PDA

View Full Version : 17,808 voters in Florida switch from Dem to Republican. MSNBC baffled as to why...

Taco John
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Thousands Switch Parties: Is There A Primary Reason?

Tampa Bay Online
updated 1:10 p.m. PT, Tues., Jan. 1, 2008
By Karen Branch-Brioso of The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - The Democratic National Committee voted Aug. 25 to punish Florida for scheduling its Jan. 29 primary earlier than party rules allow, and stripped all its convention delegates.

Since then, 17,808 Hillsborough voters switched political parties, a Tribune analysis of party-switching data shows.

About 2,500 more switched their party affiliation in Pasco County.

Are they upset with the DNC move?

Some may be. Both in Hillsborough and Pasco, more than 600 voters switched out of the Democratic Party.

The national party penalty didn't seem to influence a number of others. In the same period, 4,082 Hillsborough voters switched their party affiliation to Democrat. (As did 751 Pasco voters.)

A similar action by the Republican National Committee – nixing half of Florida's convention delegates – also doesn't seem to have had much impact.

In Hillsborough, 399 voters switched from Republican to something else; 3,417 switched to the GOP.

The growing ranks of independent voters grew even more. From Aug. 25 to Dec. 27, 9,291 Hillsborough voters switched from some other affiliation to "No Party Affiliation."

A couple of thousand had left blank the party affiliation section of their registration.

When that happens, election officials mail a warning: If you don't belong to one of the major parties, you can't vote in a party primary. Those who verify they want no party affiliation – or don't respond – are added to the ranks of the NPAs.

Are you a party-switcher?

Tell us why.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22454560/

patteeu
01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd imagine that most of them plan to vote for the Republican they think their favorite democrat can beat in the general election.

jAZ
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I bet they are switching to vote for Ron Paul. Hoping for 2 anti-war candidates in the general.

Taco John
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I sent her a note:

Hi Karen,

Re: Why people are switching affiliation

Visit the following link, and scroll down about halfway down the page – and look in the left column… You’ll get your answer there.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Regards...

Iowanian
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
ronpaul is full of jello pudding.

BucEyedPea
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't think one can vote in two primaries anyway.
But there is only ONE anti-war candidate*...and it's not Obama.

Obama was for bombing Iran if necessary ( also Pakistan) and says we have to spread our values around the world. So he's an interventionist. Obama has nc fp advisors too.

* not counting Kucinich, Gravel or any libertarian party candidate.

BucEyedPea
01-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Paul has 16% of independents I read last night. Only 8% of Pubs. There's some re-alignment going on it seems. The Republicans are becoming more like JFK Democrats while the Dems move further left into deeper shades of pink. Someone has to represent the non-Fabians.

HolmeZz
01-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I sent her a note:

Hi Karen,

Re: Why people are switching affiliation

Visit the following link, and scroll down about halfway down the page – and look in the left column… You’ll get your answer there.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Regards...

God, you're f*cking loony.

HolmeZz
01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd imagine that most of them plan to vote for the Republican they think their favorite democrat can beat in the general election.

Nah, that makes too much sense. It's gotta be Ron Paul. The world revolves around a man who's still polling in single digits.

Taco John
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Nah, that makes too much sense. It's gotta be Ron Paul. The world revolves around a man who's still polling in single digits.

Hahaha! You seriously think patteeu's response makes "too much sense!"

ROFL

Baa! lambs

BucEyedPea
01-02-2008, 03:06 PM
God, you're f*cking loony.
What was it you were saying about ad hominem, again?

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM

And here I thought “accurate labels” were “ok”. :shrug:

:Poke:

HolmeZz
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Yeah, you still don't know what the phrase means. Please quit using it.