View Full Version : Dolphins contact Rex Ryan

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Dolphins contact Rex Ryan

By Harvey Fialkov

Sun-Sentinel.com

5:27 PM EST, January 3, 2008

DAVIE

The Dolphins have been given permission to interview Rex Ryan, the former defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, for the vacant head coaching spot, but the meeting hasn't been scheduled.

Ryan, who was an integral cog in the Ravens' No. 1-ranked defense in 2006, was fired earlier this week along with Baltimore coach Brian Billick. Ryan was the defensive line coach during the Ravens' Super Bowl championship season of 2000.

Ryan is the son of legendary coach Buddy Ryan and twin brother of Rob Ryan, the Raiders defensive coordinator who has reportedly been fired today.

Still, the Dolphins No. 1 target is believed to be Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano, who called the plays for Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells in 2006, Parcells' last season as Dallas' coach. Sparano is slated to interview with the Falcons Friday, which means it's quite possible that Parcells will be heading to Dallas tonight.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolryan010307,0,2496419.story

el borracho
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I admit I did not pay much attention to them this year but the defense was a clear positive last year. Why in the world would the Raidurrs fire Rob Ryan?

jjchieffan
01-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I was wondering that myself. But when was the last time the faiders did something that made sense?

Crush
01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I admit I did not pay much attention to them this year but the defense was a clear positive last year. Why in the world would the Raidurrs fire Rob Ryan?

I think it is because Lane Kiffin really wants to hire his dad.

ChiefGator
01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
The Dolphins have been given permission to interview Rex Ryan, the former defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, for the vacant head coaching spot, but the meeting hasn't been scheduled.

Ryan, who was an integral cog in the Ravens' No. 1-ranked defense in 2006, was fired earlier this week...

Umm... who gave them permission? Who has to give them permission? NFL Front Office? The man is currently unemployed, isn't he?

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Umm... who gave them permission?

Harvey Fialkov

morphius
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Umm... who gave them permission? Who has to give them permission? NFL Front Office? The man is currently unemployed, isn't he?
That is what I was wondering as well.

blueballs
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Parcels is just looking for someone
to carry the groceries from the car

el borracho
01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
The Chiefs should contact Rob Ryan and offer him something. Hell, I think I would prefer him to Herm.

DaKCMan AP
01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
The Chiefs should contact Rob Ryan and offer him something.

A haircut?

FAX
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Odd. Ryan is a defensive guy, is he not? Why would Parcells want a defensive guy as HC?

Doesn't he read the papers?

FAX

el borracho
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
A haircut?
I don't really care if he's pretty or not; I'm more interested in his ability to coach and Ryan has done a great job with an uncoachable team.

doomy3
01-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Rex Ryan is still actually under contract for one more year from what I understand, even though he is unemployed. Weird I know. That means that if another team wanted to hire him for a lateral move (Defensive Coordinator), the Ravens could block that move.

blueballs
Shanahan is interviewing him and Cameron today
just to piss Cheif fans off

DaKCMan AP
I don't really care if he's pretty or not; I'm more interested in his ability to coach and Ryan has done a great job with an uncoachable team.

But what about style points? Style points don't mean anything in the NFL?

Woodrow Call
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
The Chiefs should contact Rob Ryan and offer him something. Hell, I think I would prefer him to Herm.

Al's up to his old tricks. I'm sure Kiffin is thrilled....

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=110976

Raiders spokesman confirmed Friday that the team will retain defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for the 2008 season.

Score one for Al Davis. Both Ryan and head coach Lane Kiffin thought Ryan was gone, and the NFL Network reported it Monday night. Kiffin clearly wanted to make a change and the Jets were believed to be ready to hire Ryan. While it may be difficult for Kiffin and Ryan to work together now, they are retaining a good coach. Any thoughts of switching to a Cover 2 scheme are over now. Just another Raider offseason

FAX
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
... Score one for Al Davis. Both Ryan and head coach Lane Kiffin thought Ryan was gone, and the NFL Network reported it Monday night. Kiffin clearly wanted to make a change and the Jets were believed to be ready to hire Ryan. While it may be difficult for Kiffin and Ryan to work together now, they are retaining a good coach. Any thoughts of switching to a Cover 2 scheme are over now. Just another Raider offseason

That's actually pretty funny. Thanks for posting, Mr. Archie Bunker.

FAX

doomy3
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
This thread is very confusing because it started as a thread about Rex Ryan and now is mostly about Rob Ryan.

Maybe it's because I have been in a thread with petegz28 all day, but color me confused.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Hell, I think I would prefer him to Herm.

DUH!!!

Herm blows and i would dump him in a heartbeat for this guy.

FAX
01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I think it's pretty interesting that Meg Ryan didn't make any movies during 2005 and 2006.

FAX

Ugly Duck
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I think it is because Lane Kiffin really wants to hire his dad.

me too