5 Mizzou
11 West Virginia

4 Georgia
16 Tennessee

6 USC
8 Kansas

1 LSU / Ohio State
Michigan

They are SOOOO missing out on revenue, by being stubborn dumbasses.

KU sat for 5 weeks doing NOTHING but watch film.

Get a real championship, the fans and teams deserve it.

Guru
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
It really should only be the top 8 teams.

Technically, and I hate to say this, you must have won your conference to qualify.

they could probably avert that by taking each BCS conference winner and then 2 wildcards.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2008, 01:53 AM

Technically, and I hate to say this, you must have won your conference to qualify.

they could probably avert that by taking each BCS conference winner and then 2 wildcards.

yeah, but based on the top bowl winners, these would be the teams left.

Guru
01-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Yeah but they won't do it that way. If anything, the playoffs would start December 1 with the championship game on new years day.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah but they won't do it that way. If anything, the playoffs would start December 1 with the championship game on new years day.

i would like to see the College football final, be the week before the Superbowl. It would be a footballathon.

Valiant
01-04-2008, 03:30 AM

Then each conference would have to have a conference championship game..

Nelson Muntz
01-04-2008, 03:35 AM
Then each conference would have to have a conference championship game..
That would be a good thing. I think its silly that some conferences have the championship game, while others don't.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Guys - don't forget that the players have to mix some exams in there - hence some time off in december.....

chagrin
01-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Guys - don't forget that the players have to mix some exams in there - hence some time off in december.....

Maybe in Canada, college athletes mix study time in with their sport, but this is American football!!

j/k

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 07:59 AM
A different way to think about this...

If you are a star and a senior....You have a lock on making it into the pros somewhere in the top 4 rounds of the draft. You have played 4 years, maybe been on a Conference winner but for sure have done a bowl and had all that good fun experience.

Now, along comes this idea of a playoff...an added game to the mix. Your conference has its own Championship game already.

Do you risk all you have played for so that the "fans" can have their needs for a playoff/championship game played and so that the schools can cash one more big check?

IF there was a playoff system set up, would the Big 12 drop their Championship Game?

Im not sure if I were that kid looking at a big paycheck for making it into the pros that Id have any interest in risking a career ending injury so that the "fan" can get one more game.

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
IF there was a playoff system set up, would the Big 12 drop their Championship Game?

Probably not. Conferences like the Big XII, SEC and ACC make good $$$ off of championship games.

StcChief
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
It's college football. Education first.
Tell all the teachers and other students to work around the athletic dept. needs. :rolleyes:

You get your one and done.

If you can compete in NFL move up. or get job.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Well, they have ALL been out of school since Dec 21st-ish.

MOST are out of school for 3 weeks. So, you have all the dumb shitty bowls, around the 21st. Yay! for them.

Them you have the top 8 teams play a playoff.

You ONLY have to worry about it, if you are a TOP 8 team... which won't apply to most schools.

ANY... if you are a Top college star with draft potential... the extra 2 games give you a chance to REALLY shine, and improve your draft status and as a result MORE people in America will be aware of your talents. MORE money for the conference, MORE money for the school, MORE prestige for your team.

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 08:35 AM
ANY... if you are a Top college star with draft potential... the extra 2 games give you a chance to REALLY shine, and improve your draft status and as a result MORE people in America will be aware of your talents. MORE money for the conference, MORE money for the school, MORE prestige for your team.

Thats very easy for you or me to say, its not our knees...And yes a great performance would solidify a position for a player whos maybe and maybe not gonna go high...but I doubt that that extra game would help one bit a real top end guy. If Im that player...do I care about more money for the school at that point? Or for the Conference?

Bottom line is there is nothing in it for the players and may actually have a downside. There is nothing in it for the Top teams cause they make a ton now off Bowl games. And the Bowls...the big ones BCS and the top 5 or so others, they make so much money they would never agree to a system that dictates to them how to run their bowls.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2008, 08:38 AM
There is nothing in it for the DII and DIII teams... there is nothing in it for the NCAA Basketball players... etc.

HMc
01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Thats very easy for you or me to say, its not our knees...And yes a great performance would solidify a position for a player whos maybe and maybe not gonna go high...but I doubt that that extra game would help one bit a real top end guy. If Im that player...do I care about more money for the school at that point? Or for the Conference?

Bottom line is there is nothing in it for the players and may actually have a downside. There is nothing in it for the Top teams cause they make a ton now off Bowl games. And the Bowls...the big ones BCS and the top 5 or so others, they make so much money they would never agree to a system that dictates to them how to run their bowls.

saying that one or two more games makes it so risky for the players is like saying they should cut back to 8 games because hey, someone might get injured in one of the last 3, right?

It's a specious argument, and frankly i don't think the wishes of the top players are all that relevant, there are new players every year, and always more to fill their shoes.

trndobrd
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

I understand your overriding concern for the top three or four players in the nation and their ability to cash in on huge NFL contracts.

On the other end of the spectrum are the hundreds of kids that will not be going to the NFL, who will be playing their last game of competitive football in the Outhouse Bowl with no audience and no shot at any kind of championship. Fairness and sportsmanship tells me that all the teams in the top 8,10 or 16 should have an opportunity to settle it on the field.

If the top NFL prospects are afraid of competition at the highest level, perhaps they shouldn't be going to the NFL in the first place.

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
The greatest thing the BCS has going for it is that every game matters. Last year I was watching Rutgers/Louisville, Louisville/WVU, Cincinatti/Rutgers, UCLA/USC, OSU/UM with as much interest as a Gators game. If there was a playoff system no one would care what happens in other conferences, because you don't need to shoot for a top-2 ranking by the end of the season. Just finish 1st or 2nd in your conference (SEC, ACC, Big-10, Big-XII, Pac-2) and you'd have a good shot at making the playoff.

That's why I prefer a plus-1 system (which would narrow it to the top-4 teams) over an all-out playoff. Then you're still worried about obtaining a top-4 ranking and in most seasons (this one notwithstanding) you can get a good idea of the top few teams. Plus it only requires one extra game.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
The greatest thing the BCS has going for it is that every game matters. Last year I was watching Rutgers/Louisville, Louisville/WVU, Cincinatti/Rutgers, UCLA/USC, OSU/UM with as much interest as a Gators game. If there was a playoff system no one would care what happens in other conferences, because you don't need to shoot for a top-2 ranking by the end of the season. Just finish 1st or 2nd in your conference (SEC, ACC, Big-10, Big-XII, Pac-2) and you'd have a good shot at making the playoff.

That's why I prefer a plus-1 system (which would narrow it to the top-4 teams) over an all-out playoff. Then you're still worried about obtaining a top-4 ranking and in most seasons (this one notwithstanding) you can get a good idea of the top few teams. Plus it only requires one extra game.

Im down with that. But this year... You would have USC, Mizzou, KU and LSU/OhioSt, vying to get into a 4 team playoff... with Georgia right there also.

There are sooo many different ways to look at it, but man, I would love to be able to watch them play more, and get to know these players better... and crown a true champion.

Id love for KU to replay MU... that would own.

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Im down with that. But this year... You would have USC, Mizzou, KU and LSU/OhioSt, vying to get into a 4 team playoff... with Georgia right there also.

There are sooo many different ways to look at it, but man, I would love to be able to watch them play more, and get to know these players better... and crown a true champion.

Id love for KU to replay MU... that would own.

It also has the possibility of happening, although there are obstacles:

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive, the Bowl Championship Series coordinator, repeated one more time that an "NFL-style" playoff isn't on the agenda.

The focus, Slive said, is keeping the regular season relevant, valuing the bowl structure and focusing on academics.

Slive said on a teleconference this week he remained "open-minded" about a Plus One format, which would add one game whose participants wouldn't be determined until after the bowls are played.

The bowl results would provide another reference point for determining the nation's two top teams.

Teams could be assigned as they are now or seeded, with Slive seeming to favor the second concept.

The earliest that a Plus One game could be implemented is 2011, in time for the new BCS TV contract. And it could provide the needed opening for the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic to return to elite bowl status, especially with its move to the Cowboys' new $1 billion stadium.

But even 2011 might be too optimistic. The Rose Bowl TV contract extends through 2014.

Earlier this year, Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen told the Sporting News that his conference would exit the BCS if a Plus One game was instituted.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/national/stories/113007dnspocarlton.2b37f5e.html

bkkcoh
01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
They were saying on ESPN radio back in December that they should take the champions of the 6 BCS conferences and then take the hottest team and the best of the rest and have an 8 team playoff. That seems like it would be the best scenario.

FAX
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Screw exams!!!! Snap the ball!!!

If Commodus were in charge, he'd give us some more games.

FAX

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Screw exams!!!! Snap the ball!!!

If Commodus were in charge, he'd give us some more games.

FAX
I dunno, he looks like a bit of a poof to me, NTTIAWTT.

http://home.wish.net/~mgelten/Staatshoofden/Romeinen/Commodus.jpg