PDA

View Full Version : Do you root for conference rivals in bowl games?

Frazod
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I've been rather surprised by the number of people who seem to be actively rooting for conference rivals in bowl games. While I realize that most people aren't as passionate in their hatred as I am :) this still just seems completely and totally wrong. A Missouri fan actively rooting for Kansas or Oklahoma? Screw that. And as a Missouri fan, I don't want fans of those teams rooting for mine - makes me feel dirty. So am I missing the big picture here?

Poll to follow.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
surprisingly i didn't root against the MUrons

interested to see if a dumbass tigger can actually make a poll without screwing it up.

Woodrow Call
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I can't do it. Rooting for Neb, KU, K-St, etc just feels wrong. I want to see them get their butts kicked everytime they step on the field.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Absolutely. Most SEC fans I know, do. On New Years Eve I was partying with a bunch of Tennessee fans, an Auburn fan and a South Carolina fan. We all wanted the SEC teams to win.

Some of it has to do with the constant "the SEC never plays tough OOC games" or "the SEC never plays games outside the South" mantras, but when we (as a conference) kick butt in the bowl games, it lends justification.

El Jefe
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Yes I root for Big 10 in every bowl game. I hate Michigan but was on the edge of my seat rooting for them during the Florida game. I guess I also root for the Big 10 because it's a conference that doesn't get a lot of respect. I was shocked when Mizzou put the wood on Arkansas like they did, congrats MU fans, (which includes Michigan lol).

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 10:26 AM
legitamacy??

nope ROFL ROFL

Chief Chief
USC blows out Illinois

Hawai'i gets over-exposed as a pretender when Georgia whallops 'em

Mizzou hands the Razorbacks their asses

This bowl season SUCKS!

jjchieffan
I want every big 12 team to win except KU and CU. Primarily because I despise both teams, but this year, KU even more because they did not deserve to get a BCS bowl above us. I always root against USC, and the big powerhouses as well. This year, I just wanted to see the stadium explode with both teams in it because Illinois didn't deserve to be in there either. Actually, this year, neither did USC.

Frazod
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
surprisingly i didn't root against the MUrons

interested to see if a dumbass tigger can actually make a poll without screwing it up.

Well, I did make a typo.

Feel better? :moon:

morphius
Well, them winning just betters MU's chance next year to get in the big game if they don't choke twice against OU. If both KU and OU lose, that makes MU look even weaker and hurts you next year as well...

Basically, your divisional rivals doing well in bowl games only helps you if you really believe your team may have a chance next season. If you expect to fall back into MU sucktatude barely making a bowl game, then it doesn't matter what the other teams in the conference do.

HonestChieffan
Im a conference fan once my favorite team is out. It says something for the teams when a conference rival does well.

Of the Big 12 teams I do pull hard for KU Basketball for example. But that does not preclude me from cheering on another Big 12 team in other games. I like quality sports and there are certainly well run well coached outfits out there. KU runs a high class basketball program and they have done great under the AD they have. Why would anyone not feel good for what they have going?

I had no hope Illinois could stand up to USC yesterday. Damn proud of what Illinois did this season but no way could they deal with that bunch. Zook has worked wonders in a very short time and hopefully it will continue to grow. I still pulled for Michigan to beat Fla and Ill pull for the bastards from Ohio state to win as well...dont like em, but Id rather the Big Ten win.

chasedude
01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Poll to follow.

:spock:

mikeyis4dcats.
01-02-2008, 10:30 AM
yes....except for KU and NU.

Baconeater
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, except for the goat ropers.

Frazod
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
:spock:

The thread posts before the poll does, genious.

HemiEd
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, I was rooting for Mizzou yesterday on the occasional visit I made to that channel.

I only checked in on it occasionally, since I was occupied with the Barrett-Jackson car auction rerun on the Speed channel. :D

Cochise
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
No. I don't see why I should care what some uppity other conference fan thinks about the Big 12. There is probably some benefit down the road if all our other conference teams win their bowl games, but eh. That benefit is due to the system being flawed and not because it says anything more about us than what we do between the lines.

InChiefsHell
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
In bowl games, I almost always root for the Big 12 conference. To me, it has nothing to do with my team, it's not like the NFL, so I don't mind seeing success in the Big 12.

morphius
01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
In bowl games, I almost always root for the Big 12 conference. To me, it has nothing to do with my team, it's not like the NFL, so I don't mind seeing success in the Big 12.
That is sort of how I see it, with the NFL the perceived quality of opponents only matters to fans, in college it determines everything.

pikesome
01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe I'm weird but even growing up a KU fan doesn't make me hate KState or MU. I love to see them lose to KU, badly, but I guess I look at it like they're part of the same extended family. If KU can't win it all any of the Big 12 (or more accurately the old Big 8) teams doing well still makes me happy. Except Nebraska and OU, F' them, I'd almost root for them to lose even if it hurt KU's standings.

Frazod
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I guess I should have had a "depends on which rival" option. :banghead:

sedated
01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I root for the conference because it makes my team look better.

But will never, ever, under any circumstances want MU to be more than competetive in a game, much less actually win.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes, except for KU

ROYC75
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Not everybody is like you Tim, as for me, Go Big 12, until they play the Jayhawks then that's where I draw the line.

I will admit thou, this year I was somewhat on the , I don't care if MU wins or loses after hereing all the MU shit I heard about KU being a fraud.

So right now, Screw MU ......... ( damn, frazod rubbing off on me ) :shake:

Pablo
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
No. The only way I'd be rooting for Mizzou to win is if they were playing a team game of russian roulette.

alpha_omega
01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
No. Never!

That seems akin to rooting for the Raiders, Broncos, or Chargers to win the SB....h*ll NO!

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
No. Never!

That seems akin to rooting for the Raiders, Broncos, or Chargers to win the SB....h*ll NO!

It's more like having that little brother you hate, but dang it you're going to be the only person to beat up on him, not some out-of-conference jerk.

HonestChieffan
01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
The good news from a Basketball perspective is that MU always seems to find a way to not come up to KU Standards and most of the league is fighting for second place in the old roundball game. So at least in that sport there is no real rivalry. One can be a KU fan and feel some good for MU at the same time.

In Football, both programs are evolving and doing well and thats something for both to feel some pridein both for the team and the conference.

Frazod
01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
No. The only way I'd be rooting for Mizzou to win is if they were playing a team game of russian roulette.

That's the spirit! :thumb:

88TG88
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
hell no

NewChief
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I pretty much root for SEC teams, yes. My wife is a Big 10 fan, so we always have a little SEC/Big10 rivalry going on during bowl time.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I cheered Mizzou on.

KU? I'll have to cheer them on. It's what Kansans do. Plus I'll be watching it with 40 or so KU friends,family and aquaintances. I even have a purple KSU sweatshirt that I put white tape across the "STATE" part.

It's difficult though.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I cheered Mizzou on.

KU? I'll have to cheer them on. It's what Kansans do. Plus I'll be watching it with 40 or so KU friends,family and aquaintances. I even have a purple KSU sweatshirt that I put white tape across the "STATE" part.

It's difficult though.

dude....I can oblige all but the tape on the shirt part. WTF is wrong with you?

pikesome
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
It's more like having that little brother you hate, but dang it you're going to be the only person to beat up on him, not some out-of-conference jerk.

Well said.

StcChief
01-02-2008, 03:37 PM
except for Beakers

Guru
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
The only time I root against conference rivals is when they are playing KU. I get sick of hearing about the SEC, PAC10, BIG10 and ACC all the time so I want the Big12 to always have a good showing.

I only mention ACC due to basketball season.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
dude....I can oblige all but the tape on the shirt part. WTF is wrong with you?

It's part of the fun. If ya can't laugh at yourself.....

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I cheered for Michigan yesterday. DaKCMan made me hate Florida... :)

Stewie
01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I root for the Big XII in games that matter. Other times I couldn't care less whether they win or lose - like yesterday.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
you mean it had nothing to do with this?

http://houndstooth.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bcs-trophy.jpg

or this?

http://www.sacu.com/images/SiemensTrophy2006-07.jpg

All me? Wow, I'm better than I though! :D

Que Card QB
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I've been rather surprised by the number of people who seem to be actively rooting for conference rivals in bowl games. While I realize that most people aren't as passionate in their hatred as I am :) this still just seems completely and totally wrong. A Missouri fan actively rooting for Kansas or Oklahoma? Screw that. And as a Missouri fan, I don't want fans of those teams rooting for mine - makes me feel dirty. So am I missing the big picture here?

Poll to follow.I rooted for Mizzou because I knew it would piss you off. :)

Actually, I wanted Arkansas to pound Missouri into the dirt for 4 quarters. Then I wanted Missouri to eek out a one point win in overtime on a freak fumble that Arkansas gave up kneeling the ball to run the clock out b/c a win is good for the Big XII (or something as close and lucky as that seeing how that couldn't happen in overtime).

Mosbonian
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Not everybody is like you Tim, as for me, Go Big 12, until they play the Jayhawks then that's where I draw the line.

I will admit thou, this year I was somewhat on the , I don't care if MU wins or loses after hereing all the MU shit I heard about KU being a fraud.

So right now, Screw MU ......... ( damn, frazod rubbing off on me ) :shake:

And there aren't a few KU fans who are being pretty obnoxious about MU? I've seen just as much complaining from KU fans as I have MU fans "whining" about their snubbing from the BCS.

I'm a conference guy when it comes to the Bowl season and the NCAA Tournament, even when it comes to the hated JayHonks.

mmaddog

Spicy McHaggis
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I'll root for anyone in Conference except MU and Texas.

KcMizzou
01-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Everybody but KU.

SCTrojan
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Anybody but UCLA.

eazyb81
01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

After living down in SEC country for the last few months, I've noticed that SEC fans have a much larger inferiority complex than other conference fans. SEC football is all most of these states have, so they are holding on for dear life to the "best football conference" badge of honor.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
After living down in SEC country for the last few months, I've noticed that SEC fans have a much larger inferiority complex than other conference fans. SEC football is all most of these states have, so they are holding on for dear life to the "best football conference" badge of honor.

LMAO

Yeah, SEC football is all we have in Florida.

We sure don't have shit going on in SEC country like they do in the lively meccas of Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma!!

Ari Chi3fs
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
do you root for the Broncos, Chargers, or Raiders when they go to all those superbowls? [thanks Carl]

NO, I don't. I want them to lose embarrassingly.

eazyb81
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
LMAO

Yeah, SEC football is all we have in Florida.

We sure don't have shit going on in SEC country like they do in the lively meccas of Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma!!

Did I specifically say Florida? No, I didn't. But in Alabama, Miss, Louisiana, SC, etc, yeah, SEC football is pretty much all they have.

Big 12 country focuses more on pro sports than SEC country. Plus, Big 12 and other conferences focus on the other sports; SEC is football season and football offseason. You of all people should know that - Florida bball is the easiest ticket in town even after winning two straight NCs! LOL

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Did I specifically say Florida? No, I didn't. But in Alabama, Miss, Louisiana, SC, etc, yeah, SEC football is pretty much all they have.

Big 12 country focuses more on pro sports than SEC country. Plus, Big 12 and other conferences focus on the other sports; SEC is football season and football offseason. You of all people should know that - Florida bball is the easiest ticket in town even after winning two straight NCs! LOL

Sure, SEC football is much bigger than basketball (except in Kentucky). Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida all have other professional sports teams.

Mississippi, Alabama, most of Georgia, Arkansas is bum**** land.

a1na2
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
No good choices.

Yes
No

Would be two additional that might be useful.