PDA

View Full Version : New (used) car advice needed

Lzen
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Gonna get rid of the old POS GM minivan and go with a small SUV. Don't know that much about them. I'm currently looking at these types:

Ford Escape - currently looking at anywhere from '03 to '06 models
Mazda Tribute - have a couple '05 models in mind
Hyundai Tuscon - just looking for lower mileage....trying to stay below 50k (that applies to any vehicle we buy)
Jeep Liberty - Not sure if the cargo space is big enough, though....seems less than Escape/Tribute

Any and all comments are welcome. Please, if you have negative comments (i.e. "Fords suck" or "you should only buy Japanese"), please give explanations for you opinions. Thanks.

Baby Lee
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
'The Bronco’s been discontinued. We’re trying to shed that whole fugitive on the run thing. This is the Escape.'

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
'The Bronco’s been discontinued. We’re trying to shed that whole fugitive on the run thing. This is the Escape.'

:LOL:

Fly O.T. McWall
01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
any particular reason you're stuck on an suv?

gas prices ain't gonna trend down, that's for sure, and suvs typically are guzzlers... bad for the environment.

Infidel Goat
01-02-2008, 10:06 AM
My wife drives a Subaru Forester, though she also considered the Honda CR-V.

I think that they are both good smaller SUVs and would prefer them to the ones you named because they have proved to be far more reliable over time as recorded in Consumer Reports.

Note: they are both Japanese models, but reliablity is the issue--particularly if you are buying a used model with little or no warrantly.

trndobrd
01-02-2008, 10:30 AM
We recently test drove the Hyundai SantaFe, CRV, and X-Terra before purchasing an Acura MDX. Here are some initial thoughts..

The Santa Fe was a very nice little SUV. There are a couple engine options, the smaller V-6 seemed a little underpowered, so I would suggest the larger V-6. The model we test drove was front wheel drive only, but got through the snow with no problems. The interior was very roomy and generally comfortable, but the seats are kind of hard. Nice handling and smooth ride. Good value for the money.

My expectations for the CRV were higher. Maybe too high. The shorter wheel base translated to a harsher ride, even on an Accord platform. It is only offered in a 4 cylinder. Honda reliability is good, but that comes at a higher cost.

The X-Terra is more of a serious off-road vehicle. For a vehicle built on a truck platform, the ride was great. If you expect car/mini-van like ride and handling, you'll be disappointed. I test drove a 2wd version. Power seemed OK, but nothing spectacular. Very spacious, but spartan interior.

MDX. Firm ride but not rough. Most luxury minded of the four, leather everything, sunroof, etc. V-6 has plenty of power. Seats 7. Acura price is higher.

thehead
01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
The wife has a 2003 ford v6 escape xlt 117000 no problems knock on wood, plenty of get up & go no rattles :)

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Toyota Highlander. The new body style is nice.

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe a used Infiniti QX-4. I had a 2000 a few yrs. ago and really liked it. Chances are you can get a used one for reasonable. Only set-back is they too are disco'd.

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:42 AM
any particular reason you're stuck on an suv?

gas prices ain't gonna trend down, that's for sure, and suvs typically are guzzlers... bad for the environment.

These SUVs that I'm looking at are smaller and get better gas mileage than something like an Explore. I don't want another minivan. I have 3 children. No damn way I'm taking a long trip in a car. Just not enough room or comfort. Some people need vehicles like this.

wutamess
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Thought along your lines a couple of years ago before I settled down and got the deal of a lifetime Ford Freestar-minivan (05 used, SE model) in 05 for $13K.

Great gas mileage and great ride.
SUV's use up too much gas.

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
These SUVs that I'm looking at are smaller and get better gas mileage than something like an Explore. I don't want another minivan. I have 3 children. No damn way I'm taking a long trip in a car. Just not enough room or comfort. Some people need vehicles like this.
Bob Dole has a nice new Mazda SUV/Car type...the CR6 me thinks...

tyton75
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe.. 2001... solid performance.. still running great with 150k on it.. no major issues

gas mileage sux my baows though.. but it about the same as any vehicle its size

Donger
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Unless something has changed, the V6 Liberty gets poor mileage. Something like 13 city and 16 highway.

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
this isn't too bad...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190850037&dealer_id=57047646&car_year=2001&model=QX4&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=INFIN&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=66601&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=46

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Thought along your lines a couple of years ago before I settled down and got the deal of a lifetime Ford Freestar-minivan (05 used, SE model) in 05 for $13K.

Great gas mileage and great ride.
SUV's use up too much gas.

Actually, Roger, the smaller SUVs that I'm looking at get as good or better gas mileage than your minivan. ;)

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
this isn't too bad...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190850037&dealer_id=57047646&car_year=2001&model=QX4&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=INFIN&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=66601&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=46

She's in Lenexa...

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Unless something has changed, the V6 Liberty gets poor mileage. Something like 13 city and 16 highway.

No kidding? Crap. I didn't realize. Let me look at the gov't site.

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
The Liberty is a pretty good rig. Mrs. Radar has an ’04.
Only service issue I’ve ever heard/read is the ball joints in the front are weak. There is a recall issued on them but it’s just a “replace as needed” deal and there is no upgrade that I know of.

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM

15 and 20. Still not too good. We were kind of steering away from those anyway after looking up close last night. Didn't seem to have as much cargo room.

BTW, I know Hondas and Toyotas are supposed to be high quality. But I'm not paying what they want for them.

Lzen
01-02-2008, 10:54 AM
We were also looking at Kia Sorentos until I saw the gas mileage. Sheesh, those things are marginally better than my Ford F150 Supercab with a V8 in it.

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Well Mrs. Radar’s does better than that but for a smallish V-6 you’d expect more than it delivers.

wutamess
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually, Roger, the smaller SUVs that I'm looking at get as good or better gas mileage than your minivan. ;)

I stand corrected. But you'll be getting more space in a minivan then an SUV... of course you already know that though having said you already own a minivan.

I'm thinking you're suffering from soccer-mom dementia.
Take Peyton's advice and paint some flames on the side of the minivan.

Lzen
01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I stand corrected. But you'll be getting more space in a minivan then an SUV... of course you already know that though having said you already own a minivan.

I'm thinking you're suffering from soccer-mom dementia.
Take Peyton's advice and paint some flames on the side of the minivan.

I love that commercial. Flames would be hilarious on a minivan. But we(read my wife) are sick the 98 Pontiac Transport minivan. She wants something that we won't feel inclined to call the Loser Cruiser.

Also, I think GM makes vehicles with major design flaws a lot of times. I vowed to never buy another GM. Only GM I ever owned that didn't have major issues was my 95 Buick Skylark.

I think as far as space, the Escapes are pretty good. They look very similar (space wise) to our van. Tribute is the same vehicle. Just has Mazda's styling on it.

HemiEd
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I just bought a new Dodge "Nitro" about a month ago. I love it, no complaints.

The miliage is outstanding (for what it is) and it handles great. Went through that "white out" on the 22nd with no problems. I put 2500 miles on it last week, and it didn't wear me out.

The room factor is a "step down" from our Durango, but that was to be expected.

I took it to my buddie's shop while in Wichita for an oil change. The technology advancements it utilizes really impressed me. Cast upper and lower contol arms, with Mcpherson strut front suspension was impressive. Aluminum differential housing!
Aluminum drive shaft in the rear with the slip joint in the middle is very nice.
I was surprised by a lot of things under there, they did not cut corners.

Tertullian
01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
KIA Sportage is also nice... NOT the older models, but more recent ones. It has OK to Good gas mileage (similar to Hyundai Tucson, but little cheaper).

Plus I recommend "System 48 Plus" (engine additive) for your used engine. It gives you more pep and increases your gas mileage. I have used it for all my cars for last 20 years. Excellent product. Check it out via Google, just type in: system 48 plus. You could buy it from eBay as well.

My father-in-law was so impressed by my 10 year old Galant's engine sound, he got the product for his car, Cadillac STS.

COchief
01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I vote Subaru Forester, best crash ratings and probably tops for gas mileage for small SUVs. It also increases the chance of lesbians hitting on your wife, therefore increasing your chance of a threesome...win-win.

On a serious note though, read up on them.

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gdm_e_hxs&feature=related

;)

Lzen
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM

;)

WTF? That hot rod driver should just shoot himself after letting a caravan beat him.

DenverChief
01-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that avg 18-20 MPG 4.0 I-6...you can buy one for around 6K

my sister owns the Acura MDX (2001) and loves it...I have drove it a couple of times and can't say I disagree with her assesment

TrebMaxx
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
My wife has an 04 Escape. The gas mileage is not too bad. Last time we took a trip we got around 26 mpg highway. In the city it does well too. We have the V-6 front WD version and it has plenty of pep. Also does well in the snow even though it is only front WD. Haven't had any problems other than 2 recalls for minor parts, but hey at least they recalled and fixed em. My biggest gripe on it is that the brake pads they used make a mess of the wheels but I will be replacing the pads with something better. The Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner and Escape are basically the same vehicle.

BigChiefFan
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Look at the Jeep Patriot. I don't know much about them, but they appear to be pretty nice and very fuel effecient. http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/patriot/

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
WTF? That hot rod driver should just shoot himself after letting a caravan beat him.

I don’t think there was much “letting” too it. Notice the minivan ran a 12.48 ¼?

HemiEd
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM

;)

that thing was flying. LMAO

Lzen
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I don’t think there was much “letting” too it. Notice the minivan ran a 12.48 ¼?

Oh, didn't notice that part. Sheesh, what the heck does he have under that hood?

Bob Dole
01-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Bob Dole has a nice new Mazda SUV/Car type...the CR6 me thinks...

CX-7. Turbocharged 4, steady 24mpg hiway and 18 city. Can actually tow 1500 pounds, which most of the others listed won't. Drives like a big sports car.

Radar Chief
01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh, didn't notice that part. Sheesh, what the heck does he have under that hood?

I think I’ve seen that van before, and if it’s the one I’m thinking of he’s just running a stock size Dodge 4 banger.
Course, he’s modified it to run with a huge Garret turbo and intercooler out of a Ford F-350 Super Duty.... ;)

HemiEd
01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
CX-7. Turbocharged 4, steady 24mpg hiway and 18 city. Can actually tow 1500 pounds, which most of the others listed won't. Drives like a big sports car.

Those are pretty nice, almost as nice as the Nitro! 24mpg (75-80) and it will tow 5000 lbs. :D

Nitro (http://www.automotive.com/2007/12/dodge/nitro/reviews/index.html)

Simply Red
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
man, I messed that all up. But I can testify; their interior are really, really nice and comfy seats.

Coach
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Lzen, you do alot of city limits driving, or just mostly highway miles driving?

Not sure if you are also looking into hybrids or not.

FRCDFED
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Anything with the name "Toyota" stamped on it! My last two trucks have been Toyota's and my brother recently rented one of their Prius hybrids. High quality vehicles!

Frosty
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM

My brother-in-law got a little better than that, but not much. Something like 18 mpg in mixed driving. Their Liberty was a real surprise for me. They had it 3 years I think, and at 80K miles, there wasn't a single squeak or rattle. They never had a single problem with it (V6 with auto). For some bizarre reason, they just traded it in on a Ford Expedition after having their first child. :rolleyes:

We have a 2006 CR-V that we are extremely happy with. It is very roomy for its size and we don't miss our van at all. Ours is FWD one and we get 28-30 mpg in rural driving. Might be a little tight for three kids, though (we have two older ones).

dtebbe
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Buy a Honda CRV. We have a Pilot and it has been wonderful, and now the CRV is one of the bigger "small" SUVs. I don't care what anyone says, Honda gives you the best bang for the buck. Change the oil, add gas, and just drive it.

Also, check out this month's Motor Trend. They did an extensive review of small SUVs.

DT

ChiefButthurt
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
this isn't too bad...

Yeah if you like a disguised station wagon. ROFL

Lzen
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Lzen, you do alot of city limits driving, or just mostly highway miles driving?

Not sure if you are also looking into hybrids or not.

Mostly city driving. But we do take some long trips occasionally.

Lzen
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM

A disguised station wagon? :hmmm: :shake: Nah, it's more like an Explorer. I sure as heck don't need the luxury version of one of those. Plus, the gas mileage isn't too great on that thing. Miles are getting up there, as well. Now you wanna see a disguised station wagon, here are some.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=232975640&dealer_id=88262&car_year=2005&model=SUBOUTBK&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=SUB&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=66606&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=3

I will admit that this is the coolest looking station wagon I've ever seen.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=234304756&dealer_id=54199980&car_year=2007&model=MAGNUM&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=DODGE&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=66606&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=4

Radar Chief
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

So, what’s wrong with station wagons? ;)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=942692

Girl’s comment at the end still cracks me up.

Cochise
01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have a liberty, but I'm happy with my Jeep, although like anything in their lineup, gas mileage is poor.

Lzen
01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
So, what’s wrong with station wagons? ;)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=942692

Girl’s comment at the end still cracks me up.

Holy shit is right. That wagon lifted up the front end when taking off. Wow.

donkhater
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Honestly, I don't know what people have against minivans. I have a Toyota Sienna and it has tons of room, it's easy to get our three kids in and out of (especially with car seat laws nowadays), it's a very smooth ride and we routinely get 26+ mpg. We've had it for 4 years put close to 60K on it and has never had a problem (knock wood). And I bet I didn't spend as much on it (25K) as some do on SUVs that don't have the gas mileage, space, comfort or reliabilty that this van has. Best purchase I ever made.

Kerberos
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Gonna get rid of the old POS GM minivan and go with a small SUV. Don't know that much about them. I'm currently looking at these types:

Hyundai Tuscon - just looking for lower mileage....trying to stay below 50k (that applies to any vehicle we buy)
Jeep Liberty - Not sure if the cargo space is big enough, though....seems less than Escape/Tribute

Any and all comments are welcome. Please, if you have negative comments (i.e. "Fords suck" or "you should only buy Japanese"), please give explanations for you opinions. Thanks.

Check your PM dude

Boyceofsummer
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
bought a 1999 Buick Park Avenue from the neighbor. Th Park Avenue is a great car and gets great mileage (front wheel drive). I'm hooked on Buick!

Coach
01-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Mostly city driving. But we do take some long trips occasionally.

Wouldn't hurt to check out some hybrids. I know the wife loves her car, but she did at times, wished she did get a hybrid, since she does alot of driving in the metro area.

Coach
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I should also mention that the wifes parents got a Honda Civiv Hybrid, if I am not mistaken. 40 on city and 45 on highway. It does look odd, but it would be pretty good if you do moderate to heavy driving.

Halfcan
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM

ROFL
Oh was that list serious?

Nissan Pathfinder is your best bet.

Sandyskc
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I just bought a Ford Freestyle. It is an 05 with 19,000 miles and got a good deal on it. It is getting about 22 in town and 27 on the highway. Three rows of seats that seat 7, and it will also lay flat to tailgate.

Lzen
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
ROFL

Ummm, what's so funny? We just acquired a couple of different car ratings resources, one being Consumer Reports. According to Consumer Reports, the Escape is better than average on a few things and much better than average on a lot of things. The Tribute is basically the same thing. Dude, there are American cars that are good, too. It doesn't have to be Japanese to be a good vehicle.

As for the Pathfinder, I'll have to look into those. Not sure if the price and gas mileage fit into my criteria.

Lzen
01-07-2008, 09:01 AM
ROFL

Fuel economy is a little lower than what I am wanting. It's about like an Explorer. I like those but am looking for something with better gas mileage. BTW, do you still work at Carmax? I went there yesterday.

PastorMikH
01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Ummm, what's so funny? We just acquired a couple of different car ratings resources, one being Consumer Reports. According to Consumer Reports, the Escape is better than average on a few things and much better than average on a lot of things. The Tribute is basically the same thing. Dude, there are American cars that are good, too. It doesn't have to be Japanese to be a good vehicle.

As for the Pathfinder, I'll have to look into those. Not sure if the price and gas mileage fit into my criteria.

I was going to suggest a Nissan Pathfinder or Exterra myself. They even have the Murano that's getting lots of looks. I think they are all a bit lower in economy than what those you listed.

The Pathfinder and Exterra are getting 20-22 highway, the Murano is getting 24-25 highway but might be a bit cramped for luggage.

bizzar54
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
We have an 04 Sante Fe about to hit 50k miles and havent had any problems. Got a lot of shit from friends for buying a Hyundai about how it would fall apart and what not but it has been nothing but a great vehicle. All WD so no problems getting around. Gets about 18/23 so going with the smaller Tuscon should definitely perform better mileage wise. You can most certainly get more options for your money since it isnt honda or toyota.

On a different note we have a 3 year old boxer that looks just like yours, best pet ever.

Bob Dole
01-07-2008, 11:19 AM
bought a 1999 Buick Park Avenue from the neighbor. Th Park Avenue is a great car and gets great mileage (front wheel drive). I'm hooked on Buick!

Have you celebrated your 60th birthday? Isn't that one of Buick's ownership requirements?

Halfcan
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Fuel economy is a little lower than what I am wanting. It's about like an Explorer. I like those but am looking for something with better gas mileage. BTW, do you still work at Carmax? I went there yesterday.

Nope-havn't been at the Max in awhile. My Mom has an Escape and it has been pretty good so far-even though its a Ford-lol

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Lzen
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
We have an 04 Sante Fe about to hit 50k miles and havent had any problems. Got a lot of shit from friends for buying a Hyundai about how it would fall apart and what not but it has been nothing but a great vehicle. All WD so no problems getting around. Gets about 18/23 so going with the smaller Tuscon should definitely perform better mileage wise. You can most certainly get more options for your money since it isnt honda or toyota.

On a different note we have a 3 year old boxer that looks just like yours, best pet ever.

Actually, we are now seriously considering the Sante Fe. Gas mileage vs room on those is about what we're looking for. Haven't really looked up close and inside or test drove one yet. But I will say that the ratings look pretty good.

As for the boxers, I have 2 of them. They are both about 14 months now. Best pet ever is right. They are great dogs.

I was going to suggest a Nissan Pathfinder or Exterra myself. They even have the Murano that's getting lots of looks. I think they are all a bit lower in economy than what those you listed.

The Pathfinder and Exterra are getting 20-22 highway, the Murano is getting 24-25 highway but might be a bit cramped for luggage.
Nissan Murano is definitely one that we would consider. I really like the styling on that one. Only problem is that they are a lot more expensive than what we're looking for at this time. No idea about gas mileage or reliability because once I saw what they are going for, I didn't bother researching anything else.

Have you celebrated your 60th birthday? Isn't that one of Buick's ownership requirements?

LOL, I guess I never got that memo. My 95 Skylark was a good car for us for a lot of years. But yeah, I did notice that most who drove a Buick were Skip's age.

Lzen
01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Update. We bought a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe from Bob Allen Ford yesterday. It's a 2.7 liter V6 with 47k miles. I think it fits right in the realm of what we were looking for. Plus, I feel that we got a fair deal. :) Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Kerberos
01-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Good for you man

I looked at Sante Fe' when the WU and I bought our 06 Trailblazer.

I really would have looked at other brands more seriously had my father in law not gotten us GMS pricing since he is retired GM employee. Couldn't even get CLOSE to pricing on anything comparable in a foriegn vehicle.

I test drove a few things like the Honda CRV but I refused to replace comfort for MPG.

Hope it all works out for you. Good luck with your purchase.

burt
01-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Update. We bought a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe from Bob Allen Ford yesterday. It's a 2.7 liter V6 with 47k miles. I think it fits right in the realm of what we were looking for. Plus, I feel that we got a fair deal. :) Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Dang, I found this thread too late to offer any advice! Actually, I bet that you are VERY happy with the Hyundai. Their reliability ratings have been great for several years now, and a late model used one can be had for a very good price. This comes from a GM Sales Manager!

Bwana
01-12-2008, 08:42 AM
LMAO

That and having blue hair.