PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of Modem/Router help

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Bear with me, I'm not the most tech-savvy guy on the block, and I need your help.

We have DSL service through ATT. A couple of months ago, our old 2WIRE modem shot craps and ATT sent out a new one and installed a dedicated phone line for it. (we were getting some kind of interference, even with the filters)

The original modem was a modem only. I had a D-Link router hooked up to it so we could use the laptop throughout the house.

When the ATT guys come, they bring a new modem, which has a built-in router. Our service to our desktop is great, not a single interruption. But the signal strength from the internal router is weak. Even when my laptop shows a strong signal, It runs slow.

So my question is this:

Is there either a way to "boost" the signal strength of the current modem/router?

Or is there a way to hook up my old D-Link to the new modem/router and (assuming) disable the router signal from the ATT piece of crap?

Please help.

Wife on rampage. Need quick fix.

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Somebody?

Anybody?

This should be an easy answer for you tech gurus.

chasedude
01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
There is a way to disable the router features in the modems. I've done this because I've had to setup separate VPN (Virtual Private Network) routers to my work. Most often enough you can login to your A&TT router through a web based screen, It usually is your gateway address. Most of the time the interface is standard and easily to move around. I feel better talking someone through on the phone than through posts. I can sure help you out if you'd like.

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
There is a way to disable the router features in the modems. I've done this because I've had to setup separate VPN (Virtual Private Network) routers to my work. Most often enough you can login to your A&TT router through a web based screen, It usually is your gateway address. Most of the time the interface is standard and easily to move around. I feel better talking someone through on the phone than through posts. I can sure help you out if you'd like.

Dumb question #1:

How do I find my gateway address?

I was smart enough to bookmark it for the Dlink router, but forgot to for the new ATT modem.

Fish
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Hmmm.... a few questions first...

Do you have the same service? As in X mbps download/ Y mbps upload?

Is the router in a different location? Does it have an antenna?

You can disable the built-in router feature and have your router handle that, but it's not very easy to do. You'd need all your documentation on how to connect to the built-in router.

You can request a repeater from ATT, but they'll charge you for it. Not sure how much.

I think best case would be to call them and complain as much as possible. Maybe even run some speed tests on the laptop to see what you're actually getting. Google "line speed test".

Fish
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Dumb question #1:

How do I find my gateway address?

I was smart enough to bookmark it for the Dlink router, but forgot to for the new ATT modem.

Right-click My Network Places\Properties
Right-click Local Area Connection\Properties
Click Support Tab
Default Gateway will be listed.

Or go to Start\Run…. Then type “cmd”
Then type ipconfig -all

chasedude
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Click Your start button and then click "Run"

Type CMD in the run box and a DOS window will popup.

Type in ipconfig at the prompt and hit your enter key

There will be a grouping of numbers, IP addresses.

The default gateway IP address is the number you will type in your internet browser window. Some routers require you to use Secure Socket (https) so you may have to try both http and https to see if it brings up a prompt for you.

SLAG
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
im guessing this is a 2wire gateway modem/ router

the default gateway address to access the web is http://2wire.gateway.net

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hmmm.... a few questions first...

Do you have the same service? As in X mbps download/ Y mbps upload?

Is the router in a different location? Does it have an antenna?

You can disable the built-in router feature and have your router handle that, but it's not very easy to do. You'd need all your documentation on how to connect to the built-in router.

You can request a repeater from ATT, but they'll charge you for it. Not sure how much.

I think best case would be to call them and complain as much as possible. Maybe even run some speed tests on the laptop to see what you're actually getting. Google "line speed test".

Speed is fine on the desktop, where the modem/router is plugged in.

It's when I take the laptop down to the basement, the I get slower service and a weaker signal.

I never had that problem before with my old router.

And to answer your other question:

The new modem/router does NOT have an antenna.

My old Dlink does.

Vegas_Dave
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Wife on rampage. Need quick fix.

Antifreeze?

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Alright, got the default gateway address.

And Fish, the model of the modem/router is:

2Wire 2701HG-B

The old Dlink router is a DI-624

Fish
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Connecting with your Macbook?

Do you have any other wireless devices?

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Connecting with your Macbook?

Do you have any other wireless devices?

MacBook only.

Fish
01-03-2008, 03:41 PM
MacBook only.

Looking into the specs, there is a variable power setting that you can change to increase the power output of the router from 100 to 400mW. It could be set to it's lowest(safest) value. You also have 10 different channels you could try. You may be getting interference from some other device. It could be set for 802.11b instead of 802.11g as well.

You can modify each by accessing the router config. You can do so by opening a browser on your desktop and entering:

192.168.1.254 or http://2wire.gateway.net or http://gateway.2wire.net

One of those will work. I've seen all three listed, so I'm not sure which one. If it asks you for a password and you don't know it.... you'll have to hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15+ sec to reset it back to factory.

From there you'll go to the config and adjust the above settings. Might take some nosing around to find it, but they're usually pretty straightforward.

Try setting the channel to 10, and turning up the power setting to 9. Also, you're Macbook is 802.11g so make sure that it's set for just "g" and not "b+g".

The router does have a built-in antenna..... so you should be getting the same signal strength as the D-Link...

Give that a try....

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Looking into the specs, there is a variable power setting that you can change to increase the power output of the router from 100 to 400mW. It could be set to it's lowest(safest) value. You also have 10 different channels you could try. You may be getting interference from some other device. It could be set for 802.11b instead of 802.11g as well.

You can modify each by accessing the router config. You can do so by opening a browser on your desktop and entering:

192.168.1.254 or http://2wire.gateway.net or http://gateway.2wire.net

One of those will work. I've seen all three listed, so I'm not sure which one. If it asks you for a password and you don't know it.... you'll have to hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15+ sec to reset it back to factory.

From there you'll go to the config and adjust the above settings. Might take some nosing around to find it, but they're usually pretty straightforward.

Try setting the channel to 10, and turning up the power setting to 9. Also, you're Macbook is 802.11g so make sure that it's set for just "g" and not "b+g".

The router does have a built-in antenna..... so you should be getting the same signal strength as the D-Link...

Give that a try....

Nate, you ARE the man.

Channel was on 1, power was on 4, and it was set to 802.11 b+g.

I now have a happy wife, and blazing quick wireless access.

First two rounds are on me next time I'm in town.

Thanks for your time.

Fish
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Nate, you ARE the man.

Channel was on 1, power was on 4, and it was set to 802.11 b+g.

I now have a happy wife, and blazing quick wireless access.

First two rounds are on me next time I'm in town.

Thanks for your time.

Word...... :toast:

Glad it worked!