PDA

View Full Version : Meet your possible new OC. A 31 year old coach with a Super Bowl trophy.

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 05:52 AM
He's a hot shot 31 year old coach who already has a Super Bowl trophy on his resume. He worked with Herm in NY. He's from Manhatten Kansas. He will install the zone blocking play action bootleg offense here in KC.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Staff%20Photos/Bates_mug_06.jpg

Jeremy Bates enters his second season on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in 2007 and his first year as the club’s wide receivers/quarterbacks coach. Bates has five years of NFL coaching experience and was quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets (2005) and an assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-04) before serving as the Broncos’ offensive assistant in 2006.

In his first year with the Broncos during the 2006 season, Bates was an offensive assistant and worked with Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison in coaching the offensive line. The Broncos were one of only three teams in the NFL to have two running backs post at least 670 rushing yards with Tatum Bell (1,025 yds.) and undrafted rookie Mike Bell (677 yds.) both enjoying productive seasons.

As quarterbacks coach for the Jets in 2005, Bates instructed a unit that was forced to use five different passers because of injuries. Despite the adversity, New York’s quarterbacks helped the club improve toward the end of the year with first-year starter Brooks Bollinger posting an 87.7 passer rating and leading the team to a 2-2 record in its final four games.

Bates, 31, was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers in 2004 and worked closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop in the instruction and preparation of the team’s passers. In that capacity, Bates helped Brian Griese lead the NFL in completion percentage (69.3%) in 2004 and set Buccaneers single-season records in that category along with passer rating (97.5) and yards per passing attempt (7.83).

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay as an offensive quality control coach from 2002-03.
Tampa Bay’s offense in 2003 was arguably the most productive in franchise history as Bates assisted a unit that set single-season records in total offense (340.8 ypg.) and passing offense (237.8 ypg.). In addition, the club ranked among the league’s top 10 in both categories in the same year for just the second time in Buccaneers annals.

In his first season in the NFL’s coaching ranks, Bates worked with a Buccaneers offense in 2002 that was pivotal in the franchise winning its first-ever World Championship with a victory over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. Tampa Bay’s offense was particularly dominant in the postseason, averaging 35.3 points and 334.0 yards per game in three playoff contests that year.

Bates, who attended Sevier County High School in Sevierville, Tenn., began his collegiate playing career as a quarterback at the University of Tennessee in 1995. He transferred to Rice University, where he was a two-year letterman in football from 1996-99 and was a second baseman on the school’s baseball team.

Bates’ father, Jim, is in his first season as the Broncos’ assistant head coach/defense. His brother, James, was a linebacker and defensive captain on the University of Florida’s 1996 national championship team and does television play-by-play for the Mountain West Sports Network.

Jeremy Bates was born Aug. 27, 1976, in Manhattan, Kan.
Coaching Experience: 5th NFL Season (1st with Broncos)
Denver Broncos: Offensive Assistant 2006
New York Jets: Quarterbacks 2005
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Assistant Quarterbacks 2004
Offensive Quality Control 2002-03

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Can't say I've heard his name mentioned once, but very interesting.

At least he has a psychotic stare like Jason Garrett.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9374/2600ul5.jpg

Simplex3
01-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Youth and fresh ideas? Like that'll ever happen for the Chiefs.

DenverChief
I'm not sure I'm willing to "experiment" with another n00b @ the OC position

BigRedChief
Can't say I've heard his name mentioned once, but very interesting.

At least he has a psychotic stare like Jason Garrett.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9374/2600ul5.jpgSeems like that if you don't take one of these psychotic stare pub stills your not a hot shot young coordinator.

I'm hearing that Herm's already talked to him about the job. You hearing anything?

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm hearing that Herm's already talked to him about the job. You hearing anything?

The names I've heard are the ones in the article on the website.

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:02 AM

yay

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 06:04 AM
What article? on what website?

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:04 AM

Solari gets canned

WPI

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:05 AM

http://kan.scout.com/2/716103.html

A report indicated the leading candidate to replace Solari is Eric Price, who served the last four years as offensive coordinator at the University of Texas – El Paso.

Price is no stranger to Edwards. The two worked briefly together in New York, where Price was instrumental in preparing Chad Pennington to play in the NFL.

Recently Price turned down several requests to interview at other universities. He’s focused on winning the offensive coordinator job in Kansas City. However, it’s not a lock at this point that he’ll get the job with the Chiefs.

There are other candidates surfacing, including former Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula and current Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron.

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:06 AM
On the plus side, hiring Bates would lead to an influx of hilarious "Master Bates" jokes.

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm hearing that Herm has already talked to Bates about the job. Nothings decided, yet.

But no matter who we get as OC we will be going to a zone blocking play action bootleg offense to play to the strengths of Brodie, LJ and Tony G.

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 06:12 AM
If Bates doesn't get hired then King Carl is still meddling and wanted/forced upon Herm an older, more experinced OC.

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:14 AM
If Bates doesn't get hired then King Carl is still meddling and wanted/forced upon Herm an older, more experinced OC.

Why is that suddenly a bad thing?

Cam Cameron won't be hired but he's just what we need.

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm hearing that Herm has already talked to Bates about the job. Nothings decided, yet.

But no matter who we get as OC we will be going to a zone blocking play action bootleg offense to play to the strengths of Brodie, LJ and Tony G.

gah I have visions of Jake Plummer in my head

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Why is that suddenly a bad thing?

Cam Cameron won't be hired but he's just what we need.

I wouldn't have an issue with any of the names mentioned in the article.

I have an issue with King Carl meddling in Herm's player/coach decisions. Whether they work out or not is irrelevant. We have a 19 year history that shows us that King Carl can't evaluate talent. Keep him the f$#k away from player/coach evaluations. Get him some renovation blueprints and send him off to study those.

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:25 AM
King Carl meddling in Herm's and player/coach decisions are a bad thing. Whether they work out or not is irrelevant. We have a 19 year history that shows us that King Carl can't evaluate talent. Keep him the f$#k away from player/coach evaluations. Get him some renovation blueprints and send him off to study those.

I agree, but just because we hire an older OC doesn't mean he is meddling. You trust Herm to hire an OC? Look at his history.

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 06:26 AM
You trust Herm to hire an OC? Look at his history.
ROFL Damn good point.

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:27 AM
I'll just talk to myself :rolleyes:

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 06:29 AM
ROFL Damn good point.

See how ****ed we are? I have no doubt this decision will be ****ed up. I don't want a n00b coach leading a bunch of n00b players.

We're basically sitting here thanking our lucky stars that Carl is stepping back into the shadows. Emerging from the shadows is Herman ****ing Edwards...YAY!

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't want a n00b coach leading a bunch of n00b players.

damn I think I read that somewhere before

HonestChieffan
01-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Id go for a n00b coach working with n00b players if it came with a n00b GM

Chief Chief
01-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Jeremy Bates enters his second season on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in 2007 and his first year as the club’s wide receivers/quarterbacks coach.

Perhaps this is why WR Javon Walker wants to get out of Dumver.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 06:50 AM

Perhaps he's the reason why Marshall has developed successfully. Works both ways. ;)

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM

Walker wants out of Denver because the dunx aren't going to pay him what he wants to ride the bench and cry about a hangnail

chagrin
01-02-2008, 07:08 AM

Oh no, a UTEP guy is going to be our OC? I don't like any of these suggestions.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 07:10 AM
WPI is telling me that Solari might get fired. Any of you guys heard this scoop?

chagrin
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
WPI is telling me that Solari might get fired. Any of you guys heard this scoop?

Yeah, it's in the article on the web site, heh.

Fly O.T. McWall
01-02-2008, 07:15 AM
this guy is a much high liklihood.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/02/images/tb_SPBucs_450.jpg

shaneo69
01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Repost. :)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177425

Rausch
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
gah I have visions of Jake Plummer in my head

Look exactly the same to me so far.

Well, Brodie isn't afraid to seal the deal with a hottie... :)

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Repost. :)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177425
Sorry I was out of town for that thread I guess. Good call.:thumb:

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
i'm not sure we want a young OC under Herm

we need a proven veteran OC that will have the ballz to tell Herm to STFU when it's needed.

Micjones
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Makes sense.

Edwards does want to install a zone-blocking scheme.

This would be an easier sell if he had previous OC experience.

Hydrae
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I like him already, he was born on my 16th b-day. :)

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Makes sense.

Edwards does want to install a zone-blocking scheme.

This would be an easier sell if he had previous OC experience.
ESPN is reporting that Alex Gibbs is going to be our OL coach.
Gibbs is basically the father of zone blocking. He started it in Denver. And yes, he has retired several times. He's in his mid 60's. Might be a good balance to the youth of Bates?

Frankie
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
i think Walker's issue is with the Rat. At least according to something I've read recently.

Frankie
01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Gibbs is basically the father of zone blocking. He started it in Denver. And yes, he has retired several times. He's in his mid 60's. Might be a good balance to the youth of Bates?
Didn't he coach our O-line once before? And what is Denver's issue with us concerning him?!

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Didn't he coach our O-line once before? And what is Denver's issue with us concerning him?!
Don't know the paticuliars right off the top of my head.....

BTW, his son is our secondary coach.

Thig Lyfe
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
A young yet experienced guy with no connection to the Peterson tree (where hope goes to commit multiple failed suicide attempts)? I'm in.

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM

:fire: Excellent:fire:

the donkey's will get a taste of their own medicine

ChiefsCountry
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Me and cd had this convo last night in one of the threads.

BigRedChief
01-03-2008, 04:56 AM
:fire: Excellent:fire:

the donkey's will get a taste of their own medicine
I sure hope we don't start the the leg whipping, crack back block BS that the Donks use. No matter that we suck now we don't have to stoop to their level.

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I sure hope we don't start the the leg whipping, crack back block BS

Only against the Broncos :D