PDA

View Full Version : So...is Huckabee more Jimmy Carter, or Pat Robertson?

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Will Huckabee emerge as a Republican candidate who mirrors what Carter did in 1976, or will he be more similar to Pat Robertson in 1988? :hmmm:

Or maybe he's the next Reagan? Or a Republican version of Bill Clinton? :hmmm:

Heh.

Vote now.... :)

oldandslow
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Honestly, imo, he will not be relevant in 1 month and 2 days.

Romney is still going to win the nomination.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Honestly, imo, he will not be relevant in 1 month and 2 days.

Romney is still going to win the nomination.

You could be right; he may do okay in a few places...but Huck will fade, IMO too.

If Romney loses in NH, which appears quite possible....like Hillary, he'll be in big trouble.

Which opens the door to either McCain, or......well.....some other guy I can't quite remember his name, at the moment.... :hmmm:

;)

Cochise
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I really think he's got a better chance than you guys are giving him. When people get exposed to him, like someone posted in the Noonan article when he appeared on Leno, they love him. He's not my first choice but I'd have no problem casting a vote for him.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I really think he's got a better chance than you guys are giving him. When people get exposed to him, like someone posted in the Noonan article when he appeared on Leno, they love him. He's not my first choice but I'd have no problem casting a vote for him.

Like I said to oldandslow, you could be right. I could vote for him, or Romney--depending on the Dem nominee, and their campaign and platform.

I just think once the traditional/fiscal/Reagan conservative types (that are currently dispersed between three candidates) unite, Huck will fade.

I could see him getting the nod for VP though. :hmmm:

Bowser
01-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm no political aficionado, but I can't imagine it's good if you're being compared to either Carter or Robertson.

chagrin
01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm no political aficionado, but I can't imagine it's good if you're being compared to either Carter or Robertson.

He's only being compared to Pat Robertson because he's a Right Wing Christian, and in this forum that's the big controversial topic.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 09:08 AM

I'm talking about Carter the candidate, not the President.

Carter was very impressive....BEFORE he actually became President, that is. :shake:

He's only being compared to Pat Robertson because he's a Right Wing Christian, and in this forum that's the big controversial topic.

The comparison goes much farther than that, chagrin....

trndobrd
01-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm talking about Carter the candidate, not the President.

Carter was very impressive....BEFORE he actually became President, that is. :shake:

The comparison goes much farther than that, chagrin....

I've been comparing him to Carter as president. I just see him as a decent, articulate, faithful guy who would be entirely overwhelmed by the office of President.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I've been comparing him to Carter as president. I just see him as a decent, articulate, faithful guy who would be entirely overwhelmed by the office of President.

I tend to agree. But as candidates, both were able to impress.

I think Dems are licking their chops for a chance to face him in the general election, which should tell Reps all they need to know about the guy.

jAZ
01-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Huckabee should fade, the GOP establishment & their media pundits will try to destroy.

If he succeeds in holding the GOP institution at bay, it will be a hell of campaign.

jAZ
01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I tend to agree. But as candidates, both were able to impress.

I think Dems are licking their chops for a chance to face him in the general election, which should tell Reps all they need to know about the guy.
He's a lot stronger candidate in the general than he is in the GOP.

He's a populist Republican, which puts him in a very strong position in a general.

patteeu
01-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Or Clinton.

I voted "Clinton" because of the episode where he announced that he was going to take the high road and refuse to air the negative ad his team had created and then he proceeded to show the ad to the assembled reporters. He also had several static displays of information that negatively characterized the positions of his main rival (Mitt Romney) for the reporters to review while they waited for the conference to begin. That reminded me of the irony when Bill Clinton decried the "politics of personal destruction". And of course, his late night TV musicianship and the fact that he hails from Hope, Arkansas don't detract from the comparison either.

dirk digler
01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Or Clinton.

I voted "Clinton" because of the episode where he announced that he was going to take the high road and refuse to air the negative ad his team had created and then he proceeded to show the ad to the assembled reporters. He also had several static displays of information that negatively characterized the positions of his main rival (Mitt Romney) for the reporters to review while they waited for the conference to begin. That reminded me of the irony when Bill Clinton decried the "politics of personal destruction". And of course, his late night TV musicianship and the fact that he hails from Hope, Arkansas don't detract from the comparison either.

:deevee:

Sounds like sour grapes to me :p

patteeu
01-04-2008, 10:32 AM
:deevee:

Sounds like sour grapes to me :p

haha :)

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
He's a lot stronger candidate in the general than he is in the GOP.

He's a populist Republican, which puts him in a very strong position in a general.

Sure he'd play well with Conservative democratic/Southern/Evangelicals who occupy space on the left side of the political divide.....but once he was actually nominated, the anti-religious biogtry and subsequent cacaphony of of "he wants to create a theocracy!" bullshit from people like IrishJayhawk and other folks like you....would scare enough moderate and independent types, it might even be enough to allow Hillary to win if that's the matchup. It would certainly grease the skids for an Obama victory, IMO.

jAZ
01-04-2008, 11:11 AM
... the anti-religious biogtry and subsequent cacaphony of of "he wants to create a theocracy!" bullshit from ... folks like you....
It's really fun, making you look stupid.

(ranked 8th of 17 candidates behind only R's Powell and McCain and ahead of D's Kucinich and Gravel)

"Huckabee - R (don't like his policies, but trust him a lot... he's no Dubya)"

Will you Repubilcans please nominate Mike Huckabee?

I don't agree with his policies in large part, but he's someone I trust him based on everything I've heard him say.
Of the Republicans, I think he's the direct and honest. I might not agree with most of his positions, and he might be the biggest challenge to someone like Hillary Clinton... but at least you know what you are getting with him and I don't think he'll be unpredicatable (like Bush was) and say one thing to get elected knowing he was planning on doing EXACTLY the OPPOSITE the moment he was elected.

Adept Havelock
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
the anti-religious biogtry and subsequent cacaphony of of "he wants to create a theocracy!" bullshit from people like IrishJayhawk and other folks like you.

Well, if <s>Nehemiah Scudder</s> Huckabee will stop with his "Take the Country back for Christ" bullshit... :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
It's really fun, making you look stupid.

Stupid? That I didn't recall your luke-warm pansy-ansy equivocation (nttawwt, heh) and support for Huckabee...

Let's cut to the chase: under what circumstances would you VOTE for Huckabee? Come on, Jason....time to man-up. :)

I was merely recalling your generally strident contempt for religion.

Or maybe I'm getting you mixed up with AH.... :hmmm:

:)

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, if <s>Nehemiah Scudder</s> Huckabee will stop with his "Take the Country back for Christ" bullshit... :shrug:

Goodness....that IS an outrageous things to say at a conference of pastors and church members!!! :eek:

;)

Frankie
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Ayatollah Hukabee wants women to serve their men! ROFL

go bowe
01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
You could be right; he may do okay in a few places...but Huck will fade, IMO too.

If Romney loses in NH, which appears quite possible....like Hillary, he'll be in big trouble.

Which opens the door to either McCain, or......well.....some other guy I can't quite remember his name, at the moment.... :hmmm:

;)was it ted or red or fed or what?

go bowe
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I've been comparing him to Carter as president. I just see him as a decent, articulate, faithful guy who would be entirely overwhelmed by the office of President.i think you're right about this one...

overwhelmed is exactly the right word in this case...

go bowe
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
It's really fun, making you look stupid.my man kotter doesn't need any help in that regard, he can look stupid all on his own, thank you very much...

otoh, he can look very smart and insightful when he wants to...

he's a talented kind of guy when he isn't trying to bullshit people...

just don't give him any liquor...

ClevelandBronco
01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm cautious that Huck is Carteresque. I don't see him winning the nomination though, so I'll wait before I worry.

go bowe
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Ayatollah Hukabee wants women to serve their men! ROFLgood heavens man...

that's the funniest thing i've seen all day...

ayatollah huckabee... LMAO LMAO LMAO

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Huck is just under exposed and I think winning in Iowa will only help. He is the most charasmatic candidate in my opinion. I really don't see why all the hate for this guy, unless it's just hate for Christians. While I'm polar opposiste Obama on most issues, if it was Huck and Obama in the general election I would at least feel confident that someone with integrity would be our next president.

Taco John
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Goodness....that IS an outrageous things to say at a conference of pastors and church members!!! :eek:

;)

Why would he say it there, but not anywhere else?

Taco John
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Huck is just under exposed and I think winning in Iowa will only help. He is the most charasmatic candidate in my opinion. I really don't see why all the hate for this guy, unless it's just hate for Christians. While I'm polar opposiste Obama on most issues, if it was Huck and Obama in the general election I would at least feel confident that someone with integrity would be our next president.

That sounds like an Obama prediction to me...

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Could be, but 6 months ago did we really think Huck and Obama would in Iowa. Hard to say what could happen 6 months down the road. I really don't think the people in CP are an accurate sample the voting public. I see a lot of anti-christian remarks here and I would bet a large percentage of the voting population consider themselves christians. Also Obama is African American and when it's just you in that voting box how many vote the other way just because of that?

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Why would he say it there, but not anywhere else?
Because we live in a secular and diverse multi-cultural society, where separation of church and state....protects both sides, when applied as intended by the founding fathers.

Taco John
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Because we live in a secular and diverse multi-cultural society, where separation of church and state....protects both sides, when applied as intended by the founding fathers.

You could have just said because he was pandering, and doesn't want to share those views with other crowds.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
You could have just said because he was pandering, and doesn't want to share those views with other crowds.

He is a politician, isn't he? :shrug:

It's certainly a much less egregious violation of that than many others commit.

Cochise
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
He was in front of one group so he talked about things important to that group. If he were speaking at a factory I'd expect labor issues to be discussed and if he were at a teacher's convention I'd expect to hear about education and etc etc.

Jenson71
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
He was in front of one group so he talked about things important to that group. If he were speaking at a factory I'd expect labor issues to be discussed and if he were at a teacher's convention I'd expect to hear about education and etc etc.

I don't think you can write it off that easily, Cochise.

We need to get this country back to Jesus Christ is a *tad* bit stronger and more alarming than merely discussing labor issues or education.

I don't care who he's talking to. When you're a public servant in America, saying that is, besides incorrect (this country was never about serving Jesus), a huge red flag.

Cochise
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think you can write it off that easily, Cochise.

We need to get this country back to Jesus Christ is a *tad* bit stronger and more alarming than merely discussing labor issues or education.

I don't care who he's talking to. When you're a public servant in America, saying that is, besides incorrect (this country was never about serving Jesus), a huge red flag.

Gee, I bet he just lost your vote with that comment, didn't he. :rolleyes:

If you're speaking in front of a bunch of preachers, he might say the J**** C***** words... so ... just cover your fragile ears I suppose...

Iowanian
01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
"I want to remind people of the man they work with, not the one who laid them off"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbe2W58JFjM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbe2W58JFjM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here is some explanation of tax policy

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KWZIhQF1JKQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KWZIhQF1JKQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jenson71
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM

If you're speaking in front of a bunch of preachers, he might say the J**** C***** words... so ... just cover your fragile ears I suppose...

It's not that he said the words "Jesus Christ" - as in "Jesus was a man I personally admire, believe in, and helps guide my everyday decisions...etc"

It was that he said Jesus Christ, "I want to take our country back to Him" manner.

Jenson71
01-04-2008, 04:41 PM

By the way, I'd be glad to never vote for someone who wants to take the country back to Jesus.

I prefer Jesus out of my government. Our country wasn't serving to Jesus in the late 18th century. I think we did fine.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Where is the Satan option, that's the one i would choose.

patteeu
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
"I want to remind people of the man they work with, not the one who laid them off"

Another Clintonesque line: pretending to be a man of the people.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Another Clintonesque line: pretending to be a man of the people.

He's full of 'em. And he, like Clinton, is able to seem sincere....without coming across in a smarmy sort of way. It's gonna be interesting to see how far he goes.

irishjayhawk
01-05-2008, 02:25 PM
How bout a dipshit? I don't see "other" option. :p