PDA

View Full Version : Quick Iowa caucus report

alnorth
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I just got back from my local Republican caucus. We had 3 precincts all jam-packed into a single room, and the old people were amazed at the turnout (85% in my precinct). So, because we were so crowded with 3 precincts it took us forever and we just now got finished.

Final totals for the 3 precincts I saw:

1. Huckabee
2. Romney a very close 2nd
3. McCain
4. Ron Paul
5. Fred Thompson
6. Guiliani

Rudy did HORRIBLE in my caucus. We had someone volunteer to get up in front of the crowd to give a 2-minute speech for every candidate except Guiliani, no one wanted to vouch for him. Out of over 200 votes cast, Rudy got maybe about 8 of them in our 3 precincts.

Ultra Peanut
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Huckabee is running roughshod over Iowa.

alnorth
01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Another quick note to emphasize how amazingly informal this was. I got there too late to have a chair so I had to stand for the whole damned thing. After I registered I was given a little blank scrap of paper but I didnt bring a pen. After some guy next to me wrote out his precinct number and the name of the guy he was voting for, I had to borrow his pen to write down my choice. Then at the end some other dude walked down the center aisle to collect everyone's scraps of paper, and they were counted out in the front of the room.

Iowanian
01-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I attended. HUGE numbers compared to normal I'm told.....like 3x.
al is right.....they weren't prepared for such huge numbers, and the later attendees voted on note pads.

My biggest surprise was the group of Rodeo Cowboys supporting ronpaul.

Huckabee won my precinct by a large margin, Romney was 2nd and in my precinct.....ronpaul took 3rd, with Thompson a close 4th(2 vote difference). Huckabee had 3x and romney 2x....

Guiliani had zero votes.....1 behind tancredo.

State reports at 40% show Huckabee walking away with it....Romney and Thompson, McCain.......Ronpaul is 5-6th and Guiliani is getting slaughtered.

It was an interesting experience and I'm glad I did it. I also ran into another planet member.

chagrin
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Where are the Ron Paul freaks right about now? It's pretty funny

Iowanian
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I told you.

The results shook out very close to my prediction, huh.

Silock
01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Where are the Ron Paul freaks right about now? It's pretty funny

What's funny? He's barely behind McCain. 10% is far more than I thought he'd get in Iowa. NH will be the real test, because that's where he's put most of his focus.

Iowanian
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Tacopaul said he'd finish 3rd.

5th, 20some% behind the leaders isn't a great outcome.

Taco John
01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Tacopaul said he'd finish 3rd.

5th, 20some% behind the leaders isn't a great outcome.

And you said he'd have no support.

We finished lower than I had hoped, but I'm not going to hang my head over the results. We proved that we belong in the race.

Iowanian
01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I said he'd likely finish 5-6th. You said Fred Thompson would finish 5th and be shown the door. Who finished above your boy again? I also said I was surprised that in my precinct, he had some rodeo guys in his corner, and not just the 3 soul patch wearing stoners.

Your guy is just the white heavyweight they bring into the warmup fight for the guys working for the title shot.