PDA

View Full Version : Now It's Herm's Offense

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/716755.html

After Herm Edwards cleaned out his offensive coaching staff Tuesday, there was a lot of talk about zone blocking schemes and an emphasis on running the ball. The message was clear - the offense is changing at Arrowhead.

The 2007 season was doomed from the beginning. Early on in training camp you knew this offense was going to struggle, and you could see it clear in KCís first preseason game at Cleveland. Deep down, head coach Herm Edwards had to know this was going to be an ugly season.

In firing Solari, Edwards admitted the organization made a mistake by maintaining a hold on its aging offensive philosophy. When he took over the job in January of 2006 Edwards knew this offense wasnít getting any younger, but still signed on to keep it and did what he could.

Last winter after a playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts, it was glaring the offense was broken beyond repair. Edwards wanted change, but it didnít happen. He wound up stuck with a run-down philosophy, some aging offensive linemen and two quarterbacks separated by a decade of experience.

Those pieces failed to produce, and the end result was a 4-12 season and an offense that ranked among the lowest in point production in team history. Thatís a lot of history. So what happens now?

Edwardsí philosophy now is pretty simple. He needs to find someone who can orchestrate a balanced offense thatís efficient in both the passing and running games.

Edwards said this week heíd like to build an offense around a zone-blocking scheme that moves Brodie Croyle out of the pocket. The Chiefs will need a new offensive line coach to implement that, and there are rumblings Edwards may persuade Alex Gibbs to return to the Chiefs. At the same time, Edwards doesnít want to undermine his new offensive coordinator, and Gibbs left Kansas City an unhappy coach during the Schottenheimer era.

Itís unclear who Edwards will choose from what has become a long list of candidates, but in the end it will make this football team better and will have a rippling effect on the defense and special teams.

Say what you want about Edwards coaching style, but nobody can ever question his willingness not to panic and to implement change when there is little doubt there were no other options.

Chiefs Notes:

- Offensive Coordinator Update:

The list of OC candidates continues to grow, at least from a national perspective. A few NFL insiders have indicated the coordinator position in Kansas City is a hot job. Weíve already discussed the names of Eric Price, Bill Callahan, Cam Cameron, Mike Shula and Jeremy Bates. Other names have surfaced like Mike Martz and Brian Billick. The latest rumor out of a Nebraska TV station last night indicates that Callahan has emerged as the leader.

However, from what weíve been told, the only timetable for the Chiefs is finding their new coordinator before the Senior Bowl in Alabama later this month.

Though Cameronís name recently appeared on the Chiefsí radar, our source inside the organization told Warpaint Illustrated that Miamiís former head coach isn't likely to get an interview with the Chiefs.

After some initial conversations it appears the Chiefs are narrowing their choices. Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula and UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price appear to be the current frontrunners. Callahan will interview for the position in the near future.

- Kansas Cityís scouting department will be watching the Orange Bowl tonight and are keying on a couple of Kansas Jayhawk teammates - Junior cornerback Aqib Talib and offensive tackle Anthony Collins.

Neither has delcared for the draft, but a source at KU said both players, who are best friends and will make the decision together, are leaning toward making themselves available this April. Talib is expected to go mid-first round while Collins is projected to go in the early to mid-second round.

Simplex3
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
In firing Solari, Edwards admitted the organization made a mistake by maintaining a hold on its aging offensive philosophy.
The philosophy wasn't aging, the players were. What Herm is going to install is an aged philosophy.

FAX
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
"The 2007 season was doomed from the beginning. Early on in training camp you knew this offense was going to struggle, and you could see it clear in KCís first preseason game at Cleveland. Deep down, head coach Herm Edwards had to know this was going to be an ugly season."

Wow. Just wow.

FAX

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I can't believe we're not even going to interview Cameron.

doomy3
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I can't believe we're not even going to interview Cameron.

We're dumping his offense. Why would we interview him?

elvomito
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I can't believe we're not even going to interview Cameron.well, if we were, herm/carl would tell you the opposite anyway

FAX
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
It doesn't sound like Cameron's philosophy would mesh well with Herm's. Word is that Cam likes to review film, think through his strategy beforehand, and practice the gameplan and stuff.

FAX

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
So Goatse, you are of the opinion Herm was a foot shuffling porter who gladly bent over and let Carl force Solari on him for two years?

Coach
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Run, run, run, punt.

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2008, 07:16 PM
So Goatse, you are of the opinion Herm was a foot shuffling porter who gladly bent over and let Carl force Solari on him for two years?

I wouldn't classify Herm as a foot-shuffling porter. I'd classify him as way too nice.

doomy3
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
It doesn't sound like Cameron's philosophy would mesh well with Herm's. Word is that Cam likes to review film, think through his strategy beforehand, and practice the gameplan and stuff.

FAX

That definitely worked wonders for him in Miami this year.

Buehler445
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Thatís a lot history.

I think we are missing an "of".

Did you write this, Clayton?

chop
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
The philosophy wasn't aging, the players were. What Herm is going to install is an aged philosophy.

Exactly! Nick needs to get a clue.

FAX
01-03-2008, 07:35 PM
That definitely worked wonders for him in Miami this year.

Point. But to be completely accurate, Mr. doomy3, his last OC job was with the Eggos and they were fairly productive on offense.

FAX

chop
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Herm came to Kansas City making comments about how Solari needed just to rely on LJ more. When in doubt just hand it off to LJ were his comments. He also said the offense scored too quickly and didn't give the defense enough time on the sidelines to rest. He came here and made changes to the offense causing it to be too predictable. Herm has no clue about offense. To now blame his ineffectiveness on an aging philosophy is bogus and not true.

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I think we are missing an "of".

Did you write this, Clayton?

Nope, but I did edit it. Thanks for the heads up.

Buehler445
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Nope, but I did edit it. Thanks for the heads up.

Cool. In the future, I would definitely watch the useage of philosophy that Simplex mentioned.

I'm not criticising, just giving my opinion.

chop
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
hmm. could your source be the press conference that all of us can listen to and which Herm was asked point blank about it and pretty much said no to Cameron?

That can't be right. I know GoChiefs has to have some sort of proof that the article was written two hours before the press conference.

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't classify Herm as a foot-shuffling porter. I'd classify him as way too nice.

"Way too nice" doesn't fit the description of a rat that continually puts other people's necks on the chopping block and runs from a sinking ship.

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
hmm. could your source be the press conference that all of us can listen to and which Herm was asked point blank about it and pretty much said no to Cameron?

I'm having trouble caring one way or the other.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
My philosophy is that anything coming out of WPI is complete and utter garbage.

And I don't think it's getting any younger.

HemiEd
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM

This article should insure WPI is still in good graces with Herm.

Pure Bullshit.

el borracho
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Say what you want about Edwards coaching style, but nobody can ever question his willingness not to panic...
Herm:head coaching::Eric Hicks:playing defensive end