View Full Version : Quiet Down, Chicken Little

Hammock Parties
01-03-2008, 10:33 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/716777.html

Quiet Down, Chicken Little

By Darren Carter
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Jan 3, 2008

If you listen carefully to fans and various radio personalities across the Kansas City area, you can hear the cry of the now infamous Chicken Little:

“The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”

Oh, those are not their exact words. No, their cries are more along the lines of statements like, “It will be years before this mess is fixed,” or, “Until Clark Hunt fires Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards, this team will be nothing more than the horrible sight we’ve seen in 2007.”

Yes, the popular sentiment today is that the Chiefs are doomed to be one of the NFL’s worst for the next several years. There is no hope for restoration. There is no light in this tunnel of darkness.

Chicken Little, please sit down and be quiet. The truth of the matter is that this debacle of a season was inevitable. Two years ago I espoused that the Chiefs should pull out all the stops, including signing wide receiver Terrell Owens, to win the Super Bowl. It wasn’t just because the Chiefs lacked a star-power, playmaking wide receiver (which they did). It was because the team they had was only built for one last run.

Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, Patrick Surtain, Priest Holmes, Greg Wesley, Tony Gonzalez, Jason Dunn, Casey Wiegmann, John Welbourn and others no longer a part of the organization were the foundation of that team. All were on the downside of their careers. It was a matter of time before that foundation would crumble.

My theory was to go after it one more season and then tear it down, rebuilding from the ground up. Last season the Chiefs used duct tape, super glue and string to hold the foundation together and fought and clawed their way into the playoffs.

This year that foundation began to crack, but held together enough to start the season at 4-3, tying for first place in the AFC West. Then the inevitable happened. The foundation collapsed and all hell broke loose (or in the case of the opposing defensive lines, a jailbreak occurred at the expense of the quarterback and the running game).

As this season now lays in ruin, we don’t have to worry about tearing it down. It crumbled. Now the rebuilding process begins, but all is not doom and gloom.

First, there is hope in what the Chiefs already have. Through keen analysis and some dumb luck, the Chiefs have acquired talent over the past few drafts. Dick Vermeil has taken a lot of hits for his talent evaluation and drafting, and rightfully so, but there are a few players from his regime who form the new nucleus of this team.

Jared Allen began this year on a two-game suspension but came back with a vengeance, recording 15.5 sacks in 14 games to win the 2007 sack title. He will start in his first Pro Bowl this February. While he is an unrestricted free agent this off-season, Carl Peterson is already on record saying that Allen will be back in Kansas City next season.

Derrick Johnson had a breakthrough year at outside linebacker this season and should be poised to make a run at the Pro Bowl himself next year.

Larry Johnson, while not endearing himself to the fans with his holdout, reduced production and season-ending injury, is as talented a running back as there is in the game. In the two seasons prior to this one, he amassed over 3,400 yards rushing and 40 touchdowns.

Dustin Colquitt is quickly becoming one of the best punters in the NFL and was among the league leaders in net punting average.

These four players share a commonality. Dick Vermeil drafted them all.

As for Herm’s drafts, Tamba Hali just completed his second NFL season, recording 7.5 sacks this season after logging eight a year ago. That’s 15.5 sacks in two years, good production for a player early in his career.

Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe led all rookie receivers with 70 receptions for 995 yards and five touchdowns, and also led all rookies in receptions over 20 yards with 13. Jarrad Page is becoming a ball-hawking safety. Bernard Pollard, Tank Tyler and Turk McBride all showed flashes of becoming productive players for the Chiefs.

There is young talent and veterans who are playing at a high level who provide significant leadership - Brian Waters, Tony Gonzalez and Donnie Edwards. All three have been to Pro Bowls and have a tremendous passion for the game of football, and just as important, a tremendous passion for the Kansas City Chiefs.

To be fair, there is a huge question at quarterback. Edwards has said Brodie Croyle is the guy for 2008, and that’s the right call. The Chiefs will be better served to build around Croyle than continuing with a question mark. I offer as a precedent the San Diego Chargers and their quarterback, Phillip Rivers.

Cornerback Champ Bailey of the Denver Broncos said it best:

“I don't really care for the guy, first of all," he said of Rivers. "He's not a respectable guy right now because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now. You're surrounded by great players, but you're not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league -- where he stands on his team first and foremost.”

Ignoring the obvious venom directed towards Rivers, Bailey makes a great point. Rivers is surrounded by talent. Is Rivers that much better than Croyle? Maybe, but we’ve seen some flaws in Rivers’ game that have been overcome by the talent on the Chargers.

Croyle has enough talent to be successful in Kansas City if the talent around him is good enough. The good news is he’s got an offensive guard, running back, tight end and wide receiver to start with.

How long will it take to assemble the rest of the pieces? I said earlier that this is not necessarily a long-term rebuilding project. I say that based on the history and parity of the NFL.

The NFL is designed to allow bad teams to get good in a hurry. Let’s look at those Chargers again. In 2003 the Chargers were the worst team in the NFL and drafted first in the 2004 draft. They used that draft to establish the nucleus of their team. It’s not just getting a high pick in the first round - it’s getting a high pick in every round.

Picking in the top five in each round is equivalent to getting a low pick in the previous round. For example, the Chiefs will pick around fourth in the second round of the 2008 draft. That’s basically equivalent to a first-round pick in the 30s. Because of the Trent Green trade to Miami, the Chiefs will have two of the top five picks in the fifth round, which equates to two low fourth-round picks.

In that 2004 draft the Chargers took the following players who are now the foundation of their team: quarterback Phillip Rivers (after trade to Giants), defensive end Igor Olshansky, kicker Nate Kaeding (acquired with pick from the Giants), center Nick Hardwick, linebacker Shaun Phillips, Michael Turner (fifth-round pick from trade with Miami), and defensive tackle Ryan Bingham (seventh-round selection). They also received a first-round pick in 2005 from the Giants, which they used to acquire linebacker Shawne "roidman" Merriman.

In 2004 the Chargers finished with a 12-4 record. That is a one-year turnaround going from the worst team in the NFL to the best in the AFC West. That 2004 draft was aided by a significant trade-down situation, but why can’t the Chiefs do something similar in this year’s draft with a top five pick? All of the players listed from San Diego’s 2004 draft play significant roles for the Chargers.

You might say San Diego’s example is a once-in-a-lifetime shot. I’ll again point you to recent NFL history.

In 2006, two teams that drafted in the top five that year wound up making the playoffs - the New Orleans Saints and New York Jets. The 2007 regular season just ended. Two of the teams heading to the playoffs this year drafted in the top six last April: the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins.

When you consider that the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns were in the playoff mix until the final week of the season, that’s four out of the top seven teams in the 2007 draft that were serious playoff contenders in 2007.

So Chicken Little, all is not lost. The Chiefs have some young talent, they have veteran leadership still playing at a high level and they have a plethora of draft picks (at least 10 draft picks in the 2008 draft) to rebuild this team. In the NFL, a team can be built very quickly. A good draft and a solid free agency period could have these Chiefs back to contending for the playoffs and the AFC West as soon as next year.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
In.

L.A. Chieffan
01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Superbowl next season.

Print em

Hammock Parties
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
I was going to use this baby on our front page, but Nick said no:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/900/chickenkcpn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

L.A. Chieffan
01-03-2008, 10:41 PM
This is garbage.

the Talking Can
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Carl writes for WPI?

what a stupid True Fan article....

cdcox
01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Makes Eileen Gretawes seem like a pessimist.

Simplex3
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh good, it's the return of Warspammer

unlurking
01-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Is it in vogue to bash fans at both kcchiefs.com and WPI?

stupid

el borracho
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
It's like my eyes just stepped in dog shit.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2008, 11:21 PM
It's like my eyes just stepped in dog shit.
ROFL

Luzap
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Good article Darren...

But you need to keep this stuff quiet. A whole bunch of these guys are going to give up their season tickets and I'm on the waiting list for Club Level.

Luz
can't you let them believe we're doomed for a couple more years???...

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2008, 11:43 PM

LMAO Rep

Brock
01-03-2008, 11:44 PM
But you need to keep this stuff quiet. A whole bunch of these guys are going to give up their season tickets and I'm on the waiting list for Club Level.

LOL, it figures. You'd fit right in there.

the Talking Can
01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
the goal is not to go the playoffs next year...the GOAL is to build a Championship-quality team...

"win now" ruined this year.....and people are already laying the ground work for another "win now" season....just wait, it will happen......

Luzap
01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
LOL, it figures. You'd fit right in there.

Why Brock... Thank you very much.

Luz
how very perceptive of you... :)

alanm
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm the biggest Chiefs homer there is. I'm also a realist. If there's a team capable of whiffing on 10 draft picks in 08 it would be the Chiefs. :banghead: :banghead: :( :deevee:

Eleazar
01-04-2008, 12:35 AM
I like how you were able to name 6 young players out of the entire roster as signs of hope that this will be over soon, one of which is the punter.

Get used to it, people. This thing struck an iceberg in 2005, took on water all last year, and in 2007 it sank to the bottom and buried itself in the silt right next to Detroit, San Fransisco, Miami, etc.

It'll take the Navy at least one year to locate the wreckage with sonar.

This thing is going to last at least another year. If we have two great offseasons, maybe we can look at being a legitimate contender to win a playoff game in 2009.

Luzap
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
...Get used to it, people. This thing struck an iceberg in 2005, took on water all last year, and in 2007 it sank to the bottom and buried itself in the silt right next to Detroit, San Fransisco, Miami, etc.

This thing is going to last at least another year. If we have two great offseasons, maybe we can look at being a legitimate contender to win a playoff game in 2009.

That's the spirit :)

I can feel my name moving up on the waiting list now.

Luz
club level here we come...

Eleazar
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
That's the spirit :)

I can feel my name moving up on the waiting list now.

Luz
club level here we come...

Actually I'm not on it anymore so... whatever.

Do you believe in that waiting list stuff?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I can't believe I'm considering putting Luzap on ignore but the "club level" bullshit is getting rather annoying.

<--- disappointed.

FAX
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I like how you were able to name 6 young players out of the entire roster as signs of hope that this will be over soon, one of which is the punter.

Get used to it, people. This thing struck an iceberg in 2005, took on water all last year, and in 2007 it sank to the bottom and buried itself in the silt right next to Detroit, San Fransisco, Miami, etc.

ROFL

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment, Mr. Cochise. Maybe even a little later than 2009 - which is the confusing part.

Why would Herm load us up with young guys only to move on before he wins a playoff game? Is it ... you know ... possible ... that ... well ... that he's planning to stay?

FAX

Brock
01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually I'm not on it anymore so... whatever.

Do you believe in that waiting list stuff?

It's hilarious that a scam artist can't recognize another scam when it's sitting right in front of him.

StcChief
01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
the sky has already fallen, all fans 1...2...3... pick it up

Alphaman
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM

I think this is the point the author was addressing. How many thought Cleveland would legitimately contend this year? How many thought New Orleans could do what they did last year? It seems that teams do indeed go from drafting in the top 10 to making the playoffs the next season. Could KC be one? We'll see.

The author names 10 young players and 3 vets that form the current nucleus of this team. Add 2-3 free agents and 3 to 5 impactful rookies and this team can compete next year. Truth be told, just adding 2 new starters on the o-line and this team is totally different.

Eleazar
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
ROFL

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment, Mr. Cochise. Maybe even a little later than 2009 - which is the confusing part.

Why would Herm load us up with young guys only to move on before he wins a playoff game? Is it ... you know ... possible ... that ... well ... that he's planning to stay?

FAX

I was just thinking, we have 10 draft picks this year, and 7 next year, assuming about 4 of those get cut, in a good case we can turn over 13 players via the draft. And let's say they sign a few free agents, so we turn over 20 players this offseason and next offseason, and don't lose any young players in between. And say we have 10 players now who deserve to still be there in 2-3 years when we're ready.

That's still only half the team. And chances are, half of those draft picks even in a best case are not going to end up being solid NFL starters.

For us to be a truly rebuilt team, with both 22 talented starters, balance and depth, to have found a franchise QB, to be a real contender - it's going to take more than two offseasons. This team has been decaying since 2003, so I don't know why people think we can fix it in one year.

Logical
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
ROFL

FAXGod I hope not.:banghead:

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Picking in the top five in each round is equivalent to getting a low pick in the previous round.

This guy is a ****ing genious.

Eleazar
01-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Picking in the top five in each round is equivalent to getting a low pick in the previous round.

This guy is a ****ing genious.

Not really. It's lower than getting a low pick in the previous round. It's like having a high pick in the round in which you have a high pick.

:drool:

TEX
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
The sky did fall and it crushed Chicken Little - unfortunately it missed Carl, Herm, & GOATSE.

Halfcan
01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
How many times do we need to be reminded that Roaf retired??

I think most fans realize which players of the Dick era are gone-do we need to rehash it to defend how shitty Herm is as a coach- pretty lame.

FAX
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
... This team has been decaying since 2003, so I don't know why people think we can fix it in one year.

We can't. No way, Leafy Hay.

What would make me feel better is to see improvement in one area, Mr. Cochise. And consistency. The run game, for example. If we could consistently run the football with a couple of young guys on the line, I would consider that a major step forward. Given our current situation, you could build on that.

The same thing applies to defense, in my mind. If we can consistently shut down the run, I could easily live with a big play now and then considering our current coach/player configuration on that side of the ball.

Although I love the idea of getting younger and building a team through the draft, I don't understand what Herm is thinking by loading us up with young players who may or may not work out and who, at best, will require several seasons to mature when he's holding a contract with two years left on it.

FAX

Halfcan
01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
We need more articles about how dumb Chiefs fans are. Just a bunch of dumbasses that need to be told by Carl and all his asskissers, to sit down and shut the **** up-THEY HAVe A PLAN!!!!!

FloridaMan88
01-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Of course your lover Athan said no... it might cut off his access to tongue Dictator Carl and Clark's collective asses that he enjoys doing so much.

One would think you would have learned your lesson with the chicken little crap during the preseason when you used it to trash anyone who was concerned about how the Chiefs looked during that time... considering the fact everything the Chiefs struggled with in the preseason pretty much continued through the regular season as well.

mikey23545
01-05-2008, 12:13 AM
This place needs to be renamed "The Sand-Induced PMS Lounge".

KCJohnny
01-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Quality article. Good reporting, excellent analysis.:thumb: