doomy3
01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
wow, that's a lot of money

Short Leash Hootie
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
what a moron

Bearcat
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking you couldn't walk into a bank and cash a $185,000 check that's not paid to you, so the article is pretty dumb. If the kid had tried to cash it, the Fark headline would be "McIdiot tries to cash $185,000 check".

Short Leash Hootie
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
what if the check was made out to cash?!

Bearcat
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
what if the check was made out to cash?!
It wasn't...
The check, which was made out to property owner Ed Lord, was handed over Monday to Kathy Lord-Richard at a downtown bank, the newspaper said. She gave Damone a card with $50 inside as a thank-you gift.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/01/02/man_returns_185000_check_to_owner/4470/

...but I'm still thinking no. There could have been a stop check on it, and even had it been cashed, I'm thinking a kid on food stamps isn't going to stand much of a chance vs. someone who pays $200,000 rent.

(edit: I'm assuming you still couldn't just walk in a bank and walk out with the money... I'd hope they would ID the kid or something...)

kstater
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
what a moron

Huh?

kstater
01-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I got a bigger reward than $50 for returning a bracelet I found one time.

Donger
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I once chased down a guy who was in front of me at the bank ATM who left $200.00 sticking out the machine. It took something crazy like six stop lights for him to finally figure out that I wasn't trying to kill him.

WhitiE
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I once chased down a guy who was in front of me at the bank ATM who left $200.00 sticking out the machine. It took something crazy like six stop lights for him to finally figure out that I wasn't trying to kill him.
dude wth? stop and walk home with your new money....

Donger
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM

It wasn't my money. The guy was having trouble working the ATM and then drove of in flustration, a little too soon. That guy was going to get his money back, even if I had to ram his car.

chiefbowe82
01-02-2008, 05:16 PM

you wichita people :rolleyes:

Rain Man
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM

You should have given him his money and then said, "Now...this is a stickup."

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
It wasn't my money. The guy was having trouble working the ATM and then drove of in flustration, a little too soon. That guy was going to get his money back, even if I had to ram his car.
Not many people like you, very nice.

As for a check made out to cash, you might have to show the ID etc, no one will get away with that shit for 185k

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I got a bigger reward than $50 for returning a bracelet I found one time.
BJ?

Donger
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
You should have given him his money and then said, "Now...this is a stickup."

Honestly, he looked scared out of his mind when I walked up to his door. I was actually laughing hysterically, because I had been waving this cash at him from my car at every light, and the tard still didn't get it.

kcfan82
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
The idiot is the person that dropped 185K on the ground to begin with.

Rain Man
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
While it makes for a nice story, I agree with others here. The guy really couldn't have done anything else with it. No bank will cash a $185,000 check and just hand you a suitcase of money without a lot of checking.

JohninGpt
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
No big deal, every time I write a check this big it gets returned.

kcfan82
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
While it makes for a nice story, I agree with others here. The guy really couldn't have done anything else with it. No bank will cash a $185,000 check and just hand you a suitcase of money without a lot of checking.

Take it to a Dillons grocery store, no questions asked :)

Sure-Oz
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
exactly, a stop pay will be made on it anyway, it could be traced back etc, they aren't going to just hand over that kind of dough unless you had over 100k anyway.

BigVE
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Too true. I had a check that was for a fraction of that amount and it was made out to me and I put in MY checking account...bank made me wait 3-5 days before it was actually posted to my account!

Thig Lyfe
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Frank Abagnale woulda been $185,000 richer.

plbrdude
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM

rep

ChiefsFanInIndy
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm thinking you couldn't walk into a bank and cash a $185,000 check that's not paid to you, so the article is pretty dumb. If the kid had tried to cash it, the Fark headline would be "McIdiot tries to cash $185,000 check".

Finally, someone with a brain. Fifty bucks is a good reward for a piece of paper totally worthless to anyone but who's name was on it. And even if it was made out to cash, no bank would cash it without verifying it's authenticity.

And another thing the mensa members on here aren't thinking about, the second you realize you lost a 185k check, you stop payment on it.

You are right, whoever wrote that article was having a slow news day to make it sound like more then it was and it's stupid. The lucky McDude got 50 bucks and 15 minutes for nothing.

DaFace
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Yep.

mcan
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
You can't cash the check. But you can use the information on that check (account/routing/signature, etc...) for all sorts of fraudulant things.

kstater
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
BJ?

It was a damn good gummer.

Hydrae
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM

You probably would have done more that $200 worth of damage to his car. :p

mikey23545
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
what a moron

Why don't you just die and make the world a better place?

88TG88
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I would've tore that check up. You don't deserve it if you can't keep it in your pocket.

Pablo
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
My student loan check was for less than 1/10 that amount, and it still took the bank nearly 3 weeks of holding my check until I could withdraw the full amount. The gave me something like 1/3 the entire amount after 10 business days, and the remainder after 21 business days.

"Blank Check" was just a movie. Albeit an awesome movie, stuff like that doesn't happen unless you're ready to get nailed to the wall.

Joie
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I cashiered at a truck stop when I was a teenager and people were always handing me non-winning lottery tickets to throw away. One day someone handed me a ticket that was a $100 winner to throw out. The money gets taken out of the register with so I could have easily taken it without recourse. I ran out of the store and chased them halfway to their car so they could have their winnings. They gave me a $10 tip for my honesty. I would never have forgiven myself for taking that $100.

shyguyms
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
he couldn't keep it , they would of took his food stamps away,lol

Cochise
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
When I was in college I used an ATM in Maryville, and instead of the $40 or whatever I had asked for it gave me over a hundred. The bills were new and stuck together and the machine was making this grinding noise while it was vending, something was clearly malfunctioning.

I took the bills inside and up to a teller, she first looked at me like I was stupid, and didn't even thank me. I mean, hey, I didn't want to be put in the newspaper but a simple thank you for someone who did a kindness would be nice.

Joie
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
When I was in college I used an ATM in Maryville, and instead of the $40 or whatever I had asked for it gave me over a hundred. The bills were new and stuck together and the machine was making this grinding noise while it was vending, something was clearly malfunctioning.

I took the bills inside and up to a teller, she first looked at me like I was stupid, and didn't even thank me. I mean, hey, I didn't want to be put in the newspaper but a simple thank you for someone who did a kindness would be nice.
I went through the drive-thru at the bank with my dad one time to cash my check. The teller gave me $5 more than she was supposed to. My dad and I waited in a long line to give her back the $5 and she was amazed that we hadn't kept it. Our parents just didn't raise us to take what's not ours. My brother dropped a wallet when we were little and when we went back to get it the few dollars he'd had inside was missing. He was devastated. I think that taught us both a lesson about keeping money that we find.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM

That would probably be the only time I'd make an exception. God knows my bank doesn't let me off the hook if I make a mistake.