PDA

View Full Version : can snoop step in as the starter?

chief mohawk
07-28-2001, 06:56 PM
Sounds like it's his job to lose or are we just that thin in the wide receiver postion? From what was said about his first day at training camp, he could step up for us.:cool:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-28-2001, 07:13 PM
"can snoop step in as the starter?"

Al Saunders thinks so, so...sure, why not:D ;)

I hope he can.

chief mohawk
07-28-2001, 07:18 PM
Does mayes and gonzo round out the four receiver set? I know that the running back split out also gives us some flexability in the passing game but i hope we get another surprise with the other new receivers in camp!

Luzap
07-28-2001, 08:20 PM
I would be very surprised if Horne doesn't fit into the mix.

Luz
he'll be in the top four...

philfree
07-28-2001, 09:26 PM
I like "Snoop" more all the time. There's a good quote on camp page from todays practice. -- A reporter called him Marvin and Minnis replied, "It's okay man, everyone just calls me Snoop. Marvin doesn't even really feel like it's my name." A Rookie with some relaxed confidence! How refreashing!

PhilFree :cool:

tommykat
07-28-2001, 09:32 PM
From what I just read, considering it's only a day......it's looking good. Sure miss Cat though:(

KCJohnny
07-29-2001, 08:36 AM
Ahh, what might have been.
Can you envision both of these young talents in the line up?
This IS the future of the KC offense:

Morris and Minnis.

Sounds pretty, cool, eh?

KCJ
Likes the youth movement

PunkinDrublic
07-29-2001, 11:25 AM
It's definately a nice thought eventually having Snoop and Morris in the same offense. I hope to god that Snoop is worth all the hype. It's sad to say but, how do we know if Morris will ever be the same player after coming back from that type of injury.

Recker24
07-29-2001, 11:42 AM
I wanted KC to draft Snoop so badly. He fits our offense so well. He will have a little problem getting off the line, but his quickness is unbelievable. He reminds me a lot of a young Andre Rison. He can definitely step up and take the starting role. Although with Derrick Mayes, and Tony Gonzalez, that's a pretty tough group of wide recievers. Don't forget about Tony Horne though. He will get lots of reps. He will get the opportunity to play reciever, and with his speed, he should. He is a legitimate DEEP threat, and has good enough hands to make the catch.

TCB
07-29-2001, 12:45 PM
I agree with the Tony Horne take Recker. He feels he was stuck behind some great talent in STL. and didn't ever get the opportunity to show his talent. He will be a contender.
Also, Mayes has gotten some bad press and might be out to prove something this year.
I think we have a lot of talented guys that see an opening as a starter at WR and they want it bad. A star will emerge fron this group!

ken man

loves football

ck_IN
07-29-2001, 12:52 PM
My thoughts on Snoop are well known so I won't rehash them. I'll simply enter this food for thought, cut and pasted from the training camp thread.

<i>Crockett snuffed out a Marvin Minnis route by mauling him off the line of scrimmage </i>

Now if Crockett, whom most of us consider a waste can do this, what will Eric Allen, Woodsen, D. Green or any other competant CB be able to do?

Too small to fight through man coverage and too slow to run past it.

aturnis
07-29-2001, 01:18 PM
Well it sounds like Crockett isn't doing too bad, he had an INT. and is probably using his know how rather than his athletisism to beat Minnis. But if you say Minnis is too small......how do you explain that skinny little b!tch Randy Moss? He is small, maybe not as small as Snoop, but still very small. He isn't that fast. Hell, he is known as the laziest WR in the league, and I'm not talking just practice like DA, if it isn't a pass play, Moss runs at a strutt pace, doesn't even block his man half the time. I think Minnis will do just fine.

California Injun
07-29-2001, 01:21 PM
I'd take Randy Moss yesterday....

ck_IN
07-29-2001, 01:48 PM
Pu-leeease, comparing Minnis to Moss is like comparing my Dodge to a Corvette, silly on any level.

using his know how rather than his athletisism

The quote clearly says Crockett <b>mauled</b> him, that doesn't sound like vet savy to me. Other than realizing that Minnis is so totally maulable.

NaptownChief
07-29-2001, 01:51 PM
Moss is skinny but he is one of the tallest WR's in the league and he is THAT fast...When he had his private workouts before the draft he was being regularly timed in the 4.2 to low 4.3 range...

KCJohnny
07-29-2001, 02:49 PM
Randy Moss does NOT run a 4.2 40!
He is an average 4.6 runner with GAME SPEED.
Take your stop watches off and watch him work in GAME SITUATIONS. I'll take a gamer (like Minnis) over a stopwatch guy (like all the young body builders/track stars who impress at the combine and bomb in the NFL) ANYDAY.

What matters is what happens on the field when all the intangibles are in play at once. That's when you know you have an Otis Taylor or an Ed Podalak, neither who would impress at a combine or with a stop watch.

KCJ

NaptownChief
07-29-2001, 03:11 PM
KCJ,

You must have had too much of the communion wine this morning if you think Moss is a 4.6 40 guy...

aturnis
07-29-2001, 03:25 PM
Come on buddy, in any way the term is used, I'm sure Crockett has picked up alot of techniques to help him easier "maul" opposing receivers, just as veteran receivers such as DA have learned new techniques their years in the league to get past opposing DB's. Minnis will learn these soon, I'm sure DA will take him under his wing.

keg in kc
07-29-2001, 04:09 PM
Johnny, they're right. Randy Moss did run several 4.3 40's the year he was drafted (and still does as far as I know). That's one of the reasons he's so imposing - he combines both size (6'4, 200 pounds) and speed in a way no receiver ever has before, and that's why the guy has averaged 18.4 ypc on 226 receptions over his first 3 years in the league. It's not all jumping, the guy can take a ball to the house from anywhere on the field, from virtually any route and thrown anywhere within his reach. He's just sick.

If he ever matures enough to play every down, works his @ss off year round (although he basically does that already, I'll give him credit for that) and continues to avoid a career-threatening injury he will almost certainly be counted among the best ever.

philfree
07-29-2001, 05:04 PM
Snoop is knida slight in build.

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/webcam/photos/2001/20010729/09/Chiefs307292001a6006.jpg

But if he is as slippery as they say he will find a way to beat the press coverage. He seems to be impressing in camp so far although as ck-in reported Crockett did maul him once. That happens to all rookies at training camp! Doesn't it?

Rausch
07-29-2001, 05:34 PM
I REMEMBER the talk of how Lockett was too small to get off coverages and shouldn't have been drafted.

Somehow the guy managed to snag MANY of the clutch third down donversions we needed. He was hands. And he can't be hands if he doesn't get open enough to attract Elvis Girbac's attention. Heck, I'm surprised anyone else even caught a pass last year with Girby's habbit of NOT looking to his second or third option and STILL throwing into tight coverages....

If Snoop can get down the mental game(and that is a big if) he should be a very dependable second option.....

California Injun
07-29-2001, 05:56 PM
"Far better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone THINK you are stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt."

So Proctor, you are astute enough to differentiate between a 4.3 40 and 4.6 "game speeds"? Well, I must take my hat off to you.

Randy Moss is a phenominal WR talent akin to Harold Carmichael and Herman Moore. When he puts his mind to it he is unstoppable. You can question his work ethic or his alligator arms on crossing patterns but to refer to him as a "stopwatch" guy is like telling me that Karl Malone still has a chance to win a ring.

It makes no sense at all.

But leave it to you to find an argument over "game speed"...:rolleyes:

Rausch
07-29-2001, 06:07 PM
Moss has all the tools, none of the character...

He's another Rice, only a little more talent and a lot less character....

The only way he'll see the HOF is if he pays to get in like everyone else....

philfree
07-29-2001, 08:26 PM
Gonzo's impressed with Snoop, too!
." Gonzalez was also impressed with rookie wide receiver Snoop Minnis. "I can't believe we got him (Minnis) in the third round, he's a steal." From the TC Web Site.

everyone's mom
07-29-2001, 08:28 PM
FWIW:

From gonzo at camp-
Gonzalez was also impressed with rookie wide receiver Snoop Minnis. "I can't believe we got him (Minnis) in the third round, he's a steal.

everyone's mom
07-29-2001, 08:29 PM
oop's, you beat me to it

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2001, 08:56 PM
Proctor!,

4.6 40????? LOL!!!!!!

You have hit an all time low!!!!,

and I thought your guntherism was the lowest...:rolleyes:

CG

wonders if procty is "all there" :D

keg in kc
07-29-2001, 09:20 PM
I saw that pic earlier in training camp and I was shocked; I thought for sure they'd have worked on bulking him up at least a little going into the season. I'm less worried about him beating the bump than I am seeing him get snapped like a twig on a hit by a safety, or breaking an ankle making a cut. Scary looking to me.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2001, 09:23 PM
Kyle,

I read somewhere that there isn't any room for him to beef up. I think I read that on a draft review awhile back.

Joe Seahawk
07-29-2001, 09:27 PM
I thought K-Rob looked small, but after seeing Snoop..sheesh..

These guys look a lot smaller on an NFL field..

http://a1704.g.akamaitech.net/7/1704/995/200100/ww1.sportsline.com/u/reuters/photos/WAJG1030729182.jpg

keg in kc
07-29-2001, 09:27 PM
I'd been led to believe just the opposite, Cody. From what I'd heard a lot of folks thought he could fit 10-15 pounds on his frame and get into the 180-185 pound range (although some sites had him listed at 180 already).

He actually looks smaller, if anything, in that picture than he looked in April when I went to practice. Dave Klemic (#5 in the pic - I think he might be a big sleeper a year or two from now) is only 185 pounds, but he looks huge compared to Minnis.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-29-2001, 10:20 PM
Kyle,

I hope he does beef up 10-15lbs. But for a little guy like that, he's gonna need to eat, and I mean EAT alot! Especially the fatty foods and ALOT of protein, etc.

Recker24
07-29-2001, 10:30 PM
Speaking of Snoop Minnis, I don't care if the guy weighs 50 punds or 400 pounds. If the guy can play, he can play. Period. And Snoop can play. You can bet your *** on that one. So much is made of 4.4 speed, and a great build. Who gives a crap, see the line above. If you can play, you can play. JoeSeahawk, are you a little jealous?? Wish you got Minnis in the 3rd? "Boy he is really small." Minnis stand almost 6'1. He isn't a midget.

Logical
07-29-2001, 10:43 PM
Anybody on this BB ever hear of a small wide receiver named Charlie Joiner. Well old Charlie Joiner played 16 seasons for 239 games catching 750 passes for 12146 yards and 65 touchdowns. Yep he that small guy averaged 16.2 yards per catch. Hey guess what he played at 5-11 and 180, sound familiar? Oh and and he was not a burner either, he was just so consistent and had such gifted hands that he became a Hall of Fame receiver in the AirCoryell offense, the predecessor to todays Chiefs offense.

One other thing Ck_IN he is the guy teaching Snoop how to play the game! Seems like a match made in heaven to me. I imagine as the preseason and season wear on Mr. Joiner will have taught Snoop more than a few tricks on how to get buy those defenders and get open.

I am betting he will be one of this seasons most pleasent surprises.

keg in kc
07-29-2001, 11:19 PM
Jim, there's a world of difference between 5'11, 180 and 6'1, 171. 180 to 185 pounds is prototypical for a 5'10 or 5'11 NFL wide receiver, and Snoop is 10 pounds below that despite being two inches taller. Anyway, my concern is based on the visual more than the numbers. Look at that photograph again and tell me you're comfortable with his size...

I think the guy can make plays. I saw him play a few games in college on TV, then I wateched him at camp in April, and what I saw then in conjunction with what the team has had to say then has me convinced he has the skills. I'm not so concerned about him beating the bump at the line, I think he's quick enough and shifty enough to work around that, but no matter what position he plays, split end or the slot, he's going to be hit a few times a game and he's going to have to block when we run the ball. And that, in a nutshell, is what I'm worried about - whether he has the bulk to survive 16 (or even 19) games against 180-210 pound defensive backs.

That's the "undersized" I'm worried about.

I have no problem with a 180 pound receiver, hell I'm all over Dave Klemic and he's 5'11, 185... But come on! Snoop is paper thin, and he's not like Randy Moss, who still logs in at almost 200 pounds despite his lankiness. I'm not a martyball "big reciever" kind of guy, but geez, 6'1 and 171? I could deal with 185 or even 180, but like I said, his size really scares me...

Does that mean I expect him to fail? Not on your life! I think he could be a steal in the third if he's really as good as everyone on the Chiefs seems to be saying. But I guarantee I'll cringe every time he's hit this fall...

I'm not posting this so I can come back in October and say "see! I told you so!" I'm posting this because I think it's a valid concern. These guys take a lot of abuse, even at wide receiver, and I know I sound like a broken record, but that pic really, really scares me.

Fat Elvis
07-29-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Logical
Anybody on this BB ever hear of a small wide receiver named Charlie Joiner. Well old Charlie Joiner played 16 seasons for 239 games catching 750 passes for 12146 yards and 65 touchdowns. Yep he that small guy averaged 16.2 yards per catch. Hey guess what he played at 5-11 and 180, sound familiar? Oh and and he was not a burner either, he was just so consistent and had such gifted hands that he became a Hall of Fame receiver in the AirCoryell offense, the predecessor to todays Chiefs offense.

One other thing Ck_IN he is the guy teaching Snoop how to play the game! Seems like a match made in heaven to me. I imagine as the preseason and season wear on Mr. Joiner will have taught Snoop more than a few tricks on how to get buy those defenders and get open.

I am betting he will be one of this seasons most pleasent surprises.

Judging from the pics, it looks like Charlie Joiner has caught a few Big Macs since he quit playing football....

Joe Seahawk
07-29-2001, 11:48 PM
Recker, I guess your right..Small is not the best word to describe snoop..Skinny is probably more appropriate..Am I jealous we didn't draft Snoop in the third? NO! in fact I was a little suprised to see him taken that early. The guy was a stud (when he played) at FSU and He could turn out to be a steal.

The point I was making was These college stars sure look small when they are surrounded by NFL players..Even Koren looked small and kind of frail to me and he's 6-1 213...