PDA

View Full Version : Michigan's Jake Long is playing

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Just a heads up to those didn't know.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
WTF? How is Michigan beating a mighty SEC team?

How has Long looked so far?

kcfanintitanhell
01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
WTF? How is Michigan beating a mighty SEC team?

How has Long looked so far?

Hart just followed his block into the endzone.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Commentators are complimenting his play.

Thig Lyfe
01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
If he's available, and we don't take him, I'll cry.

Micjones
01-01-2008, 01:51 PM
If we don't take him it better be because we're taking Matt Ryan OR because he's off the board.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I rather take a defensive playmaker with the 5th and focus on the line in the 2nd-5th...

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Is Derrick Harvey going against Long today or is he on the other side?

AustinChief
He should be gone before we pick... :(

HolmeZz
I'll take him if Dorsey, Ellis, Chris Long, and Matt Ryan are off the board. To name a few.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Been on the other side most of the game.

Mecca

He was moving back and forth between sides..

Holy shit I agree with Hootie about something, I should log off and prepare for the end of times.

OnTheWarpath58

On the other side.

Which sucks, I really wanted to see how Long played against someone talented.

Micjones
I rather take a defensive playmaker with the 5th and focus on the line in the 2nd-5th...

Who would you take there?
Sedrick Ellis? James Laurinaitis?

I could maybe see Ellis, but Laurinaitis isn't going to put Harris on the bench. And we can't spend a #5 overall pick on a guy who's only going to contribute.

Thig Lyfe

At least we have JA and DJ on defense. We have NOBODY on the o-line. I'd rather get an anchor for the offensive line so that Brodie (or whoever is at QB) doesn't get killed and has enough time to get the ball to TG and Bowe.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Hart is a moron.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 01:57 PM

I could maybe see Ellis, but Laurinaitis isn't going to put Harris on the bench. And we can't spend a #5 overall pick on a guy who's only going to contribute.

I could see a case for Ellis. A dominant interior pass rusher could make our defense elite.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Sedrick Ellis could be Tommie Harris that to me is what he reminds me of.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Sedrick Ellis could be Tommie Harris that to me is what he reminds me of.

Laaaaaaaaame.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4493499&postcount=38

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd like Ellis if we can't get J. Long or Ryan.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2008, 02:03 PM

I don't think Harris will be a Chief next year...

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:03 PM

If Carl is truly keeping out of these type of decisions, Laurinaitis ABSOLUTELY would beat out Nap Harris DAY ONE.

JL is like having another chance to draft AJ Hawk.

I'm not saying absolutely take him at 5, it would depend on who else was there, but to say he wouldn't beat out Harris is absurd.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:04 PM
That's a cap hit but you can take LB's in the middle rounds this year and still get a good player.

Pablo

I could maybe see Ellis, but Laurinaitis isn't going to put Harris on the bench. And we can't spend a #5 overall pick on a guy who's only going to contribute.Laurinaitis could and would put Harris on the bench. He's a monster, but I'm an advocate for taking a DT, since great play starts up front, and our LB's and DB's wouldn't be asked to make so many tackles, and do so much against the run if we could get one solid guy up front. Not to mention, JA and Tamba can't get to the QB all by themselves each time, just one solid pass-rusher up front could put the fear of God into a whole lot of NFL offenses.

Boone looked like he was that guy for a little while, but sort of fizzled out. Ellis could be that guy. If it was apparent that JA wasn't going to be signed, I wouldn't mind drafting Chris Long.

If Jake Long is gone by then, I don't want us to reach for Clady or Baker. There's a chance Cherilus, Otah and Richardson will all still be on the board in the early 2nd, and Clady played well, but not well enough to warrant a #5 pick for need alone. It's not a lock all three of those guys will still be on the board, but with Long, Clady, and Baker gone, we should certainly be able to pick up a good tackle in the early 2nd.

OnTheWarpath58
Laaaaaaaaame.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4493499&postcount=38

ROFL ROFL

Short Leash Hootie
I think 2009 is the year we take a QB in the 1st round...we have too many holes to take a QB this year...I want a defensive playmaker in the 1st...focus on the OLINE in the 2nd-5th rounds, maybe make a few free agent acquisitions to the line (offensive and defensive)...and go from there.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Next years draft isn't good for QB's, unless you love Tim Tebow and Matthew Stafford...

Holmezz and I say the same draft shit frequently that's no shocker. He's a pass rushing cover 2 DT, of course he's gonna remind you of guys like Harris and Sapp.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2008, 02:08 PM
if he's anything like Tommie Harris, we'd be fools to pass that up...

Pablo
01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Next years draft isn't good for QB's, unless you love Tim Tebow and Matthew Stafford...

Holmezz and I say the same draft shit frequently that's no shocker. He's a pass rushing cover 2 DT, of course he's gonna remind you of guys like Harris and Sapp.You're forgetting the likes of Todd Boeckman and Nate Longshore.

I agree that Matt Ryan is going to be the best pro-style QB to come out in the next 2, maybe 3 years, but there's a good chance he'll be gone by the time we pick. I want a stud on either side of the line, offensive preferably, but those can be had in the 2nd round. DT is a position of need, I suppose there are too many positions of need for us to pin it down to one player really, I just want the best player available, and a good DT could make our defense something to be really proud of.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:14 PM
You're forgetting the likes of Todd Boeckman and Nate Longshore.

I agree that Matt Ryan is going to be the best pro-style QB to come out in the next 2, maybe 3 years, but there's a good chance he'll be gone by the time we pick. I want a stud on either side of the line, offensive preferably, but those can be had in the 2nd round. DT is a position of need, I suppose there are too many positions of need for us to pin it down to one player really, I just want the best player available, and a good DT could make our defense something to be really proud of.

Are you serious? Longshore is a Tedford QB and we know their track record, and Boeckman is nothing special - think Joe Germaine.

And I don't know why everyone is only considering Matt Ryan. Brian Brohm is right there with him and a few analysts have him ahead of Ryan. I think Brohm has better tools and athleticism, his only question is durability.

HolmeZz

Longshore is awful. Boeckman's not bad, but not going to be worth a top draft pick.

If you're looking for sleepers I like Hunter Cantwell and Cullen Harper.

OnTheWarpath58

Seriously, don't bother.

All he has to say is "I don't like ________ for X, Y, Z, reason and we're supposed to drink the kool-aid.

Mecca
As long as they take one of those guys it's fine, if Ryan goes they shouldn't take a QB..then we'll have to go with Croyle which makes me uncomfortable.

As long as they don't take a LT with a top 5 pick in a deep year for them things are fine, unless they make some retarded pick.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Seriously, don't bother.

All he has to say is "I don't like ________ for X, Y, Z, reason and we're supposed to drink the kool-aid.

Well hey even though we agree about a lot of draft stuff take a pot shot, I love that.

"Even though I basically agree with you, um your mecca so you're dumb"

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Are you serious? Longshore is a Tedford QB and we know their track record, and Boeckman is nothing special - think Joe Germaine.

And I don't know why everyone is only considering Matt Ryan. Brian Brohm is right there with him and a few analysts have him ahead of Ryan. I think Brohm has better tools and athleticism, his only question is durability.

Brohm has by far the least in terms of tools of the big 3 QB prospects. He's got the weakest arm by a good margin. Brohm's best attribute is that he doesn't turn the ball over much.

Pablo
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM

And I don't know why everyone is only considering Matt Ryan. Brian Brohm is right there with him and a few analysts have him ahead of Ryan. I think Brohm has better tools and athleticism, his only question is durability.I used Longshore and Boeckman to illustrate the piss-poor talent coming out of the draft at the QB position next year.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Brohm has by far the least in terms of tools of the big 3 QB prospects. He's got the weakest arm by a good margin. Brohm's best attribute is that he doesn't turn the ball over much.

Yeah, you're wrong. Brohm has a great arm, great tools, great athleticism. Obviously you've never watched him or read his scouting reports.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
If you take Brohm you run the risk of having 2 QB's that can't make it through a season....

Pablo
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, you're wrong. Brohm has a great arm, great tools, great athleticism. Obviously you've never watched him or read his scouting reports.He's had a few injuries if I recall correctly. The same type of thing people slaughter Brodie over.

suds79
01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
As long as they take one of those guys it's fine, if Ryan goes they shouldn't take a QB..then we'll have to go with Croyle which makes me uncomfortable.

As long as they don't take a LT with a top 5 pick in a deep year for them things are fine, unless they make some retarded pick.

The Chiefs got to try to end up with a LT who can hold down that position for years.

Yes the draft is deep in OT and that makes me feel good should they decide not to draft one in the 1st.

However, there's something to be said about getting the very best guy among many instead of running the risk of ending up with leftovers that never pan out.

If the Chiefs feel like Jake Long is far & away the best LT in the draft (and most experts agree), then they'd be silly to pass on him considering O-line is the most shameful part of this team.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't want anything to do with Brohm...I'd take Ryan if he's there (and we go QB)...but I'd really prefer this Ellis guy (I'm not a college football fan, so I usually steer clear of draft discussion) if he can be a playmaking DT...we really need one of those.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
He's had a few injuries if I recall correctly. The same type of thing people slaughter Brodie over.

It's not quite as bad but it's still something that should draw an immediate flag.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't want anything to do with Brohm...I'd take Ryan if he's there (and we go QB)...but I'd really prefer this Ellis guy (I'm not a college football fan, so I usually steer clear of draft discussion) if he can be a playmaking DT...we really need one of those.

Just watch the Rose Bowl, he'll be wearing #49 on the SC defense.

HolmeZz
Yeah, you're wrong. Brohm has a great arm, great tools, great athleticism. Obviously you've never watched him or read his scouting reports.

Brohm does not have a great arm. Maybe if you're used to watching Damon Huard. His arm is much weaker than Ryan's and Woodson's. I don't even see how it's arguable.

I don't know what you mean by tools since his arm isn't great. His mechanics? They're fine, but it doesn't mean much when your ceiling is as limited as Brohm's.

I can't imagine what you're talking about with athleticism. He's more athletic than Woodson, but he's definitely not better at moving in and outside the pocket than Ryan.

Pablo
The Chiefs got to try to end up with a LT who can hold down that position for years.

Yes the draft is deep in OT and that makes me feel good should they decide not to draft one in the 1st.

However, there's something to be said about getting the very best guy among many instead of running the risk of ending up with leftovers that never pan out.

If the Chiefs feel like Jake Long is far & away the best LT in the draft (and most experts agree), then they'd be silly to pass on him considering O-line is the most shameful part of this team.I don't think any of us want to pass on Jake Long. It's just that St. Louis will more than likely be going after the guy, and we really might not even have a shot at him.

eazyb81
He's had a few injuries if I recall correctly. The same type of thing people slaughter Brodie over.

Right, durability is a concern. But to me it seems like more freak injuries rather than just being too small and slender like Croyle. That said, I think his combination of tools, arm, intelligence, athleticism, and intangibles are the best of any of the big 3 QBs this year.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Well hey even though we agree about a lot of draft stuff take a pot shot, I love that.

"Even though I basically agree with you, um your mecca so you're dumb"

Is it a pot shot if it's the honest to God truth?

Sure, we agree on some things regarding the draft. We both happen to believe in the same blueprint for building a championship-type team.

But, if I may, the biggest problem people have with you is your inability to admit you've made a mistake. It's not like I'm the only person on this board to say that. That's not a newsflash to you.

Different opinions are what makes this place so much fun, IMO. But if you're not willing to eat some crow once and a while when you're dead wrong, and instead try to spin your way out of it, it rubs people the wrong way.

You know football. There is no doubt about it. I've never said you were dumb. You're far from it.

But a little humility once and a while goes along way.

suds79
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I should of added this to my last part that they should also seriously consider a QB though if they feel like a franchise guy is there.

QB takes precedence over everything else.

KChiefs1
01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
the guy is an absolute beast.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM

People should also be looking at Keith Rivers, who I think wears 55, in the event of a trade-down.

The prototypical WILL LB, IMO.

tk13
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM
If Long's sitting there it's going to be hard not to take him. Ellis is probably another good option, you can't go wrong with either. We pretty much have to address the offensive line in the first 3 rounds though. Whether we have Bowe, LJ, Croyle, or even another QB, we have to take an offensive lineman to give any of these guys a chance, probably in round 2. We've put ourselves in a position where we just can't ignore it another offseason.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Is it a pot shot if it's the honest to God truth?

Sure, we agree on some things regarding the draft. We both happen to believe in the same blueprint for building a championship-type team.

But, if I may, the biggest problem people have with you is your inability to admit you've made a mistake. It's not like I'm the only person on this board to say that. That's not a newsflash to you.

Different opinions are what makes this place so much fun, IMO. But if you're not willing to eat some crow once and a while when you're dead wrong, and instead try to spin your way out of it, it rubs people the wrong way.

You know football. There is no doubt about it. I've never said you were dumb. You're far from it.

But a little humility once and a while goes along way.

Ok..I thought Jimmy Williams would be a good FS in the NFL, so far I'm wrong. I think Kawika Mitchell would get money because of what I thought he asked the Chiefs for, I was wrong about that. Jared Allen is better than I expected him to be, I've basically admitted that about 100 times though.

Anything else, I don't remember everything I've said.

Short Leash Hootie
I plan on it...I'm from Champaign, IL

dj56dt58
Long is dominating..we better get him

eazyb81
Brohm does not have a great arm. Maybe if you're used to watching Damon Huard. His arm is much weaker than Ryan's and Woodson's. I don't even see how it's arguable.

I don't know what you mean by tools since his arm isn't great. His mechanics? They're fine, but it doesn't mean much when your ceiling is as limited as Brohm's.

I can't imagine what you're talking about with athleticism. He's more athletic than Woodson, but he's definitely not better at moving in and outside the pocket than Ryan.

"Arm strength is more than adequate" - NFLDC

"Big arm, prototype size, quick release, expert touch" - ESPN

"Brohm has all of the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the size and the big arm to go with it" - FF Toolbox

Seriously, that took 10 seconds to google. Do some research before you make a fool of yourself.

Anyways, arm strength alone is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a QB.

Mecca
People should also be looking at Keith Rivers, who I think wears 55, in the event of a trade-down.

The prototypical WILL LB, IMO.

Yea 55, which is an honor to wear at SC if anyone doesn't know. You have to earn wearing that number it's not just given anyone due to the tradition of players at SC that have worn it.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't think any of us want to pass on Jake Long. It's just that St. Louis will more than likely be going after the guy, and we really might not even have a shot at him.

I think you'd be surprised.

Most insiders here in STL think they'll take Chris Long as a replacement for Leonard Little.

Little's played something like 5 games in the last two years, and the Rams are concerned about his availability.

Chris Long and Adam Carriker would be a good start to rebuilding that defensive line.

dj56dt58
01-01-2008, 02:30 PM
FL might as well not even have an end going against him..he's just being bitch slapped all over the place

Pablo
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Long's getting nasty. I like that.

dj56dt58
he can tackle too

Mecca
Look at that Jake Long can tackle after Int's...

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
heh

Long rode that LB to the turf

love the attitude

wazu
Long got beat on that play and it caused the INT.

eazyb81

Most insiders here in STL think they'll take Chris Long as a replacement for Leonard Little.

Little's played something like 5 games in the last two years, and the Rams are concerned about his availability.

I think it's too early to guess which direction teams are going. We're all picking in the top 5, which means that we have many holes and could really go in a number of directions.

dj56dt58
He didnt get beat he was setting up the screen

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:33 PM

It was a screen, he was letting the guy go past him.

Mecca

It was a screen, he was suppose to let him through, I'm not a fan of the guy but you can't rip him for that it was the play.

OnTheWarpath58
Yea 55, which is an honor to wear at SC if anyone doesn't know. You have to earn wearing that number it's not just given anyone due to the tradition of players at SC that have worn it.

Junior Seau, Willie McGinist, who else am I missing?

Pablo

Chris Long and Adam Carriker would be a good start to rebuilding that defensive line.That's pretty good news. I'd love to see Long playing for the Chiefs, but if he isn't draft the BPA.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I think it's too early to guess which direction teams are going. We're all picking in the top 5, which means that we have many holes and could really go in a number of directions.

Can't disagree with that, just pointing out what I've read/heard, since I live in STL.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:34 PM
"Arm strength is more than adequate" - NFLDC

"Big arm, prototype size, quick release, expert touch" - ESPN

"Brohm has all of the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the size and the big arm to go with it" - FF Toolbox

Seriously, that took 10 seconds to google. Do some research before you make a fool of yourself.

He doesn't have a big arm. At best his arm is NFL-average. Think Brady Quinn.

Anyways, arm strength alone is probably one of the most overrated aspects of a QB.

Name me all the great QBs with weak arms.

wazu
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
He didnt get beat he was setting up the screen

Just rewound and watched Long. He wasn't set up for the screen, but you may be right that it was what he was trying to do. Seemed like he was pretty concerned about the guy who got around him.

ChiTown
Honest to God, I don't think there's any question that Jake Long can be an exceptional LT in the NFL.

That kid is nasty.

HolmeZz
Look at that Jake Long can tackle after Int's...

That'll come in handy as a member of the Chiefs.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
He doesn't have a big arm. At best his arm is NFL-average. Think Brady Quinn.

LOL, you're right and everyone else is wrong? No wonder you're the joke of the board.

HolmeZz
Just rewound and watched Long. He wasn't set up for the screen, but you may be right that it was what he was trying to do. Seemed like he was pretty concerned about the guy who got around him.

He was setting up for a screen, but he probably should've done a better job displacing the end.

Mecca
Junior Seau, Willie McGinist, who else am I missing?

Let me see how well I remember back into being a young teen LOL...

Chris Claiborne I'm pretty sure wore it, he was a stud at SC never really matched that in the NFL.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
LOL, you're right and everyone else is wrong? No wonder you're the joke of the board.

1. Everyone else thinks Brian Brohm is great and has a big arm?

2. I don't know anyone here who thinks I'm a 'joke' other than findthedr, who's displayed some great gems about Michael Oher and also believes Kawika Mitchell is better than Derrick Johnson.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Let me see how well I remember back into being a young teen LOL...

Chris Claiborne I'm pretty sure wore it, he was a stud at SC never really matched that in the NFL.

That's the other guy I was thinking of.

Not sure that he wore it, but it's who I was thinking of.

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
insane!

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:41 PM

2. I don't know anyone here who thinks I'm a 'joke' other than findthedr, who's displayed some great gems about Michael Oher and also believes Kawika Mitchell is better than Derrick Johnson.

Regarding point #1, there MANY more people on this board who thinks Brohm is the 3rd best QB in that class than the 1st.

As many threads as there have been on the subject, and I'd say the majority would prefer Ryan 1st, Woodson 2nd.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:42 PM
This has been a pretty fun game.

Mecca
Regarding point #1, there MANY more people on this board who thinks Brohm is the 3rd best QB in that class than the 1st.

As many threads as there have been on the subject, and I'd say the majority would prefer Ryan 1st, Woodson 2nd.

Woodson is all about trust, do you trust the coaches because he's the one that needs the most coaching but has the most upside...

eazyb81

1. I posted three quotes from leading sources saying Brohm has an above-average to great arm. Until you post something that contradicts that besides just your opinion, you sound like a moron arguing it.

2. You'd be surprised....

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
On pasing plays Long is absolutely stonewalling his man. On one play he almost got beat, but he recoverded and tossed his lineman so far back behind the QB...completely out of the play

Let's be fair.

He's playing against a 212 pound Sophomore DE.

If that's what we can guarantee he'll be lining up against on Sundays, then by all means, draft him.

The shame of this game is that Harvey has been on the other side 90% of this game.

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
this is the way I want every bowl game to be

and i will say this, after watching Long today: I will not freak out if we draft him...he has a lot of talent, and a wonderful mean/nasty attitude which we sorely need...

I'm not saying we should or have to draft him...Ellis is still high on my list...but Long is in a different class than Clady, the Clemson LT, or the Boston LT....just my humble opinion...

Florida isn't even trying to get around him anymore...

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Let's be fair.

He's playing against a 212 pound Sophomore DE.

If that's what we can guarantee he'll be lining up against on Sundays, then by all means, draft him.

The shame of this game is that Harvey has been on the other side 90% of this game.

he's on the other side for an obvious reason....

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
1. I posted three quotes from leading sources saying Brohm has an above-average to great arm. Until you post something that contradicts that besides just your opinion, you sound like a moron arguing it.

Would you like me to find some quotes talking about how great Vince Young would be at the next level?

2. You'd be surprised....

So you don't have names?

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Would you like me to find some quotes talking about how great Vince Young would be at the next level?

Nah, let's just focus on Brohm. I'm waiting......

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 02:48 PM
he's on the other side for an obvious reason....

Sure, but I'd sure feel better about Long knowing he can dominate Pro-level talent like Harvey rather than a DE that's built like Dwayne Bowe.......

He's faced ONE pro-level DE this year in Gholston, with mixed results.

I was hoping this game would answer some questions about him.

Facing a 212 pound DE answers none.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Nah, let's just focus on Brohm. I'm waiting......

But you just said that because the likes of ESPN said good things about him, they must be true. And it'd be stupid to argue otherwise.

So it'd be stupid for me to argue otherwise about Vince Young(eventhough I did at the time), right?

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Jared Allen is now in the 250s...not 270.
Many have questioned Long's ability to handle speed rushers. He has demonstrated that ability in this game.

Most would agree Jake Long is very strong. Bigger guys bull rushing him shouldnt be a problem.

Harvey playing against the RT is obviously because that is where he can make the greatest impact. Dlineman arent getting anything against Long.

Better prospect, Jake Long or Joe Thomas?

mlyonsd
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
If Long is available when we draft and we don't get him I will personally chit on Peterson's, Herm's, and Clark's front porch.

Not all in the same day mind you.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
But you just said that because the likes of ESPN said good things about him, they must be true. And it'd be stupid to argue otherwise.

So it'd be stupid for me argue otherwise about Vince Young(eventhough I did at the time), right?

So you admit you're wrong about Brohm's arm? Got it. Might want to stay out of the draft threads from now on, because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Move along little guy.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think Long is anywhere near Thomas...if he had been in last years class I suspect he'd have been behind Thomas but ahead of Levi Brown.

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Thomas, no?

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
So you admit you're wrong about Brohm's arm? Got it. .

You realize you're arguing that anything ESPN and alike say is true? Really?

Is Aqib Talib the best corner in the country because Mel Kiper thinks so?

OnTheWarpath58
Jared Allen is now in the 250s...not 270.
Many have questioned Long's ability to handle speed rushers. He has demonstrated that ability in this game.

Most would agree Jake Long is very strong. Bigger guys bull rushing him shouldnt be a problem.

Harvey playing against the RT is obviously because that is where he can make the greatest impact. Dlineman arent getting anything against Long.

Wow.

So since he handled Florida's undersized, speed rushing Sophomore DE, he's demonstrated he's capable of handling guys like Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney and the other great DE's in this league?

All he demonstrated is that he can manhandle a guy who he outweighs by 120 pounds.

HolmeZz
Thomas, no?

By a wide margin. I just wanted to hear dr's answer.

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Thomas was the Peyton Manning of LTs....a once-a-decade no-brainer....

OnTheWarpath58

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Put Levi Brown on the list.

Long would have been the 3rd OT in last years draft, IMO.

Mecca
Wow.

So since he handled Florida's undersized, speed rushing Sophomore DE, he's demonstrated he's capable of handling guys like Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney and the other great DE's in this league?

All he demonstrated is that he can manhandle a guy who he outweighs by 120 pounds.

I just think that is hilarious that he says that....

A speed rusher at a much higher level in Gholston gives him all kinds of problems.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:56 PM
You realize you're arguing that anything ESPN and alike say is true? Really?

Is Aqib Talib the best corner in the country because Mel Kiper thinks so?

So you're at the point in this argument where you're saying ignore every single expert, analyst, and website, and just agree with you even though you have absolutely nothing to back you up? Am I correct on that?

And again, you wonder why you're the joke of the board.....I'm done wasting my time with you.

Mecca
ROFL ROFL ROFL

I think he's a bit better than Brown...he's probably closer to Brown as a prospect than Thomas though.

HolmeZz
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Eh, I actually think Long's better than Brown.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Long reminds me of Jordan Gross or even Tait. Very good OTs, Pro Bowl every now and then, but he's not going to be an elite, Roaf-like tackle.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
So you're at the point in this argument where you're saying ignore every single expert, analyst, and website, and just agree with you even though you have absolutely nothing to back you up? Am I correct on that?

Every single expert, analyst, and website says Brohm is great, can't-miss, and has a great arm?

And again, you wonder why you're the joke of the board.....I'm done wasting my time with you.

I don't know if there's any more of a joke than thinking that what ESPN says is gospel.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Long reminds me of Jordan Gross or even Tait. Very good OTs, Pro Bowl every now and then, but he's not going to be an elite, Roaf-like tackle.

Gross isn't a bad comparison. But even then, those are right tackles.

alanm
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
And another SEC team bites the dust.

the Talking Can
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
he's quite a bit better than Brown, I think....

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, Brohm MUST be the real deal, Eddie Griifin of FF Toolbox said so.

The one legitimate scout he mentioned was Scott Wright, who also seems to think that he may not have much upside, is immobile, and is a product of the system, and was not "asked to make a lot of difficult throws."

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 03:10 PM
The one legitimate scout he mentioned was Scott Wright, who also seems to think that he may not have much upside, is immobile, and is a product of the system, and was not "asked to make a lot of difficult throws."

:( Why didn't eazyb include that part of the scouting report? You don't think he'd be intentionally misleading, do you?

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, Brohm MUST be the real deal, Eddie Griifin of FF Toolbox said so.

So Kiper isn't a "legitimate scout"?

Brohm entered this year as the #1 overall prospect, and had a very good but not great year, primarily because of a coaching change. He screwed up by not coming out next year, and now he's getting the Leinart treatment because everyone has seen too much of him.

Brohm has everything - tools, arm, intelligence, athleticism, bloodlines, intangibles. He was the #1 overall prospect coming out of high school, had offers from everyone, and was even drafted in MLB coming out of high school. Absolutely no doubt in my mind he will develop into a franchise QB, but like I said, everyone's seen him so much and now they want to move on to new guys like Ryan and Woodson. Shiny new toy syndrome at its finest.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
So Kiper isn't a "legitimate scout"?

Brohm entered this year as the #1 overall prospect, and had a very good but not great year, primarily because of a coaching change. He screwed up by not coming out next year, and now he's getting the Leinart treatment because everyone has seen too much of him.

Brohm has everything - tools, arm, intelligence, athleticism, bloodlines, intangibles. He was the #1 overall prospect coming out of high school, had offers from everyone, and was even drafted in MLB coming out of high school. Absolutely no doubt in my mind he will develop into a franchise QB, but like I said, everyone's seen him so much and now they want to move on to new guys like Ryan and Woodson. Shiny new toy syndrome at its finest.

Feel free to answer the other question, first.

:( Why didn't eazyb include that part of the scouting report? You don't think he'd be intentionally misleading, do you?

But to answer yours, I take little stock in anything Kiper has to say.

Most people who are serious about draft scouting and info get it from Scott Wright, Pat Kirwan, Russ Lande or writer Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Some guys are really good at getting mocks right which is just knowing teams and isn't really scouting..

Also Kipers big board is a bit of garbage..he moves guys up based on a lot of things. Like agents will pay him to move guys up, to try to get them drafted higher.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Kiper is not a great scout and anyone who has/had Brohm as the top prospect in the country at any point this season is loony.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Feel free to answer the other question, first.

But to answer yours, I take little stock in anything Kiper has to say.

Most people who are serious about draft scouting and info get it from Scott Wright, Pat Kirwan, Russ Lande or writer Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News.

The fact of the matter is that the guys you named feel Ryan and Brohm are basically even at this point. Wright has Ryan 4th overall on his board right now while Brohm is 6th. If we're reading off weaknesses, Wright says Ryan has "only average arm strength (he said Brohm had above average), streaky accuracy, not very mobile, isn't a great athlete, and may not have huge upside".

Both guys are similar right now, but from what I've seen of Brohm, I am on his bandwagon.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Some guys are really good at getting mocks right which is just knowing teams and isn't really scouting..

Also Kipers big board is a bit of garbage..he moves guys up based on a lot of things. Like agents will pay him to move guys up, to try to get them drafted higher.

One of the reasons why I think he's worthless.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
The fact of the matter is that the guys you named feel Ryan and Brohm are basically even at this point. Wright has Ryan 4th overall on his board right now while Brohm is 6th. If we're reading off weaknesses, Wright says Ryan has "only average arm strength (he said Brohm had above average), streaky accuracy, not very mobile, isn't a great athlete, and may not have huge upside".

Both guys are similar right now, but from what I've seen of Brohm, I am on his bandwagon.

Hell, Wright has Woodson 7th, right behind Brohm.

He also says that Ryan is the safer pick.

Ryan: "...who should be come a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a franchise signal caller."

Brohm: "...a boom-or-bust type."

FWIW, I don't think any of them are worthy of a Top 5 pick.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Hell, Wright has Woodson 7th, right behind Brohm.

He also says that Ryan is the safer pick.

Ryan: "...who should be come a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a franchise signal caller."

Brohm: "...a boom-or-bust type."

FWIW, I don't think any of them are worthy of a Top 5 pick.

Exactly my point, so it makes me wonder why everyone on here acts like Ryan is the obvious #1 choice. I think Brohm has him beat and I would be willing to take a sig bet that he is the first QB off the board by the time April rolls around.

When I'm using a top 5 pick on a QB, I'll take the guy that has a chance to "boom" rather than the solid starter. Solid starters at QB are a dime a dozen - you want superstars.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

That just sounds ridiculous. You have any kind of proof, or a link to heresay even that backs that up? I'm not saying you're a liar Mecca, but that doesn't make 1 oz. of sense.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 03:45 PM
That just sounds ridiculous. You have any kind of proof, or a link to heresay even that backs that up? I'm not saying you're a liar Mecca, but that doesn't make 1 oz. of sense.

It's been talked about plenty of times before. On Kipers board you'll see a guy jumping up 20 spots while nothing is going on...

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I did just read that the draft may have to be postponed because of Kiper. Wow!!!

BRISTOL, CT—NFL officials and ESPN executives made an emergency announcement Tuesday stating that the 2007 NFL Player Draft may have to be postponed indefinitely, as draft guru Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board, the index-card-laden bulletin board used to catalog, rank, and track every single player in the draft, was accidentally knocked over late Monday night.

Enlarge Image
"I just got up from my seat at the table to get a cup of coffee, and I must have hit the Big Board with my shoulder," said Kiper, holding up a loose stack of cards bearing players' names, positions, and schools printed in his distinctive block letters. "Now, the entire draft has been jumbled all together and no one is sure what player should go when. We might have to wait until July for me to get everyone back where they belong."

"Look at this," Kiper said, gesturing to a table where his Big Board lay uncharacteristically horizontal and bereft of player rankings. "It's not supposed to be like that. Not supposed to be like that at all."

Since the Big Board's introduction in 1984, it has served as the ranking medium for all top NFL draft picks. In its entire 23-year history, the Board has never before been knocked completely all the way over.

"This is much worse than the 1995 'bobble' of the Big Board that saw five players' names from the mid-first round come unpinned and flutter to Mel Kiper's floor," said Buffalo Bills general manager Marv Levy, who was woken by aides and told of the knock-over only minutes after it occurred. "We weren't sure whether we were supposed to draft Warren Sapp, Ruben Brown, Mark Fields, or Ellis Johnson. In the end, we had to guess, and Sapp went to Tampa Bay. I don't want this to happen again, to anyone."

Commissioner Roger Goodell issued a call for calm from an NFL office besieged by frantic phone calls from journalists, scouts, teams' front offices, and the agents of almost every player on the board, all of whom insist that their client was listed toward the Big Board's top.

"While this is a huge setback for football, we will still be holding the draft in an orderly fashion," Goodell said. "We may have to delay it for a number of weeks, but one way or another, we will work with Mr. Kiper to recover as much information as possible related to player rankings. The full resources of the NFL are, as usual, at Mr. Kiper's disposal."

Meanwhile, Goodell says he has requested that ESPN search through recent footage to see if the intact Big Board can be seen in the background of any shots or if Kiper appeared on the network discussing draft rankings at any time.

"We're in bad shape, but all is not completely lost," said Kiper, shuffling through the stack of rumpled index cards he managed to salvage from the area of his floor where the board fell. "I'm reasonably sure that this 'Calvin Johnson' fellow was up near the top, for instance. He's a wide receiver, though, and I'm not sure I'd rank a wide receiver first. And there's a young man named Okoye here whose name I remember… 19 years old, though, can that be right? Damn it, how could I do something so stupid?"

Kiper added that he would be working around the clock to restore order to the Big Board "up until the eve of the draft, if necessary," and hopes that some clue to the Board's former state can be found in his recently published draft guide, the 120-page Mel Kiper Jr's 2007 NFL Draft Report.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nfl_draft_in_chaos_as_mel_kipers

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Exactly my point, so it makes me wonder why everyone on here acts like Ryan is the obvious #1 choice. I think Brohm has him beat and I would be willing to take a sig bet that he is the first QB off the board by the time April rolls around.

When I'm using a top 5 pick on a QB, I'll take the guy that has a chance to "boom" rather than the solid starter. Solid starters at QB are a dime a dozen - you want superstars.

A sig bet that he's the first QB taken?

So that means he's the best, just because he was drafted first?

Paging Mr. Roethlisberger.......

ChiTown
01-01-2008, 03:47 PM

LOL

Umm, well, not many are. Willie Roaf is a HOF LT.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 03:47 PM
It's been talked about plenty of times before. On Kipers board you'll see a guy jumping up 20 spots while nothing is going on...

I've never noticed it. You'd think the guy would lose all credibility, followed by his job. That's ridiculous if it's the case.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
LOL

Umm, well, not many are. Willie Roaf is a HOF LT.

Well, um yeah, but the point is that he's not a GREAT prospect, just a very good one. It's not even unanimous that he will be a left tackle at the next level.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I've never noticed it. You'd think the guy would lose all credibility, followed by his job. That's ridiculous if it's the case.

He's just an ESPN guy it's not like he needs any. They got plenty of other guys on there with none. He just gives his opinion on players even if it may be skewed a bit because he was paid by an agent to help a guy go earlier.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 03:51 PM
He's just an ESPN guy it's not like he needs any. They got plenty of other guys on there with none. He just gives his opinion on players even if it may be skewed a bit because he was paid by an agent to help a guy go earlier.

What NFL front office decision maker is dumb enough to take the drafting advice of Mel Kiper? This is just baffling to me to even think about. I could totally see it happening. I just don't see how it would be effective.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
A sig bet that he's the first QB taken?

So that means he's the best, just because he was drafted first?

Paging Mr. Roethlisberger.......

Yeah, pretty much. Brohm is the better QB, he will be the first QB drafted, and will have the better career. Please retort and prolong this absurd argument.

Bottom line: no one knows who will be better, but my whole point is that everyone is acting like Ryan is the obviously best QB prospect when at best it's debatable. I may be the only Brohm fan on here, but I'm not changing my tune any time soon.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, um yeah, but the point is that he's not a GREAT prospect, just a very good one. It's not even unanimous that he will be a left tackle at the next level.

I think he's just trying to say that a top 5 pick isn't a guaranteed hall of famer. Jake Long beat out Joe Thomas last year for Big 10 lineman of the year. Thomas went 4th last year. That's a pretty good sign to me that Long is pretty damn good.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 03:53 PM
What NFL front office decision maker is dumb enough to take the drafting advice of Mel Kiper? This is just baffling to me to even think about. I could totally see it happening. I just don't see how it would be effective.

Because they all have to go on "rumors" about who wants who and all that so Kiper really pumping a guy could tempt a team to trade up stuff like that.

ChiTown
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM

According to who?

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 03:57 PM
According to who?

Um, draft experts? Scott Wright and Rick Gosselin are two off the top of my head that have mentioned this.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Brohm is the better QB, he will be the first QB drafted, and will have the better career

Bottom line: no one knows who will be better

Apparently you do. Do you even read what you post?

but my whole point is that everyone is acting like Ryan is the obviously best QB prospect when at best it's debatable.

So it's ok for you to act like Brohm's the best prospect, but it's not ok for other people to think Ryan's better?

CoMoChief
01-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Because they all have to go on "rumors" about who wants who and all that so Kiper really pumping a guy could tempt a team to trade up stuff like that.
Do people on here really think an NFL front office and scouting dept really pay attention to what Kiper has to say?!?!?!

wow.

Some people are really ****ing dumb.

Mecca
01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Do people on here really think an NFL front office and scouting dept really pay attention to what Kiper has to say?!?!?!

wow.

Some people are really ****ing dumb.

When it comes to something like a draft they have to pay attention to rumors about who wants who..why do you think teams send out smoke screens?

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Apparently you do. Do you even read what you post?

The first one was what I think; I'm not Miss Cleo and neither is anyone else on here. That said, I'm confident in Brohm and my assessment of him.

So it's ok for you to act like Brohm's the best prospect, but it's not ok for other people to think Ryan's better?

Sure it's okay, but this whole argument started when you attacked me for mentioning Brohm. I'm not going against everyone who brings up Ryan, everyone has their own opinion. MY ENTIRE POINT is that there are two or even three QBs that are capable of being the top guy off the board this year, and we should consider them all instead of acting like Ryan is head and shoulder ahead of the rest, because frankly he's just not that good.

ChiTown
01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Um, draft experts? Scott Wright and Rick Gosselin are two off the top of my head that have mentioned this.

LOL

Draft experts? No offense, but these guys aren't experts at anything other than picking money out of unsuspecting fools pocket's suggesting they know more than coaches on where kids project at the next level. They are decent at suggesting where kids might get drafted, but that's about it.

I lay my money on what I hear coaches/scouts say. And, what I've heard about Jake Long suggests he could be a dominating LT in the NFL.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
LOL

Draft experts? No offense, but these guys aren't experts at anything other than picking money out of unsuspecting fools pocket's suggesting they know more than coaches on where kids project at the next level. They are decent at suggesting where kids might get drafted, but that's about it.

I lay my money on what I hear coaches/scouts say. And, what I've heard about Jake Long suggests he could be a dominating LT in the NFL.

LOL, okay man. It's all a big conspiracy! Big brother is watching, dude!

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
The first one was what I think; I'm not Miss Cleo and neither is anyone else on here. That said, I'm confident in Brohm and my assessment of him.

So you don't know if Brohm will be better, you're just saying you know he'll be better.

MY ENTIRE POINT is that there are two or even three QBs that are capable of being the top guy off the board this year, and we should consider them all instead of acting like Ryan is head and shoulder ahead of the rest, because frankly he's just not that good.

And what you don't seem to get is that people think that way about Brohm; that he's not that good.

eazyb81
01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
So you don't know if Brohm will be better, you're just saying you know he'll be better.

ROFL

Yeah, man. Reread my last post a few times, you obviously didn't comprehend it.

And what you don't seem to get is that people think that way about Brohm; that he's not that good.

Okay? Did you even read my last post? Jesus, are you 8 years old with ADD? It's very difficult having a conversation with someone so stupid and/or incapable of analyzing information.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
LOL

Scott Wright does some pretty damn good scouting reports. He also does a mock, which makes people think he's nothing more than you suggested, being decent at slotting players.

I can't speak for anyone else, but i made it crystal clear in a previous post that Rick Gosselin was a WRITER, not a scout.

Pablo
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Ryan/Brohm Internet Brawl '08.

Best of luck gentlemen.

ChiTown
01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
LOL, okay man. It's all a big conspiracy! Big brother is watching, dude!

:rolleyes: huh?

Like I said, they are good at projecting where kids go in the draft, but they have NO EXPERTISE in suggesting how these kids will project at the next level - NONE. Coaches and Scouts get paid big money to be able to do this, so I think they might have a slight leg up on what these "draft gurus" think they know.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 04:16 PM
ROFL

Yeah, man. Reread my last post a few times, you obviously didn't comprehend it.

I comprehended fine. You just make no sense.

Brohm is the better QB, he will be the first QB drafted, and will have the better career

Bottom line: no one knows who will be better

So you know he's the better QB, you know he'll be drafted first, and you know he'll have a better career. But no one knows who will be better.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Like this year is?

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Like this year is?

That is his point. If you don't think much of Ryan, Woodson, and Brohm, it's only going to be much worse next year.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Right, durability is a concern. But to me it seems like more freak injuries rather than just being too small and slender like Croyle.
1- Croyle's injuries were not "freak" injuries?
2- Croyle is small and slender like... say.... Montana.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
the guy is an absolute beast.
Since this thread has turned into a Brohm and Ryan love fest, I have to assume you are talking about one of them. ;)

Frankie
01-01-2008, 06:35 PM
If Long is available when we draft and we don't get him I will personally chit on Peterson's, Herm's, and Clark's front porch.

Not all in the same day mind you.
I think he will be available. I liked what I saw of him also today. I wouldn't mind now if we picked him high. But I wouldn't be heartbroken either if we traded down low enough to get Clady, if we could get another 2nd out of it.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Ryan/Brohm Internet Brawl '08.

Best of luck gentlemen.
And this is a "Jake Long" thread!

Frankie
01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
That is his point. If you don't think much of Ryan, Woodson, and Brohm, it's only going to be much worse next year.
We don't know that. Last year everybody was salivating about Brohm and no one else for this draft.

ILChief
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Brohm is just as, if not more, injury prone than Brodie. Ryan is the only 1st rd QB in this class, I'd be interested in KC drafting.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I tuned in the Sugar Bowl for a few minutes. Not enough to form a solid opinion. But I tend to like Brennan more than both Brohm and Ryan.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I tuned in the Sugar Bowl for a few minutes. Not enough to form a solid opinion. But I tend to like Brennan more than both Brohm and Ryan.

You should have watched longer.

He looks like ass.

HolmeZz
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I don't know how anyone can like Brennan more than anything.

Brock
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks for highlighting your own lack of football acumen.

Frankie
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for highlighting your own lack of football acumen.
:rolleyes:

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Secret to NE's offense. It's all Tom Brady i guess.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Light