PDA

View Full Version : Should I shell out the $ for an iPod Touch?

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
After a full day of iPod shopping online I have narrowed my choices down to the 8GB Nano or the new iPod Touch. I hate to spend $300 but the extra $100 does seem to really give me a HUGE HUGE upgrade. Any suggestions? For those of you that have the iPod Touch how do you like them?

DMAC
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Come on, use your head. $300 for 8GB and "neat for a month cause you can touch the screen!!!"

OR

$250 for 80GB.

80GB (20,000 songs)> 8GB (1,750 songs)

QuikSsurfer
01-03-2008, 05:48 PM
the 802.11 b/g wifi is a nice touch but 8gb is just silly..
go with the 80gig ipod classic

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Buy a Zune.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't need the 80GB. I just don't listen to THAT much music. The 8GB nano gives me enough space and features at an affordable price but the Touch gives me internet access wherever I go for only $100 more.

Silock
01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I like the Touch, but I really, really love my Nano. I couldn't justify the tiny amount of space on the Touch for all that money. If you really want one, wait until Christmas next year when the capacity is up to 32+gb. Until then, I say Nano.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
But won't a 32GB be much more than $300?

DMAC
01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't need the 80GB. I just don't listen to THAT much music. The 8GB nano gives me enough space and features at an affordable price but the Touch gives me internet access wherever I go for only $100 more.Trust me, when you get an ipod...you just start accumulating more and more music.

Silock
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
But won't a 32GB be much more than $300?

Not by Christmas. Apple always keeps their price points. New products move into the high price slot and the previous best products move down the line into the cheaper bracket.

Nano now, iPod Touch later.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Would you suggest getting the nano instead of the classic? The classic does seem like a better deal for only $50 more.

QuikSsurfer
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Not by Christmas. Apple always keeps their price points. New products move into the high price slot and the previous best products move down the line into the cheaper bracket.

Nano now, iPod Touch later.
accept my friend request on the 360
gamertag quikies83

Silock
01-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I will when I get online later tonight. I haven't played much 360 lately, though.

QuikSsurfer
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
no worries.. it's a vanity thing.

JBucc
01-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Unless you live in New York or something, I can't see how having Wi-Fi is going to be anything more than a novelty. There aren't enough Wi-Fi spots to make it useful. Are you going to sit at McDonalds all day showing off your ipod touch's internet capabilities?

Silock
Would you suggest getting the nano instead of the classic? The classic does seem like a better deal for only $50 more.

If you want. Personally, I spend a ton of time at the gym, and the Nano is much, much better for portability and exercise than the classic. If you don't do a lot where a smaller Nano would benefit you, then the classic would definitely be a good option.

For me, the miniscule size of the Nano with the ability to still play high quality video sold me on it. If I didn't take my iPod to the gym, though, I'd go with a classic or a Zune2.

QuikSsurfer
Unless you live in New York or something, I can't see how having Wi-Fi is going to be anything more than a novelty. There aren't enough Wi-Fi spots to make it useful. Are you going to sit at McDonalds all day showing off your ipod touch's internet capabilities?
you have to pay for the wifi at mcdonalds

Silock
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Actually, you'd be surprised. There are a ton of open wireless networks everywhere.

JBucc
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
you have to pay for the wifi at mcdonaldsFor real? That's teh ghey.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Wait I thought the Touch came with it's own Wi-Fi so you could get internet wherever you go. You have to be in specific places that have Wi-Fi?

QuikSsurfer
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
For real? That's teh ghey.
no doubt.. barnes and noble booksellers does the same thing - buy AT&T internet hours if you want to use their wifi.. it's horse shit.

QuikSsurfer
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Wait I thought the Touch came with it's own Wi-Fi so you could get internet wherever you go. You have to be in specific places that have Wi-Fi?
you'll need to be in a hotspot or an area with a wireless connection.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok, then the touch loses basically all its appeal to me then. So most of you guys would recommend the iPod classic rather than the nano if I don't do a lot of running/exercising?

DMAC
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok, then the touch loses basically all its appeal to me then. So most of you guys would recommend the iPod classic rather than the nano if I don't do a lot of running/exercising?
I run every morning with a 30 gig ipod video. I don't see what the big deal is. It never gets in my way, and it holds a ton more music.

Go with the classic. It's a quality built device. Even though it's cheaper than the touch, it's still their flagship in my opinion.

G-MONEY
01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Right now that's definitely what I'm leaning toward. Thanks for your help.

wendy666
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Buy a ipod

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Go for it. Youtube the songs you can't fit on there. Storage is now obsolete.

Guru
01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Not only NO but HELL NO!

noa
01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I was eying one at an Apple store recently and I realized that the technology has a long way to go. It wouldn't always respond to my touch, and it seems to be more of a gimmick than a perfected device right now. I have no doubt that it will improve, but I wouldn't buy an iPod touch for now.

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I was eying one at an Apple store recently and I realized that the technology has a long way to go. It wouldn't always respond to my touch, and it seems to be more of a gimmick than a perfected device right now. I have no doubt that it will improve, but I wouldn't buy an iPod touch for now.

Hmmm, really? Like what issues?

i have yet to find one. At least in mine.

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Absolutely. If you're working out a lot, either go with Nano or Touch. Both are flashbased and won't break. Moving parts and running is a bad combination. I haven't broken mine yet, but that's why the Nike+ is Nano only (soon to be Touch too)

noa
01-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Hmmm, really? Like what issues?

i have yet to find one. At least in mine.

Just basic stuff for a frugal person. It wouldn't always respond to what I was doing and I wasn't that into the basic layout of the features. Like I said, I have no doubt that it will improve, and I'm sure I could grow to like it, but I just didn't think the feature of the touch was worth losing that much hard drive space.

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Just basic stuff for a frugal person. It wouldn't always respond to what I was doing and I wasn't that into the basic layout of the features. Like I said, I have no doubt that it will improve, and I'm sure I could grow to like it, but I just didn't think the feature of the touch was worth losing that much hard drive space.

Space is misleading. Like I said earlier, wifi eliminates the need for mass storage. And flash is better than harddrive in the long run. So, while it has LESS, it is BETTER. If that makes sense. That goes for ANYTHING flash vs hdd.