock
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
And so did Belichick in Cleveland!

Just saying like one of the othe posters mentioned, people do learn,grow and improve as they gain more expirence in other jobs.

Failure is the opportunity to begin again with more intelligence-Henry Ford.

Belichick didn't suck in Cleveland. He was doing a pretty good job when the rug was jerked out from under him. Shula, not so much.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm still wondering why some people want Shula as our OC. That's insane.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, we are conveniently leaving out some key details in Shula's career. I have highlighted some of them. It is disingenuous IMO to pin the Buccaneers' low numbers on Shula. That is 100% Dungy who (wisely) kept the entire Indy staff and personnel he inherited (message: I don't do offense, and this one is red hot). Same with Wannestadt - not exactly a juggernaut offensive HC. Both Dungy and Wannestadt kept their Os on a leash preferring BucBall to a wider-open offense. I do not believe Croyle could have shattered the Alabama passing records playing BucBall in the NCAA.

This suggestion is predicated on 2 variables: (1) Solari is let go, and (2) Croyle is designated the QBotF. If those 2 things happen, I think this makes great sense. Young Shula has a ton of NFL experience, developed 2 quality QBs in Jax, has served as an OC on a playoff team before, and shares a ton of history with Mr. Croyle.

If the Chiefs FO elects to draft a QB, then this may not make quite as much sense. But again, the low output in TB was Dungy's signature, not Shula's.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/Coach.aspx?id=2696
Mike Shula
Quarterbacks

Mike Shula is in his first season as the Jaguars' quarterbacks coach. Shula has 19 years of coaching experience, 15 years in the NFL, and has spent the last four seasons as head coach at Alabama.

Shula, who finished with a 26-23 mark in four seasons at Alabama, led the Crimson Tide to three consecutive bowl games including a 10-2 mark and invitation to the Cotton Bowl in 2005. Shula played a major role in the development of quarterback Brodie Croyle at Alabama. Croyle holds the school's career record for pass attempts, completions and yards. He set the school's single-season record with 2,499 passing yards in 2005 and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round of the 2006 draft.

Prior to becoming a head coach, Shula spent three seasons as quarterback coach for the Miami Dolphins from 2000-02 under Dave Wannstedt. It was Shula's second stint with Miami as he spent two seasons (1991-92) as a Dolphins coaching assistant. Quarterback Jay Fiedler compiled a 21-10 record as a starter during Shula's tenure as Miami's quarterback coach. Fiedler became just the second quarterback in team history to surpass the 3,000-yard passing mark in 2002. He finished with a 60.7 completion percentage, the highest by a Dolphin since 1995.

Shula served four seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996-99 under head coach Tony Dungy. The Buccaneers qualified for the playoffs in two of Shula's four seasons and in 1999 won the NFC Central Division and reached the NFC Championship game.

Shula began his NFL coaching career as offensive assistant for the Buccaneers from 1988-89 and spent the 1990 season as quarterbacks coach. He also spent time as tight ends coach for the Chicago Bears under Wannstedt from 1993-95.

Shula was a three-year letterman (1984-86) at quarterback for Alabama. and finished his career with a 32-15-1 record as a starter. He was a 12th-round pick of Tampa Bay in 1987 and remained on the roster for part of the 1987 season. He earned his bachelor's degree in labor relations in 1987. He is the son of former Miami Dolphins head coach Don Shula (1970-95), the winningest coach in NFL history, and brother of former Cincinnati Bengals head coach Dave Shula (1992-96).

Shula, 42, and his wife, Shari, have three daughters, Samantha,Brooke and Ryan.

BACKGROUND
Miami Dolphins 1991-92, Chicago Bears 1993-95, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1996-99, Miami Dolphins 2000-02, Alabama (head coach) 2003-06, Jacksonville Jaguars 2007

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
[size=1]Both Dungy and Wannestadt kept their Os on a leash preferring BucBall to a wider-open offense.

And Herm would do the same thing to Shula in KC.

The Chiefs need an offensive coordinator with a history of coordinating an aggressive, wide-open offense and that isn't Shula.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd be way happier if he were brought in as the QB coach, given his familiarity with Croyle. But I think we should really go after Cameron for OC.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
And Herm would do the same thing to Shula in KC.

The Chiefs need an offensive coordinator with a history of coordinating an aggressive, wide-open offense and that isn't Shula.

Mike Martz himself would not be given a blank check here. The HC sets the tenor of his offense. I think Herm realizes he needs more juice on offense. He also has to develop that young QB. Say what you want, Shula has an excellent record developing QBs.

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
[size=1]
Shula served four seasons as offensive coordinator with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996-99 under head coach Tony Dungy. The Buccaneers qualified for the playoffs in two of Shula's four seasons and in 1999 won the NFC Central Division and reached the NFC Championship game.

Did you watch the Bucs during that time-frame at all? Their success was not because of Shula and the Bucs miserable offense... it was because of their defense. In fact the reason the Bucs failed in the playoffs during those years was because of their offensive shortcomings. That is why Shula was fired after the 1999 season.

Of course you won't find that in the puff-piece bio you are copy and pasting from the Jacksonville Jaguars website.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd be way happier if he were brought in as the QB coach, given his familiarity with Croyle. But I think we should really go after Cameron for OC.

I think we all know Cam would not want to work for Herm. Good idea, but how plausible?

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Say what you want, Shula has an excellent record developing QBs.

Based on what? What QBs has Shula developed into great NFL QBs?

And don't you dare say Jay Fiedler

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Did you watch the Bucs during that time-frame at all? Their success was not because of Shula and the Bucs miserable offense... it was because of their defense. In fact the reason the Bucs failed in the playoffs during those years was because of their offensive shortcomings. That is why Shula was fired after the 1999 season.

Of course you won't find that in the puff-piece bio you are copy and pasting from the Jacksonville Jaguars website.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the Bucs during that era. That's how I know it was all Dungy, not Shula. Dungy was behind the throttling of that O, and like other teams we have recently observed, they built up one side of the ball at the expense of the other.

DTLB58
01-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Belichick didn't suck in Cleveland. He was doing a pretty good job when the rug was jerked out from under him. Shula, not so much.

I am currently reading "The education of a coach" about Belichick and it refers to something about what you said in this book, that he wasn't doing such a terrible job. But they didn't get specific so I'm not sure exactly what you or the author is referring to there.

I guess just remembering back I couldn't recall him being that succesful W-L wise and that's why I posted what I did.

Bill was there from 1991-1995

1991-6-10
1992 7-9
1993 7-9
1994 11-5
1995 5-11

Overall regular season record in 5 season 36-44, 1 playoff season 1-1 in the postseason.
0 Division titles, 1 wild card spot.

If this is close to Herm's 5 year resume in KC will it be of the opinion of Chiefs fans that he "failed miserably" or in your words "sucked"?
If 4-12 sucks 5-11 can't be far behind.

Seems to me he was given a fair chance at a 5 year plan with the Browns (as fair as it could have been considering the state of that franchise an owner at that time) and after losing 6 more games in 95 after the improvement in 94 and with 3 prior losing season before that most owners would have made the change also.

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, I am quite familiar with the Bucs during that era. That's how I know it was all Dungy, not Shula. Dungy was behind the throttling of that O, and like other teams we have recently observed, they built up one side of the ball at the expense of the other.

Ah yes it was all Dungy holding back the "great offensive mind" that is Mike Shula. What makes you think Herm wouldn't do the same to Shula? Herm is even more conservative than Dungy.

cdcox
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Has Shula ever run the Denver zone-blocking, leg whipping, chop blocking, bootleg offense? Cause all rumors point to us running that next year. If he hasn't we aren't going to hire Shula as OC.

Brock
01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Bill was there from 1991-1995

1991-6-10
1992 7-9
1993 7-9
1994 11-5
1995 5-11

What you fail to note is that the last season there, Modell announced the team was moving on Nov. 6. At that point, the team was 4-4, and of course went into the tank after that. In any case, the Shula comparison doesn't work.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Ah yes it was all Dungy holding back the "great offensive mind" that is Mike Shula. What makes you think Herm wouldn't do the same to Shula? Herm is even more conservative than Dungy.

Look, this is wild conjecture on my part.
That's all. No inside scoop (send me Jay Glazer's email addy and I'll get the skinny).

To answer your question, Herm is desperate for offense and Croyle is his guy. Seeing Shula is a TB guy from Dungy's tree gives Herm a comfort level. Shula got outstanding offensive production from Croyle in a passing offense at 'Bama. Like I said if KC takes Brohm/Ryan/Woodsen, all bet are off. If they want to develop Croyle, Shula just makes sense.

FWIW, the Chiefs attempted 40+ passes at least 3 times this year, so I don't know why you are so bent on Herm the conservative. Any coach worth their salt wants to be able to run the ball with authority - and we stunk this season.

the other variable in play is that is Solari goes, my guess is that the Coryell O goes with him. That means a whole new system. If Croyle is the QBotF, Herm should bring in a Croyle-friendly system and who knows that better than Shula? Just my $.02.

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
More "gaudy" numbers from Mike Shula's offense... this time his offenses at Alabama.

2003:
Points scored per game: 25.5 ppg (69th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Passing yards per game: 191.6 ypg (85th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Rushing yards per game: 159.0 ypg (54th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 366.1 ypg (81st out of 117 Division IA teams)

2004:
Points scored per game: 24.6 ppg (tied-64th out 117 Division IA teams)
Passing yards per game: 141.6 ypg (112th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Rushing yards per game: 185.1 ypg (26th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 336.6 ypg (94th out of 117 Division IA teams)

2005:
Points scored per game: 21.9 ppg (86th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Passing yards per game: 216.4 ypg (69th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Rushing yards per game: 142.5 ypg (65th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 379.7 ypg (67th out of 119 Division IA teams)

2006:
Points scored per game: 22.9 ppg (68th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Passing yards per game: 212.8 ypg (49th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Rushing yards per game: 123.1 ypg (77th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 351.6 ypg (65th out of 119 Division IA teams)

Pretty mediocre #'s overall for a supposed "offensive genius"... which is probably why he was fired by his alma mater after just 4 seasons.

Manila-Chief
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I about to shouted ... NO way!!! Coz I though Johnny was suggesting him as our coach. My son graduated from Bama and there was a big reclamo to get rid of him.

I think there is no way for it to happen without giving up draft choices but having him as QB coach would be an excellent idea... for the reasons Johnny mentioned. He would be 100% better than what we have... but, then most any one would be.

I'm not sure about him being our OC? But, then again ... as long as Herm is coach it doesn't matter. He doesn't want a real offense and he will put brakes on any OC. Of the 2 ... I'd rather have Cam but again ... it will not work under Herm. I think we are doomed until Carl/Herm and all assistants hit the road.

KCJohnny
01-01-2008, 09:17 PM
More "gaudy" numbers from Mike Shula's offense... this time his offenses at Alabama.

2003:
Points scored per game: 25.5 ppg (69th out of 117 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 366.1 ypg (81st out of 117 Division IA teams)

2004:
Points scored per game: 24.6 ppg (tied-64th out 117 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 336.6 ypg (94th out of 117 Division IA teams)

2005:
Points scored per game: 21.9 ppg (86th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 379.7 ypg (67th out of 119 Division IA teams)

2006:
Points scored per game: 22.9 ppg (68th out of 119 Division IA teams)
Total yards per game: 351.6 ypg (65th out of 119 Division IA teams)

Pretty mediocre #'s overall for a supposed "offensive genius"... which is probably why he was fired by his alma mater after just 4 seasons.Please quote me where I suggested he was a genius. The point is, if Croyle is going to be the QBoTF, he's gonna need an OC that can get the most from him. I'm not the one who drafted Croyle, nor do i believe he is the long term solution as of now. But if he is here and there will be a new O system installed, its a lot smarter to acquire an OC that can get the most of Croyle's raw talent.

I will also concede that those numbers are rather bland and it makes me wonder why we picked Croyle at all.

Sully
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Remember when Dungy was the head coach of Tampa, and their offense was so bad that after a year of carrying his water the GM forced him to fire his OC?

That was Shula.

No thanks.

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 04:58 AM
Remember when Dungy was the head coach of Tampa, and their offense was so bad that after a year of carrying his water the GM forced him to fire his OC?

That was Shula.

No thanks.
Moot point.

It will be Bates.

Guru
01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Moot point.

It will be Bates.
Everyone is talking about Bates. I have never heard word one about him until last night. Is the bootleg and zone blocking the only thing that he brings to the table?

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Everyone is talking about Bates. I have never heard word one about him until last night. Is the bootleg and zone blocking the only thing that he brings to the table?
He's a hot shot young coach
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Staff%20Photos/Bates_mug_06.jpg
Jeremy Bates enters his second season on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in 2007 and his first year as the club’s wide receivers/quarterbacks coach. Bates has five years of NFL coaching experience and was quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets (2005) and an assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-04) before serving as the Broncos’ offensive assistant in 2006.

In his first year with the Broncos during the 2006 season, Bates was an offensive assistant and worked with Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison in coaching the offensive line. The Broncos were one of only three teams in the NFL to have two running backs post at least 670 rushing yards with Tatum Bell (1,025 yds.) and undrafted rookie Mike Bell (677 yds.) both enjoying productive seasons.

As quarterbacks coach for the Jets in 2005, Bates instructed a unit that was forced to use five different passers because of injuries. Despite the adversity, New York’s quarterbacks helped the club improve toward the end of the year with first-year starter Brooks Bollinger posting an 87.7 passer rating and leading the team to a 2-2 record in its final four games.

Bates, 31, was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers in 2004 and worked closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop in the instruction and preparation of the team’s passers. In that capacity, Bates helped Brian Griese lead the NFL in completion percentage (69.3%) in 2004 and set Buccaneers single-season records in that category along with passer rating (97.5) and yards per passing attempt (7.83).

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay as an offensive quality control coach from 2002-03.
Tampa Bay’s offense in 2003 was arguably the most productive in franchise history as Bates assisted a unit that set single-season records in total offense (340.8 ypg.) and passing offense (237.8 ypg.). In addition, the club ranked among the league’s top 10 in both categories in the same year for just the second time in Buccaneers annals.

In his first season in the NFL’s coaching ranks, Bates worked with a Buccaneers offense in 2002 that was pivotal in the franchise winning its first-ever World Championship with a victory over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. Tampa Bay’s offense was particularly dominant in the postseason, averaging 35.3 points and 334.0 yards per game in three playoff contests that year.

Bates, who attended Sevier County High School in Sevierville, Tenn., began his collegiate playing career as a quarterback at the University of Tennessee in 1995. He transferred to Rice University, where he was a two-year letterman in football from 1996-99 and was a second baseman on the school’s baseball team.
Bates’ father, Jim, is in his first season as the Broncos’ assistant head coach/defense. His brother, James, was a linebacker and defensive captain on the University of Florida’s 1996 national championship team and does television play-by-play for the Mountain West Sports Network.

Jeremy Bates was born Aug. 27, 1976, in Manhattan, Kan.
Coaching Experience: 5th NFL Season (1st with Broncos)
Denver Broncos: Offensive Assistant 2006
New York Jets: Quarterbacks 2005
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Assistant Quarterbacks 2004
Offensive Quality Control 2002-03

KCJohnny
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't see him getting the nod over Hackett or even Shula unless Herm's youth movement extends to the coaching staff as well.

The last Denver coach that came here was no roaring success (Robinson).

I'm open - if this guy can develop a QBoTF and a brand new offensive scheme while improving a young team, then he's Superman. Bring it on.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't see him getting the nod over Hackett or even Shula unless Herm's youth movement extends to the coaching staff as well.

The last Denver coach that came here was no roaring success (Robinson).

I'm open - if this guy can develop a QBoTF and a brand new offensive scheme while improving a young team, then he's Superman. Bring it on.
Everyone knew Robinson was a horrible DC though.

KCJohnny
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Everyone knew Robinson was a horrible DC though.
He has 2 rings with the Donks. Sometimes ya just hafta concede that the HC is the guy calling the shots, even with million dollar coordinators. There are a LOT of coordinators that failed in the leap to HC.

I think DV was close. G-Rob should have been the answer, but DV hogged all the talent to the offensive side of the ball and squandered many a good draft.

Back to the thread topic, if Bates > than Shula, its by potential, not demonstrated performance. It takes a real smart HC to sniff out potential. If Herm's drafts are any indication, he may sign a young gun with loads up upside and potential to assist in his youth movement.