PDA

View Full Version : Something I love about college football

luv
01-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Marching bands performing at halftime. I was in the color guard in high school, and watching them brings back memories. We went to a competition at KU once. Anyway, I also like the bands being in the stands. Just adds to the atmosphere.

Mr. Laz
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Marching bands performing at halftime. I was in the color guard in high school, and watching them brings back memories. We went to a competition at KU once. Anyway, I also like the bands being in the stands. Just adds to the atmosphere.
you were a flag girl?

Extra Point
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
It's too bad they don't show more band performances during halftime.

Demonpenz
01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
they should show the old people doing jazzersize like at arrowhead

OnTheWarpath58
This one time, at band camp, I brought the woodwinds some grape Gatorade......

:p

luv
you were a flag girl?
Further proof that I am the dork I claim to be. :)

luv
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
This one time, at band camp, I brought the woodwinds some grape Gatorade......

Hey, I know how to handle a pole.

A flagpole that is. :D

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 08:53 PM

LMAO

Mr. Laz
01-01-2008, 08:55 PM

don't sell yourself short, i'm sure you know how to handle all sorts of poles.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 08:57 PM
What!?! Those kids work that hard to perform and get on national television, and they go to commercial???

Umm there is a reason for it. Its the band and its not one of the Black college bands.

luv
01-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Umm there is a reason for it. Its the band and its not one of the Black college bands.
That and it was just a clip.

FAX
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Marching band is a cultural travesty. An asinine and wasteful use of time and resources, Ms. luv - as any rational human being who has tromped senseless miles through Kansas or Missouri in freezing rain through endless globs of fresh horse sh*t for the enjoyment of retirees who can neither hear nor see can attest.

John Philip Sousa was an utterly insane freak and is 100% accountable for the unconscionable, vacuous, and hairbrained madness called "marching band". Were he alive today, I would ram a trombone up his ass. Of course, that numbskull guy who tried to get in Marion the librarian's pants by sucking up to her speech impaired little brother didn't help much.

FAX

Phobia
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I hate marching bands. Seriously. If marching bands were a danger to the environment and disbanded.... heh, I don't think anybody would notice. Additionally, I'm certain there wouldn't be enough interest to continue marching underground.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Funny thing about marching bands is they think people come to football games to see them. Like I said earlier other than Black College bands, nobody goes to a game to see the band.

Phobia
01-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Funny thing about marching bands is they think people come to football games to see them. Like I said earlier other than Black College bands, nobody goes to a game to see the band.

I know it's probably not PC but I even hate black marching bands. I always burn a miniature cross in my seat when they come to Arrowhead.

OnTheWarpath58
01-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I know it's probably not PC but I even hate black marching bands. I always burn a miniature cross in my seat when they come to Arrowhead.

ROFL ROFL

RibKing67
01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I can remember my high school coach not letting the band practice on the feild. He did not even like them being on the feild at half time. He was a cranky old fart but it was funny as hell to listen to him bitch about it. I could really care less about marching bands it seems kind of pointless to me.

FAX
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM

Seriously, there's nothing more enjoyable than listening to a sh*t load of mis-tuned cornets lay down a rendition of "Hey Jude" to the beat of 1000 paradiddles.

FAX

luv
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I was in marching band for four years, and I never once thought that. I think you're generalizing and stereotyping just a tad.

Joe Seahawk
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
you should move to Seattle and try out for Blue Thunder..

It's a cool drumline that marches around the stadium tailgates etc and fires up the 12th man..

they also have an 8 foot diameter Bass drum with a giant stick that the whail on in the south endzone.. it's cool, it does give a kind of college flavor.

http://www.seahawks.com/media/hawks1228.asx

I'm sure youtube has some blue thunder vids

luv
01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
You'd think with as many computer people as there are on this board, that they'd understand the nerdiness of marching band. I guess the athlete in you guys has come out.

The band adds zero to the game. The halftime show may not even be entertaining. But what is a college football game without the band being in the stands playing the fight song?

luv
01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
you should move to Seattle and try out for Blue Thunder..

It's a cool drumline that marches around the stadium tailgates etc and fires up the 12th man..

they also have an 8 foot diameter Bass drum with a giant stick that the whail on in the south endzone.. it's cool, it does give a kind of college flavor.

http://www.seahawks.com/media/hawks1228.asx

I'm sure youtube has some blue thunder vids
DCI is cooler than marching band. It's usually just the drumline and color guard/rifles/dance squad. Very entertaining.

RibKing67
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
But what is a college football game without the band being in the stands playing the fight song?

As long as they are in the stands I think Coach Smitty would be ok with it. Just keep them off the Gridiron.

Phobia
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
But what is a college football game without the band being in the stands playing the fight song?
Improved.

luv
01-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Improved.
To each their own.

Phobia
01-01-2008, 09:37 PM
To each their own.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to Madden, Summerall, and Enberg have violent seizures in the booth than listen to another marching band.

Braincase
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Marching Bands are the primary cause of global warming, herpes simplex, and game poaching.

RibKing67
01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Honestly, I'd rather listen to Madden, Summerall, and Enberg have violent seizures in the booth than listen to another marching band.

After listening to Glory Glory Halllilupuke all freaking night because Georgia is trashing Hawaii I am ready to get them out of the stands and send them marching into the depths of western Kansas never to be heard by a human again.

luv
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
After listening to Glory Glory Halllilupuke all freaking night because Georgia is trashing Hawaii I am ready to get them out of the stands and send them marching into the depths of western Kansas never to be heard by a human again.
Now THAT I can agree with. It's enough to hope Georgia doesn't score again. :D

Uncle_Ted
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Problem with too many college marching bands is that they are not LOUD enough. Too many piccolos. Technical prowess is pointless if no one at the game is paying attention because they can barely hear you.

Uncle_Ted
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Just wait ... the pinnacle of annoying fight songs will be tomorrow. Oklahoma's band plays that god-forsaken Boomer Sooner every time their offense gains more than 5 yards.

88TG88
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Oregon's fight song is pretty cool.

Cochise
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Bands are one of the worst parts of college football. If they want to march around in their little uniforms at halftime, whatever. I'll go to the bathroom and get a drink. It sucks to try watching a game on TV and having the band keep playing the same old crap over and over though.

Maybe it's because I grew up more familiar with pro ball than college, but I have no use for bands whatsoever.