PDA

View Full Version : Hermy says the new OC will have experience calling plays

BigRock
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/428237.html

There's a article at the Star about the old offense being put out to pasture and what Herm wants to see in the new one, and blah blah blah, but I thought this was the interesting part:

Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

I think that eliminates some rumored candidates, doesn't it? The WR coach from Denver hasn't been a coordinator. Who else hasn't? I'm drawing a blank.

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I think he's the only one that eliminates. Bates is QB/WR coach, BTW.

BigRock
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Wasn't there was a QB coach from somewhere being talked about? Not Shula. I can't think of who. Maybe I dreamed it.

OnTheWarpath58
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
This is interesting:

“When you hire a new offensive coordinator, you have to give him the ability to hire guys that he wants to hire,” Edwards said. “That’s not fair to him to give him too many of the position coaches.”

But apparently, it's OK to give him Embree and Curl?

While highly unlikely, I guess that could be construed as a glimmer of hope that Curl could still be let go.

Ah, who am I kidding.

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I found this interesting as well:

“You have to be balanced,” he said. “You have to be creative to keep the defense on their heels. You never want them to get comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to have different ways to run the ball, and you have to have different ways to stretch the field in the passing game. You have to be able to make chunks and get big plays in the passing game. It’s too hard to travel 70 yards on a football field all with short gains.

“Looking at it from the defensive side, you hate those types of offenses, the ones that can pound you running or also hit you for 50 yards. You don’t like playing against that. That’s tough stuff.

“I want the ability to play fast-break offense. Some weeks, that’s going to be the best way for us to win. You have to be able to take advantage of people’s weaknesses. If you’re playing a team that isn’t very good when they get into their nickel defense, you might have to throw the ball 40 times if that’s the best way for us to win the game. But you have to have an offense that has the ability to do that.”

That sounds alot like what Marty said when he decided to change the offense in the mid 90's. I will believe it when I see it

philfree
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I like the sound of it now we'll see what we bring in.

PhilFree:arrow:

RustShack
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Wheather college of NFL, I think hes hinting to Price who is an OC in college.

C-Mac
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
This is interesting:

But apparently, it's OK to give him Embree and Curl?

While highly unlikely, I guess that could be construed as a glimmer of hope that Curl could still be let go.

Ah, who am I kidding.

I wouldnt be surprised if they hire a new QB coach and still have Curl around to be Herms little timekeeper and yes man.

OnTheWarpath58
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if they hire a new QB coach and still have Curl around to be Herms little timekeeper and yes man.

Kinda what I was thinking earlier today.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Simplex3
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Herm should have phrased it this way:

"Unlike me, the new OC will have some basic qualifications for the job he's hired to do."

Simplex3
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
...still have Curl around to be Herms little timekeeper and yes man.
Which make sense, because they did such a marvelous job of clock management this year.

siberian khatru
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
That sounds alot like what Marty said when he decided to change the offense in the mid 90's. I will believe it when I see it

Haha, when I read it the first thing that came to mind was "chunks of yards."

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said

Huh? So going from DB coach to HC doesn't qualify?

cdcox
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Has Alex Gibbs ever called plays? That would be another rumored candidate thrown under the Herm express.

KcMizzou
01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Paul Hackett has experience calling plays.

cdcox
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't you just love a guy who can't distinguish between his own experience and universal experience.

"I hired a guy who had never called plays before. He failed. Therefore no one who hasn't called playes before is qualified."

It's not as if there haven't been tons of guys who were successful in their first gig as OC.

dirk digler
01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Haha, when I read it the first thing that came to mind was "chunks of yards."

Yep and Herm actually says chunks.

C-Mac
Huh? So going from DB coach to HC doesn't qualify?

It worked out OK for some "DB coach to HC" guys like Dungy, Cohwer, Belichick.......

cdcox
I do agree with this though, as it is exactly what I've been saying since the Colts debacle.

“You have to be balanced,” he said. “You have to be creative to keep the defense on their heels. You never want them to get comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to have different ways to run the ball, and you have to have different ways to stretch the field in the passing game. You have to be able to make chunks and get big plays in the passing game. It’s too hard to travel 70 yards on a football field all with short gains.

CoMoChief
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Herm is so full of shit.

Why the **** did he hire an Oline coach as an OC to begin with if he knew he needed someone with experience?

C-Mac
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Don't you just love a guy who can't distinguish between his own experience and universal experience.

"I hired a guy who had never called plays before. He failed. Therefore no one who hasn't called playes before is qualified."

It's not as if there haven't been tons of guys who were successful in their first gig as OC.

In Herms defense, I really think that CP had a lot to do with him keeping Solari.

KcMizzou
01-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I do agree with this though, as it is exactly what I've been saying since the Colts debacle.That's the thing. Herm knows that... of course he does. Who the hell doesn't?

The question is, can he make it happen. I say the jury's still out. Let's see what he can do with a little time. You've gotta tear it down before you can build from the ground up.

cdcox
01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
In Herms defense, I really think that CP had a lot to do with him keeping Solari.

Regardless, you should not be afraid to hire a new OC. The brightest minds in the game are going to go from their first OC gig to HC. Herm just eliminated the possibility of getting one of those guys.

KcMizzou
01-02-2008, 10:55 PM
In Herms defense, I really think that CP had a lot to do with him keeping Solari.Everything to do with it.

If you hire a coach, don't handicap him right of the bat. Let him do his thing. Trust him.

If you don't trust his judgement, don't ****ing make him your coach!

Count Zarth
01-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Regardless, you should not be afraid to hire a new OC. The brightest minds in the game are going to go from their first OC gig to HC. Herm just eliminated the possibility of getting one of those guys.

Not necessarily. Price could be one of those guys.

ChiTown
01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Everything to do with it.

If you hire a coach, don't handicap him right of the bat. Let him do his thing. Trust him.

:bravo: Amen!

cdcox
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
That's the thing. Herm knows that... of course he does. Who the hell doesn't?

The person most able to say whether Herm knew that or not isn't talking. It is hard to breathe, let alone speak, when there is a bus on your chest.

We ran an adequate offense (in terms of scheme) in 2006 up to the playoff game. Then we downshifted to a less than adequate offense (in terms of scheme) beginning with the playoff game. It was announced after the playoff game (by Herm) that we were going to a simplified offense in 2007. I'm not giving Herm a free pass on the predictability and failure to stretch the field in 2007. Herm at least consented. I suspect he was the impetus.

Baconeater
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
So does that ex-Nebraska coach guy. :banghead:

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
It worked out OK for some "DB coach to HC" guys like Dungy, Cohwer, Belichick

all those individuals were DC's before they got their HC jobs

ChiTown
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
So does that ex-Nebraska coach guy. :banghead:

I would rather have a "neckectomy"................

C-Mac
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
all those individuals were DC's before they got their HC jobs
True, and after reading your post again I probably misunderstood you. I was making a point that none of them had ever called offensive plays.

OnTheWarpath58
01-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Everything to do with it.

Bingo.

Having Solari forced on him by CP only made the matter worse.

I have a feeling that Clark told Carl in some form to get his hand out of the cookie jar, and he'd be allowed to finish out his contract. Continue to meddle, and your fired.

Carl took the guaranteed paycheck, started openly talking about rebuilding, and all the CP/DV holdover were dismissed.

Interesting timing.

Logical
01-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Facing facts CP wanted a link to the Vermiel offense and had it with Solari, Herm did not want that so Solari was doomed to fail. Is he a bad coordinator, maybe, but I doubt we will really know?

C-Mac
01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Facing facts CP wanted a link to the Vermiel offense and had it with Solari, Herm did not want that so Solari was doomed to fail. Is he a bad coordinator, maybe, but I doubt we will really know?
Oh I think we have a real good clue when Solari himself admits he just wants go back to being a Oline coach somewhere.

Tits McGee
01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Experience is code for a recycled retread from another losing franchise.

Tits McGee
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM

Look at the great heights Hackett took USC too, oh, wait, uhhh...

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Herm should have phrased it this way:

"Unlike me, the new OC will have some basic qualifications for the job he's hired to do."
ROFL ROFL

Mr. Laz
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Herm is so full of shit.

Why the **** did he hire an Oline coach as an OC to begin with if he knew he needed someone with experience?
cause deep inside he wanted our fancy Arena league offense to crash and burn so he could shove martyball down our throats.

Jayhawkerman2001
01-03-2008, 03:47 AM
for some odd reason, im really thinking that mike martz is going to be our new OC. that'd be prety awesome, because he's a lot like saunders in a way.

Chan93lx50
01-03-2008, 04:44 AM
for some odd reason, im really thinking that mike martz is going to be our new OC. that'd be prety awesome, because he's a lot like saunders in a way.

I would take it, but Herm probably wants nothing to do with anything that resembles Vermiels Offense.

Saggysack
01-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Oh Goody. Here comes the all world tandem of Jimmy Raye and Paul Hackett.

J Diddy
01-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Oh I think we have a real good clue when Solari himself admits he just wants go back to being a Oline coach somewhere.

If my team had the showing that it had the last 2 years, i would want to hide under a rock

HonestChieffan
01-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Herm is so full of shit.

He is over it.

Skip Towne
01-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I wonder what Dick Curl does all day.

HonestChieffan
01-03-2008, 06:57 AM

Gets up.
Wanders around.
Looks for someone his age to talk to.
Remembers the good old days.

RedThat
01-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Herm and Martz don't go together. One does just the opposite of the other. Herm believes in running too much, Martz believes in passing too much.

Herm and Martz aren't on the same page. I think it is highly unlikely we get Martz here.

J Diddy
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM

i wonder what his parents were thinking of when naming him dick curl

sounds like a penis excercise

KcMizzou
01-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Herm and Martz don't go together. One does just the opposite of the other. Herm believes in running too much, Martz believes in passing too much.

Herm and Martz aren't on the same page. I think it is highly unlikely we get Martz here.I'd also tend to agree with what Keitzman was saying yesterday.

Not many head coaches are going to want to hire Martz or Billick. They're a threat, and Martz at least has a reputation as a guy who'd stab you in the back and take your job.

DaKCMan AP
01-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Look for Billick to take Parcells' gig on ESPN.

TEX
01-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

Um...well who hired him in the first place? Moron. If it was CP - then have the balls to say so. If your're gonna do something you ****ING coward - OWN IT.

Just ****ING hire Cam Cameron and be done with it - idiot.

HemiEd
01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I'd also tend to agree with what Keitzman was saying yesterday.

Not many head coaches are going to want to hire Martz or Billick. They're a threat, and Martz at least has a reputation as a guy who'd stab you in the back and take your job.

This puzzles me, they must really suck at golf.

Why, with all the money they have made, do they even want another gig?

ping2000
01-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Tries to straighten it out.

KcMizzou
01-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Gets up.
Wanders around.
Looks for someone his age to talk to.
Remembers the good old days.Hangs out at the nearest car dealership for the free coffee?

MahiMike
01-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Yep and Herm actually says chunks.

He meant "BLOW chunks".

MahiMike
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
i wonder what his parents were thinking of when naming him dick curl

sounds like a penis excercise

Wonder what his brother, Boner, thinks...