PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Flooring...

penguinz
01-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I am going to be putting down some 5/8" x 3-3/4" Horizontal Natural Bamboo Flooring. Any one have experience with this stuff? One recommendation I have heard is to put down a double layer of felt paper.

HonestChieffan
01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I d get that hottie from DIY network to help do it.

DBO82
01-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Dont get a kaola bear for a pet.

MahiMike
01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
What? Hasn't Al Gore taught you ANYthing?

Donger
01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Dont get a kaola bear for a pet.

Why?

penguinz
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Dont get a kaola bear for a pet.WTF does Koala Bears half to do with Bamboo? If you are trying to be clever then you probably should have said Panda.

Sanka
01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a few bed rooms in my house with bamboo flooring, don't know how it was done. But it looks really nice and very differnt from regular wood floors.

Delano
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
What? Hasn't Al Gore taught you ANYthing?

As far as hard wood flooring goes, bamboo is probably the most sustainable source.

Pushead2
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Isn't that what that kid got lashed with in singapore for spraypainting cars??? Sweetttt....

Phobia
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I have about 800 sq foot of bamboo planks in my home. I put down 30 wt paper and we're pretty happy with the stuff. It scratches and dents just like any other hardwood floor so exercise utmost care when moving furniture around on it. Every scratch I have is due to the movement of some kind of furniture.

penguinz
01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I have about 800 sq foot of bamboo planks in my home. I put down 30 wt paper and we're pretty happy with the stuff. It scratches and dents just like any other hardwood floor so exercise utmost care when moving furniture around on it. Every scratch I have is due to the movement of some kind of furniture.Did you nail or glue? I was planning on nailing.

Phobia
01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Nailed only. The problem I found was that there wasn't much available in the way of transition strips. I had to custom fabricate every single one of mine.

RJ
01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I have about 800 sq foot of bamboo planks in my home. I put down 30 wt paper and we're pretty happy with the stuff. It scratches and dents just like any other hardwood floor so exercise utmost care when moving furniture around on it. Every scratch I have is due to the movement of some kind of furniture.

Buy felt pads for your furniture. You can buy large sheets with velcro attached and cut to fit odd or very large shapes.

Phobia
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Buy felt pads for your furniture. You can buy large sheets with velcro attached and cut to fit odd or very large shapes.

Yeah, thanks. I have. I think one instance was when something gritty got stuck in a pad and the cleaning lady slid the chair all over the floor. At least I couldn't find any staples, nails, or anything that would have caused that kind of scratching. The other time was refrigerator related. I was too stupid to put something under the fridge while we were taking the doors off to carry it downstairs.

penguinz
01-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Nailed only. The problem I found was that there wasn't much available in the way of transition strips. I had to custom fabricate every single one of mine.The stuff I am getting has reducers and stair noses which are all I need. They also have Threshhold, quarter round and t-molding.

RJ
01-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Did you nail or glue? I was planning on nailing.

If you already have the tools you might as well nail it. Good quality wood floor adhesive is pricey.

RJ
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I forgot to ask, is the bamboo solid or engineered?

penguinz
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
If you already have the tools you might as well nail it. Good quality wood floor adhesive is pricey.
I was planning on nailing. No toxic fumes and I can rent an angled floor nailer for cheaper than what the glue would cost.

penguinz
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I forgot to ask, is the bamboo solid or engineered?
Solid

RJ
01-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Solid

Then definitely nail and definitely follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding acclimation before you even open a box. I can tell you from experience (I sell the stuff) that your warranty is worthless if you don't do that. Hopefully you're in a more humid climate than what we have here in New Mexico, bamboo likes humid. If you don't, you should invest in a humidifier.

Feel free to PM me if you need to. I don't install but I know lots of people who do.

penguinz
01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Then definitely nail and definitely follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding acclimation before you even open a box. I can tell you from experience (I sell the stuff) that your warranty is worthless if you don't do that. Hopefully you're in a more humid climate than what we have here in New Mexico, bamboo likes humid. If you don't, you should invest in a humidifier.

Feel free to PM me if you need to. I don't install but I know lots of people who do.Thanks!

manchambo
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I put down the snap together floor in my family room. We put down a layer of plastic (had to because it's on top of slab) and a layer of cork (1/8 inch I believe) underneath. We're pleased with the results, and it only took a day to do.

We ordered the stuff off ifloor.com--cheap and easy.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I've had bamboo in my house for over 5 years. There was no paper installed under the flooring. It's the hardest wood available in flooring and looks great.

I've got two yellow labs and the finish is scratched like crazy. It's an aluminum oxide finish and it's very soft. The actual bamboo isn't scratched, just the finish. I often wonder why they don't use something more scratch resistant.

Other than that, it looks amazing and visitors are always very complimentary regarding the floors.