PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Begin Search for New OC - Paul Hackett update

Count Alex's Losses
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/716329.html

One day after the Chiefs fired offensive coordinator Mike Solari and three other members of the offensive coaching staff, the process begins to find replacements. Names are already beginning to surface.

As we first reported yesterday, the Chiefs have begun preparing a preliminary list of offensive coordinator candidates. Warpaint Illustrated has learned those names include: UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula, former Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan and now Denver Broncos assistant Jeremy Bates.

The Kansas City Star mentioned the name of former Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett as a potential candidate, but according to our source, he isn't likely to be considered. Nor will the Chiefs give consideration to ex-coordinator Jimmy Raye in the same capacity.

The Chiefs will search both the college and professional ranks in order to find the best man to rebuild KCís offense. Herm Edwards is committed to rebuilding the program, and a fresh offensive take might be the best choice going forward.

It appears there isnít a clear cut front-runner at the moment, but the Chiefs are high on Price, who worked with incumbent starter Brodie Croyle at Alabama and has history with Herm Edwards in New York, where he tutored Chad Pennington.

The latest name to surface, Bates, served as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach in Denver this year, but is currently in the midst of a storm. Monday Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker told the local media he wants out of Denver. He didnít blame Bates, instead throwing his ire at head coach Mike Shanahan, but if Bates canít control a player like Walker, how can he run an entire offense in Kansas City?

The other issue is Denverís history with the Chiefs stemming from the Alex Gibbs fiasco in the 90s. The Broncos wonít likely grant Kansas City permission to talk with Bates until they decide if heíll be retained for 2008 or not. In other words, just because the Chiefs want him, doesnít mean theyíll get him.

Regardless, the Chiefs hope to have their new offensive coordinator in place before the Senior Bowl later this month.

In other Chiefs News:

- Warpaint Illustrated has confirmed that special teams coach Mike Priefer has been retained. The Chiefs felt their coverage units improved this season. We also learned that one of KC's top priorities will be to find a solid return man who can handle both punt and kickoff returns.

Eddie Drummond will not be retained in 2007 and itís not likely that Jeff Webb will be given another shot next season at returner. The Chiefs want Webb to focus on becoming the number three wide receiver.

- According to a report, one of KCís possible free agent targets might be Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. His contract demands will be the determining factor in the degree of the Chiefsí interest, but the team will look for a linebacker in free agency and in the draft.

With middle linebacker Napoleon Harris struggling and Donnie Edwards aging, the team has no depth at the position. Backup linebacker Keyaron Fox will not be retained.

- Another old friend who could return to the Chiefs in 2008 is Indianapolis Colts guard Ryan Lilja, who was cut by the Chiefs during Dick Vermeilís tenure. According to our sources, Lilja isnít likely to be re-signed by the Colts.

If that happens, the Chiefs will talk to Lilja about becoming a starter on their revamped 2008 offensive line. It appears the Chiefs will move guard Brian Waters to center and Lilja could slide in at left guard. Damion McIntosh will move to right tackle, leaving the Chiefs to fill left tackle via the draft.

The consensus at the moment is that if Michigan tackle Jake Long is on the board when the Chiefs draft either 4th or 5th, heíll be the pick. Kansas City is also high on KU left tackle Anthony Collins, who has yet to decide if heíll forgo his senior season for the Jayhawks.

Fly O.T. McWall
01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
"The other issue is Denverís history with the Chiefs stemming from the Alex Gibbs fiasco in the 90s. The Broncos wonít likely grant Kansas City permission to talk with Bates until they decide if heíll be retained for 2008 or not. In other words, just because the Chiefs want him, doesnít mean theyíll get him."

i didn't think this mattered if he was getting a promotion? i thought you could prety much hire anyone as long as it was a step up rather than a lateral move.

:shrug:

HonestChieffan
God save us. How can he possibly retain Prifer. Its all Drummonds fault? Please no no no say it aint so!!!

DaKCMan AP
If we could add Lance Briggs and Ryan Lilja in addition to a top-5 pick and a house-cleaning it would be a very good offseason.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
God save us. How can he possibly retain Prifer. Its all Drummonds fault? Please no no no say it aint so!!!

I'd fire both Drummond and the ST coach, but if he keeps the coach and gets rid of Drummond Herm's "blaming it on the player". If he keeps Drummond and gets rid of coach Herm's "blaming it on the player." If he gets rid of both, Herm's "using them as scapegoats."

Chris Meck
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
If all that is true, I like it.

I would really prefer to hire a disciple of the Coryell offense, as I'd rather not switch all the terminology on a young QB and offense that will have a lot of new faces in it.

AND, I think Brodie's arm warrants a downfield-play-action-type passing game, ala early 90's Cowboys.

Just saying.

We can get our LT in the first, and then draft BAA the rest of the way. Nice.

Nightfyre
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
- According to a report, one of KCís possible free agent targets might be Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs. His contract demands will be the determining factor in the degree of the Chiefsí interest, but the team will look for a linebacker in free agency and in the draft. I can't wait to either A) be used as a bargaining chip again or B) sign a LB who becomes completely inneffective as soon as he sets toe in Arrowhead (ala Barber.)

The consensus at the moment is that if Michigan tackle Jake Long is on the board when the Chiefs draft either 4th or 5th, heíll be the pick. Kansas City is also high on KU left tackle Anthony Collins, who has yet to decide if heíll forgo his senior season for the Jayhawks.
This a potential 2nd round option?

cdcox
"The other issue is Denverís history with the Chiefs stemming from the Alex Gibbs fiasco in the 90s. The Broncos wonít likely grant Kansas City permission to talk with Bates until they decide if heíll be retained for 2008 or not. In other words, just because the Chiefs want him, doesnít mean theyíll get him."

i didn't think this mattered if he was getting a promotion? i thought you could prety much hire anyone as long as it was a step up rather than a lateral move.

That's what I thought.

crazycoffey

coverages did seem better, quick to the ball, the return game was sucky, was it all blocking? Was it all Drummond? I don't know, but they apparently think he should have done better; I concur, BTW....

Micjones
01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Lance Briggs? Wow...
Never would've expected the Chiefs to even entertain bringing him in.

I love the thought of Lilja coming home.
He's a native Kansas Citian. And a good young Guard.

He'll go a LONG way to solidifying that interior.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I can't wait to either A) be used as a bargaining chip again or B) sign a LB who becomes completely inneffective as soon as he sets toe in Arrowhead (ala Barber.)

This a potential 2nd round option?
Barber was never the caliber that Briggs is, i say bring him on if thats true. Him and Lilja would be a big offseason for us. I'd still like to bring in a WR to help as well.

Rausch
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I'll pass on me some Callahan, thx...

booger
01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
so does this mean Nap Harris or Donnie Edwards get the ax? Carl admit a mistake? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA never happen.

booger
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd take callahan as the new OL coach.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Lilja stolen off the practice squad sounds better than cut & more likely describes his departure from Indy. I hear he is not so good

patteeu
01-02-2008, 01:21 PM

I think I recall hearing that the only promotion that matters for that purpose is from assistant to head coach (or maybe to assistant head coach). IIRC, a promotion from position coach to coordinator is considered lateral. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

Frankie
01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I'd take callahan as the new OL coach.
Isn't he the guy who developed Robert Gallery into the greates OLT in history?

BigChiefFan
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

cdcox
01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Anyone hear any thing to support the rumor of Alex Gibbs coming to KC? Fits with the zone blocking scheme and he is available.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4498425&postcount=7

TEX
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
- Warpaint Illustrated has confirmed that special teams coach Mike Priefer has been retained. The Chiefs felt their coverage units improved this season. We also learned that one of KC's top priorities will be to find a solid return man who can handle both punt and kickoff returns.

ROFL

booger
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Isn't he the guy who developed Robert Gallery into the greates OLT in history?

He started off as Gruden's OL coach and OC by name only as Gruden called the plays.

Gallery is like sims was. He was everyone's #1 prospect at the time.

I think he would be a good hire for OL but not OC.

alanm
01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll pass on me some Callahan, thx...
Callahan is a very good OC, and a great O Line coach but absolutely blows as a HC. As long as you leave him in the 2 former positions he'd be fine.

The Bad Guy
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I think Lance Briggs is so overrated it's sickening.

If this happens, I'd cut Napoleon Harris, put DJ in the middle and slide Briggs in at SLB.

The Bad Guy
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I also think Gibbs would be an outstanding hire. No one in the NFL gets more out of less than that guy with his schemes.

BigChiefFan
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I'd take Haynesworth over Briggs in heartbeat. Briggs will be a waste of money. Haynesworth on the other hand is a dominate player.

The Bad Guy
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
so does this mean Nap Harris or Donnie Edwards get the ax? Carl admit a mistake? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA never happen.

I can't imagine in a million years that the Chiefs would ax Donnie. I'd pack Napoleon's bags for him to get him the **** out of town.

The Bad Guy
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd take Haynesworth over Briggs in heartbeat. Briggs will be a waste of money. Haynesworth on the other hand is a dominate player.

I wouldn't pay Haynesworth a dime. He is a huge risk because he's really only played hard when playing for a contract.

That's a huge red flag.

King_Chief_Fan
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Anyone hear any thing to support the rumor of Alex Gibbs coming to KC? Fits with the zone blocking scheme and he is available.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4498425&postcount=7

It must be a planet exclusive. I don't think WPI has even reported that yet!!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Is it just me, or does Warpaint Illustrated get their information from the Kansas City Star? Why would anyone pay to read that when they can read the star online for free?

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I just watch the exclusive jack harry interviews with nick athan on 38thespot, so i can cheat the system!!!!!!!!

Woodrow Call
01-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Is it just me, or does Warpaint Illustrated get their information for the Kansas City Star? Why would anyone pay for to read that when they can read the star online for free?

Thats how it appears to me. I remember last offseason Teicher would report something and then a few minutes later Athan had his "new" scoop.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
With the exception of Edwards, who we knew already, who was the last effective free agent linebacker we brought in?

Cochise
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Is it just me, or does Warpaint Illustrated get their information from the Kansas City Star? Why would anyone pay to read that when they can read the star online for free?

It's always been that way. I'm not convinced that Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan has many (or any) sources other than the rest of the Kansas City media.

There's also a lot of this "X could be in the Chiefs' plans" reporting, like with Lilja. The fact that he's a free agent technically makes that true. But what the heck does it mean? Is there any information to back that up? Smells like an assumption based on little, if anything. They seem to be big into that business.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
With the exception of Edwards, who we knew already, who was the last effective free agent linebacker we brought in?

Marvcus Patton was solid for a year or two?

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
good ole marvcus patton and what about that GB packer LB we brought in, forgot him name that died.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Another member of the UCLA good ol' boy club LMAO :Poke:

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
First thanks for the article Clayton.

Second I don't get how being one of the worst special teams in the NFL = improved

Third: I like the idea of signing Lilja but no thanks to Briggs. I agree with Bad Guy totally overrated

Fourth: Surely the Chiefs wouldn't draft that KU kid with the 5th pick would they?

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
good ole marvcus patton and what about that GB packer LB we brought in, forgot him name that died.

Wayne Simmons

Cochise
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Wayne Simmons

If memory serves he got canned after the Monday Night Meltdown

BigChiefFan
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't pay Haynesworth a dime. He is a huge risk because he's really only played hard when playing for a contract.

That's a huge red flag. I don't think he's been the healthiest player in the league, but he's always been a dominate player.
He could potentially get the big payday and not perform up to his levels, but I doubt that. Haynesworth seems to play with intensity and he will command double-teams, thus improving our D-line. Free agency is always risky, but I believe our D-line would be leaps and bound better, improving every facet of the game with Haynesworth freeing up the rest. We haven't had a great DT since Saleamua-I think given our draft record, we should go after Haynesworth.

DaKCMan AP
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
If memory serves he got canned after the Monday Night Meltdown

Yes.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
We better not take Anthony Collins with the 5th pick. He's a dime a dozen. He could develop (god I hate that term), but NFW do you grab him at 5.

But this organization did trade for Herman Edwards...

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think he's been the healthiest player in the league, but he's always been a dominate player.
He could potentially get the big payday and not perform up to his levels, but I doubt that. Haynesworth seems to play with intensity and he will command double-teams, thus improving our D-line. Free agency is always risky, but I believe our D-line would be leaps and bound better, improving every facet of the game with Haynesworth freeing up the rest. We haven't had a great DT since Saleamua-I think given our draft record, we should go after Haynesworth.

I totally disagree. If the Chiefs are truly rebuilding signing a big name FA is stupid. By the time this teams gets competitive again they most likely won't be here.

Plus Haynesworth is head case and only had a good year because it is a contract year. They need to stay far far away from him and Briggs.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't Haynesworth is worth the risk.

the Talking Can
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
The latest name to surface, Bates, served as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach in Denver this year, but is currently in the midst of a storm. Monday Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker told the local media he wants out of Denver. He didnít blame Bates, instead throwing his ire at head coach Mike Shanahan, but if Bates canít control a player like Walker, how can he run an entire offense in Kansas City?"

That's dumb. It isn't Bates job to "control" Walker. That's the Rat's job.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
This year is the only year I remember Haynesworth even being all that effective.

Zouk
01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
The retention of Mike Priefer is a complete embarassment. Terrible terrible terrible.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
The latest name to surface, Bates, served as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach in Denver this year, but is currently in the midst of a storm. Monday Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker told the local media he wants out of Denver. He didnít blame Bates, instead throwing his ire at head coach Mike Shanahan, but if Bates canít control a player like Walker, how can he run an entire offense in Kansas City?"

That's dumb. It isn't Bates job to "control" Walker. That's the Rat's job.

Not to mention Walker threw a fit and demanded to be traded out of Green Bay too.

Doesn't seem like a guy in a position to complain when he spent the whole season in a tracksuit and has a history of knee injuries IIRC

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Found this on the Mange when looking for info about Bates

According to Mort the Chiefs want Alex Gibbs. That would be awesome!

david (Overland Park, KS): Who do you think fills the OC role on the Chiefs now that Solari has been let go? I remember reading that they're going to begin utilizing the Denver zone blocking scheme. Think it'll be someone from there?

Chris Mortensen: (11:47 AM ET ) Here's what I have heard and I'll share it for the first time: Herm Edwards wants to bring in Alex Gibbs to install that zone-blocking scheme. That's probably what will happen."

BigChiefFan
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I totally disagree. If the Chiefs are truly rebuilding signing a big name FA is stupid. By the time this teams gets competitive again they most likely won't be here.

Plus Haynesworth is head case and only had a good year because it is a contract year. They need to stay far far away from him and Briggs.
Rebuilding isn't going into the season with Turley, McIntosh, Dunn, Huard, etc....and yet we did. The rebuilding is a myth. Do we PREFER to get younger with great up and coming players? Absolutely we do, what team doesn't? However, we can't just sit on our thumbs and not try to improve certain areas of weakness, especially when you can get a proven veteran going into the prime of their career, who has also been considered one of the best at his position. The idea is to IMPROVE the team by any and ALL means available. We aren't going to hit on every draft pick, that's a given, especially with Carl at the helm. Ignoring a glaring weakness is what is stupid and yet we have an opportunity to do something about it and some don't want to. Let's count on a rookie 5th rounder and Tank Tyler to improve the D-line, that'll work again. :rolleyes:

patteeu
01-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Found this on the Mange when looking for info about Bates

According to Mort the Chiefs want Alex Gibbs. That would be awesome!

I agree. That would be awesome!

BigRedChief
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree. That would be awesome!
Clayton on ESPN also said that Gibbs was coming to KC as the OL coach to implement the zone blocking scheme.

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Rebuilding isn't going into the season with Turley, McIntosh, Dunn, Huard, etc....and yet we did. The rebuilding is a myth. Do we PREFER to get younger with great up and coming players? Absolutely we do, what team doesn't? However, we can't just sit on our thumbs and not try to improve certain areas of weakness, especially when you can get a proven veteran going into the prime of their career, who has also been considered one of the best at his position. The idea is to IMPROVE the team by any and ALL means available. We aren't going to hit on every draft pick, that's a given, especially with Carl at the helm. Ignoring a glaring weakness is what is stupid and yet we have an opportunity to do something about it and some don't want to. Let's count on a rookie 5th rounder and Tank Tyler to improve the D-line, that'll work again. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with you about them going into this past season rebuilding because that is not what they were doing. They were trying to squeeze 1 more year out of alot of these players.

Since the season is over both Herm and Carl have said they are going to rebuild with youth so I guess we will see if that is what they are going to do. They have also said they will not be a big player in FA and I highly doubt they will sign a big time FA's. They will try to sign guys like Lilja but IMHO it would be dumb to spend big money on Haynesworth and Briggs because this team is at least 2 years out from being competitve again.

ILChief
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't we have to get Dungver's permission to interview Bates? If so, no chance. I think we'll end up with Eric Price

Direckshun
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
We also learned that one of KC's top priorities will be to find a solid return man who can handle both punt and kickoff returns.
Hmmm...

Where could we find one of those? :banghead:

Brock
01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't we have to get Dungver's permission to interview Bates? If so, no chance. I think we'll end up with Eric Price

They can't stop him from interviewing for a promotion.

eazyb81
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Clayton on ESPN also said that Gibbs was coming to KC as the OL coach to implement the zone blocking scheme.

Clayton said Gibbs was definitely coming? Wow, that would be awesome.

kc rush
01-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Lilja stolen off the practice squad sounds better than cut & more likely describes his departure from Indy. I hear he is not so good

I could see the upcoming Rufus/Gretz/other FO mouthpiece article. Its either:

Carl and Herm have righted the wrong perpetrated by Vermeil and his staff by bringing back Lilja, a fine guard from a Superbowl winning offensive line. See people Carl and Herm are good, Dick Vermeil is bad.

- Or Ė

You fans wanted Lilja, he has come here and hasnít produced. Itís your fault. Carl and Herm are good, the fans are bad.

Frankie
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
The retention of Mike Priefer is a complete embarassment. Terrible terrible terrible.
Who was the ST member of our famed three stooges? Can't place his name? I think Priefer is his bastard son.

dallaschiefsfan
01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Who was the ST member of our famed three stooges? Can't place his name? I think Priefer is his bastard son.

Mike Stock?

Frankie
01-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Is dirty chop blocking and trying to injure the oponent a requirement of this scheme or was that just a Bronco specialty?

Frankie
01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Don't worry, the Rat will con Carl out of a first day draft pick for Bates.

Sully
01-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm quitting smoking, so I may be abit on edge...

...but it's dominANT...with an "N!"

Dominate is a verb, dominANT is an adjective!

****!!!!

cdcox
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Lilja is listed at 290, a bit undersized by conventional OL standards but perfect for the ankle busting scheme we seem to be headed for.

KCChiefsFan88
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
With middle linebacker Napoleon Harris struggling and Donnie Edwards aging, the team has no depth at the position. Backup linebacker Keyaron Fox will not be retained.

So basically the Chiefs are going to have to dive back into free agency to re-address the linebacker position and essentially correct the apparent mistakes they made by signing Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris.

This franchise is such a pathetic joke it is laughable. One step forward, two steps back.

Ari ŁmlaŁt
01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
If we could add Lance Briggs and Ryan Lilja in addition to a top-5 pick and a house-cleaning it would be a very good offseason.

KC gets free agent Linebackers EVERY year. One of these years, we HAVE to get it right.

BigRock
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
We better not take Anthony Collins with the 5th pick. He's a dime a dozen. He could develop (god I hate that term), but NFW do you grab him at 5.
It didn't say we were thinking of taking Collins with the 5th pick. Unless he has a good combine, I don't even think he's a first rounder. I took it as "if they can't/don't take Jake Long, here's another OT they like later in the draft". He might be an option in round 2.

ct
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM

ROFL

Yeah I hear Dante Hall might be cut loose.

ct
01-02-2008, 04:13 PM

****!!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Hang in there Sully!! It's 8 weeks today for me, it does get easier to get by, hang in there!!

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
It didn't say we were thinking of taking Collins with the 5th pick. Unless he has a good combine, I don't even think he's a first rounder. I took it as "if they can't/don't take Jake Long, here's another OT they like later in the draft". He might be an option in round 2.

Gotcha. I read that wrong.

noa
01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Didn't Briggs turn down some huge contract offer from the Bears? Somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million? He's going to want big money. We should add depth at LB, but I don't think he's the answer if the price tag is that huge.

Frankie
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Mike Stock?
AIYYYYEEEEE!!!!... I was hoping nobody would remember and mention that name!...

Frankie
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

****!!!!
Send your address, along with a $35 check for P&H and we will send you a dictionary of Chiefs Planet words.

Iowanian
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I anxiously await the first whining post from a Donkey fan when one of their DLinemen gets an ankle or knee hosed from this scheme.

I didn't think the back side blocking was right when the Donks did it......and still don't. I guess if its good for half of the league....

Frankie
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Is dirty chop blocking and trying to injure the oponent a requirement of this scheme or was that just a Bronco specialty?
This was NOT a rhetorical question.

Short Leash Hootie
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
why do we want a system LB that will command at least 25 million guaranteed? If not more...

Seems pretty ****ing retarded to me...

Short Leash Hootie
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I think Lance Briggs is so overrated it's sickening.

If this happens, I'd cut Napoleon Harris, put DJ in the middle and slide Briggs in at SLB.
Wow, totally, 100% agree.

Briggs was slightly better than Warrick Holdman who played his position with the Bears before Briggs took over...and definitely not an upgrade to Roosevelt Colvin.

The Bears have been shooting out quality LB's for years now, and I guarantee Jamar Williams produces similar to Briggs next year for the Bears.

If we sign Briggs I will be disappointed...not because he wouldn't be an upgrade, but because we don't need to spend 30 million + on a system LB that likely will never see another pro bowl.

Cochise
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I anxiously await the first whining post from a Donkey fan when one of their DLinemen gets an ankle or knee hosed from this scheme.

I didn't think the back side blocking was right when the Donks did it......and still don't. I guess if its good for half of the league....

The league has created rules for QBs and WRs to protect them from injury, I don't see why they would never do the same for linemen. Probably right after we go with it.

I hate to see the game played that way, honestly. I was proud when we had the Roaf/Shields line that we didn't have to dive at knees and ankles to dominate at the LOS.

SCTrojan
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
On USC message boards, this individual is referred to as He Who Must Not Be Named.

Frankie
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
On USC message boards, this individual is referred to as He Who Must Not Be Named.
Who dat?

SCTrojan
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Who dat?

The first person mentioned as a candidate for the OC job. (In bold in the first post)

RustShack
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Voldemort?

C-Mac
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Another old friend who could return to the Chiefs in 2008 is Indianapolis Colts guard Ryan Lilja, who was cut by the Chiefs during Dick Vermeilís tenure. According to our sources, Lilja isnít likely to be re-signed by the Colts.

:rolleyes:
Lilja wasnt cut, he was signed from the practice squad and Vermiel was ticked about it.

Count Alex's Losses
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM

It's just you.

booger
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I can't imagine in a million years that the Chiefs would ax Donnie. I'd pack Napoleon's bags for him to get him the **** out of town.

I'd rather see Nate Harris or Johnny Baldwin start at MLB and learn than see Nap back. With the cap room we should have and cutting other dead weight, I would hope they admit the mistake and move on rather than hold on to him like Bell.