PDA

View Full Version : My take on Iowa

irishjayhawk
01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Let me preface by saying I hate primaries and caucuses. That said, I think something is clear.

The democrats will be stupid not to nominate Obama. It's clear as day.
The republicans will be stupid to nominate Huck, but what choice do they have. If, like I said before I saw RP, Obama gets nominated, he'll win.

I hope Huckster gets nominated and gets humiliated. If, though, by the chance in hell that he wins the nomination AND election, I think I might consider going to Canada. A theocracy is too much.

wazu
01-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I hope Huckster gets nominated and gets humiliated. If, though, by the chance in hell that he wins the nomination AND election, I think I might consider going to Canada. A theocracy is too much.

Now, now. Do you really think he will instill religion anymore than George Junior? You'll just hear him reference God and scripture occassionally and nominate pro-life Supreme Court justices once in awhile. Huckabee is a massive disappointment to me as a Republican candidate, but he would be better than the Democrats.

irishjayhawk
01-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Now, now. Do you really think he will instill religion anymore than George Junior? You'll just hear him reference God and scripture occassionally and nominate pro-life Supreme Court justices once in awhile. Huckabee is a massive disappointment to me as a Republican candidate, but he would be better than the Democrats.

Nope. A minister is not qualified. And if you wanna pull the governor thing, look at his pardons, executions and everything else.

No way is he better than Obama. And probably Edwards. Hillary it's a draw.

Cochise
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I like Huckabee. He seems like an honest, genuine guy who sees the world from a lens a lot like the one I see it through.

I see him as a guy with a conservative mindset but who could easily wear the compassionate conservative mantle this time, whatever I think about him being a spender. Someone like Hillary starts making different noises on the issues and you don't trust them, but Huckabee seems to be worth trusting.

I align better with a few other candidates, but I think he'd do a pretty good job.

I'm not sure why it's such a foregone conclusion that he would get owned in the general either. I'm sure polling would show that now, but there's plenty of time to close the gap with moderates. I don't think that the inevitable demonization of religion that would follow would behoove his opponent.

Maybe he wouldn't have odds in his favor, but this wouldn't be a baby seal situation either, I don't think.

wazu
01-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Nope. A minister is not qualified. And if you wanna pull the governor thing, look at his pardons, executions and everything else.

Since when does "qualified" matter? The Democrats have three candidates with a combined four terms in the U.S. Senate, doing virtually nothing while any of them were there except running for President. Those clowns aren't qualified. Bill Richardson is qualified and he got 2% tonight. What does that tell you?

Hell, our current present is an ex-cokehead/alcoholic. The Democratic frontrunner is an ex-cokehead, too.

I'm not a bible-thumper, but I really don't have an issue with Huckabee's faith. What I take issue with is his record of fiscally liberal policies, and the fact that in the Republican party, being super-religious is now an acceptable alternative to being a fiscal conservative. However fiscally liberal Huckabee may be, though, he'll be tighter with money than Obama would be.

wazu
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I see him as a guy with a conservative mindset but who could easily wear the compassionate conservative mantle this time, whatever I think about him being a spender.

"Compassionate Conservative" = Liberal.

Conservatism is already compassionate. If a candidate puts "compassionate" in front of conservative, it means they don't understand conservative principles to begin with.

irishjayhawk
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
There's too much dirt on Huckabee.

Seriously, though, coke is now a big thing for Presidential elections?

jAZ
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
I like Huckabee. He seems like an honest, genuine guy who sees the world from a lens a lot like the one I see it through.

I see him as a guy with a conservative mindset but who could easily wear the compassionate conservative mantle this time, whatever I think about him being a spender. Someone like Hillary starts making different noises on the issues and you don't trust them, but Huckabee seems to be worth trusting.

I align better with a few other candidates, but I think he'd do a pretty good job.

I'm not sure why it's such a foregone conclusion that he would get owned in the general either. I'm sure polling would show that now, but there's plenty of time to close the gap with moderates. I don't think that the inevitable demonization of religion that would follow would behoove his opponent.

Maybe he wouldn't have odds in his favor, but this wouldn't be a baby seal situation either, I don't think.
This is going to hurt, but I've got to do it.

I completely agree with you.

I don't support much of his policies, but I think he is exactly as you state... "an honest, genuine guy".

This comparison is going to reflect poorly to some, but I think he's the GOP's Jimmy Carter.

The guy who's character is needed to fix the ugliness of the previous era.

wazu
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
There's too much dirt on Huckabee.

Seriously, though, coke is now a big thing for Presidential elections?

No. In fact I think it's almost a prerequisite these days. It definitely gets you more votes than experience governing or managing anything meaningful.

Cochise
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Since when does "qualified" matter? The Democrats have three candidates with a combined four terms in the U.S. Senate, doing virtually nothing while any of them were there except running for President. Those clowns aren't qualified. Bill Richardson is qualified and he got 2% tonight. What does that tell you?

Richardson is more qualified than the three frontrunners by miles and miles. He was in Congress for a long time, has been a state's governor, served in a cabinet position, served as an ambassador. He has credibility on energy from his time as energy secretary. The guy even went to Baghdad and personally negotiated with Saddam Hussein after some workers were kidnapped there.

Bill Richardson has more qualification in his toenail clippings than 100 week senators or people whose main qualifications are that they're related to someone who was also President. He's not the object of some 8 year (or 18 year) grooming project.

Obviously, experience is none too important on that ticket.

Cochise
01-04-2008, 12:03 AM

I don't support much of his policies, but I think he is exactly as you state... "an honest, genuine guy".

This comparison is going to reflect poorly to some, but I think he's the GOP's Jimmy Carter.

Well FWIW, I think the same things about Obama. Although I would fine most of his policy positions odious, I do think he's genuine and trustworthy.

RedDread
01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
There is no way in hell that Huckabee has as strong a showing in NH. Paul, Giuliani, and McCain should all make gains there.

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:30 AM
There is no way in hell that Huckabee has as strong a showing in NH. Paul, Giuliani, and McCain should all make gains there.

What? NH is rational?

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2008, 12:33 AM
What? NH is rational?

NH is way more liberal.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
What? NH is rational?

I pray they really are, and to expose Huck as the fake preacher he really is.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I like Huckabee. He is pretty honest and most of the stuff he believes in is what I belive in. I think you combine him with a McCain or Thompson and you got a really strong team.

trndobrd
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM

A Republican Jimmy Carter is exactly the phrase I've been using along with "big government conservative".

Jenson71
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Huckabee seems like a real dumb person. He seems to talk not about details, or anything of any importance in government, but about the common man, the dream, the vague generalities of stuff mixed in with the Bible.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Nope. A minister is not qualified.
So in other words, you'd support a religious or a creed test for office?

BucEyedPea
01-04-2008, 07:30 AM
I nearly lost it when I heard Huckabee talk about handling poverty? He's not Human Rights Jimmy Carter he's a Republican LBJ!

Yikes for Mike!

Iowanian
01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Did a pastor put his thumb in your butt or what?

Enjoy candaduh. Silly Hoser. Maybe you can stay with Alec Baldwin......

stevieray
01-04-2008, 08:26 AM
If, though, by the chance in hell that he wins the nomination AND election, I think I might consider going to Canada. A theocracy is too much.

BS. Just another dramatic post to garner attention.

Move to Canada? right... who is gonna pay for that?

Iowanian
01-04-2008, 08:28 AM

You need to look at the bigger picture. Each state has different requirements of the Governor that bring different numbers of potential parole elligable convicts. Romney for example, saw very very few during his term in Mass. however in Arkansas, it IS a death penalty state and the laws put more people up for parole.

I've had concerns about his pardons too, but when you see how many thousand came to him, he pardoned a small percentage. 1 for example, was an Iraq Vet, who had a felony for shooting another kid with a BB gun when he was 13....and wanted to be a police officer.

I've had concerns about the fiscal issues as well, and i'm overlooking them for a couple of reasons. The citizens re-elected him as Gov more than once. The Citizens of Arkansas said they wanted better roads and schools, and thats where a lot of the tax money went. I'm going to assume that is the reason, with the knowledge that a President can't determine taxes, and if the Democratic controled congress and Senate are "fiscally conservative" then you've got nothing to worry about.......oh wait.....Dems want tax money for health care, Obama wants more social security tax..........

Being a former Minister doesn't qualify him, but it shouldn't disqualify him any more than any of the other's previous employment. You'll find this hard to believe, since you already KNOW everything, but 10 years from now, you'll view a lot of things, a lot differently than you do now.

Senators don't be Governors in Presidential Elections. The top 2 Republicans are former Govs......the top dems, have very little experience, even as Senators. Obama is a great speech delivery mechanism, but has very little actual good qualifications on paper.

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
So in other words, you'd support a religious or a creed test for office?

Nope. But I do have to raise questions when they pardon people based on Jesus and things like this. Global warming is a "moral issue"?

irishjayhawk
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Huckabee seems like a real dumb person. He seems to talk not about details, or anything of any importance in government, but about the common man, the dream, the vague generalities of stuff mixed in with the Bible.

That's what I hear. It's exactly like Carl and his "plan".

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
... He seems to talk not about details, or anything of any importance in government, but about the common man, the dream, the vague generalities of stuff mixed in with the Bible..and something called "change."

It worked for Bill Clinton.... :shrug:

Obama, McCain, Hillary, and Romney all seem to be doing the same thing too. :hmmm:

Chiefnj2
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM

It sells in Iowa.

Iowanian
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
It sells in Iowa.

Almost as well as $3 gold chains and hair spray in New Jersey.

Adept Havelock
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Now, now. Do you really think he will instill religion anymore than George Junior? You'll just hear him reference God and scripture occassionally and nominate pro-life Supreme Court justices once in awhile.

No thanks. A big-government "conservative" who fought the feds when it came to enforcing immigration law is the last thing we need, regardless of his religious background.

Add that with his nonsense about "Taking the Country back for Christ", and it's a lose-lose proposition for anyone but RRWNJ's who don't mind Uncle Sams hand in their pocket.

I saw all I needed to know about a good chunk of Huckabee's supporters when they got Congress and Bush to get the government to stick its nose where it didn't belong in the Terri Schiavo fiasco. Put this guy in the WH and you'll see far more of that crap, IMO.

I want less government intrusion in my life, not more. I don't need Right Wing social engineers to tell me how to live my life anymore than I need the Lefts social engineers. Thanks anyway.

Chiefnj2
01-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost as well as $3 gold chains and hair spray in New Jersey.
You're a sensitive little bugger these days. What's wrong, couldn't make the bank payments on the double wide?

Calcountry
01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
My take on Iowa, is that it doesn't matter one damned bit, never has, never will. All it is, is a cup of coffee in the morning of the electoral process.

StcChief
01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
My take on Iowa, is that it doesn't matter one damned bit, never has, never will. All it is, is a cup of coffee in the morning of the electoral process.we had this chat at HH tonite... same thing.

Iowa a historical significance only, and is becoming more irrelevant.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Also, the one reason, and I think it's not a small factor, for Huckabees rise is that the Fair Tax organization hitched themselves onto his campaign...and did a lot of work in Iowa.
The former ED of Fair Tax told me this and I posted that here. I just read the same over at Lew Rockwell's too.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Global warming is a "moral issue"?

It's definitely a religion to some. Gaia worship. Per that it's also a "moral issue."