PDA

View Full Version : Even despite the fact the Chiefs have Tamba Hali..........

RedThat
01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
would you be upset if they drafted Chris Long?

If he's available that is?

Direckshun
01-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Not really, because there's only a handful of guys out there worth the Top 5er, and Long's one of them.

You can always shop Hali out there for a 2nd, or hell, if Carl loses his stare down with Allen, Long could be a perfect substitution.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Carl drafts a player for negotiation leverage just like he did with Larry Johnson? :Poke:

CoMoChief
01-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Not really, because there's only a handful of guys out there worth the Top 5er, and Long's one of them.

You can always shop Hali out there for a 2nd, or hell, if Carl loses his stare down with Allen, Long could be a perfect substitution.
If we dont sign Jared Allen it will be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.

cdcox
01-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm fine with Chris Long.

Woodrow Call
01-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm fine with it in fact I'd be happy with just about any of the names being tossed around. The Chiefs would have to try real hard to screw this up.

Pablo
01-02-2008, 01:16 AM
If we sign Chris Long it's gonna be a pretty big money contract. That would say to me JA is on his way out, Tamba isn't costing us too much, but JA definately will. Are we really going to keep JA and Chris Long around with bulky contracts, and a very servicable DE in Tamba? Probably not.

I'd rather get an OT or a DT than send JA packing.

Ugly Duck
01-02-2008, 01:21 AM
I'd be upset if KC picks Chris Long. He is one helluva player & it would make Howie, Al Davis & all RaiderFanz sick to see him in Ketchup & Mustard.

Phobia
01-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I'd take him for sure. Convert Tamba to long snapper or something. The Chiefs haven't stopped trying to capture a safety from a punter since the whole Cherry thing.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Everyone thinks he's a player but is he a need?

RedThat
01-02-2008, 01:48 AM

well he could be the BPA when we pick?

Need or no need, don't matter he is the kind of guy that take this defense to another level. Imagine Long and Allen? That'd be sick!

I honestly was not all that impressed with Hali this year. Just because the Chiefs have Hali doesn't mean they shouldn't upgrade at that position? Long is the kinda guy that could add explosiveness to this line. Just an awesome all round prospect, definately a football player.

DaWolf
01-02-2008, 01:51 AM

We were 4-12, every position is a need outside of TE, and we need a proper backup for Gonzo...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Teams who draft based on need are the teams who perenially miss the playoffs.

Valiant
01-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Does Long play on Tamba's side??? Cause he can take the other side draft him and put him JA old spot; and have JA move back to OLB'falcon' and have him choose which side to go after the QB from..

I think JA is fast enough to be able to pull that off...

Ugly Duck
01-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Does Long play on Tamba's side??? Cause he can take the other side draft him and put him JA old spot; and have JA move back to OLB'falcon' and have him choose which side to go after the QB from..

I think JA is fast enough to be able to pull that off...

I believe that you can move Long around - he's a natural instinct

Valiant
01-02-2008, 02:25 AM
I believe that you can move Long around - he's a natural instinct

That would be sweet then, I know nothing of the guys ability.. But adding another strong force against the pass would help tremendously.. We would force teams to add another blocker with just a 5 man rush if you had JA/long/Hali bringing pressure imo..

Demonpenz
01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
You can always bring in a fresh DE in on obvouis passing downs or put 3 rushers on the field hell put JA stand up outside

HonestChieffan
01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Hali didnt show us any world class talent this year. Sure hes good but if we could move him and upgrade....rebuild.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Wouldn't be upset at all. He's a top-5 player who would offer an immediate upgrade.

ChiefGator
01-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Hali didnt show us any world class talent this year. Sure hes good but if we could move him and upgrade....rebuild.

He was a beast in the last game though. I would like to give Hali a bit more time before we move him.

I would prefer if the other Long fellow was available when we pick. There may be a thread about this already, but he looked pretty good to me in the Gator-Wolverine game.

After OT, I would prefer we get a good DT for the middle of our line.

Won't jump off the ship if we get Chris Long though.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 07:55 AM
He was a beast in the last game though. I would like to give Hali a bit more time before we move him.

I would prefer if the other Long fellow was available when we pick. There may be a thread about this already, but he looked pretty good to me in the Gator-Wolverine game.

After OT, I would prefer we get a good DT for the middle of our line.

Won't jump off the ship if we get Chris Long though.

Drafting Chris Long doesn't mean we get rid of Hali. It'd be very nice to have a 3-man DE rotation with 2 quality starters.

suds79
01-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Would I be upset? Yes considering all our needs and you're telling me we'd draft a DE when our starters are pretty good.

Hali might not be all-pro yet but he's a good DE.

And don't give me the best player available BS. Some people say that and it sounds good but the truth of the matter is it doesn't make a bit of sense.

Example: Say the best player when we pick is Chris Long. So go DE right? Well what if in round 2 the BPA is another DE. You have to take him according to that philosophy. :shake:

No I'd much rather see a QB or OT in that spot.

tyton75
01-02-2008, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't be pissed unless the OT Long was on the board and we passed on him for the DE Long

what scares the bejesus out of me is that some near-no name will have an awesome combine and get some good word of mouth and we'll take him.. a la Sims! we could have had Haynesworth or Henderson dammit!!!!

philfree
01-02-2008, 09:11 AM
It depends upon what we address in free agency and what transpires between now and the draft in regards to the player rankings. If we address our o line in free agency(and I think we should) then Chris Long would be fine with me unless he drops in the player ranking and we pass on better players. Honestly if we are gonna be a defensive based team then making the D better by drafting Chris Long wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

PhilFree:arrow:

Brock
01-02-2008, 09:14 AM
If they drafted Chris Long, I would bet Jared Allen is leaving.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
If they drafted Chris Long, I would bet Jared Allen is leaving.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to have two great players in their early 20s at DE. That'd be NUTS!

EyePod
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
If we dont sign Jared Allen it will be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.

Donnie Edwards? I wasn't around when that happened, but I'm guessing that this situation is similar. Also, we can always franchise him. We don't have anyone worth the franchise tag. And on a side note, is Brodie Croyle looking more like Carr? He definitely got sacked enough to remind me of him....

Ugly Duck
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Side Note: Chris Long's younger brother Kyle is still in high school, but looks to be growing into a fuggin monster. The kid is already 6-7 and 290 lbs. Bench presses 330, power cleans 340, has a 550 squat, runs a 4.9 40. Plays both O & D line. Probably going to Florida State. Dude looks like he has the makings of becoming a helluva player:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/40/402584.jpg

penguinz
01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Side Note: Chris Long's younger brother Kyle is still in high school, but looks to be growing into a fuggin monster. The kid is already 6-7 and 290 lbs. Bench presses 330, power cleans 340, has a 550 squat, runs a 4.9 40. Plays both O & D line. Probably going to Florida State. Dude looks like he has the makings of becoming a helluva player:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/40/402584.jpgRoids!

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 03:36 PM
i'm not sure that Tamba isn't a backup level player anyway

IF Chris Long is the best player available then take him.

but DON'T be wrong

Pablo
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/40/402584.jpgIt looks like his jersey says "STAB".

I mean, I know Howie played for the Raiders, and I'm sure he picked up a few characteristics from the good folks in Oakland, but his kid playing for a team with the acronym STAB, that's just too much.

Damn violent Faida fans.

HolmeZz
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
If you have a creative DC, you can definitely make great use of 3 really really good defensive ends. The question isn't whether Long would be worth taking in terms of talent. The question is if we're intelligent enough to make use of him, Allen, and Hali properly.

Pablo
01-04-2008, 03:41 PM
If you have a creative DC, you can definitely make great use of 3 really really defensive ends. The question isn't whether Long would be worth taking in terms of talent. The question is if we're intelligent enough to make use of him, Allen, and Hali properly.This is true.

Buzz
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, we wouldn't want to have two great players in their early 20s at DE. That'd be NUTS!
Herm said in a interview this morning players could be changing position and refered to Jared Allen playing TE as he did in the last couple of games? :hmmm:

xbarretx
01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
well he could be the BPA when we pick?

Need or no need, don't matter he is the kind of guy that take this defense to another level. Imagine Long and Allen? That'd be sick!

I honestly was not all that impressed with Hali this year. Just because the Chiefs have Hali doesn't mean they shouldn't upgrade at that position? Long is the kinda guy that could add explosiveness to this line. Just an awesome all round prospect, definately a football player.

TRUE_DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el borracho
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
You guys would pass on a top 5 talent because we have Tamba Hali? That is crazy; who the f ck is Tamba Hali?! Start Allen and Long and let Hali rotate in.

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< see my avy

Best Player Available, reagrdless of position.

The ONLY position IMO, you can't go BPA in R1 of this draft is RB.

There is no sense in drafting McFadden when we have needs at every other position on the team other than punter.

Other than RB/P, with the guys that will be around that 5 spot, no position would upset me.

Matter of fact, time for a new sig. Haven't had a real one in a while.

HemiEd
01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
If he is the "best available", they should draft him.

HemiEd
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM

but DON'T be wrong

Hush your mouth! Tamba was a Herm 1st round pick, in fact his first pick for the Chiefs. Herm is a draft genius!

patteeu
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

but DON'T be wrong

I agree.

Pablo
01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Matter of fact, time for a new sig. Haven't had a real one in a while.I'm a fan of that sig. Very nice.

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm a fan of that sig. Very nice.

Thanks.

It's obvious that I have ZERO photoshop skills, and I use MS Paint, but it gets the point across.

Hadn't had one for a while and thought I get one set up for the draft.

I'll have to change it if for some reason Oher or Laurinaitis decide not to declare.

CoMoChief
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Donnie Edwards? I wasn't around when that happened, but I'm guessing that this situation is similar. Also, we can always franchise him. We don't have anyone worth the franchise tag. And on a side note, is Brodie Croyle looking more like Carr? He definitely got sacked enough to remind me of him....
Donnie was already older than shit at that time. He has fantastic longevity as far as playing in the league.

Jared Allen is 25 years old, and may be the best or top 3 all around DE in the NFL.

CoMoChief
01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Herm said in a interview this morning players could be changing position and refered to Jared Allen playing TE as he did in the last couple of games? :hmmm:
Good, move Pollard (granted he gains some lbs) to Will and and draft Lauranitis.

FAX
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
You can always bring in a fresh DE in on obvouis passing downs or put 3 rushers on the field hell put JA stand up outside

Good point.

FAX

FAX
01-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Great idea, Herm. Move our best defensive player to tight end.

Let's try Huard out at safety while we're at it.

FAX

Donger
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

FAX

It's okay. It's a devious bluff. Herm would never let JA play TE. Too many touchdowns.

kcchiefsus
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Brilliant idea. Let's continue to completely ignore the offensive line. Awesome.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Brilliant idea. Let's continue to completely ignore the offensive line. Awesome.
who said that?

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Or, we could just reach for players, just because we need OL.

Tell you what, let's take Barry Richardson with the 5th pick.

We NEED offensive linemen, you know.

:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I suspect a HUGE disappointment for a lot of people on draft day that are demanding an OL with our first pick.

Unless Michael Oher declares, or Jake Long is still there, we're taking a defensive player.

Count on it.

Woodrow Call
01-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I suspect a HUGE disappointment for a lot of people on draft day that are demanding an OL with our first pick.

Unless Michael Oher declares, or Jake Long is still there, we're taking a defensive player.

Count on it.

Yep. Herm is big on sticking with his board and those are the only 2 he would consider drafting that high IMO.

BPA is the only way to go with this many holes to fill. Reaching for OL just because will only set the Chiefs back even more.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Yep. Herm is big on sticking with his board and those are the only 2 he would consider drafting that high IMO.
link?

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 06:04 PM
link?

Here's the link.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4506413&postcount=52

It's his opinion, after all.

:p

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4506413&postcount=52

It's his opinion, after all.

:p
he made a couple of big assertions there ....

1. Herm is big on sticking with his board.....

2. those are the only 2 he would consider drafting that high IMO

just wondering whether he had any real idea or whether he was just pulling it out of his buttocks.

el borracho
01-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Do people really think that getting a LT will solve all our problems? This team is terrible and at least two offseasons away from competition.

ceebz
01-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure how Long would fit in the Chiefs current 4-3 system, he's really more of a 3-4 end.

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Herm has been extremely consistent and adamant about this whole "sticking to the board" deal. In this case, his stubbornness works in our favor.

I'm still thinking that, prior to the draft, we'll be out in the FA market looking for offensive linemen, though. I just think that Carl will think that Herm will think that it will simply take too long to develop an oline with gobs of young players on it. They only have two years, when you think about it.

FAX

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure how Long would fit in the Chiefs current 4-3 system, he's really more of a 3-4 end.

how so?

Chris Long Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 284 | 40-Time: 4.80

first time i've heard that

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
... 1. Herm is big on sticking with his board......

That part is quite true, Mr. Laz. At least based on Herm's comments over the past two years. He's always made a big deal out of this.

FAX

kcchiefsus
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Do people really think that getting a LT will solve all our problems? This team is terrible and at least two offseasons away from competition.

But this offense is not going to improve at all without improved offensive line play. Left tackle is problem #1. Should we just ignore left tackle again? I guess so.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
But this offense is not going to improve at all without improved offensive line play. Left tackle is problem #1. Should we just ignore left tackle again? I guess so.
once again ..... who said to ignore the Left tackle position.

so your position is that must draft a left tackle with their 1st pick no matter what or you will be pissed?

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

I don't think it will solve all our problems, Mr. el borracho. It would take some good drugs and several very expensive prostitutes to do that.

Nevertheless, a solid, stud LT would make us very strong on the left side (assuming that Waters remains at LG). Then, all we have to do is plug Niswanger (sp?) in at center and work on the right side of the line. And, once the line is in place, we've made huge strides forward toward our goal of a close win at Arrowhead.

FAX

ceebz
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
how so?

Chris Long Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 284 | 40-Time: 4.80

first time i've heard that

I don't think he has the initial burst or overall quickness to consistently beat tackles.

I'm no NFL scout, that's just my opinion after watching him play a few times the last two seasons.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I think we can be competitive in 2008.

we have the skill players on offense:
RB: LJ/kolby
TE: gonzo
WR: Bowe

Defense has some possibilities, but even if we keep that out of the equation some pass protection and creative playcalling will go along way to make us competitive.

you mean all those skill players that we didn't know how to use this year?

el borracho
01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
We should take the best players available, with some consideration to what is already here. If we have to wait until the 2nd round to grab a LT that is fine with me. If we have to wait until the 3rd round to grab a LT, that is fine with me and if we have to wait until next year that is fine with me, too. That said, I will be pretty unhappy if they don't take any linemen of note this year but it doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

OnTheWarpath58
01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
he made a couple of big assertions there ....

1. Herm is big on sticking with his board.....

2. those are the only 2 he would consider drafting that high IMO

just wondering whether he had any real idea or whether he was just pulling it out of his buttocks.

I would agree with him.

One of the articles from the past few days has a comment from both Herm and Carl about sticking to the board and taking the BPA.
I'm not looking for the link, but it IS out there.

Regarding the players:

When you look at the Top 10, as it stands (no particular order)

Defense:

C. Long
Dorsey
Ellis
Laurinaitis
Rivers
Gholston

Offense:

McFadden
J. Long
Ryan
Brohm

Herm's made it perfectly clear that the organization is not impressed with Ryan or Brohm, and there's no way we're drafting McFadden, even if he is the BPA.

That leaves Jake Long and Oher if he declares on the Offensive side of the ball.

The rest are defensive players, and 4 of them are at positions of need.

Again, JMO.

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM

we have the skill players on offense:
RB: LJ/kolby
TE: gonzo
WR: Bowe

Defense has some possibilities, but even if we keep that out of the equation some pass protection and creative playcalling will go along way to make us competitive.

Agreed, Mr. findthedr. Although I'd throw Croyle into that list as a skill player on offense. I know a lot of you guys are unconvinced but, with a solid run game, some time in the pocket, and throwing lanes, Croyle will impress - I guarantee it.

As for the defense, you're exactly right. I'd like to see a kickass MLB fall out of the sky. And maybe a DT with a motor.

FAX

ceebz
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I would agree with him.

One of the articles from the past few days has a comment from both Herm and Carl about sticking to the board and taking the BPA.
I'm not looking for the link, but it IS out there.

Regarding the players:

When you look at the Top 10, as it stands (no particular order)

Defense:

C. Long
Dorsey
Ellis
Laurinaitis
Rivers
Gholston

Offense:

McFadden
J. Long
Ryan
Brohm

Herm's made it perfectly clear that the organization is not impressed with Ryan or Brohm, and there's no way we're drafting McFadden, even if he is the BPA.

That leaves Jake Long and Oher if he declares on the Offensive side of the ball.

The rest are defensive players, and 4 of them are at positions of need.

Again, JMO.

Unfortunately, regardless of what happens in the draft, I think we'll have to endure at least one more season with McIntosh at LT.

el borracho
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2006/0109/photo/a_edwards_195.jpg

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, regardless of what happens in the draft, I think we'll have to endure at least one more season with McIntosh at LT.

I sure hope not.

FAX

el borracho
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
McIntosh wasn't any good but the right side of the line was an absolute disaster. I would much rather have McIntosh at LT than have Turley or Terry at RT and/ or Welbourn at RG.

crossbow
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM

FAX

Could move our safeties to corners too. That idea never fails.

Honestly - the Chiefs can't realy screw this one up ala; trading up to get Simms with Henderson sitting there because they won't have three players of the same position to choose from. Each top 5 guy is a standout at his position. I do agree with Herm on the quarterbacks, though. I don't see a drop dead, can't miss, franchise Qb in this draft.

KcMizzou
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM

FAXI got a kick out of the poster here who (after J.A.'s first TD) said, "Great, now he's going to want TE money!"

LMAO We should be so lucky.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I was playing against the Patriots today on Madden just took a look at their roster. Their starting DL are all first round picks. Thats 3 first rounders on their line. I also looked at their OL, they start a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounder. Since 01, they have spent 4 first round picks on line players.

FAX
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I was playing against the Patriots today on Madden just took a look at their roster. Their starting DL are all first round picks. Thats 3 first rounders on their line. I also looked at their OL, they start a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounder. Since 01, they have spent 4 first round picks on line players.

I knew they had their own draftees on the lines, but I didn't realize they had that many, Mr. ChiefsCountry. Thanks for the information. A guy can learn a lot on ChiefsPlanet.

I consider the bolded statement to be highly significant. It again illuminates our failure at the draft over the past 2 decades. I can't bring myself to hate Carl Peterson to the extent some others do, but his draft history is utterly abysmal, essentially unforgivable, and ultimately confounding. I frankly don't understand how anyone with that amount of time in this league can be so completely inept at such a crucial aspect of franchise management. It's inconceivable.

It also underscores the fact that good organizations recognize you must build a team beginning with the trenches. Yet, the Chiefs have a very highly paid RB with nowhere to run.

FAX