PDA

View Full Version : STAR -Peterson admits he erred in keeping offensive line intact

C-Mac
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Peterson admits he erred in keeping offensive line intact (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/429878.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Proof had been there all along, the missed blocks and the injuries and the 53 times Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle were sacked this season. But it was the Chiefs’ 4-12 record and the reality of it permeating four days after the team’s season-ending loss at the New York Jets that compelled Peterson to make his confession.

Peterson said his worst mistake entering the 2007 season, the one that led to the Chiefs’ worst record in 30 seasons, was “letting the offensive line get old.”

By doing that, Peterson said, and gambling on five opening-day starters all over age 30, the Chiefs carried with them a weakness that widened and became more glaring over time. The team paid for it with injuries, personnel moves and forced lineup changes, all of which kept the line in limbo and impaired its effectiveness.

“I felt — I think we all felt — good about the experience of our offensive line. It just didn’t happen,” Peterson said Thursday during a season-ending news conference at Arrowhead Stadium. “What happens in this business, some people get old. They get old quick, and they hit the wall.”

When 12-time Pro Bowl guard Will Shields retired in April, the Chiefs had two weeks to stare at a gaping hole on their offensive line and an NFL draft board that was top-heavy on solid linemen.

The top two offensive tackles in last year’s draft went quickly — Joe Thomas and Levi Brown were the Nos. 3 and 5 picks, respectively — so the Chiefs passed on tackle Joe Staley and drafted wide receiver Dwayne Bowe at No. 23, a move coach Herm Edwards said Thursday that he would make again.

Kansas City did take tackle Herb Taylor in the sixth round, but Taylor played in two games this season and was inactive for all but five.

The Chiefs failed to bring in a suitable replacement for Shields through free-agency, so they moved 31-year-old John Welbourn from right tackle to right guard, where he started each game in 2007.

One problem was solved, but it tore open a hole at right tackle the Chiefs scrambled to fill. When 32-year-old Kyle Turley hurt his ankle, an injury that eventually required him to be placed on injured reserve, 32-year-old Chris Terry took his place.

Then Edwards cut Terry, an eighth-year tackle, last month because he skipped a Friday practice. Terry’s dismissal left available no proven right tackle, but it finally forced a youngster, Will Svitek, 25, into the starting lineup.

All told, the Chiefs used a different offensive-line combination to start four of the team’s final five games. In case anyone needed a reminder, the Chiefs lost all of those games as part of a season-ending, nine-game losing streak. Edwards said the team should have addressed its offensive-line issues before the losses — and should have admitted it was a problem before Thursday.

“It was never intact,” Edwards said. “From there, everything just got going, and it never got any better.”

Peterson said he entered this season confident the resumes and experience of the Chiefs’ returning linemen would hold up.

Left tackle Damion McIntosh and center Casey Wiegmann were solid veterans. Left guard Brian Waters was a three-time Pro Bowl selection. Terry had started for three teams. Turley had aged, but he was a solid right tackle earlier in his career.

If those players avoided injuries and kept their ages a secret for one season, perhaps the gamble was a sound one. Perhaps Peterson could cheat time one season while the draft or free-agency developed a better crop. It was a long shot, but Peterson took the odds.

And then it backfired.

“It didn’t work out,” Peterson said.

Peterson said he is not solely responsible for the Chiefs’ personnel moves. He said all members of the team’s pro personnel department contribute ideas and opinions that funnel toward Peterson’s office.

“It’s not a Carl Peterson decision. It’s a Chiefs decision,” he said. “But someone at the end of the day has to say, ‘We’ve taken this information and decided this is our player.’ ”

That distinction belongs to Peterson, who reiterated Thursday that his role as Chiefs president, general manager and CEO would not change next year.

Peterson will get the final say in April, when the Chiefs possess either the fourth or fifth pick, depending on a coin flip, in the NFL draft and a chance to grab one of the draft’s elite tackles. Michigan’s Jake Long is expected to be a top-10 pick. So is Boise State’s Ryan Clady.

The question will be whether Peterson takes the safe bet or gambles again.

milkman
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm at a loss for words.

**** you Carl Peterson, you giant ass****ing ignoramus.

C-Mac
01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Peterson said he is not solely responsible for the Chiefs’ personnel moves. He said all members of the team’s pro personnel department contribute ideas and opinions that funnel toward Peterson’s office.

Shocker.... :shake:

Coach
01-03-2008, 11:27 PM
More evidence that Carl's press conference with that the buck stops here, was a sham.

When will Clark get that through his f**king thick skull?

el borracho
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Our line was getting embarrassed in 2006. Anyone who clung to hope in 2007 was fooling themselves.

pikesome
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
**** you Carl Peterson, you giant ass****ing ignoramus.

If I wasn't so happy at the KU win I'd agree 110%.

el borracho
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Our line was getting embarrassed in 2006. Anyone who clung to hope in 2007 was fooling themselves and please tell me if anyone thinks that moving Welbourne to guard really solved any problem.

I don't usually say, "I told you so" but this has been incredibly obvious for years. I can remember advocating linemen in the draft 2 years ago (2006) and (only half-jokingly) advocating an all lineman draft in 2007. Here it is, 2008, and the problem is still unresolved. That is ridiculous!

On the topic of, "I told you so(s)", Jason Dunn should have retired after last season. If he comes back in any capacity it is a clear indication of how effing stupid our organization is.

Nzoner
01-03-2008, 11:36 PM
[

That distinction belongs to Peterson, who reiterated Thursday that his role as Chiefs president, general manager and CEO would not change next year.

In other words, "bwhahahahahaha you're stuck with me bitches!"

Deberg_1990
01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
WHen do we get to see this headline in the Star:

"Clark Hunt admits he erred in keeping Carl and Herm intact" ?

milkman
01-03-2008, 11:43 PM

The day after you read my name in the obituaries, I imagine.

It'd be like these ****ers to make me suffer the rest of my life.

FAX
01-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Despair not, Mr. milkman. "The Plan" will make it all better.

FAX

TEX
01-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Bla..Bla...Bla...Most EVERYONE new how bad the O-line would $UCK going into the season. This is just like Carlton Gray, Kendrell Bell, Ryan Sims, Junior Saivii, Eddie Freeman, Eric Hicks, Vonnie Holiday, RBBC with Bam Morris, Ty Law, Nap Harris, Victor Bailey, Johnny Morton, Brodie Croyle, Juston ***king Medlock, Drummond, Herm Edwards, etc... I get sooooooo tired of the same old $hit when it comes to talent evaluation. Most fans do a better job evaluating than our front office/coaching staff because they are not influenced by other things. It's a pretty simple process - you see a player play - if he can't - end it. When fans voice their opinions about such matters they're always told," The coaches/GM know more." Well most of the time the coaches/GM have other reasons for sticking with a player, who clearly doesn't have it, rather than just evaluating said player on talent. And with this organization, under CP,the Chiefs get it WRONG way more than they get it right.

Throw HERM EDWARDS in that category as well. Next year we'll all be hearing that CP made a mistake there too.

DMAC
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
When fans do a better job of evaluating talent than the staff does, something is wrong. Very wrong.

We really needed Parcells.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM

they day after both have left

gutless media around this town only report problems AFTER they are solved because they are so afraid of Carl and his PR machine.

RedThat
01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
they day after both have left

gutless media around this town only report problems AFTER they are solved because they are so afraid of Carl and his PR machine.

They need more writers like Whitlock around. I noticed that KC doesn't really have a hard nosed media. They don't usually blast the organization as much as they should.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
They need more writers like Whitlock around. I noticed that KC doesn't really have a hard nosed media. They don't usually blast the organization as much as they should.
they know Carl will blackball them ... pull their creds if he can

he also knows that there are plenty of Luzap fans in the world that will believe and support whatever he does.

His owner is all about the benjamins....

carte blanche baby

Coogs
01-04-2008, 11:08 AM

I suppose it would be a little out of line to ask if you are going to take one for the team? :)

Antifreeze maybe? :D

Cochise
01-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't know whether to believe it or not. On one hand, anyone who had ever watched a football game knew going into the season that these clowns on the o-line were going to suck. They thought bringing in a castoff LT would fix it.

Should I hope that Carl is lying here, and they were in 'win now' to avoid rebuilding, or should I hope that he's so explosively ignorant about evaluating talent that he actually did think this line was not going to be among the league's worst?

el borracho
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Any which way you look at it, Carl's 19 year tenure serves as evidence of his incompetence in building a championship team. This dumb**** actually gave a 4th round pick to get Herm Edwards, a head coach with a career losing record whose team lost more games each year except for one.

Otter
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
The only question I want to hear him answer is why he feels he should be retained after no Super Bowl in 20 years and no playoffs in 15 years.

Everything else is a diversion from that question.

kepp
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Quick! Word problem: Chief's pro personnel dept is to Carl Peterson as intestines are to ________.

blueballs
01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Carl is up 2004
it's progress

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
He's retained because of all the dumb dumbs with season tickets.

el borracho
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Peterson said he is not solely responsible for the Chiefs’ personnel moves. He said all members of the team’s pro personnel department contribute ideas and opinions that funnel toward Peterson’s orifice.

Pfffftt!!

TEX
01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Any which way you look at it, Carl's 19 year tenure serves as evidence of his incompetence in building a championship team. This dumb**** actually gave a 4th round pick to get Herm Edwards, a head coach with a career losing record whose team lost more games each year except for one.

And who was gonna get $hit-canned...

KC Tattoo
01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Pathetic.

BigChiefFan
01-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm not renewing. Piss up a rope.

Logical
01-04-2008, 10:20 PM
they know Carl will blackball them ... pull their creds if he can

he also knows that there are plenty of Luzap fans in the world that will believe and support whatever he does.

His owner is all about the benjamins....

carte blanche baby

.QFT

kstater
01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
A little ****ing late to realize the OL has gotten old.

BIG K
01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
A little ****ing late to realize the OL has gotten old.

My only question, other than the obvious, is why the Chief's did not start the younger tackles and guards on the roster in the last final games to see what they have before they have to make a call during the draft? I know a couple of guys got some playing time but, it was only due to injury. Yeah, it was a young qb back there but, honestly, could the line have played any worse? Why not throw the youngsters into it?

Just my thought..

keg in kc
01-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Erred in keeping the o-line intact?

Gee, ya think.

BIG K
01-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Gee, ya think.

Erred in keeping the o-line intact? There was nothing about the o-line that was 'intact' over the last two seasons with the change of two tackles and one guard. I am sure he meant or said, keeping the o-line old and slow was an Err.....The o-line demise began when Roaf left. I feel that the ERR occured when the Cheifs thought that they could replace Roaf and Shields with other aging 'average' players and not miss a beat.

TEX
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Gee, ya think.

I believe you were right there with him. I remember you preaching about how the line would be as good if not better because Black was replaced and Welbourne would be playing his natural position.